Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:29:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New LP's that disappoint and those that don't! (Read 13018 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

New LP's that disappoint and those that don't!
06/08/17 at 04:14:21

Purchased a couple new albums and based on the sound quality my system is capable of with good LP's, these were both disappointing.

The first one was Peter Gabriel "US" on RealWorld records which is a 3 LP 180 gram 45 RPM half-speed remaster numbered limited edition.  I could only get down two of the five sides before I gave up.  Bass heavy, and lack of transparency.  Not what I was expecting and seriously disappointing.

The second one was Piano Guys "Uncharted" on Portrait Records/Sony Music Masterworks which is a single LP 180 gram 33 RPM pressing.  Sound quality was better but still not opening up and lacked transparency.  Pretty obvious it's a digitally recorded and mastered album as the album sounds just barely better than the MP3 stream from the internet.

Prior to this has been several similar experiences with new LP's where it sounds like it is mastered for CD and then dumped to LP for the novelty of it rather than for the sound quality.

There is no point to have records for the novelty of it.  In both cases I could have gotten the MP3's to sound as good or actually sound better, and it's just proof that it doesn't matter how good the quality of the record is if the recording sucks, nor does it matter how good the quality of the recording is if the pressing sucks.

It makes me realize that wining the vinyl vs. digital debate will never be easy since a good DAC would actually sound better than many of todays pressing.

-steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
AKABibbleup
Verified Member

Re: New LP's that disappoint
Reply #1 - 08/02/17 at 19:45:14

Hi Steve. Long time lurker/ future customer. Saw this thread isn't getting any love....

New vinyl can be hit or miss. I think the 2002 Classic Records reissue of US had some decent reviews and would be the preferred 45 RPM copy to own.

As an aside I just picked up a mint promo Quiex II copy of Laurie Anderson's 'Mister Heartbreak' for $7 which features PG on Excellent Birds (from 'So'). Anderson's version is superior IMO. Talk about OOBE out of body exp...

More Awful new vinyl:
- Ed Sheeran's + I'd attribute most of the awfulness to the Orange vinyl. Follow up 'X' 180g x 2 45 RPM was much better.

Skeptical about getting Sheeran's most recent as I have a feeling Ed is not quite happy with how his vision is translating (or 'being' translated) to recorded product for commercial release.  He is way past due for a new producer (e.g.: George Massenburg or T-Bone Burnett)  

New vinyl done right:
Bettye Lavette - 'Thankful and Thoughtful' 2x 45
Also heard the reissues of the first 3 ZZ Top releases were outstanding

IP Logged
Pappakap
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/27/18 at 19:50:56

Any opinion on the pressings coming out of Jack White’s Third Man Records? They really push their in house produced vinyl and I’ve wondered how the quality is.

IP Logged
eag618
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/14/18 at 21:04:24

Thank you for that Steve, in my quest for 5 posts Wink

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 05/15/18 at 04:46:41

Thanks for bump!  Knowing which pressings to buy or to avoid is most of the game for sure.  I changed the thread title to:

One of the most pleasant new finds recently has been STOCKFISH records.  Direct Metal Mastering.  Fantastic sound from every one I've heard so far.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: New LP's that disappoint and those that don't!
Reply #5 - 05/25/18 at 19:31:04

Anyone have input on the Vinyl release of The Wallflowers - Bringing down the horse
I'd like the Vinyl release but, do not want to be disappointed in the vinyls sound quality! Thanks - Ace

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/25/18 at 19:54:16

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7 - 05/26/18 at 15:16:08

Thanks Lon,  Yup I read this one. So, guess I will take a leap of faith and buy the 2x12 LP.  I hope Lucy is well and recovered now. No fun to be sick for so long.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 05/26/18 at 15:26:53

She's better Ace, not 100 percent, but better; she worked two half days this week and is hoping to get a lot of rest this three day weekend (lots of headphone listening for me!). It's been a crappy month . . . maybe next month will be better.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #9 - 07/24/18 at 02:21:41

Hello Steve,
And others of course,
I have a lot of re-issues and newer records. Most are very good, but the majority are not as good as the original first pressing for what I see as a very simple reason. The older the original pressing, the older the original master tape, and they degrade over time. I have a LOT of early first pressings, and I always prefer them over the reissues. They sound alive in a way my re-issues ( MOFI, DCC, Analog Productions ) do not.

Because of this ( my thoughts of course ), I'm chasing first pressings of my fav. early classic rock recordings, and most of my re-issue stuff is heading for the auction block/

Understand and completely agree,

Cheers,              Crazy Bill

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/27/18 at 05:18:59

On a good note I have found 3 decent contemporary records that aren't disappointing.  First off is an offering from Quality Record Pressings.  Miles Davis' Some Kind of Blue (45rpm) seems to do a fine job.  No complaints here.  Second pressing is by Music On Vinyl.  Ravi Shankar and Philip Glass' Passages.  There is a lot of info in those grooves!  And finally we have a most unfortunately posthumous record from Allen Toussaint.  Pressed by Nonesuch the record American Tunes is rich with musicality.  The most compelling of the three listed in my opinion.  I can fully recommend any or all of these records.      

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
s3steve

Reply #11 - 03/18/20 at 20:51:59

I just purchased Marcus Miller's Laid Black.
180 gm 2 LP set. Says 33 1/3 RPM. Once playing it seemed fast?
Lets try it at 45 RPM. ah that's better.
In fact is sounds great!

Just not so much at 33 1/3!

I really like this guy but not a lot of vinyl out there from him.

It didn't disappoint!!!

CSP3-25
SE34I.5
Ariston RD11
PS Audio GCPH with the Underwood upgrade
Bluesound Node N130
Altec 605B's in a 620 Cabinet / JBL 2402 / Markwart 605B Time Aligned Crossover
Omega Super 3 XRS
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print