Send Topic Print
TEAC NT-503 (Read 8554 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: TEAC NT-503
Reply #50 - 06/06/17 at 16:22:57

Stone, I'll buy your NT offa you for $400. You know, since it sucks so bad.  ;)

LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #51 - 06/06/17 at 20:45:09

Grin Grin.......

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #52 - 06/06/17 at 20:55:37

Seriously though, come November, give or take a week or two....if it is not floating my boat with ZBIT.....of course, the ZBIT stays with me for future use.....I'll cut you a deal for the NT, to fund my Zen Switch Box with (Remote) ALPS Volume control.

I don't think it is going to happen.....but, you never know. Smiley  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #53 - 06/07/17 at 14:25:41

Clear note to my above post, for anyone not reading the whole thread etc..... .

This Player for $999., delivered to my front door, perfectly packaged and capable of:
11.2MHz Y                  
5.6MHz Y                  
2.8MHz Y                  
384kHz   Y - - - - - - - -
352.8kHz   Y - - - - - - - -
192kHz
....................sent in, or up-converted via Coax or USB to appropriate rate by input.....is a steal.
See Coax (front & rear) & USB (front & rear)
http://www.teac.com/product/nt-503/specifications/#usb_audio

It just needs the ZBIT....which we/I knew going in.... .

The reason I might part with it come Oct/Nov, .....is if I don't get into HQPlayer for example/computer audio, etc.....I will see..... .  

But heck, I might just keep it for Spotify or Deezer.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #54 - 06/07/17 at 15:40:39

Stone, what sample rates/formats can it take via the Network input?

If it works with Roon, and can do at least DSD128 via network, I'd give Roon a try for a quick and easy setup. Hell, with all the upconverting the DAC does,  you might not even need to upconvert at the PC.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #55 - 06/07/17 at 15:42:40

I just read through your link - looks like DSD128 is good to go via Network, but USB is preferred.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #56 - 06/07/17 at 18:01:32

Yeah, it's going to be a learning curve for me as mentioned in our earlier posts. However, at the end of the Day(s)......if it is not for me......I will give you first dibs on it LR, before I put in the Classifieds here, then AudiogoN and/or USAudioMart.

A subscription to Deezer or Spotify for a year, could prove to be fun too, though.  

My ZBIT stays with me and my hot rod KS1030 XLR's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 06/08/17 at 16:23:36

Stone's Decware List:

DM947 Monoliths = check

Caintuck Audio Open Baffle (OB) BASS 15" Eminence Alpha = check

NT-503 stand alone and get a ZBIT = check (ZBIT coming in August)

Decware Pill PAC-S, .......using between DISH/HD DVR & Rotel Preamplifier = check

Zen Switch Box (ZSB) w/Remote Control ALPS Volume ( " /2017)
.....if Steve deems it viable and produces it.....

25th Anniversary SE84C(S) UFO
or Rachel UFO
( " /20**) ~ tricked out hot rod discoveries in Lonely Raven's modified Amp.....   ~OR~ .....6C33C Mono-blocks

then
ZROCK

cause', you can never have enough Decware!  
Listen often ~ Listen Deep.....always enjoy the Journey too........ .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #58 - 06/08/17 at 17:32:13

Quote:
6C33C Mono-blocks

Do it!!!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 06/08/17 at 18:16:44

Need to wait and see....what they come in at flat plated in walnut. This time next year......Steve mentioned.....I'm sure they will be worth the wait. 15 watts per channel of TRIODE, of Decware topology.....heaven.

However, my plan B is solid. I will get an anniversary Zen amp.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #60 - 06/08/17 at 21:44:02

I'm still shocked at how loud my 2.5watt Zen amp is!

