Send Topic Print
Augie Style OB Bass (Read 74717 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Augie Style OB Bass
04/24/17 at 18:11:51

What do I need to make one of these. Comprehensive list. Thanks.

Or buy one? Randy, Caintuck.....I did not see on his site for sale.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Augie Style OB Bass
Reply #1 - 04/24/17 at 20:52:09

Unless you have a router and some mediocre wood skills (me), buy from Randy.  He may have stopped listing them due to uncertainty on Augie supply, but you can get them.

Alternatively, you could buy the Augie direct and buy a flat pack from Randy if he doesn't have any in stock.

What you need for a setup is one (preferably two) Augies, one plate amp for each Augie and some speaker wire.  I use an older two channel Crown Amp, so I had to make a cord for R and L sides with a 600 ohm resistor.  This way I can run it off the speaker taps on my Decware amp.

I have integrated two Augies easily with my DIY monoliths.  I haven't found a pair of speakers yet that didn't integrate easily.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/24/17 at 21:31:51

stone where have you been getting all your $$ lately!  lol

driver: last we all checked you could still get augies from hawthorne direct (till supply is gone).  

baffles:  call randy for a flat pack, or DBC for one of his 1.5" thick baffles, or make your own.

amp:  plate amps will work but i prefer to use Gallo Ref SA with mine.  you can find them used for $350-400 if you watch.  it's a very versatile amp full range, or crossed, with volume/crossover/boost/phase.  and can run mono or stereo.  only thing i don't like is the fan noise.  i've bought 2 of them.  

and Palomino is right they blend with anything.  i am currently using a pair with my tricked out MG1.6QR's.  and yes you will want 2x of them Wink

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 04/24/17 at 23:49:27

Pal, thanks, I will email Randy and see if I can get one fully finished.

Trip, thanks, I remember looking at the SA Gallo Sub Amp, when I had my Gallo's 2013/14. I will keep an eye out.... But for now I will get a plate amp from PartsExpress. I will start with one Augie..... .

Nice to read from both of you, the Augie will integrate well for both my Adagio's and Monoliths.

I said to myself: "You guys are loving these and DBC too; I have got to check this out."

What power should I get for my plate amp?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #4 - 04/25/17 at 01:25:22

Howdy Stone,

Yep ..... I stopped listing the Augie baffles on my site since they seem to be out of production for now and I have no idea how many that Darrel has left in stock.

As an alternative, I have been offering the "poor man's Augie" ..... the Eminence Alpha 15" driver as well as the 12" version.
As you well know, audio is largely personal taste and opinion ..... and when I had my storefront open I had both Augie and Alpha baffles available for audition. Interestingly enough, I sold more of the Alpha baffles than I did the Augie baffles.

Of course, the difference in price (350.00 vs 175.00) might have had a little to do with that ..... but I have to say that I'm running a couple of Alpha baffles in my home system currently and have no complaints.

If I had to describe the difference in sound ..... the Augie is a little tighter and drier sounding and the Alpha is a little warmer sounding.
The 15" Alpha goes lower than the 12" Alpha ..... the 12" Alpha is tighter than the 15" Alpha.

If you have an amplifier that enables you to control the crossover point, volume and phase, any of the drivers can sound good with some dialing in and experimentation.

There is something special about the sound of OB bass ..... the same as with OB mains .....

If you have any additional questions or I can be of further help, shoot me a PM or an email to the address on my website.

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 04/25/17 at 02:03:46

Thanks Randy! I will email you tomorrow morning.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #6 - 04/25/17 at 07:07:23

Stone,
Randy's advice is sound and having his Betsy's and Augie's, I have come to trust his taste and judgement.  I have not heard the Alpha's.  I have a pair of Randy's 15" Augie's and they are magical.  I came off a Vienna Acoustics Subson sealed subwoofer which was produced and marketed as a "music first" subwoofer.  It was not cheap at $2500 MSRP.  Randy's dual OB Augies makes me forget about the Subson and wish I had adopted these beauties years ago.  

