Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 20:04:31 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Wanna hear what TAPE sounds like? (Read 16545 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Wanna hear what TAPE sounds like?
Reply #100 - 10/28/17 at 15:14:50

PS-Linton.....yes, my LS-2B MkII adds convenience of volume for my beloved ZMA... . Most importantly, the transparency and definition density of this unit with a single Mullard in her class A Hybrid/FET......driving through my ZMA.

Cool part is....I have five Amps:

LS-2B/Mullard 7308/E188CC (Cryo'd) to Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ...inputs ZMA
LS-2B/Mullard 7308/E188CC (   "   ) to Tungsram 6922/E88CC ...inputs ZMA

ZMA direct from ZDSD with Ediswan (Cryo'd) CV2492/6922 ....as inputs
ZMA direct from ZDSD with  Mullard (Cryo'd) 7308/E188CC ....as inputs
ZMA direct from ZDSD with Russian 6N23N/P-EB ....as inputs

......constant inverter/ZMA, is.....Telefunken /6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
......all input tubes and inverter's.....NOS Platinum
......RCA NOS 0A3's
......new production Tung-Sol KT66's (replaced on average/22 months)
......input and inverter 6922 tube variants....good for 7500 to 10,000 hours...worth every penny!

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/6922-6dj8-7308-pcc88

PS-do not get the Matsushita National PCC88/7DJ8 = not good in ZMA/Decware. Now, the Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8....incredible pair of tubes. .....and what my single Mullard from the LS-2B, puts forth to the Tung' 7DJ8 or Tung' 6922....matches made in heaven, when running my ARC to ZMA. ZMA alone, thrives on my Mull's and Edi's alone as inputs...Not driven into by my LS-2B. .....you can say I've found my tube combinations for my 5 ZMA's in one!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #101 - 10/28/17 at 16:08:33

Thank you and it's my pleasure Stone!  The experience with the SVHS is worth it and I hope more people jump on the list!  That player run through my Ultra pre-amp to my ZMA was astonishing!  

Decware peeps... you gotta give this thing a listen.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
linton
Verified Member

Reply #102 - 10/31/17 at 03:53:54

The gear is on its way to Stone.

I agree with Jeff; The experience with the SVHS gear is worth it...I'll post my impressions asap

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #103 - 10/31/17 at 22:40:35

Thanks Rob! I so look forward to this........ .  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #104 - 11/03/17 at 22:26:42

The Eagle has landed.

Look forward to hooking her up tomorrow morning with coffee. I wish I had J of A's Joe.....but mine will have to do.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #105 - 11/06/17 at 05:22:03

Hey Stone,
Happy to hear the goods are in hand!  Not expecting any reviews as you've only had it for a New York minute, but so far so good?

If there was any room in that kit, I would have inserted a stash of beans for subsequent tape tour participants.  If Steve makes room in these tour cases in the future, I will provide the beans.  ;)

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #106 - 11/06/17 at 05:26:41

And Linton...  where you been?  Been waiting to read about your impressions.   Wink

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #107 - 11/09/17 at 17:38:10

me too.... Stone I can't believe you've been mum on this so far.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
linton
Verified Member

Reply #108 - 11/10/17 at 20:56:14

System used for evaluation:  
Sources:  Samsung SVHS, DAC (16-bit, R2R, battery powered)
Pre Amp:  McIntosh C220
Amp: Decware Torii Jr.
Speakers:  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower w/Raal

Hi All,

I finally found time to jot down my experiences with the SVHS rig – thanks for including me on the tour!

As I’ve mentioned before, my primary goal was to A/B the Palomino tape with my 320kbps steaming playlist and compare Steve’s recording technique with the digital stream.  Unfortunately, that tape seems to be balanced about 3-5db louder on the left channel: This caused the soundstage to jump to the left and then back to the middle while doing a dynamic A/B switch between the two sources (the other 3 tapes were spot-on with regard to balance). Not sure if Jeff and Stone have experienced this with the Palomino tape or not – I’m curious to find out.

My C220 doesn’t provide a feature to configure balance per source, so I decided to adjust the balance for the tape, sit back and enjoy.  When comparing that tape with my digital source, the sound -- to me --was very similar – there are the added (enjoyable) tape artifacts that I like, but I wasn’t really blown away by this tape compared with my streaming set-up. But then I loaded the Dick’s Hat Band tape…

I was blown away by that tape! Dick’s Hat Band. Great music, analog tape lusciousness. I was really drawn-in to that recording. Surprisingly good sound quality from the SVHS rig. For me, there’s no fair comparison between streaming and that analog sound.

