Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 19:24:58 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Wanna hear what TAPE sounds like? (Read 16530 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Wanna hear what TAPE sounds like?
Reply #150 - 03/01/18 at 05:32:57

This is fantastic news Steve!!   I'll reach out to the next in line to get this back going again.

Palomino, you were the current holder of the machine when it went belly up and I know you never got to give it a proper test drive.  Would you be interested in giving it another shot?  Ill be getting back to a 2 week rotation so if you have time over the next couple weeks to run it again, and post some commentary, then the machine will be back in your hands.  No biggie either way.  If not, I will go ahead and reach out to the next tour member.  

Quote:
The only thing it really needs to sound beyond respectable is a tube preamp following it.

I concur.  Tried it both ways and with the tube pre-amp, it was across the board better.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 03/01/18 at 11:52:54

Thanks Jeff, but I think it best that the tape machine not re-enter the CDApS vortex.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #152 - 03/01/18 at 15:57:28

Grin  Understood!  I'll check to see who's next up.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #153 - 03/05/18 at 19:35:55

It's ready to ship, I just need the next name and address.  send to steve @ zenamps.com

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #154 - 03/06/18 at 15:37:44

Just waiting to hear back from Bottlehead if he is ready and willing to take the tape rig at this point in time.  As soon as I confirm who it is that will be receiving the gear, I’ll fire off an email with the shipping details.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 03/07/18 at 05:34:58

Hey Jeff,

PM sent, thanks for the heads up.

Randy

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #156 - 03/20/18 at 02:53:27

To all on the tour. I received player and vhs tapes safely today!
Gonna do some listening after dinner.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #157 - 04/03/18 at 06:40:37

Hey Acetone/Neighbor,
How’s the listening going?  Sorry for not checking in sooner, but I was out of town the last week.  

It takes awhile to absorb everything and to gather your thoughts.  I played all of the tapes 3 times straight before even attempting to form any opinions.  I then played each tape, one-by-one, while taking my observation notes before compiling them at the end.   I tend to be systematic so as to not become overwhelmed and discouraged/demotivated.  There is a LOT to listen to and while enjoyable no doubt, it can become a bit much when critically listening.  

Most importantly, have fun!  This should be an enjoyable and hopefully enlightening experience.  

Cheers,
Jeff

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #158 - 04/28/18 at 02:11:08

bump

WWW   IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #159 - 04/28/18 at 16:51:34

Hey Jeff,  

I've listened to the Palamino and hat band tapes mostly. Both are very, very nice. A warmth that I believe can only be had with spinning vinyl in my system. I have the Eva Cassidy - live at blues alley CD and can say that the tape stomped it....absolutely!! The player is just a bit noisy which is the only issue I had during softer passages of music. Unfortunately I have no LP's or Streaming to compare to the tape. But, other reviews have covered those format comparisons well.
I have the player packed and ready to go (did you get my notice?). Seems a few on the list have, for various reasons, backed off leaving me with the player for some time now.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #160 - 04/28/18 at 17:03:09

Hi Ace,
Thanks for the update and no, the last message I received was when the equipment first landed at your place.  

I will reach out to next in line and see where it goes next.  Once I get confirmation, I will send you over the shipping info.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #161 - 05/02/18 at 18:41:25

Boxertwin is next up!  Equipment will be on the way via Acetone.  The tour lives on!

For any of you on the list who deferred due to bad timing, let me know if when you are ready to be re-activated on the list.  At this point we are all caught up so whoever gets added/re-added will get the gear after Boxertwin.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #162 - 05/08/18 at 17:11:27

Tape tour-Pelican case is on it's way to Boxertwin.
Departed Monday! Enjoy!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #163 - 05/09/18 at 03:41:01

Great to hear Ace!  Thanks for getting that shipped off and hopefully it was a fun journey.  At some point, you will hear the real deal with my SonoruS tape rig.   Smiley

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #164 - 05/09/18 at 15:02:02

Jeff,  I look forward to hearing your new speakers, the RtR and the enhanced ZMA2! Let me know your next free day and I will try to make it happen!

IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #165 - 05/20/18 at 16:51:35

I received the Pelican case with tape machine in good apparent shape a few days ago and have tried many things to get it to play to no avail. After trying different tapes and every possible combination of buttons, can't get it to rewind or fast forward more than a couple of seconds. PLAY will light up on the display and some hiss starts but no matter, it will only engage for a second or two before shutting down (as if at end of tape). Very frustrating..........  Any input or advise is welcome from anyone that knows this machine. Samsung VR8460.

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #166 - 05/22/18 at 06:32:24

I now understand that Father Murphy (of Murphy's Laws) was a dissgruntaled wannabe audiophile who was both intellecually and finically challanged and couldn't afford a tape machine so his scortch-the-earth campaign to make audiophiles miserable just because his stereo sucked and he couldn't admit it...  what an ass.  I'm sure UPS isn't helping matters any but that just suggest he probably worked for UPS after getting fired from a stereo store.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is if you have access to another VHS try it.  Even I can't overcome the super natural while I'm living, but this little ass better have an exit strategy after I die.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #167 - 05/25/18 at 16:12:25

OK, I have purchased a replacement VCR identical to the one on tour and I should get it in a few days.
I had received the original machine packed nicely in its Pelican case but it refuses to work. This was actually the second machine sent onto the tour. Evidently shipping these things takes a toll on them. Anyway, I have a new machine on the way to replace it and after listening to it a couple of weeks, I will send it on to the next person on the list. I really want to hear those tapes!
Randy

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #168 - 05/30/18 at 04:28:56

YES!  

