Send Topic Print
Monolith DM947 (Read 16041 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Monolith DM947
04/19/17 at 20:55:17

Finally, a pair of Decware Steve Ziggy Speakers in the house tomorrow!

I am posting here for more traffic to my question. Is their a way to create a quick change for Caps in/for my 947's, without soldering each time? Even though, I know for some Caps, the leads can be brittle/fragile..... .

I would like to try:
Audio Note
StealthCap
Jupiter
Mundorf
Duelund

......4 to 6 weeks duration per each matched pair of appropriate value uF & VDC.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Monolith DM947
Reply #1 - 04/19/17 at 21:09:47

I would think you could once you pull the existing cap.  It's only on the tweet and you could run a bi-wire configuration.  I think my cap is actually soldered to the terminal.    You could go speaker wire to cap to post.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 04/19/17 at 21:51:04

Thanks Pal. Seems simple enough. I look forward to looking behind the terminals and what I can do for a tight non-solder connection via K.I.S.S. method (in my case).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 04/20/17 at 19:51:43

They have been hooked up and playing for a couple hours now. I love um'.

The Clarity Caps are fine with me so far. They have a nice bite (what a nice budget Cap). Nice timbre as well ....loving how the 8" with wave guide is pretty much running full range. Integration of the bass is spot on. Loving the musicality. Imaging/detail and soundstage.......very, very good. All in two hours + now .....yes. Running my Mullard's for Inputs/ZMA.

I decided right out of the blocks instead of using my Kimber 8TC and copper monster jumpers or the stock metal....to use my Kimber KS6063 Speaker Cables (it fit~yes) and my Kimber AG Silver jumpers. Spot on ~ spot on. The smoothness of instrumentation within instrumentation the KS6063 lets through this 8" is goooooooooooood. The AG Jumper's are not to hot going up top to the Tweets.

Might I decide to put Mundorf MCap Supremes in them? Sure, maybe? Right now though....I like they are an different animal from my stellar Adagio's. But, stellar out of the blocks, the 947's are too. Receiving them broke in is awesome!

.....back to Listening, before I have to shut her down at 5 and go grocery shopping with the better half.  :'(

PS-I forgot how well built these Speakers are! The Monolith Horns are very well built too.
........Running on the 8 ohm taps of my ZMA....will try the 4 ohm tomorrow.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 04/20/17 at 20:48:15

Oh yeah, with ZMA at full warm up and DM947's.......ohhhh, the Involvement in my System!

Stone happy!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/17 at 00:32:43

stone

glad they got there safe and that they've found a new home!
ive heard them at steve's with zma and torii mkV (proto) and loved them too (thats why i bought them).
i was hoping to hear them with my super zen on order... probably wouldn't have sold them if the super zen got here first!

i still have my maggies and my betsy/augie combo to keep me smiling.

anyway, enjoy and keep us updated on any tweaks.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 04/21/17 at 01:36:00

Trip, when I read you had the Betsy's for your Super Zen coming + you have Augies too.....I bet you will enjoy.

Maggie's are great man. I worked there when I was a young man. I will bring the .7's in, in a year or two. I sold a pair I had years ago.

Fun to have different Speakers. I have my vintage Polk SDA SRS 1.2's in my Solid State Rig.

But of course, my muse and my musical involvement, is my ZMA ......now with the DM947 Monoliths and my modified Adagio's.

Like you decided to sell......I'm returning the Tektons.....I can't own everything and my aching back!  ;)

Yes. If I put different Caps in them I will post.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 04/21/17 at 01:46:26

Stone,
So you are returning the Tektons??
I thought that they were the best thing since boobies?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 04/21/17 at 04:28:33

Boobies are still better. 😜

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 04/21/17 at 15:50:57

Jesus Christmas, pardon my French.....but, I should have bought these Speakers 3 years ago!

ZDSD/ZMA/Kimber Select/Monoliths.....matches made in Heaven.