One recommendation I would make is spend a little more and get either a Crown amp or a Dayton SA-1000 dedicated subwoofer amp.  I have the Snell 750 which is a rebadged SA-1000 and it is superb.  I have heard lots of glowing reviews of the Crown amps and their price point makes it one of those great "bang for your buck" amps that deliver far beyond their price point, like the Dayton.  

I really hope Hawthorne has some stock of the Augie's.  If they have them, Randy can get them.   From what I can assume about your audio preferences based on the general content of your thread posts, the Augie's will be your jam.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 04/25/17 at 14:08:59

PM sent Randy.

Hi Jeff, nice suggestions. I checked out the Dayton SA-1000. I do not have RCA line outs for this units line inputs. Also, a lot of power there, for my smaller room.

I loved my CSP3 with Jupiter Caps + it had the Sub RCA out. However, I've gone the purest route....and love my ZMA solo! +, my NOS Platinum input tubes....shine through the best this way too.

So, how do I get some weight back/when I want it, in lieu of my CSP3?....BINGO....OB out of the Box (colorations)!   ......you guys have been enjoying. Maybe, I add a 2nd,...but I will start with one. Randy let me know, if I wanted the Augie(s) later....I can purchase while supplies last and the same cut out and holes....I will already have in my existing baffle.  

I'm going to go with one Alpha Eminence 15", fully finished OB, stained in Walnut from Randy, with a Dayton SPA250..../156 watts RMS 8 ohm, into the 8 ohm Alpha.
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/300-803--dayton-audio-spa250-manual...

Randy's, wonderful OB Bass 15" Alpha Eminence....will be in the house soon!

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are!

Decware DM947 Monoliths/4 ohm (Midrange modification/Wave Guide)
w/PX Clarity Caps ......Duelund, StealthCap or Mundorf MCap Supremes possibly pending.....
enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8 ohm ZMA Taps.

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #8 - 04/25/17 at 16:29:18

Yeah Stone, the sub out is something I take for granted with my Ultra so good catch.  

I was wavering between the Eminence and Augie as they both get rave reviews.  I am sure with Randy's baffles, you can't go wrong with either one.  They are beasts and certainly one is enough.  I didn't get two because I needed more SPLs on the low end.  I installed two for balance.  It is something special to have low end coming evenly from both side.  

Great thing is, you can start with one and simply add the other, as you stated.  I have an inkling that you will be adding that second one in a New York minute Smiley

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/25/17 at 16:55:21

Stone, I started with that same setup (except an Augie instead of 15a).  Like Jeff suggests, I went to 2 and the Crown pretty quickly.  Pretty addicting stuff.  My room is pretty small too:16.5 X 12.5.

But that is the nice thing about it, you can buy another, swap out the 15a's move to another amp at will.

I kept the 250 plate amp and now use it in a secondary OB system with some junk 15" woofers I pulled from some thrift store Sony speakers.  They still produce bass which is better than any sub I have heard.  One day I will upgrade those woofers and maybe buy another Crown if the price is right.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/25/17 at 17:03:21

i will be doing 1 or 2 alpha 15's also, to go with my betsy's in the 2ch ht.  can't have too many lfob's!

stone,
i think you'll find the best results running a 2nd set of speaker wires from your main amp to the high level speaker inputs on the plate amp.  once i switched from rca lowlevel to speaker high level, i've never gone back.

note the alpha 15's can be wired full range too using same amp as your main speakers.  this is the way DBC does his.  no crossover or anything.  sounds pretty damn great too.  we did this with the dm947's (speaker only) at his house several months ago too.  worked great.  so i'd try it with and without the plate amp.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 04/25/17 at 22:29:26

I run 4 15" Alphas. They seem to give me enough bass.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 04/25/17 at 23:58:08

This is awesome guys (Jeff, Pal & Trip)! I can't wait to start with the one Alpha. Trip, DBC just told me about his passive connection.....thanks for the reiteration....and no x-over or cap to try full bore.....that needs to be heard. +, with integration of my Dayton SPA250 ranges. Trip, no RCA line level connection for me.....as stated above/post.

Donnie, you crazy MF.... Grin ....are you really running that many....you're yankin' my chain....... .

