03/28/24 at 22:34:46 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Augie Style OB Bass (Read 74725 times)
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Re: Augie Style OB Bass
Reply #50 - 05/04/17 at 12:57:09

97 vs 89 db in an ob is the problem running off single amp.  and ob vs imperial (folded horn) are different animals too.

i tried running my augies with maggies and betsys off my single cary 120 and the 89db augies didn't provide enough to mate with either of these main speakers.

i have no doubt that a 15a would provide enough volume (whether it would sound good is a different story).

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 05/04/17 at 14:07:29

I have run most configurations - direct, plate amp, crown, no xover.  Just not with a mechanical xover.

Run direct, you could hear the augies.  Just not good full range sound though.  A little better with the thrift store 15s.    They are 91db supposedly.

What I heard at Steves lingers in the back of my mind but I like the authority I get when I feed either pair juice from the Crown.

Having heard 15as a few times, my thrift store have a sound more akin to them.  I may run them wide open with the Tang Bands because I think they are a better efficiency match.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #52 - 05/04/17 at 14:49:33

Great posts: Randy, Pal, Donnie & Trip........ . I'm soaking it all in for my initiation today, with one Eminence Alpha 15a OB, from Randy. I'm off today....and I should have it by 2pm or so.

My quote button does not work, ....Trip wrote:
"I dont think you can go wrong eitherway, however i still want to try a pair of 15a's running full range off 1 set amp (like dbc).  If i didnt hear it i wouldnt have believed it.
Cant do that with augies... ive tried.  You need some power for those."

I only have one coming today....but I will get a good taste! Yes, you need the sensitivity of the 15a.....and it's what I wanted too. Yeah, sure I have power/ZMA....but, running direct.....I wanted no worries/guaranteeing their success...and I might end up buying a UFO too.

Hey, I might prefer my plate amp in the long run....but, I wanted to ensure success of running direct with 15a('s).....even if I need to reinforce the baffles from behind (if I choose not to run with plate amp ranges and stay direct).

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #53 - 05/04/17 at 15:05:16

The UFO I want, is Steve's anniversary (he talked about), tricked out version he made some discoveries when revamping/UFO updating Lonely Raven's. However, the 6C33C Mono's in flat plate.....are on my radar too (but $$).

Anyway, I digress!  OB bass in the house today!  
With DM947's ....with and without Monolith Horn.
With Acoustic Zen Adagio's (modified).

Bring it on.....Party on Wayne....party on Garth.

PS-returned my Tekton Impact Speakers. Eric Alexander is a gentlemen and a scholar. The Impact were wonderful Speakers.....I just prefer the DM's and Adagio's.  I can't keep everything...as much as I wanted to.....but, free's up funds for elsewhere.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 05/04/17 at 15:32:20

super zen, betsys, 15a, all running off the ufo either full or with passive low pass, is my goal for my 2.2 home theater setup.

if it doesn't work i can power the 15a's with spare gallo sa.  but pretty sure it will however.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #55 - 05/04/17 at 15:39:49

Very cool Trip. If I prefer the plate amp....then I go on a mission for the Crown sub amp or Gallo sub amp used.

....and true, I could do a passive low pass filter(s) at 80, Randy mentioned he/Steve's running....or at 100, Donnie uses on his front pair of 15a's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #56 - 05/04/17 at 15:59:05

Quote:
However, the 6C33C Mono's in flat plate.....are on my radar too (but $$).

I had put these out of my mind for a while...this is one amp that could have my interest if done right. I like these tubes a lot...it would be better if it were OTL, but, that's just too finicky.

I'm still very happy with my pseudo-anniversary UFO Zen amp. If/When Steve puts something like this into production, I *highly* recommend it.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 05/04/17 at 16:19:21

Yes and yes, I'm fascinated with the 6C33C triode tube (with Steve's Topology behind it)...always have been. If I decide to part with my Adagio's.....and even if the beating I take on them, is bad.....I'm leaning towards the Mono's....with the partial funds. ....just how partial will this be......will see what Steve can provide them at within a year ~ fair enough.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #58 - 05/04/17 at 16:55:34

A couple of additional thoughts .....

I am very much enjoying the sound running my Alpha baffles in "passive" mode ..... either with the 100 Hz low pass filters (12 db slope) or with the 13 mH inductors that roll the bass drivers off at a 6 db slope at 98 Hz.