I just had a vision!  Keep in mind I have dressed as a service man and went to the UPS hub to watch and see for myself what happens to packages.  Most of it is employee abuse.  Kicking packages into the back of trucks.  The rule at UPS or any shipper is a package can be trown as far as you can throw it or dropped as high as you can drop it and if it breaks it's our fault.

Anyway back to the vision, it's the handle.  The case is too small and the damn thing has a handle.  They are taking it by the handle and trowing it 5 times farther than is possible with any box that has no handle.  Picture winding up and whipping it as hard as you can into the wall of the truck at every stop and you begin to see why it is breaking.  They are cracking the circuit board.  Another reason why I hate circuit big circuit boards.

Cut the damn handle off the case and it will go back to just being kicked and thrown, which it can handle.  I appologise for not seeing it sooner.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #169 - 05/30/18 at 12:39:26

That would be funny if it weren't so true! So you really dressed as an employee and went undercover....................... wish you had pictures! I will cut the handle off of the Pelican case before it goes out again......... makes sense. I should get the new unit tomorrow, according to UPS. I just hope it was packed decently, and doesnt have a handle.
Randy

IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #170 - 05/31/18 at 02:53:07

The new VHS machine was on my doorstep when I got home this evening. It was loosely packed in a single cardboard box, partially taped shut. It was packed with a little crumpled paper around it. How it survived shipping I don't know but it plays beautifully.
I didn't have too much time but I played parts of Dick's Hat Band and a fair amount of Palamino's tape and I was blown away by the quality of sound. My room is not the best and it is usually hard to discern much difference in hardware. Also my ears are not nearly as good as many of yours. I mean, there is probably no way I could detect differences in power cords or speaker cables. But the difference in sound quality was amazing. I did a little A/B ing between Tidal and the tape and there is a huge difference. I was listening to the VHS with a CSP2+ and a Torii Mk 4.  The speakers were MG 944's and I listened a bit through my DNA's. I will elaborate more after some more listening.
Randy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #171 - 06/01/18 at 02:22:55

Quote:
The new VHS machine was on my doorstep when I got home this evening. It was loosely packed in a single cardboard box, partially taped shut. It was packed with a little crumpled paper around it. How it survived shipping I don't know but it plays beautifully.

That pretty well proves my handle theory.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #172 - 06/01/18 at 02:35:48

Yes, I dressed like an outside service man because I had my blue uniforms and tool belts from the days when I did refrigeration and food equipment repair. One of the things I didn't expect to see was a giant conveyor belt on the second floor, some 20 feet above the concrete loading docks. It was the length of the building and at least 6 feet wide or more. At the end was an opening where the packages fall into a black abyss. Brillently the designers of this opening made it narrower than the belt. When I first got out there it was just in time to see a package jam at the end of the line where the packages wouldn't go through the opening. All of the packages on the belt at the end and about 8 feet back were being slowly smashed as the belt continued to go and the weight of 1800 packages continue to come. Suddendly one package couldn't stand the force and shot out of the pileup like a water melon seed and careened through the air, over the hand rail and down to the concrete some 20 feet below.

We stopped having shipping damage after that day because I changed how we pack things.  

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #173 - 06/01/18 at 05:13:57

Hi Randy,
It is great to hear that the new machine arrived and despite the shoddy packaging, it survived the trip.  Thanks for doing that by the way!

Your reaction to the tape sound characteristic is the intent behind this tour.  Analog tape sound is unique and once you hear it, regardless of your ability to wax poetically about all of its greatness, you know it is special.  

Now, can you imagine a true master reel-to-reel on a tube-based tape playback system?  When I get a second I am going to post some pictures and write about my experience at Ed Pong’s UltraAnalogue Recordings this past week while in Toronto.  

I am looking forward to reading more about your impressions.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #174 - 06/14/18 at 02:43:12

Very much looking forward to your story!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 06/14/18 at 03:59:51

Hey JoA,

I have been wondering about your experience on your trip to Ed Pong's. Hoping that you get some time soon to "take us along" for the ride.

Randy

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #176 - 06/14/18 at 04:25:15

Your posts are timely. I am literally listening to the first of three tapes I purchased from Ed of the recordings of the entire Narek concert that I was present at.  I was sitting 15 feet from Narek and Pianist Benjamin Smith and I am literally stunned right now. I am so giddy and excited inside I am not even sure how to gather my thoughts.  I am going to share with you this entire experience from my visit with Ed Pong at his place the Friday before the concert, the concert itself, and my impressions of these three tapes of the concert I just received yesterday.  Holy bejesus!  I don’t think I was quite prepared for this evening’s listening of my first set of UltraAnalogue tapes.   More to follow.....

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #177 - 06/23/18 at 02:35:24

I think I speak for everyone when I say the suspense is killing us.  See if you can find some coffee and write while you listen. : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #178 - 08/05/18 at 03:46:44

Earth to Jeff... come in Jeff...

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #179 - 08/14/18 at 07:47:37

Ha!  Sorry, I was "abducted" by forces far stronger than me.  Here is Part 2!   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print