Pal, which Crown do you have?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 04/26/17 at 00:27:17

Stone,
I sure do run 4 Alphas. I also ran them for a while with a couple of 100 watt Dayton plate amps. The experience was sublime.
The front Alpha uses a Parts Express Low Pass filter set at 100 Hz. The rear Alpha runs full range like DBC runs his.
Ask around, they work pretty well.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/26/17 at 00:53:50

The first version.  The XLS1000.  $150 delivered from eBay.  I haven't seen it at that price since.   Closer to $200 now.

To run the Augies off the crown, I had to make up a speaker wire with a 600 ohm resister that runs from the positive speaker post on the amp to the RCA input on the crown.  An extra step but it works fine.  It has a digital  xover which I think I have set around 70-80.   I run the attenuation at around the 2:00 position.  Better bass than I heard on any of the rigs at axpona.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 04/26/17 at 13:45:09

Very nice Pal. Maybe, I will graduate up to that Crown. One on Ebay right now that is tempting XLS1000/$149.

However, I'm going to get my feet wet first, by just hooking it up full like DBC has it and Donnie's rear Alpha's. Donnie, I stand corrected...those are sweet Speakers!

Randy is shipping mine on Monday! I will have it Wednesday or Thursday. Only two day ground shipping from him to me....so even three day...gets her to me on Thursday.

Donnie? You don't use the Dayton Plate Amps anymore? You run direct from Torii power...........Tang band's and Alpha's? They are that efficient...so I bet/looks like you are!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/26/17 at 16:02:58

Check the shipping on that one Stone.  A lot of times they build in $50 shipping which is outrageous.  The thing is feather weight.

Now you guys got me thinking I need to try the 15a's.  Or I am also intrigued by the 12" version.  OB Bass driver rolling.  The next craze.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 04/26/17 at 17:22:57

I like my Crown a lot - it's my main amp for both home theater subwoofer, and augmenting whatever two channel mains I'm using.

I have the slightly newer version with the high sensitivity inputs.

I got an open box from Amazon Warehouse Deals for about half the new cost. It was missing box and manual, but looked brand new, still had the plastic on the screen.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywor...

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/26/17 at 17:39:06

How do you have it wired?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 04/26/17 at 18:37:04

My PS Audio Directstream has both Balanced and RCA. Paul said I shouldn't run both, but I could try it and see if it works...something about impedance.

So the Mystery Amp takes Balanced and the RCA goes to the Crown. When I was running the Zen amp, I did just the opposite - RCA to Zen, and Balanced to Crown. Both sound good - I'm looking forward to finding time to build the second 18" woofer so I can do it in proper stereo.

If I wasn't using the dual outputs of the Direct Stream, I'd probably use the 600ohm speaker level trick  you were doing.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 04/26/17 at 22:44:43

Stone,
Yes I run everything off of my Torii. It pushes them very nicely.
I had the plate amps for my "Cheech & Chong memorial quarter wave subs" and I tied them into my Alpha's for a few days just to really push the bass.
My speakers bass sounds just a little uncontrolled compared to Palo's Augi-Crown combo. It really is a small but noticeable difference.
When I added the plate amps things really livened up. But I needed the amps to piss my neighbor off, so they are in the garage right now.
I have strange priorities.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 04/27/17 at 16:33:35

Cool priorities in my book, Donnie.

I probably won't mind that little bit of uncontrolled for a broader under-pinning Range...... .

I have my single OB 15" Alpha coming next Wed or TH. I will hook it up from the left channel only/direct. I want to wrap my brain around it with out a plate Amp. Granted, I'm not summing left and right....but I will get a good taste of it.....depends on the mix. I use spades out and to my Mains...and have banana Kimber 8TC out and to the OB...for a nice easy clean concise connection(s).

I will either bring in a plate amp next or order another OB from Randy for my right channel 8TC banana connection.  Can't wait to lay down a deeper foundation under my Monoliths and Adagio's too.

