Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:56:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO2 With Backlit Meters (Read 7752 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

SE84UFO2 With Backlit Meters
04/29/17 at 14:47:02

Just got my SE84UFO2 a couple of days ago.  I'm running S3HOXRS with it, I posted my initial impressions of this combination and so this is not meant to be a review of the UFO2.

From other posts I became aware that I could order it with backlit meters for an additional price which as far as I was concerned was more than reasonable.  So I did...

If you like the "vintage" look these are a screaming deal, IMO. A must have! Not too bright, just the right color temperature and the lighting is even with no evident hot spots.  Complete the look of the UFO2.

Tried to post pictures but have not been able to, so I will send a pic to Steve to post.

In addition I will say this about the UFO2...

As much as I became convinced that a low power amp with high efficiency speakers was the way to go I still struggled a bit with ordering the UFO2.  Was it going to have enough power?  Should I order the 20 watt Tori?

I've had a number of very good amps in the past 40 plus years the highest powered one was a 250 watt Krell the lowest was a Cary Rocket 88R which I ran in the 30 watt push pull triode setting.  As much as I liked all the amps that I have had, I never had a WTF moment like the one when I first powered up the SE84UFO2.

2.3 watts and the wife is yelling from the closed doors of the bedroom - TURN IT DOWN!  Plenty of power with more than enough to spare and with more density at low volume than any of the other set ups that I have had..  

A review of it will wait until it is nicely burned in, all I will say right now is that I am pleased.  

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: SE84UFO2 With Backlit Meters
Reply #1 - 04/29/17 at 16:18:14

And it will only get better....

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/29/17 at 17:06:54

Joman, great to hear that the amp has impressed you so much. It's amazing what the low power can do. . . just boggles the imagination sometimes.

And our Ace is right, will get better day by day.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/02/17 at 03:27:10

Boy, are you guys right and it's only been 23 hours!

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/16/19 at 17:24:13

That's awesome! I have one on order for my work setup. It will power a pair of Trapeziums with my pc running through a AQ jitterbug and dragonfly red. I'm in the middle of re-downloading my cd collection in lossless files in preparation. Good thing I have a Torii at home or I'll be tempted to work some overtime.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/15/21 at 17:35:49

Sounds great love the enthusiasm for this amp. My order is just a couple weeks in and now contemplating the meters. If XLR connects not chosen what is the difference other than meters in the two amps?

Bilyeaux

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Marsplan
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 12/20/23 at 03:40:17

If you don't mind me asking, What is the additional cost for backlighting the meters?  Thx.

IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/20/23 at 18:36:39

Thanks for your posting Joman! It helps to alleviate my aduiophile neurosis! I'm currently on the waiting list for a Rachael and I have the same concern about having enough power. I have a pair of Omega Compact Alnico Monitors (CAM) and it is great to hear that you are getting such great results.

Have a blast with your new amp and let us know more about your impressions after you have a chance to do some more listening.

Ramón

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print