I don't want to go to work!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 04/21/17 at 16:06:49

Decware speakers are special. Congrats The combo of my DMP/DSD and Torii Mk III and HR-1s is riveting. I don't have to go to work, which is a great thing as I probably couldn't.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 04/21/17 at 16:21:04

Thanks Lon and you are a well deserved retired man. I remember your trials and tribulations with your boss down in Texas and whom you have lost. Only peace and happiness to you sir.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 04/21/17 at 17:26:32

Thanks. Peace and happiness to you too. And music as the cherry on top.

Hope your Mom can remain safe and comfortable. My Mom spent the last seven years or so of her life slipping deeper and deeper into dementia, and I took care of her (and my Dad) daily the last two years of her life, and I am so glad I was there and she was able to stay in her home and with her husband of 61 years. Things got increasingly harder for my Dad as my Mom declined, keep an eye on yours and support him all you can (I know you will!).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/21/17 at 17:28:29

Quote:
I should have bought these Speakers 3 years ago!

Steve seems to really like the Monoliths and HR1s with the ZMA.  I would have gone the Monolith route over the HR1 but Steve said I could get away with the HR1s close to a wall whereas the Monoliths do better with more room to breath.

I've been hoping you'd get some HR1s in someday but it's nice to hear your impressions with the Monoliths.  I didn't do much comparing.  I replaced some Monitor Audio RX6s with the HR1s and there isn't much comparison (5Xs the cost!).

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #14 - 04/22/17 at 01:22:12

Stone, I couldn't agree more.

The Monoliths (DM947), through my ZDSD>Ultra>ZMA give me goosebumps.  When I purchased the Monoliths, I originally fed them with my Torii Jr. and they sounded great.  However, when I picked up my ZMA a couple months ago and listed to the ZMA-powered Monoliths, the sound was in a different league, in my opinion, and I commented prior on that note.  The Monoliths are superb!!  ....when juiced properly.  

So, I am currently listening to Randy's OB Betsy's while I await my Omega SAHO's which shipped a few days ago.  I have been having a great time with these gems!  I still have my DM947's and will not be letting those go - ever.  I am anxious to get to know the SAHOs and compare their sound to the Monoliths.  

I also adore my Ultra for what it does, but I want the option to go ZDSD directly to my ZMA, so the other day I ordered a ZSB switch box so I can select whether or not I want my ZMA fed direct or via Ultra.  My Ultra still commands my all tube-based HT system so during movies the ZMA will always have the Ultra in front - and with that my movie watching experience is surreal.  This is especially true after adding two OB "Auggie" subs.  :)

Anyway, I NEED to hear how my ZDSD and ZMA can tango - alone.  The ZSB will also allow me to direct connect my phono stage, no preamp.  

Keep on enjoying those Monoliths - one of the most understated speakers in the Decware lineup in my opinion, based on my listening experience and what is said (and not said) in this forum.

Cheers brother!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 04/22/17 at 14:11:06

Thanks Lon, appreciate it.

Archie, I should have got the HR1's, instead of my Adagio's...same price range. However, after I modified the Adagio's....my ZMA loves them. I look forward to comparing. The Monolith's are incredibly compatible and profoundly musical with my ZMA. No hyperbole, .....I am so pleased. Plus, I finally got a deal in this damn hobby on them....instead of losing my shirt (when I sell/part with Gear). Trip, received a great used price on them....and that was passed to me. At $1205.00 delivered to my door/Stone happy!
.....The Adagio's might be restored with their original x-overs and on AgoN....come June....I will hear/see?!

Wow Jeff of A, ....you have an awesome System and HT with an Ultra...I'm jealous. Look forward to your impressions of the Saho's, Betsy' and 947's. Yes, .....you won't ever sell your 947's.....I now know why! Now, that I have a pair in my Room with my ZMA....I'm kicking myself....I did not get these 3 years ago (or the HR1's). Worth every penny brand new, Lurkers out there.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/22/17 at 18:27:47

Quote:
At $1205.00 delivered to my door/Stone happy!