Pal & LR, you have me pumped for a potential Crown Amp. However, I'm going to unfold my ear/brain to this as described above....and see where I arrive in a month or two.   Cool/fun!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 04/27/17 at 17:12:54

I realize too, if I dig the capability of the range the Alpha covers via no plate amp(s)....and go above moderate listening levels....I might have to reinforce the back of the baffle or baffles, if I buy the 2nd one, with some serious dense MDF, or get overall thicker baffles. Only because, Randy designed these to be run with plate Amp/ranges....and beautifully affordable.

However, I'm only guessing at that....for me.....and I will hear how it goes........... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/27/17 at 17:34:52

Stone, I started out slow, but became a full OB bass addict pretty quickly.  Now its affecting my family life, work, even my relationship with my dog.

My road to addiction went this way:

1.  One augie and the Parts Express 250 plate amp in a rather poorly done baffle using an old veneered shelf I had lying around.  Run with the DIY 947s.

2.  Two augies summed to mono on the 250, both in the same veneered shelf material + 947s

3.  Two augies in the same baffles running off a class D amp wide open + 947.  I didn't like them run wide open as some people report doing with the 15A.  But I realized class D amp = good.

4.  Two augies in the same shelf baffles with a Crown (and the 600 ohm "magic cables"

5.  Two augies in the same baffles + the Tang Band 1880s in another baffle tacked on to the top of the shelf material baffles using drywall screws with the crown running the augies and the Torii running the tang bands.

6.  Built two Pure Audio project style duo's with the Tang Bands and Augies using 3/4" Baltic birch ply.  Same amps.

7.  A Spatial OB style baffle with 1.5" MDF and offset driver "a la Donnie".  Moved to Rachael for the tang band amp.   This is where I stopped.  Sounds good, especially after I got the idea here on the board to do extreme toe-in.  This set up has kept my attention now for several weeks.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 04/29/17 at 20:06:21

Pal, that is a journey in OB alright.

I'm enjoying my DM's to much right now. I have my OB Eminence coming as stated next week. I'm going to run it full from 46 Hz – 3.5 kHz, as Donnie runs his rear pair of Alpha 15" OB and DBC runs his pair too.

So, I was kicking myself, I gave a friend my Plate Amp I had for my old Parker's lower bass units. However, I remembered, I have another Plate Amp! My old Velodyne Sub, has 130 watt Amp. I extracted it....and have everything set up to go + wire. If I'm not digging the up to 3.5kHz....Plate Amp is ready to roll! (Saved myself $150.00)!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/30/17 at 00:53:55

Today I made 1" MDF baffles for my Betsys and thrift store 15s.  Total cost for these speakers will be around $200.  Glad I held on to my plate amp as well.  With the Torii these things crank.

This will be my cottage system along with a bifrost uber Dac and my old Mac mini.  Will run optical until I get a new dac that can run USB.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 05/02/17 at 13:50:27

Alpha OB, arriving Wednesday. I am all set up, to run with and without plate amp. I'm going without plate first, out of the gate/to get a sense of it-up at 3.5kHz.

Any thoughts on placement? Randy suggested, to also try sideways to speaker placement.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 05/02/17 at 13:57:06

Stone, part of the reason I jumped to two of them so quickly was that, as you know, bass up that high is directional.  

Right in the middle as Randy tends to place them was best, but not a long term option in my room.

BTW, I had stands for my 947 clones and ran them with and without the base cabinets with the Augies.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #28 - 05/02/17 at 15:39:15

Thanks for the reminder Pal.....bass up that high is directional. For that reason and also up that high, the open baffle is being stressed too/vibration.

Out of the gate.....I'm using my plate amp (as intended by Randy's design). Plus, I would only be coming out of one channel to hear it up at 3.5k.....yes a taste....but not the other channel separate or summed, obviously. I want that perpendicular versatility for either side of my room too (besides the frontal plane). I will find the best place this OB shines..... .

I have no stands to try my 947's without the Monoliths. I could put them on the floor, tilted up....but no. I have them well positioned and want the Monolith bass they are producing + OB bass.

Pal, did you like them with or without the Monolith bases? You also prefer obviously running them with you Crown and not direct. Albeit, I'm only running one for now...... .