The Ed Pong tape – Amazing talent, the recording made me feel like I was right there in the room with them. I think this was the best example from the set of how good tape can sound – truly realistic audio. I wish there were a few more tracks on this one.

The Toronto Mix – I enjoyed the live venue, with the interesting show introduction and subtle crowd noises – very realistic, great music, enjoyable tape.

My conclusions from this exercise:
1.      Steve has done an amazing job, sharing his experiments with the SVHS format and encouraging those who are interested to try new things with old gear. Thanks for all you do for the Decware community.

2.      SVHS sounds very good to me. However, I have a small room and listen near field; I could hear the relatively noisy deck during quiet passages and between tracks – that bugs me and tends to take me out of the flow.

3.      I’m going to buy a Reel-Reel deck ASAP and begin the journey. I thoroughly enjoyed the analog tape experience and kept saying to myself, “I’ve got to hear more of this” – I love analog, phono being my source of choice. I prefer to sit down and listen to albums, not individual songs. Like the phono, the tape will continue to facilitate the full-album, analog paradigm that I crave and enjoy.

Jeff – Your reviews are detailed, impressive and fun to read, I look forward to hearing from the others on the tour.

Headed off to eBay,
Rob

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 11/11/17 at 00:23:44

I was talking to Steve at the fest and it wasn't until then that I realized the Palomino tape was one of my mixes.  Duh...

Looking forward to hearing this in my rig.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #110 - 11/11/17 at 15:02:25

maddog & J of A....I have been mum...till linton had a chance to respond and ....getting my 3rd session in this weekend.

Maddog....I will get it out to you on Monday and get you the tracking # in PM.

linton! ....same here, the Palomino tape drove me nuts with the left channel skew....but, the Dick Hat's ....was fun too.  I'll say more later..... .

System for Listening:

Room Treatment by Mike Green and my home brew

Samsung VCR HI-FI

WBT RCA Kimber KS1030 ~.5 meter

Audio Research Stereo Line Stage Amplifier w/remote volume & mute LS-2B MkII
NOS Platinum/Mullard 7308/E188CC / Cryogenic

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

currently.....NOS Platinum Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair....in for Inputs/ZMA

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's

ZMA adjusted at  70-90% Gain ~ w/ARC Line Stage, running via Remote Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are
Also Read.....the lowest noise floor you will ever witness....that a $5180 pair of speaker cables should have....and they do.....(I was fortunate to get them for $2680/Demo pair/mint, from the CableCo....worth every penny/extraordinary realism.....)

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 53Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/6 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ARC Pre, and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #111 - 11/12/17 at 03:11:59

I have just completed a new SVHS Palomino tape to replace the one with the skewed channels. I'll need a shipping address to send it to. I'll include a return shipping label for the damaged tape.  

I traced the problem to a drifting tube. The new tape I calibrated both machines with a MBL calibration tape at every frequency from 20~20kHz with both channels +/- 1dB anywhere in that spectrum. My guess is that this tape will sound better because there is not a hint of distortion or saturation anywhere on the tape, which I don't think was the case on the first one.

Everything I thought sounded very good this time around, with the only issue being 3 seconds of static in the left channel on track 2, and an exaggerated echo on track 8.

I monitored everything during the recording with the ZMF Eikons plugged directly into the SVHS mastering deck.  Now I'm getting ready to play the tape using both the headphones and an SE84UFO2 on speakers to see how close it is to what I heard during the recording.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #112 - 11/12/17 at 03:50:50

Well, it didn't go well.  There are lots of little micro pops for lack of a better term, little holes where there is no music.  I used an old tape that I thought would be good... Lesson learned.  Will try again tomorrow with a fresh tape.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #113 - 11/12/17 at 13:32:10

Steve, ship the fresh tape to maddog. I'm shipping the unit & tapes out to him tomorrow.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #114 - 11/13/17 at 00:16:00

Tape is ready.  I'll need someone to email me (steve@zenamps.com) mad dogs address.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #115 - 11/14/17 at 01:19:34

Linton,
Thanks for your review comments!  I was out camping this weekend, so I was "off the grid" and didn't see your post until today.  And as far as the output imbalance, I noted the same observations in my review.  And it looks like Steve confirmed what you, me, and Stone were in fact experiencing with the faulty tubes.  