Having said that, I'm still recommending that MOST of my customers use an active plate amp or something like a Crown amp to power their Augie or Alpha baffles.

The reasons .....
First, the Augie is simply not sensitive enough to be used this way in an OB situation in my opinion ..... YMMV.
Second, despite the fact that the passive setup is working well in my listening room it might not work so well in every room.
The plate amp(s) or Crown have greater impact and you can control the volume and crossover point ..... as well as the phase (at least on the plate amps).

Running the bass baffles passive, I get the feeling that the entire musical presentation is "cut from one piece of cloth" ..... but the benefits of active amplification might win the day for a lot of folks.

I entertained the thought of offering the Alpha baffles with either the low pass filter or the inductor built into the box I mount the 5 way binding post on ..... but due to the fact that I cannot know in advance what the outcome will be in the purchaser's system I decided to deep six that option .....

As to bang for the buck, a single Augie or Alpha driver and inexpensive plate amp summing the channels to mono is very hard to beat.
What I hear from "stereo bass" (using two bass baffles and two plate amps or a stereo Crown amp) is a wider sound stage and a better sense of the recorded space or room ..... even on recordings that have no deep bass content.
Again ..... YMMV.

Are we having fun yet ? .....

Randy

Drat ..... I knew that I forgot something .....

The thought of turning the bass baffles 90 degrees in relation to the main speakers is not my original idea.
Pierre Sprey at Mapleshade has recommended this setup and Israel Blume at Coincident Technologies mounts his low frequency drivers in the sides of the cabinets on his larger speakers.
Both of these guys are pretty savvy and it's worth trying.
The WAF might not be the best, but since the quality of the sound is our main goal it's something to consider .....

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 05/04/17 at 20:30:23

Randall, you wonderful beast. Not only is my OB beautifully done.....it sounds beautifully sublime. The integration at 70 Hz, with my Velodyne 130 watt plate amp, 0 degree phase and at 1/3 volume/on plate, is more than something. I have it at 90 degree's of my Speaker's on my left wall, down 2 feet.....out 2 ft to Baffle.

I tried right away and listened to it full range passive and did not like it that way. To much is being asked of it, that way. Your above post could not be more timely. I will enjoy the versatility of trying other area's of the room with ease.....but, I bet it stays right where I put now.

I had a Rel Sub the summer of 2015 and moved it all over the place.....never could it integrate. Open Baffle....BAM!.....I locked it in - in 10 minutes....fast/sensitive....it love's the DM's....MUSICAL INTEGRATION.

Randy wrote:
"As to bang for the buck, a single Augie or Alpha driver and inexpensive plate amp summing the channels to mono is very hard to beat.
What I hear from "stereo bass" (using two bass baffles and two plate amps or a stereo Crown amp) is a wider sound stage and a better sense of the recorded space or room ..... even on recordings that have no deep bass content."

I'm going to enjoy the single for awhile. But I know you won't be surprised if I order another OB from you and get a Crown Amp for "Stereo Bass."

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 05/04/17 at 20:37:13

Stone, your black hooded robe with embroidered open baffle bass speaker insignia and instructions for the secret handshake are on their way.  We'll have a brief swearing in ceremony via Skype.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #61 - 05/04/17 at 20:47:11

No doubt, Pal  ;D....I'm having a Vulcan mind melt right now with it. I now know why you guys are digging this. I forgot to mention, I'm running the DM's alone and not ideally set and freaking out....I will be getting the stands DBC recommended. No desire to put the M-liths in............. .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #62 - 05/04/17 at 20:48:23

Quote:
Stone, your black hooded robe with embroidered open baffle bass speaker insignia and instructions for the secret handshake are on their way.  We'll have a brief swearing in ceremony via Skype.

One of many reasons why you're a friend. LOL

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 05/04/17 at 20:54:22

I have some stands for my 945s and a couple of bass speaker baffles I made when I first started down this path.  Maybe I try that configuration again.

Put in a low ball bid on a new crown.  Glad the buyer didn't budge much!  What a weak moment.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #64 - 05/04/17 at 22:14:44

I need to know if this is a open baffle club or is it more of a cult type thing.
I'm partial to a cult myself.
Would it be alright if I was a high priest? Maybe in charge of making the Koolaid?
I'm a self starter, with a lot of leadership experience, and would bring cups.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 05/04/17 at 22:16:01

Got this definition off the web:

Cult:
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

I think in this case its an object producing sound, but still qualifies.