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #61 - 06/08/17 at 22:49:05

I'm seeing on Massdrop that the Teac NT503 is going for $699.99.
That is probably a smokin' deal.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #62 - 06/09/17 at 05:36:17

Yes, Stone, you can never have too much Decware!  Even for Decware... having all the amps you see on the site along with everything else, every time I rotate from one amp or speaker to the next there is always that "ahhhhh moment" where your senses remember a certain flavor and are excited to experience it again.  It's ear candy : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #63 - 06/09/17 at 06:50:07

Quote:
I'm seeing on Massdrop that the Teac NT503 is going for $699.99.
That is probably a smokin' deal.

I think there is a $200 special through some vendors. I saw this price on BHPhoto as well. But not Amazon (where I have some store credit).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=NT-503&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&To...

BHPhoto still has open box units for $650 as well.

I just re-read, and I see Massdrop is $699 not $799. But shipping isn't for 4 weeks.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 06/09/17 at 08:50:50

Every time I purchased from Mass Drop shipping has always taken a while.  I think the main reason being that the manufacturer sends the product from their warehouse to Mass Drop and then MD ships to you.  The prices are really good but not for those who want/need something right away.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #65 - 06/09/17 at 15:26:36

So true Steve: ..... "senses remember a certain flavor and are excited to experience it again.  It's ear candy : )"

As you mentioned either from rotating from amp or speaker. For me currently...it is from Adagio's to DM947 Monoliths and come sometime in August with my ZDSD and NT w/(fixed voltage choices and PREAMP out max voltage) with ZBIT.  Cool, fun.

....For Amp(s)......well, I will have to bring the (new Omni Speaker's in for ZMA), Mono's in or Anniversary Amp (2018 or early 19).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 06/09/17 at 15:52:32

Steve,

If you move forward with the TEAC NT-503 product offering, would it be helpful to request some firm early buyer purchase commitments from forum members? My thought is that this would allow you to do an initial competitively priced bulk buy of stock units, perhaps passing on some of the savings to your loyal forum customers through a one-time discount (maybe 10% off?).

I think this would ramp up product interest, incentivize us to spread the word to audio interested friends, and help you establish a solid foundation for your new product.  Please give this some thought.  This might not fit your build to order business model, but maybe its worth consideration for a new product offering like a DAC/streamer.

Cheers,

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 06/22/17 at 13:48:22

So, a few questions regarding the NT-503 in anticipation of Steve's possible release of a modified unit.

First, how easy is it to use?  

Second, is the app straight forward and how is the SQ of PCM/DSD upsampling?

Third, what would be the best SQ cable input choice for connecting a CD player/transport to the NT-503?

I have a large collection of CD's but I'm primarily interested in this unit for high resolution WiFi streaming.  Thanks.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #68 - 06/22/17 at 13:59:27

I have tried about seven different coaxial digital cables and have two favorites, the "Reference" from VooDoo Cable and the Take Five Audio "Deluxe" Neotech cable. Both are similar in construction and sound, both are excellent transferrers of digital data.

I've also used the Creative Concept Black Knight and a WireWorld (not sure what model this is) with success. Even a Monster Cable was a decent link. The VooDoo and Take Five however seem clearly superior in my system to the others I've used. I would recommend these for the TEAC knowing they'll give you an accurate and great sounding connection.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 06/22/17 at 14:03:57

If you were to use an optical connection I'd recommend the Lifatec glass optical cable. I've used these with a number of components and they give a very good sonic picture with a clarity that is in a class of its own, and is not "analytical" or etched in any way. A different sound than the coaxials I've used, which actually makes me think these "add" something, a subtle glow, that I find more comfortable to listen to, but may not actually be the most accurate transfer!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #70 - 06/22/17 at 17:51:22

HK - I'm working on posting my thoughts and experiences with the NT-503 I just picked up in the Digital section of the Decware forums - Go ask there, and that will actually give me a springboard of things to look into while I play with my unit.

I'm really happy with it so far, even though it gets overshadowed by my DirectStream DAC (which also costs more than 4x the price of the NT DAC)

HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 06/22/17 at 18:21:44

Lon,

Thanks for the cable recommendations.  I'll try the VooDoo reference coaxial to start out.  Sounds like a winner.