I chuckled after reading your comment about the near field noisy deck.  I could see how that would annoy.  At the distance I was listening, it was undetectable.  I can however imagine hearing that pitch of the motors spinning at close distance and can't blame you for being distracted by that ambient noise.  

As far as the Dicks Hat Band, and the others (especially the UltraAnalogue sampler), they are in a different league and are a more direct representation of the overarching benefit of analog tape - simply because the source was great.  But, I really enjoyed the Palomino Tape for what it was.  

Rob, your experience is what this whole tape tour is all about!  I am so happy to hear that you were moved/intrigued/interested enough in what you heard to want to explore this whole tape thing further by grabbing yourself a R2R machine.  Let me know what you find and if you want to bounce anything off me. I did a great deal of research prior to my initial purchase.  If you love analog, it is the best playback type.  

That being said, do you have a ZP3?  If so, I may have something for you.  

Thanks for the sharing your experience Rob!

Cheers,
Jeff

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #116 - 11/14/17 at 11:54:57

On its way to Maddog.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #117 - 11/14/17 at 21:33:28

sent you an email Steve....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #118 - 11/15/17 at 03:30:32

Got the address and the package will ship tomorrow on 11/15 Smiley

Thanks!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #119 - 11/15/17 at 05:51:49

Decware Tape Tour Schedule:  https://tinyurl.com/decwaretapetour

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #120 - 11/15/17 at 18:28:26

the spousal unit just pinged me and told me that a package arrived this morning from Stone.

I won't have a chance to fire it all up till the weekend... will post more after I give it a listen....

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #121 - 11/27/17 at 06:23:20

Hey Stone,
Would love to hear your take on the Tape Tour gear.  Have you had a chance to put into words your experience listening to the VHS tapes?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #122 - 11/28/17 at 02:03:37

I enjoyed these tapes very much. I could hear where you guys are coming from and your passion for the format. I hope to hear Steve's masters someday by appt. and gear.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #123 - 11/28/17 at 15:38:59

the tapes have been auditioned on my system, and Sunday at another audio bud's house, along with four other folks and over several different combinations of equipment.

Steve also sent a new & improved version of the Palamino tape... which will be passed along to the next person on the list.

not sure where Steve is going with this.  I don't know of a way to make tape copies in a high-quality, rapid fashion.  But I personally would pay $$ to get a copy (on SVHS) of some of the masters Steve has for sure.

these tapes definitely illustrate the SQ potential of the medium.  On the right system... the first thing I seemed to notice about these tapes was the "naturalness" of the sound and how well the speakers disappeared as a sound source.  I think this may be at least partially due to the analog tape medium and not necessarily "just" the quality of the recording.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #124 - 11/29/17 at 02:14:34

Haha... Rapid fashion... that's a good one.  

It makes for a great opportunity though to point out that the trick with hi-end tapes is that there is always a one-to-one transfer rate. It's real time. So if the tape is 50 minutes, the copy will take 50 minutes plus the setup and take down time, so 100 minutes to make the tape. The price of a real of high bias master tape is around $80 a reel and it takes two reels to do an album... so it it makes sense to see prices of up to $250 a reel if the person's equipment is worthy of the dupe, and his time is worth anything it's actually a deal. You have to realize that noone has a music library that is all tape in todays world. And master tapes are rare jewels that if you own a few you can have some real fun amazing yourself and friends with your stereo gear.

On a different note, there are those who heard the defective Palomino tape, that if they had a HI-FI VHS player and wanted to hear a non-defective one I'm sure I could probably make another one and send it out if you wanted to report on the tape.  Otherwise wait until I do another one, from better source files and we can do another tape tour.

If people purchased their own HI-FI VHS or SVHS players, we could make the tape tour a regular and ongoing thing, the only requirement would be a full report posted here in the forum on each tape you hear.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #125 - 11/30/17 at 11:05:50

DB2, you are up!  I sent a PM to get your address as Maddog is ready to ship the gear to you.  Let me know either way so I can ship to you or the next in line.  I want to keep things moving.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #126 - 11/30/17 at 22:28:49

I have two SVHS players laying around.  One Panasonic and one JVC.  So bring on the tapes..!!!  

Since DB2 is not responding... and I still have the tour player and tapes - I think I shall give the new Palimino tape "another" listen on the rig I currently(I swap components in/out quite a bit) have in my listening room. Which is a set of Randy's Betsy Baffles (baffle enhanced/braced from the stock Betsy baffle) driven by my beloved Torii III.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #127 - 12/08/17 at 06:15:04

The Tape Tour gear is headed toward Lonely Raven, next up to bat!  

