Send Topic Print
TEAC NT-503 (Read 8547 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: TEAC NT-503
Reply #100 - 09/01/17 at 16:56:19

I've been a little under the weather lately, but feeling better. Hopefully this weekend I can add building my "Magic Box" to my To-Do list.

I still have tons of work in my spare bedroom mini-audio room.

It's all on the docket.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #101 - 09/01/17 at 17:00:28

Cool, I'm going to go catch up with your thread on those issues/projects.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #102 - 09/03/17 at 15:00:46

http://dro.ps/b/WSwAGqg/l

700 on massdrop

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #103 - 09/05/17 at 01:27:25

Within this forum can't we get at least 2 more purchases so we can get this dac for $700?  If this is not a good deal and I should buy elsewhere please reply.

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 09/05/17 at 19:51:26

It's a good deal.  They have gone for as low as $650. Most of those have been open box, but I do think the last Massdrop went for $650 new.  Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #105 - 09/05/17 at 23:17:35

I'm pretty sure the Massdrop was the same, at $700.  

And Martindfletcher, $700 IS a good deal.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #106 - 09/06/17 at 14:21:39

Yeah, $650 was an open box - and mine came with some scratches. $799 seems to be the new regular price, so $700 is a good deal.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 09/06/17 at 18:08:35

B&H is at $799 today.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 09/07/17 at 17:08:32

My ZDAC2 order is in.  Now for the wait...

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #109 - 09/07/17 at 18:27:26

I doubt you will be disappointed, HK. Steve's inboard output stage with this unit and its full capabilities should be magic. I know it is, first hand, with my ZDSD with Redbook and for DSD Recordings; and my experience with having the NT-503/stock. I decided not to get into hi-rez** (I will never say never), so I returned my NT.
**except for my SDHC Lexar Platinum II, 8GB Cards....made recordings/stored in the very nice Decware 20th Anniversary Silver Case, Steve sent with the ZDSD.

I'm focusing on completing my NOS Tube collection, being impressed with and tube rolling in my ARC Line Stage FET/single 6922/Class A unit to ZMA. In conjunction with Input Tube Rolling in my ZMA (in which, I also run direct from ZDSD only). I was fortunate to find an ARC LS-2B MkII, in stellar condition.

Potentially, swinging the 6C33C Mono-blocks in 2018 or 19.....is my next great Decware Unit(s).

PS-I realized over time, recording MOST OF my Redbook CD's (1100+) to my SDHC's...is the way to go....and every bit as good as the majority of re-recorded Redbook Master's to Hi-Rez. No computer humping needed and it bares repeating, my Recordings are as good if not better in most cases. Think about it....and thank you Steve.

.....now granted, if I want to stream Tidal, etc.... I will revisit that in the future.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 09/08/17 at 15:00:42

Stone,

Good luck with building your tube collection.  I am going to start out streaming with Spotify, which I have been using in my bedroom system.  May switch to Deezer if I can't get the desired SQ.  I'll also be using an Oppo 95 for spinning CD's, as I have a large collection as well.  

May upgrade a "used" PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport in the future, as my budget allows.  

Looking forward to trying Steve's latest DAC offering and fully enjoying my premium Spotify subscription.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 09/08/17 at 15:57:39

Hey, a while back, someone posted what Steve recommended for a XLR cable.  I remember they were pretty reasonably priced.  Can anyone give the link?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #112 - 09/08/17 at 16:20:26

That is right, HK. Spotify or Deezer....no Tidal, I think for this unit. Eventually, I will try these guys and follow what works best/SQ from you. I'm doing a DIY ZBIT for this reason too, for the NT or some other unit down the road...... .

Pal, I remember that....but not where/link?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #113 - 09/08/17 at 16:52:54

Norm reminded me of this recently, here is what Steve recommends:

https://bettercables.com/products/silver-serpent-balanced-xlr-audio-interconnect...

I'm not a fan of silver-plated copper, doesn't seem to gel in my system. I use VooDoo Cable XLRs but they are MUCH more expensive. I also use one 3M pair of WireWorld Oasis 7 because they were available in that length reasonably priced. Interesting geometry on those cables, and they sound fine. Nothing like the VooDoo but then neither was the price.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 09/08/17 at 17:54:30

Thanks Lon.  That's the link.  Those are very reasonable.  I may also build some if the time comes.

I went back to the styx cables for my OB bass speaker wire to tighten things up but otherwise I have been staying away from silver.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #115 - 09/08/17 at 19:57:08

Myself I can get great results from silver and copper, just not silver-plated copper. My favorite interconnects have silver and copper conductors. . . ,

As a "jumper" between top and bottom binding posts of my HR-1s I used a short length of a cryo'd silver wire in cotton insulation. . . resulting in fantastic sound. I'm thinking of trying that out as speaker cable. .. we'll see if I'm brave enough in the near future to risk a few hundred dollars on that experiment.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 09/08/17 at 20:02:41

I got a little unexpected money that came my way so its the only reason I am considering the TEAC / XLR experiment.

Although I have heard the TEAC and liked it and I have heard what balanced does for Raven's rig so not that big a risk.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #117 - 09/08/17 at 20:33:50

Yes, I've been thinking of you lately as my system has gone through it's latest metamorphosis. . . because what is stunning about the ZTPRE to ZBIT pairing in my system is. . .improved bass. I think you would really dig the bass . . . Save up! Wink

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #118 - 09/08/17 at 20:40:52

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a way to get more silver into my system - LOL

Those cables are very reasonably priced. I noticed their description almost sounds like Zen Styx type connection wire.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #119 - 09/08/17 at 20:47:48

Which is what scared me away. .. the Styx held my system back for quite some time or so it seemed, I kept having an "etched" sound; when I switched speaker wire things got better. I've stayed away from silver-plated copper wire since  :o

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #120 - 09/11/17 at 22:48:50

Agreed - when my sources or speakers were a bit etched, adding silver only exacerbated that. The tweeters on my MG-944 and my Oppo BDP-105 are good examples.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #121 - 09/12/17 at 00:59:19

The thing with me and my system is. . . silver isn't an issue the way that silver-plated copper IS. I can work with silver, and with copper, but there's a sound to silver-plated copper I can't integrate into my system.

My favorite cables have silver and copper conductors. . . and Ohno wire at that. That's the good stuff imo.

IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #122 - 09/12/17 at 13:56:27

Lon aren't the mapleshade double helix silver plated copper?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #123 - 09/12/17 at 14:08:08

Good Lord, I hadn't realized it, but you're right, I don't remember reading about the silver-plating but there it is in the description (or current description.

When I look at the wire itself, I only see copper. Perhaps the silver-plating is new and mine are previous models, or perhaps it's "micro-plating" does not impart any silver to the naked eye?

Anyway it's a single strand wire which seems to make a difference and I've actually been considering that these cables are now the weakest link in my system and researching what to replace them with. Though they are indeed great cables.

WTF! Then I guess I'll just say that the other silver-plated speaker cables I've used (Zen Styx), and several silver-plated interconnects that I've used, have created an edgy sound for my system that I don't prefer.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I guess I don't have an issue with "micro-stranding silver coating" (aided also perhaps by the very minimal insulation on these Mapleshades).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print