Lonely Raven,

I will post in the digital section.  The PS DirectStream DAC is enticing, but beyond my budget.  I am hopeful that Steve's modified unit will come close to it.  BTW, I see that SOT has shipped his NT-503 back to Crutchfield.  It's tough keeping up with all his equipment changes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

HK

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #72 - 06/22/17 at 18:29:54

I think the key is the NT-503 WITH the ZBIT mod (or external unit).  So far it has only been tested/reviewed stock, out of the box, which certainly will not be the same as the Decware modified unit.  

I just picked up a used Directstream DAC to test the Huron against my ZDSD.  There is an advantage for me with the Directstream since it now supports MQA and Tidal natively which I recently had to add a $500 Bluesound Node 2 in order to accomplish.  I can now return the Node and stream directly to the Directstream DAC for my Tidal/MQA needs.  One less component in my chain and a far better quality MQA capable DAC in the DS.  It also came with the Powerbase but since I also recently snatched a P10, it seems redundant.  I may put the Powerbase up for sale.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 06/22/17 at 18:42:03

I think the key is the NT-503 WITH the ZBIT mod (or external unit).  So far it has only been tested/reviewed stock, out of the box, which certainly will not be the same as the Decware modified unit.  

Jeff,

I am patient and believe the wait on Steve's modified unit will be worth it.  Until then I'm happy spinning my large collection of CD's and vinyl, since getting on the ever revolving DAC merry-go-round can be a futile and expensive proposition.  

While DAC chip technology will further evolve, I think it's at a point where taking the plunge on a DAC/WiFi streamer makes senses sonically and from a budget standpoint.  Anyway its likely that the disc drive mechanism on my trusty 10+ year old TRL modded Sony DVP-NS900V will crap out eventually (it's getting noisy).  So, I'm planning to use an Oppo 95 as a transport for the Steve's modded NT-503 unit.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #74 - 06/22/17 at 18:55:43

Jeff, if you don't have a PowerBase under your P10, try that out (don't plug the Power Base in, just use it passively as an isolation platform). I found that the PowerBase makes a great platform for the P10 and for turntables.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #75 - 06/25/17 at 17:00:25

Yes hk kid....I keep busy. I decided not to get into computer audio. My Redbook path of Gear, to my Speakers is 2nd to none. If it was, I would own the other stuff. I have owned "it" and either sold it or returned it! Referring to the 4 to 6k DACS.

I have my sites on other Decware products in the coming year, important to me.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #76 - 06/25/17 at 17:03:54

Lon, that's funny you mentioned that.  The Directstream I picked up included a Powerbase.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the Powerbase.  Was considering under my TT, Tape tube playback amp, the Directstream, or now the P10.  So many options Smiley

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #77 - 06/25/17 at 18:07:31

The PowerBase and the P10 are very different products, no redundancy in my estimation. I have PowerBases under all but one of my components (my TV doesn't have one but maybe one day); bought a bunch of them at really good prices. I enjoy the cumulative effect as isolation platforms; to me it's not subtle. But the most improvement I found under my P10 and turntable, and then my DirectStream Transport and DirectStream DAC.

I used to have them all powered from my P10 and then my components powered by the PowerBases. But over time I came to prefer the components powered by the P10 and the PowerBases just used as isolation platforms--less clinical sounding that way. Others may prefer to power the components from the PowerBases. . . depends if you like that detailed upfront sound or the laid back sound I prefer.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #78 - 06/26/17 at 06:46:01

Thanks for the low down on these Powerbases Lon. I'm actually glad to hear they have greater potential than I originally presumed. I have quite a few devices that would qualify based on your last reply. Sounds like I may have to do some Base rolling.