Thanks Maddog and please post your impressions/commentary when you are able.  

Passing the gear around is great, but its the impressions and discussion here on the forum that provides the greatest insight, so all involved - please spew at will!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #128 - 12/09/17 at 21:11:42

Raven....

I am having trouble contacting you.  Please check email and PM's.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #129 - 12/12/17 at 15:51:46

the VCR and tapes should be in LR's hands tomorrow/Wednesday.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 12/12/17 at 18:21:24

We will be tag teaming on this one as I think I am next on the list.  Maybe we will have it for the upcoming CDApS meeting.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #131 - 12/13/17 at 01:47:42

That sounds like a damn good plan.  Have fun gents!  Can't wait to hear your commentary.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #132 - 12/16/17 at 17:25:50

Hey Maddog,
Any comments and opinions you can share regrading the tape rig and the tapes that were included in the tour?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 12/21/17 at 01:03:45

Got the deck from Raven's place today.  Pretty basic deck. Plugged it in and put in the Palomino tape.  Wonderful mix.  The author is to be complimented Roll Eyes

Seriously though, it took me about 5 seconds in to the first song to hear the density and fullness.  I also was expecting more hiss.  I listened to only 4 songs but enjoyed them all.

I also put in my pro level Sony exiting deck and did not hear a noticeable difference.  Also the pro deck has a full time fan running so it's a no go. I also tried an old prosumer editing deck but it was DOA.

I did hear some distortion in at least one song but overall I was impressed with the SQ.  I was not expecting it to be this good.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #134 - 01/03/18 at 03:25:19

Geese guys, I've been sick with the flu for 11 days and have still managed to listen to quite a few tapes.  I realize it's the holidays but lets try to focus here !

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 01/03/18 at 14:05:37

Sorry Steve,

Lots going on here with health situations and my wife being out of town.  I was barely able to pull off the last CDApS meeting.  Raven was also out of town till the 28th or so as well.

We had planned to dedicate some time to tape during the CDApS but ran into technical issues.  Something going on with the deck.  It worked fine when I had it last plugged in but now it is producing static.  I tried to adjust the tracking, but didn't get anywhere.

So I plugged in my consumer deck and also had issues with it taking in the tape and ejecting it.  So we didn't want to get into an eaten tape situation so I switched to my pro deck and listened.  We all agreed that he Dick Hat Band tape gave us the most reel to reel type sound.  Definitely toe tapping music and great density.

I'll send you an email to discuss where to go next with the deck.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #136 - 01/05/18 at 22:09:07

Wednesday night I got the deck to play out of both channels, but only very softly.  

I will keep messing with it as well as seeing if I can get my own deck to reliably eject the tape.  If so, I may replace the deck with my own and send it on to the next listener.  

I'll either ship the original deck back to Steve or send it with Raven on his next trip to Peoria.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #137 - 01/05/18 at 23:47:39

Pal,
Thanks for helping to troubleshoot this.  Sorry for the issues with the deck.  Bummer it interfered with being able to listen.  Just keep me updated and I will coordinate the best course of action to get it back to Steve for repair or to shipment to the next tour member.  

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 01/08/18 at 22:32:57

Jeff,

I'll send you a PM.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #139 - 01/08/18 at 23:22:37

I’m not one to pen “novels” about a topic as “subjective” as human hearing perception.  I did allude to my opinion of the tapes in post#123.
I will reiterate here, that the first thing I noticed was how “natural” the sound from the tapes was and how well the few pairs of speakers I listened to the tapes on, disappeared.  I also observed no tape hiss, at my listening position, on very, very sensitive speakers (approx. 99db).  I also summed up my “opinion” by stating that I would be willing to spend my own $$ to get some of Steve’s music on SVHS tape – what more positive thing could I say than that I am willing to spend money on the format...!! Smiley

I own probably half or more of the music that was on the Palamino Mix tape (the new corrected one).  So I was familiar with how it sounds on my system, of which the source (most of the time) is from a hard disk that a CD was ripped to.  It did not take long to notice a “difference” in the sound.  Again I would describe this as an “analog ease” to the music on the tape.  When we consider the source was a low bit rate internet stream, this only makes it more remarkable.  I am anxiously awaiting Steve’s new proprietary ADC process too.  The Ed Pong tape, though not the type of music I regularly listen to, was superb – approaching about as “real” as it gets in home music reproduction IME.  The Women’s Music Club of Toronto was not far behind the Ed Pong to my ears.  The Dicks Hat Band tape also exhibited similar naturalness, flow and density, though not to the same extent as the others.