Eventually, I will try it direct/curious, one channel direct from ZMA.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 05/02/17 at 15:43:18

I preferred them without the base for bass clarity.  However, I think I lost some of the imaging benefits of the rear pointed horn if that makes any sense.  Keep in mind that I built these bases and I doubt they are anywhere near the specs of a Decware built product.

I'd stick them on some milk crates or cement bricks and see how they sound.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #30 - 05/02/17 at 15:48:31

Cool thanks, I will get them up on something to hear without monolith bases.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/02/17 at 16:12:59

Stone,

Here are your EXACT speakers that Tripwr1964 brought down to my place for a listen with my full range SLAB's. These are on IsoAcoustic stands tilted UP. I have the IsoAcoustic on SubDudes here simply because I had been experimenting with different speaker positions and the SubDudes slide easily. The stands work well directly the floor. These are the medium IsoAcustic which are cheap compared to most monitor stands and the Isolation really works.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ISOL8R155

I have found that with monitors this type of mounting (closer to the floor) actually reinforces (boosts) the monitors low frequency output. Strangely enough, there is no sense that the soundstage is lower because the speakers are lower to the floor and tilted.

The other night I listened to my system with just the Left SLAB as positioned above. The effect of just the one was about 70% compared to both combined. The Single SLAB didn't do anything weird to the soundstage. System still sounds a lot better with one SLAB vs. None.

DBC

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 05/02/17 at 16:23:27

I've heard the Monoliths at Decware, they are great speakers. Only problem I have with towers these days is they can Load-Up a room with bass. Even in Steve's perfectly treated room I've heard these overload the room on the low end on some material.

The combination of just the monitors and properly sized OB's will not overload the room. Typically towers go lower than monitors but the towers added cabinet volume while boosting the lower frequencies does tend to diminish the control and accuracy of bass in many cases.

Once you have heard OB bass, you begin to realize what cabinet noise or coloration is. I've run my Klipsch RF-7's (big floor standers) with the SLAB's. The combo sounds good but you can tell the bass from the RF-7's lacks the control of the SLAB's. I much prefer the Decware Monitor / SLAB combination compared to the Klipsch RF-7 / SLAB combo which seems similar to Pal's experience.

DBC

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #33 - 05/03/17 at 14:57:14

Thanks DBC, for the tip on the stands! Affordable. I have done business with Sweetwater (Headphones & Auralex Subdude).....like SW a lot. I probably will get them. Yeah, it's nice to have the exact Decware DM's you listened too. I love them via: ZDSD>ZMA>DM947 Monoliths (all Kimber Kable Select).

I'm going back to my original stated hookup first.....full range to 3.5k, left channel only (70% there & soundstage still very good-you stated).....with monoliths attached. Then left & right thru Velodyne Plate Amp.

Then, both ways stated, with them on a couple of chairs....to simulate stands.

DBC, I noticed you have your SLAB's wired from the Speakers and not the Amp?

No delivery today  :'( .....tomorrow my local UPS gets their shipment between 12 and 2pm.....hooked up by 3:30pm  8-)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #34 - 05/03/17 at 15:42:41

I wanted to add: I have read the reports of the Monolith bases loading to much bass in Rooms?

I have no such problem. It is not because of/or without Acoustic treatments either (in which, I do have). It is my KS6063 Speaker Cables, that are so well balanced and controlled. Yes, put in 8TC...which is my control sample wires...you get some bass energy.

I owned the KS3033 for 15 years, then KS3035 for 3 years....and now the KS6063....which is special at getting out of the way of the music. Could the Select line be tone controls? Maybe, but everything in our Systems can be considered a tone control. Tubes Amps are actually tone controls we prefer over ick solid state! Whatever, the case, the KS's work.

Note: I did not pay the original retail price on the KS6063. I got a like new demo pair from the CableCo, for 54% off. I have Pelican Case and can/will travel...........willing to bring them anyware and watch the reactions.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 05/03/17 at 15:58:09

I have had troubles overloading the room with mine Stone.  Lots of peaks and nulls.  I moved my listening position a couple of times to counteract the effects.  I have a lot more latitude with the OBs.  Sure, I can still overload the room if I crank the crown, but in the good listening groove, its quite detailed.