I already planned to run everything out of the P10 direct and not daisy chain the base in any way, so glad to hear your experience with P10 direct is peachy.  I was considering selling it but I will keep it around to see what it can do for my system.

I will say, this Perfectwave P10 is one heck of an appliance!  Really impressive.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #79 - 06/26/17 at 12:59:08

The P10 is fantastic. Be sure to try your best power cord on the P10. . . I find that works best for the whole system.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 07/07/17 at 23:46:30

So, when will the Decware modified NT-503 be available?  Any idea on the time frame Steve?

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 07/12/17 at 17:57:01

Bump for possible update on status of this potential offering.

HK

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #82 - 07/12/17 at 18:48:52

HK, best to reach out to Steve directly on this for a quicker answer.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #83 - 08/02/17 at 22:51:41

Zenmaster Steve....  are you still R&D'ing this unit or did you drop back and punt?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #84 - 08/03/17 at 05:15:27

No, it's full steam ahead.  I'm almost done with the web page now. I'm really impressed with the DAC and the up sampling algorithms of this unit.  Of course I have never heard it stock for more than an hour or two.  

That said, I am very partial to old school Burr Brown chip sets which are used in the ZDSD and tend to shy away from the more hyper detailed Sabre chipsets which trade density for a more clinical presentation.  

This new Chipset and FPGA captures the earthy organic sound of the burr brown DAC chipsets and the super detail of a hyper fast chipset without any fatigue. Nicely done for sure. The imaging is a touch more delineated and has a bit tighter focus. This is evident by the difference in recording techniques being magnified.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #85 - 08/03/17 at 15:16:39

I agree with that completely - I'm very happy with mine, and I can only imagine what it's going to sound like when you're done with it, Steve!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #86 - 08/10/17 at 04:42:05

Yes, I want it back with built in ZBIT. Now that Steve has made it official that it is the ZDSD's match (see his Decfest post). I get the great algorithm up sampling choices and can use the variable output for remote volume control or use fixed, running the gain input on my ZMA.

Folks, I have owned Steve's ZDSD for 2.5 years .....stellar musical performance with his output transformer topology. Having had the 503 stock for 56 days of Listening.....I know I'm in for quite the performance with his enhancement.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #87 - 08/10/17 at 05:14:52

Quote:
Folks, I have owned Steve's ZDSD for 2.5 years .....stellar musical performance with his output transformer topology.

+1

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #88 - 08/10/17 at 14:40:07

Getting the (Z)NT-503 this winter, will put a dent in my budget for the 6C33C Mono's next summer.

However, I have a plan for the 6C33C's. I will arrange next summer to bring/visit a few things to Decware, to hear a seasoned pair of the new Mono's with my: Adagio's, my input & inverter tube favorites, Kimber Select, Shunyata Digital cord for ZDSD & 503 on premises and my P3. (In other words, it is easy for me to bring the things in my System Decware would not have and hook up with Decware, on premises).

Maybe, I leave sticking with my ZMA only....or I put on order....something different?

This is not a quest to replace my ZMA (not for sale). But simply, a chance to visit and hear a few things and make a decision or two on maybe a ZROCK2 or the 6C33C Mono's, for example. Prearranged visit four weeks in advance.... . Grab a local room close.

....and pssst, I will bring my inexpensive Sony Transport. ....it is that good....upon my discovery....or obviously, I would not use it in my 25k System for Redbook.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.5 meter

Audio Research Pre w/remote volume & mute LS-2B MkII
NOS Platinum/Mullard 7308/E188CC / Cryogenic

(ARC Pre rotated in and out...approx. in, only 25-30% of the time)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

{ Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8.....in inputs right now~stellar}!
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC/6922 for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's

ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain ~ w/ZDSD Direct
ZMA adjusted at  80-90% or 100% gain ~ w/ARC Line Stage, running via Remote Volume Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 53Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/4 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3

(Open Baffle 15", not in use all the time....approx. 50% of the time.....the best integrated bass)!