I would encourage anyone who can, to take an opportunity to listen to these tapes…. You’re likely to have an “a-ha” moment and get the notion that you now know what everybody’s talking about, when they talk about analog superiority.  It just sounds "right".....

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #140 - 01/09/18 at 02:14:53

Palomino

Send the unit and tapes back to me directly.  If the player has tanked I'll throw it in the trash and see what is available as a replacement.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #141 - 01/09/18 at 07:26:14

Thanks Maddog for taking the time to post your comments on the Tape Tour experience.  I'm very much an advocate of this format, as you know.  But it is helpful, no, NEEDED, to have people who are not biased or predisposed to wax poetically about tape, to actually experience it and share with others how they feel about it.  

That's really the spirit and motivation behind this Tape Tour.  It's not for guys like me - who already buy into the format - to merely spew on about how amazing it is.  It's too easy for those cautious or skeptical to write this banter off as self-serving rhetoric or ego stroking.  Getting into tape is not easy, convenient or cheap.  There are more reasons not to get into tape, than reasons to get into tape.  But the only reason that matters relates to the sound.  There simply is nothing else like it.  Vinyl can come close, but whenever I spin up some of my "prize possession" tapes on my SonoruS rig, I realize it simply can't compete.  Don't get me wrong.  I love vinyl and have invested heavily into my vinyl system.  But the magic of tape is undeniable when certain conditions are met.  This Tape Tour is a sliver of what tape greatness can bring, especially with the investment into a quality tape deck, tube playback system, and master tapes.  I do very much agree with Steve when he describes tape as "ear candy."  It's not something I spin up everyday for a couple of reasons.  Though when I do, man, it is my idea of aural heaven.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #142 - 02/17/18 at 19:51:47

For those five people who are still on the list please accept my apologies as we are still waiting to get the tape tour kit back so that I can see what is going on with the VHS machine and repair or replace it.

Palomino and Lonely Raven were the last to receive the kit and it's been over 30 days since I expected to see it so not too sure what's happening here.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #143 - 02/18/18 at 13:15:04

I hung onto it for a few days after CDApS to see if I couldn't get the deck to work. Fiddled with the tracking and such.  

Then I gave it to LR thinking he would drop it off the following Monday.  I'll ping him again.  He hasn't been on the forums much lately.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #144 - 02/18/18 at 16:46:11

Hey Pal,
Not sure how close you are to LR, but if he is inundated and unable to get the tape machine back enroute to Steve, is there anyway to swing by, grab it, and slap a shipping label on it?  

Cheers,
Jeff

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 02/20/18 at 22:39:53

Jeff,

LR swung by Steve's today and dropped off the deck.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #146 - 02/21/18 at 05:54:07

Excellent!  Thanks for the update Pal.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #147 - 02/23/18 at 03:14:05

The tape kit arrived and I will look into it this weekend and see what's what. Smiley

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #148 - 02/23/18 at 03:18:45

Excellent!  I'm excited to get this tour back on track.  

Keep me posted Steve and I will adjust the schedule accordingly.  

-Jeff

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #149 - 03/01/18 at 03:23:11

Good news!

I have an exact replacement machine on the way to me after confirming that the original one has gone bad. So we shouldn't be too far away from restarting this tour. Since these machines only set you back around $40 on ebay, it's not worth the bench time to fix it.  

The reason I choose this machine is because it is auto tracking. Having to adjust the tracking all the time would crash the tape tour since you would not have a TV hooked up to see the picture fuzz out and therefor just think the tape is distorting or quieter or one channel etc., etc.

It also sounds respectable and for the price is expendable if it breaks.  (Samsung VR8460)  The only thing it really needs to sound beyond respectable is a tube preamp following it.

There are dozens of better machines out there for sure, but many don't auto track, or are too heavy to ship around like this without certain death being the result.

Thinking to the future if people wanted to buy their own machines for an ongoing tape tour...

If you're going to spend three or four hundred dollars on a great VHS player you may as well go for a Teac or Tascam reel to reel machine and then do the tape tour on 7.5 IPS 7" reels. You can get these machines on ebay on almost any given day for less than $400.

These machines have far better audio sections than many of the VHS player's and sound very good bone stock so long as they are kept clean. The Teac X-7R and X-10R sound especially good bone stock. Tascam also makes the same machines with 1/2 track heads instead of 1/4 track heads.  I could see either being used with great success.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print