I don't remember who I got this from, but its the best bass test song I have found.  Slave Song by Sade.  If your bass is very good, you get the detail and individual bass notes going up and down, if not, it sounds mushy and definitely one note syndrome.   This song is still challenging to my system/room, but in certain setups I am happy with what I hear.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #36 - 05/03/17 at 16:18:34

Got it, we are talking articulation vs. one note syndrome overload boom boom. We are not talking smearing of good bass because of no room treatment. I have that song....from Sade/Lover's Rock. I will listen to.

I am pumped to get this first OB.....and I'm betting getting these off the Monoliths and on there own stands + Bass OB's is the ticket......in which you guys know. ....I need to catch up..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #37 - 05/03/17 at 17:36:15

Okay, I just created speaker stands by turning the Monoliths 90 degree's (upper part towards each wall). Stable, fine and decoupled. I think you're right Palomino, you do lose some soundstage without the lower Horn Bass backwards firing?!

Anyway, this set up will suffice for now and I will keep it this way to add in my OB tomorrow, run full range/one channel....then plate amp/summed. Obviously, not ideal....created a little wall with the liths' turned this way. I will get them on some stable folding chairs....turned sideways.

I'm guessing OB Bass.....stays away subjectively, from the mid-bass hump aspect/monitors with sub....full range or 2 ch/plate amp summed?

Visualizing and now looking at the Hertz chart for loudspeakers....this OB should overlay and in nicely/run full range.....with just the DM947's.

Remembering, full range is totally directional from the front plane and with the plate amp, I get to use the sides of my Room...if it works.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #38 - 05/03/17 at 22:58:49

Hey guys,

I thought I would share a photo that my good buddy Tim sent me yesterday.

A while back, I built a pair of Augie baffles for him from 1" thick solid walnut and they turned out really nice.
They are beasts for sure ..... very heavy and solid .....

Right now, he is powering them with a Crown amp and paired with some Betsy baffles in walnut veneered plywood.
His main amplifier is a HIGHLY modified Decware Zen B that has evolved over the years and to quote Mr. Deckert the amplifier is so resolving that "you can hear a gnat fart" if it's on the recording .....

Tim tells me that this setup is working very well after countless hours of moving things around and doing some critical listening .....

Tim has a fine pair of ears, so I 'm thinking that the setup is sounding pretty good. I need to take a trip to his home to hear it.

Larger photo here.

Other than too much sunlight on the right side of the room, it looks pretty cool to me .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 05/03/17 at 23:13:50

Nice!

Interesting on the "side firing" bass drivers.

I went to my local hardwood store last weekend and checked out the prices on various dense hardwoods $$$$$$$$$.  Not much that wide there.

Also, I'd like to know what kind of bit you are using and if you get to use said bit more than once on that kind of wood Grin

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #40 - 05/03/17 at 23:32:40

OK, I dug around in my wifes CD's and found the Sade track and loaded into my computer.
What am I supposed to be hearing?
I hear the bass player is standing on the left side and the notes are separate. It doesn't sound like a clapped out Chevy Caprice thumping in the parking lot of the Dollar General, so I'm taking that as a good sign.
Am I missing anything?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 05/03/17 at 23:34:33

Can you hear any variance in the bass notes or do they sound pretty much the same.  Its one thing for them to be separate.  Its another thing to hear the tune he's playing.

And Donnie, embrace your inner Sade.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #42 - 05/03/17 at 23:36:54

Palo,
I was just thinking the same thing as you about the side firing bass. All I would need to do is turn my back baffle 90 degrees. I have some really cool tools....
I also have looked at live edge hardwoods in the past, a little on the pricy side, but I have been known to throw fiscal responsibility to the wind before.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #43 - 05/03/17 at 23:39:03

Palo,
I must say that this Sade album really really sucks. Not even close to my bad taste in music.
And yes the notes sound different, maybe just a bit flabby.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #44 - 05/03/17 at 23:40:17

Quote:
Also, I'd like to know what kind of bit you are using and if you get to use said bit more than once on that kind of wood

Hi Palomino,

When I first started building the Betsy baffles, I found a supplier in PA that had quite a few different species of wood in 18" widths ..... but over time most (if not all) of the types they sold me became unavailable.
The only hardwood I'm currently able to get on a regular basis in that width is Sapele (African mahogany) and Bubinga (African rosewood).