Donnie, you are the perfect high priest for this cult.  Poster priest, so to speak.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #66 - 05/04/17 at 22:22:39

Donnie gets my vote. Red Solo Cups I hope?!  8-)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 05/04/17 at 22:30:19

Note to Self:

Never drink Koolaide if Donnie is present.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #68 - 05/04/17 at 22:38:28

Drinks are on me boys!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 05/04/17 at 22:39:51

how about the cute little dixie cups?

2x votes donnie!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #70 - 05/05/17 at 03:49:24

As a drinker of the OB Kool-Aid, I want in!  And I will bring the whiskey!

First order of business...  Prosthelytize. Convert the unknowing. Then get them to bring the booze.  Music, tube amps, OB speakers, and alcohol will be the tenets.   Smiley

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #71 - 05/05/17 at 09:17:22

Quote:
Randall, you wonderful beast. Not only is my OB beautifully done.....it sounds beautifully sublime.

Good morning Stone,

I'm so happy to hear that you are pleased with the Alpha baffle .....

While I make no claims to be a serious woodworker or cabinet maker, the baffles are not too shabby for a "hillbilly wood butcher" .....
They are reasonably attractive in a rustic Caintuck sort of way .....

However, it's the sound that's important ..... and I think that they do quite well in that department.

As various comments in this thread testify, there is something about open baffle bass that is special. It's natural and complex and presents low frequencies in a very satisfying manner.

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a performance in a very small venue.
It was one of my very favorite three piece groups and I was fortunate enough to get a table right in front of the stage. Since I got there early, it was possible to hear the band warming up before they turned on the sound reinforcement system. One of the performers plays a stand up double bass which he both plucks and bows.
Right after the performance was over, I went home and listened to some of their music on my audio system. The reproduction of that double bass was so similar to what I had just heard "live" that I literally laughed out loud .....

To me .... that was all I needed to know about how good the bass is in my listening room.

I didn't have any Kool-Aid that evening ..... but did enjoy a very tasty Guinness pub draft .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #72 - 05/05/17 at 14:02:12

I woke up this morning and turned my System on .....and it was not a dream.....I'm enjoying OB bass.

Your rustic look to your OB Randy, is quite nice indeed.

What does matter, is the sound....and as you stated:
"As various comments in this thread testify, there is something about open baffle bass that is special. It's natural and complex and presents low frequencies in a very satisfying manner."

I could not agree more Randy (and as your live listening testifies).

......and I will add: The seamless, ease of integration with my DM's + no need to fiddle around with controls. I have it locked in, with this mornings confirmations of listening, at 70 Hz, with my Velodyne 130 watt plate amp, 0 degree phase and at 1/3 volume on plate.

I have zero/no desire to hook up the Monolith's to my DM947's. Furthermore, I do not miss in any way, the transmission line bass of my Adagio's.

OB bass is it and you know it when you hear it.

Randy, thanks for making my music listening enjoyment experience even better!  Have a great weekend.  -S

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are!

DM947 (Decware Monitor's)
Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 70 Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp, 0 degree phase and at 1/3 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3

Decware DM947 Monoliths/4 ohm (Midrange modification/Wave Guide)
w/PX Clarity Caps ......Duelund, StealthCap or Mundorf MCap Supremes possibly pending.....
enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8 ohm ZMA Taps.

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #73 - 05/05/17 at 14:39:03

Quote:
I'm a self starter, with a lot of leadership experience, and would bring cups.

I was hoping more along the line of D-cups.  Just sayin.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 05/05/17 at 15:13:09

Stone, given your enthusiasm, I dug out some old speaker stands I have and set up my DIY DM945 sans base cabinets.  It had been years since I listened to them this way.

Anyway, integration was a snap with my Augies, which I positioned behind and to the side of the 945s facing the listening position.

It was pretty sweet and I spent several hours listening last night.  

So while I have been on the OB bandwagon (and still like those better for soundstage), it was nice to see I have yet another set of speakers capable of excellent, engaging sound.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #75 - 05/05/17 at 16:24:44

Good one LR.  8-)

Pal, yes....good points breaking out you 945's again. Even though I have no desire to put the m-lith's back in right now....of course I have to try it. When you mentioned how they provide more soundstage with the back firing horn...it struck me immediately as true. So, some time next week I will try to integrate those back in and of course I am running just one OB bass right now....not two/stereo bass.