That is a screaming deal.  No way to go wrong.  If my living room had a different configuration I would be running the Monoliths.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/22/17 at 21:35:33

My brother came up with a phrase to denote taking care of an elderly relative: accelerated living. It was pretty catchy. We helped our Mother out during her final years. Mom thought the expression was straight on.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #18 - 04/29/17 at 19:46:43

Yes Arch, a screaming deal....I am so pleased with.

10 days in with them and having compared to my modified Adagios's, three times now...... . I like the way details are portrayed from the DM's better and the images are better on a deeper soundstage! Midrange to die for. The decay of Piano, Hollow Body Guitar/Guitar's, is so good. Inner brass and woodwinds....just beautiful timbre's and decay's. I have them 3.5 feet from my back acoustically treated walls/ corner's/bass is articulate and so very good.

The matches presented with the ZDSD, ZMA to DM Monoliths....bravo Steve/thank you.

Now, I get to sell my Adagio's!  Great Speaker's of 2.5 years for me. But, as mentioned above + the PRaT factor.....is even better....DM's win!

I have Randy's Eminence 15" Alpha OB coming next week!  Can't wait! ....to bring in some consummate low end.....when I want it.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 05/11/17 at 16:18:02

Three weeks in on the DM's, that sent the Tekton's away. Now, with further A-B-A'n.......they are bidding adieu to the Adagio's too.

The air space around instrument images and the decay's....and detail without hype + tone/timbre is spot on......super soundstage and I totally get the PX Clarity caps with these Speaker's. Plus, the integration of my OB Bass with these Monoliths is seamless. Comb filtering subjectively, is not happening here. Just great music coming through.

Taking some nice pic's of the Adagio's next week and listing them.
....this is good news for my Decware 6C33C Mono-block's ~ 15 Steve Deckert watts per ch/TRIODE Amplifier's FUND.

Time to do some input tube rolling and inverter.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are

Decware DM947 Monoliths/4 ohm (Midrange modification/Wave Guide)
w/PX Clarity Caps
Kimber Silver (AG) Jumper's to Tweeter's
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 62 Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/3 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 05/12/17 at 08:28:35

Wow, seems like the DM's really won you over, that's something comparing them to the Adagios at 4.5 times the price.  Makes me want to hear a pair too! Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 05/14/17 at 03:01:55

DM947 Monoliths that is, have won me over. The cool part is, with the flick of a switch on my plate amp.....I get to add the Caintuck Alpha 15" OB. Which of course, is not needed or applicable to all recordings/tracks. So, that is used in and out as you can imagine.

The Adagio's modded do not dig the OB's with their Transmission Lines.....which is fine...they are a different beautiful transducer in their own way/right. I am going to keep them around longer....... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #22 - 05/14/17 at 15:45:44

Hey Stone, When you have a moment to wipe that smile off your face and take a break from sitting and listening deeply to the magic could you take a pic of this new room set up....all sounds awesome!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #23 - 05/14/17 at 17:57:15

Posting to Facebook or AudiogoN is easy. Posting here is to hard and I'm lazy (just kidding about the lazy part  ;D). PM me your number and I will text you a pic or two.

I saw your pics ....nice System and room treatments. I have poor mans room treatments....but they work.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 05/17/17 at 21:55:52

Oh yeah, as I stated in reply #21......the Adagio's are staying around as in not going anywhere. They just put the DM's in their place....the Adagio's at high SPL have such a composure....+ the fidelity of the Mundorf MCap Supremes with them.

However, I have no reservations about the DM947 Monoliths with Mundorf's happening soon.....the PX Clarity Caps need to go.....for my ear/brain connection-I need the Supremes. It took a little while to wrap my brain around the sonic characteristic's of the PX's.....burning them back in significantly.

I have no doubt I will have two great Speaker pairs to rotate.

Now, to see how the next year unfolds for the anniversary hot rod UFO Zen or hot rod Rachel UFO. Like these two types of Speakers mentioned for different references and enjoyment.  So too, is the spice of life to have the Class A ZMA push pull and Class A triode (again) to rotate.

PS-I got my OB to work nicely with the Transmission Lines of the Adagio's!  Movement and adjustments work.....imagine that Stone  ;D.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3