I refuse to make any more from the Bubinga because it is a pain in the butt to work with because of the density of the wood .....

Truthfully, making the baffles from most hardwoods is dicey because even after making the initial cutout with a jigsaw, making the final trim with a top bearing router bit and template tends to take chunks out of the wood when the bit hits the grain the wrong way. I have ruined many a good looking board and even removing a very small amount with the router ends up being a disaster 50% of the time.

Routing the opening for the driver is never a problem ..... but the outside edge can be a real pain. You can be going along and everything seems fine and then you hear the router "change pitch" and the damage is already done.

So ..... right now I'm using my jigsaw with a 20 TPI blade to get as close to the cutout line as possible and finishing the edges with a variety of sanders. I'm getting pretty good at it and of course the plywood is never an issue with the router.

You are certainly correct in presuming that a router bit has a short lifespan when working with some of the hardwoods ..... especially the Bubinga .....

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #45 - 05/04/17 at 00:07:16

BTW ..... I have made an "executive decision" .....

It appears that there are still a few Hawthorne Audio Augie drivers in Darrel's inventory that he would like to move.

It doesn't seem logical to incur double shipping charges ..... especially considering the weight of these drivers, so if anyone would like to have me build a baffle for an Augie driver and order the driver directly from Darrel, they can mount it themselves.

I will predrill the mounting holes for 1/4" machine bolts which I highly recommend because of the weight of the driver. For the Alpha driver, I am quite comfortable using self tapping pan head screws because the Alpha weighs a fraction of what the Augie weighs and the pan head screws have worked very well over the past couple of years.

I currently have a rift cut red oak plywood Augie baffle that I made for a customer who decided he wanted something different after it was finished.

If someone could use it, I will accept a reasonable offer .....

In addition to the normal "glue and screw" base mounting, it also has decorative antique brass chair braces on the back side ..... again because of the weight of the driver.

Anyone who owns Augie drivers knows what I'm referring to concerning the weight .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 05/04/17 at 00:41:32

Gentlemen/ Ladies if you have been toying with the idea I would encourage you to act now.  While I am convinced you can get great sound out of the alphas I remain partial to the Augies.

And Donnie, sorry to do the Sade thing to you but chalk it up to advancing your knowledge of the dark audio arts.  Sounds like double down low design does Sade.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 05/04/17 at 01:52:31

Palo - lmao!

I had to go refresh my memory on that sade tonight...

2x on the augies... love mine.

Ive heard some pretty great 15a's too in dbc's thick baffles.

I dont think you can go wrong eitherway, however i still want to try a pair of 15a's running full range off 1 set amp (like dbc).  If i didnt hear it i wouldnt have believed it.
Cant do that with augies... ive tried.  You need some power for those.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 05/04/17 at 04:03:30

Oh I believe it's possible.  One of the more profoundly satisfying sessions I had was at decfest hearing Steve's corner horns running off the zen mono blocks.  I think there was a xover of some kind but no biamping.

We are cooking up a CDApS meeting where I should be able to hear DBCs SLABS running off Eric's souped up Zen.  Should be good.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #49 - 05/04/17 at 04:27:22

Quote:
I think there was a xover of some kind but no biamping.

Yep .... Steve was using 80 HZ low pass filters between the amplifiers and the SO Imperials ..... brilliant .....

They are available from Parts Express.
I have made a couple of hillbilly rigged boxes with binding posts to use with my bass baffles at home ..... as well as a couple of boxes with simple inductors.
The low pass filters roll off at a 12 db slope and the inductor at a 6 db slope.

They both work very well in my opinion.

I still haven't been brave enough to try connecting the bass drivers without the low pass filters or inductors .....

Maybe tomorrow .....

Randy

PS ..... I'm not sure how efficient the drivers are in Steve's SO Imperials, but they have the benefit of horn loading.
The 15" Alpha drivers have a 97 db sensitivity rating ..... quite a bit higher than the Augie driver is (about 89 db if memory serves me).

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print