My DM's are not ideally set up either ....the way I have them on the sideway Mliths.....so I know I can only improve it....and they are kicking seamless arse bass with the OB..... . Have a great weekend!

.....PS-I'm going to get those Sweetwater stands DBC has.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #76 - 05/05/17 at 22:08:49

Hi Pal… yep once Randy “introduced me” to OB sound.. I got smitten pretty quick.  I hopped on the Hawthorne Trio bandwagon right out of the gate, but scrapped the stock Hawthorne PSI 15” coaxials pretty quick and replaced with an AN full-ranger.  I drive my 4 fifteen inch Augie’s with a Crown XLS-2500 (first version).

It can be difficult to get the “cut from one cloth” sound by driving your OB Augie subs with a Crown.  But this is almost a necessity due to the sensitivity differentials between the Augie’s and your mains.  All the AN full-range drivers I have are significantly more sensitive than the Augie’s.

I have two Velodyne Digital Drive subs… that have speaker level inputs that I used with Martin Logans before my OB enlightenment.  I always “preferred” the perceived “cut from one cloth” sound of the Velodyne’s when driven off my main amps speaker binding posts to the speaker level inputs on the Velodyne’s.

I had a little “issue” with integration of the Augie OB subs driven by the Crown at first, but found two ways to solve the problem.  1) was an Ashly XR-1001 active xover (do not dismiss Ashly because it’s a pro audio company – they have been around a  l..o…n….g  time and make some fine sounding products).  Anyway, this xover allows for more control and I was able to get dialed in to my satisfaction.  2) Ultimately, I found that reversing the phase of the speaker wires to my Augie’s from the Crown, eliminating the Ashly xover and using the xover in the Crown, resulted in nearly perfect integration with my mains (AN’s driven by a Decware Torii).  So I’m not sure if the Torii inverts phase (many tube amps do) or if the Crown does.  But you might try this and see how it sounds – it worked for me.

Additionally…. You can feed the Crown from the speaker output binding posts of your main speakers amp by using another common tool from the Pro Audio world – a device called a “DI Box” to step down the voltage from your main amps speaker outputs, to line level for input to the Crown.  DI boxes are “common” pro audio devices.  The Decware ZBIT balanced to single ended converter box functions kind of like a DI box in a sense.  I’d like to see Steve expand the functionality of this handy little tool to one that works single ended to balanced as well.  And even a version to do speaker level to line level conversion… just so we can “keep it all in the Decware family”.

I noticed the Betsy/OB sub picture that shows the dual OB subs positioned almost perpendicular to the Betsy baffles.  I’ve read a white paper with “science” behind why having a subwoofer positioned perpendicular to the mains speakers/your listening position, should/could/ought to produce the best bass.  I can’t remember where I read it, possibly something from Dr. Hsu (Hsu subwoofers).  I have tried it, and does usually seem to work very well.

I have used only 2 of my 4 Augie's to good effect with my Betsy Baffle's.  I've used one of my Velodyne's with them too.  I concur... OB bass is something special.  It just seems to be more "cohesive" with the rest of the sound or something - it's hard to put into words.  The Velodyne's go back to duty in the HT.....  Augie's for the man cave it is, for the foreseeable future.

Stone... you will be assimilated - resistance is futile.....  
Smiley

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #77 - 05/06/17 at 17:09:45

Yes! Assimilation is complete Maddog.

I do not want to leave my Listening Room this morning. My DM947's sans Monoliths with my Caintuck Audio OB Bass ......I'm locked in right now. The foundation the OB lays down for the soundstage is fantastic. I could not do this with my Rel Sub. Returned that to Music Direct late summer 2015.

Today, I'm just cranking....love these DM's.....OB set at 55Hz underpinning beautifully........... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 05/07/17 at 14:34:18

this is the final resting place for my augies.

i've tried behind, in corner, firing 45deg and 90deg... this seems to sound best in my room.

running the gallo sa, high level inputs, crossing 80hz, 0 boost, 0 phase.

these integrate better and easier than anything ive tried to date.  almost just smack them down anywhere...

20170507_082344.jpg

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #79 - 05/07/17 at 15:45:58

Yes, almost smack them down anywhere. I could not believe it until having now witnessed it myself glad to own.

Working on getting Mundorfs for the Swan Tweeters in the DM947's. They should respond very well to the change even as high up as they are....
....either MCap Supremes like in my Adagio's or Silver Oils.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #80 - 05/07/17 at 17:16:21

Trip,
Looks like some serious toe-in on those Betsy's.  How far in front of you do they cross?  Ive played around with different degrees but I have not got that extreme.  