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ARC Pre, and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~All NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC/6922 ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.        

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 08/22/17 at 22:40:29

I don't think this has been posted yet.  Interesting reading:

http://www.absolutesound.com.sg/news-updates/why-did-teac-use-the-ak4490-dac-in-...

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #90 - 08/22/17 at 23:46:08

The ZDAC2 is now available.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZDAC.html

We are not getting special pricing on these units and are leery of open box specials based on past experiences. Since our modifications would void the factory warranty from Teac, we are offering a one year warranty on the units ourselves. Naturally since we can't actually fix one, we want to go into this with the best possible odds by purchasing from know reliable suppliers.

That said, if you see an opportunity to get an NT-503 at a high discount, we recommend you do it, and then purchase our ZBIT. You'll have the same end result, and should the DAC itself ever fail, you'll have a ZBIT ready to hook to the next thing you buy.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #91 - 08/23/17 at 17:44:52

That's some really clean looking work!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 08/28/17 at 18:16:26

Well, Lonely Raven loaned me his NT 503 because he is currently working on its eventual home - the Lonely Raven "Mini" Multi-Media Lair.

I am listening to it "bone stock" via the RCAs to my Rachael.  None of Steve's magic going on.

I am fairly impressed with this unit.  My comments are in comparison to my Chord dac (which nobody has probably heard except CDApS).

Very large soundstage.  Not a lot of additional detail in the instruments by themselves, but tons of transients and room spatial clues.  Also, it must be putting out 2V+ because I had to back it off about 1/4 to put it at listening volume in my room.  The best DAC I have heard so far for capturing the sense of the room.

The only area where it does not best my current DAC is bass.  A little less crisp and lower impact.  Wonder what the transformers would do here?

Easy to listen to and I ran it through my torture tracks to know just what it could do.   Also keep in mind that I am listening to single drivers so that's saying something.

You do need to fiddle with it a bit.  On the initial settings I had, I didn't like it.  

But when I set Audirvana for no upsampling and the right DSD filter on the TEAC, is was very nice.  I am going to download and read the manual so I can explore more settings.  Also, I'll put a better power cord on it.  Right now it has my cheapest DIY.

So that's my mini review.  Definitely good bang for the buck and it does a lot of things I like very well.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #93 - 08/28/17 at 20:07:41

That pretty much sums up what I thought about it. I wonder if your lack of bass impact is part of what made me think it reminded me so much of my DirectStream *before* the current (Huron) OS update. You've seen what an amazing impact the new Huron OS does for bass, especially with the El Camino speakers!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #94 - 08/29/17 at 16:59:40

It is not to shabby of a unit for just Redbook. I might get a another one of these. I did return to Crutchfield.  I am looking at other units too.

Currently, I am making another Jensen output transformer stage. I so dig the one coming out of my ZDSD.....I want another bread boarded, for other use with any unit.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #95 - 08/29/17 at 17:21:15

I have all the parts to make mine, I just really need to find the time.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #96 - 08/29/17 at 18:08:42

LR, you doing the ZBIT or Jensen output tranny stage?

I'm sticking with Jensen.....proven 2.5 year's and counting.....winner for me/Redbook.

My Parker Crusader's are being picked up today! .....funding for this project is at hand.

I'm proud of myself. I went from owning thirteen pairs of Speaker's.....now down to two (modified Adagio's & Polk SRS SDA 1.2's). A whole lot less to move out of here, in a year from now.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #97 - 08/30/17 at 21:45:17

I don't see much difference between the two options; except one is in a box and can have a volume pot, and the other probably has a fixed resistance and is built into the DAC.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #98 - 08/30/17 at 23:52:53

True.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #99 - 09/01/17 at 16:37:38

True, as in; as much as I understand it.

I'm having it done on a breadboard and explained to me. I enjoy wrapping my brain around it.

....you have the parts LR (for yours)....you stated....get er' done.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3