Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 05:39:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rachel as headphone amp (Read 3052 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Rachel as headphone amp
05/28/17 at 20:24:50

The never ending possibilities are out there, and so, this is a new venture for me. I have recently bought a couple pairs of headphones, the Hi-Fi Man HE600S planar headphone, and the Grado 225e models. I have tried numerous headphone amps with varying results, and then it dawned on me to try the Rachel with 5 watt resistors in series with a headphone. To get to the point, there was a hum with both headphones, even with no input connected to the amp, so that leads to the question, what might be done to trouble shoot this problem? There is little doubt that this is a worthwhile path to follow. I do not hear any problem when speakers are connected, at the hum is very low, and not an issue.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Rachel as headphone amp
Reply #1 - 05/31/17 at 01:27:34

I have made some headway for using headphones with this amp. Rather than simply putting a resistor in series with the output of the amp, I made a simple voltage divider. Using this, I am able to use much more of the volume control as I would with speakers, and hum has decreased dramatically. So, now using the planar headphones, I have a better idea of the actual sound of the amp. Recording show up good or bad immediately and no blaming acoustics and such. I will add that the planar headphones do sound like planar speakers in many ways which of course, makes sense. Frankly, I am not the biggest fan of the planar design, but when it comes to headphones, I am finding that nothing is spit at you either. In fact when using the Grado dynamic driver phones, the difference is immediate, much more than before. No doubt, it is to be expected, but too forward of a sound is as bad as not enough detail.

Here is a shot of the little circuit that makes it all work together.

P5310001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print