And man, those Betsy's and Augies are such a good marriage.  They have been filling in nicely while my Omega Super Alnico High Ouputs were being built. Louis just informed me that they will ship Monday  :)  

I expect these Augie's to play nicely with the SAHOs as well.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 05/07/17 at 17:22:59

jeff,

the augies are with the maggies in my 2ch.  adjacent is the ht where the betsys are. when i listen to them i pull them out from the wall and toe them so they cross in front of me a foot or two.
(yeah i can see that pic being confussing... i sit on the couch when listening to those).

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #82 - 05/07/17 at 17:37:51

Quote:
jeff,

the augies are with the maggies in my 2ch.  adjacent is the ht where the betsys are. when i listen to them i pull them out from the wall and toe them so they cross in front of me a foot or two.
(yeah i can see that pic being confussing... i sit on the couch when listening to those).

Got it.  All makes sense now.. thanks for clarifying.  Just wanted to sure I was not missing out on something with these Betsy's.  

That's actually a pretty cool idea to get the best of both worlds when one room is all that is available.  Allows for a proper setup of each in the best way possible (not cramming HT and 2Ch together in the same cabinet/rack).  Also makes 2ch room treatment easier it would seem with no flat screen in the center, etc.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #83 - 05/07/17 at 22:23:37

I thought that, because you mentioned your HT with the Betsy's.

I put my DM's back on the Monoliths! Soundstage is fully back and the DM's sensitivity has no problem on down through the horn, keeping up with the Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB bass at 97db sensitivity.

Crossed today at 80Hz.

Whaohoooooo!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 05/07/17 at 23:39:27

great!  i really wanted to try those monoliths with my ufo2.... but something has to give (money wise) and i love my betsy's, so i'll make do.

i am glad you are enjoying them stone!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #85 - 05/08/17 at 14:29:58

I can relate totally to that Trip. Something has to give money wise. I had to return my Tekton Impact. I would have loved to keep them for rotation. However, I prefer the DM's and also prefer and do not want to sell my modified Acoustic Zen Adagio's.

Furthermore, I'm saving my sheckles for the advent (sometime next year release) of the 6C33C Mono-blocks from Steve in flat plate.

$1800 back to me - less $138 bucks it cost me to ship the pair of Impact back on my FedEx acct. It was worth it....to know about these....but oh, my aching back too.  ;D

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 05/11/17 at 14:30:16

I don't like you guys, for spending my money! Grin

I just received two Augies yesterday! Now I need to find time to build some baffles for them. Put them in my little room and see how they sound. I can't wait.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #87 - 05/11/17 at 15:55:15

Cool. I'm running a single Caintuck Audio Alpha 15" OB and loving every minute of it at 62Hz set!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #88 - 05/11/17 at 20:12:03

The way this Open Baffle layer's in at 46 to 62Hz with my DM947 Monoliths is something. This Kool-Aid is gooooooooooood!   Cheesy Grin

I have had a few box subs in here. The Velodyne, I extracted the killer plate amp I am using with my OB. HSU and a very good Rel sub with Neutrik connection. None, I repeat none, could do what Randy Caintuck Audio's OB is doing for my Music. ........Brings out the bass line notes within superb tonal balance and increases/improves the soundstage.
.....find the sweet spot volume on your plate amp.....where as, do not cause over excursion on the cone (some people need to be told this).

Raise the price Randy, by $25 to $40 per OB.....would be justified. Thanks again Randy.  -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #89 - 05/12/17 at 01:45:13

Quote:
Raise the price Randy, by $25 to $40 per OB.....would be justified. Thanks again Randy.  -S

Howdy Stone,

A long time ago I was privileged to be exposed to a bit of wisdom from Steve Deckert that has become the mission statement of Caintuck Audio ..... "Great sound for the sincere but broke music lover" .....

Since retiring from the IT industry and being able to spend my days in any fashion I choose, it has become the best of all worlds to accomplish that mission statement ....

None of the components I use in any of my products are expensive ..... they just happen to punch way above their price points. If I can maintain the tools I use to build things and have some money left over to satisfy my "music addiction", I am a happy camper.

I recently found a supplier for PE foam to replace the Styrofoam channels I use to pack the speakers for shipping. The PE foam is quite a bit more expensive, so I am now adding a small packaging fee to all new orders.
I even feel bad about that .....

Many thanks for the encouraging words,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #90 - 05/12/17 at 07:01:46

Don't you dare feel bad Randy.  Your packaging as-is, without the fancy foam, is second to none and worthy of a surcharge.  Seriously, I have not experienced such superb packaging with components exponentially more expensive than yours.  

I agree with Stone, your products are worthy of a higher price tag.  It is your decision as to what to charge but the design, craftsmanship, performance or your OB's far exceed their price tags.  If you were to ever price them in accordance with their value (i.e. more expensive), I don't believe any of us who know what you are producing would balk.  Bottom line... don't ever feel guilty about notching up the cost to allow you to further enjoy your passion/retirement  :D

I am loving my dual OB Augie's in Bubinga wood.  Something about this ultra-dense wood is special in combination with your baffle design and these Augies.  The bass is so tight, accurate, and quick.  I have never experienced anything like it with subs I have spent thousands of dollars on - each!

Another glass of Kool-Aid anyone?

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #91 - 05/12/17 at 18:45:31

Quote:
I agree with Stone, your products are worthy of a higher price tag.  It is your decision as to what to charge but the design, craftsmanship, performance or your OB's far exceed their price tags.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words ..... but in my opinion a lot of audio gear is overpriced ..... some of it to a ridiculous degree.
I know that the "serious" manufacturers have a lot of overhead, R & D, dealer network costs, etc. ..... but some of the prices are just over the top.

I also don't delude myself as to the level of my woodworking skills.
Everything I make is certainly functional and I have tried to hit a happy medium between "rustic" and "attractive" ..... but compared to the products made by real craftsmen such as ZYGI, my products are pretty primitive.

There is another component to this that has to be factored in ..... the phone calls and emails I receive from happy Betsy and bass baffle owners means more to me than any dollar amount ever could.
There is no way to put a price on that .....

I have even had several customers send me a gift after living with the Betsy baffles for a few days ..... I have to believe that most of the "big boys" have never enjoyed that experience .....

Best wishes and happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #92 - 05/13/17 at 00:06:21

Word.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #93 - 05/15/17 at 13:31:32

Word., is right J of A.

Thanks Randy and your packaging is impressive as your product. I was all so pleased when opening my OB.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 05/21/17 at 20:43:21

all i have to say is WOW!!!  augie's need to be in 1.5" baffles.
these are 100% improved (and i thought they where pretty good to start).

20170521_141722.jpg

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 05/21/17 at 20:44:25

another pic

20170521_141737.jpg

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #96 - 05/22/17 at 15:02:35

Very nice Augie's (I could not do woodwork like that) and I see you have the better Maggie stands. I see one of the UPA-1's too! You can sell those for what you paid for them...... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 05/22/17 at 16:39:22

thks stone!

they are 2x 3/4" birch glued together.  i screwed up the first set trying to get fancy with a flush mount... that takes too many router passes and takes away the whole point of the baffle (gets too thin).  

they sound awesome now.  really firms up the lower mids nicely and better integration with the maggies too.

the maggie stands are mye stands.  very nice.

oh and already sold the upa1's when i sold my gallo 3.1's.  the pic is a 5 ch amp.  it's part of my ht deconstruction.  trying the ufo2 in my 2.2 ht now.  boy it sounds pretty damn nice too!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #98 - 05/22/17 at 18:41:41

cool and cool Trip! tell us more about your HT 2.2 with ufo2, when you're ready.

Randy!  Hitin' it right now at 55Hz set on my Caintuck OB. Integration with my Adagio's ..........pooooof! blowing my mind.

.........the sensitivity of the driver....the speed! ............the glory of the bass lines!

Damn good with my DM947's too.....I just have my Adagio's in for a week or two run right now!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #99 - 05/23/17 at 22:09:50

Yep, OB Augie's, IME, have been among the easiest subs to integrate with main speakers that I've ever used.  I have used combo's of OB Augie's (1 to 4 of them) with Betsy Baffles, Hawthorne Trio OB's, Decware 945's, Decware HDT's, Omega super 3XRS's, Emotiva AirMotiv 6S', Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's in a BR cabinet, and even a pair of Martin Logan Vista's and probably a couple I'm leaving out that have passed thru the man-cave... the Augie's performed admirably in every configuration.  At this point, couldn't live without them.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print