Send Topic Print
The Zen Motor (Read 10227 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

The Zen Motor
04/10/17 at 22:23:50

The following link contains part I and part II of the Zen Simplicity Video (currently running at the top of the forum) about a motor that if you don't count the two bearings has only one moving part.

https://decware.wistia.com/projects/8l92tltmbo

Watch it work first at low speed and then... part II.

Enjoy,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #1 - 04/10/17 at 23:17:49

Steve,
I showed your video to several of our Engineers today. Our best guess is that the steel ball bearings are slightly magnetized, or not! Several arguments ensued.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/11/17 at 00:34:01

Quote:
As to what makes it move I've seen some interesting theories but nothing that I'm willing to take to the bank yet.

Cheesy  Maybe this is the "Cold Fusion" of motors!   Cheesy  Except this one works!   Cheesy

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/11/17 at 00:46:37

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/11/17 at 00:49:19

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 04/11/17 at 01:39:57

LOL !

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: The Zen Motor
Reply #6 - 04/12/17 at 01:56:57

Quote:

Steve,
I showed your video to several of our Engineers today. Our best guess is that the steel ball bearings are slightly magnetized, or not! Several arguments ensued.

Show it to them again, now that there is a part II.  Engineers are so fun to fk with. : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 04/12/17 at 02:05:44

Quote:

Steve,
Be real careful with your motor if it is spinning 90K RPM. a little bit of unbalance at that speed could be catastrophic. You have a outside surface speed of over 47,000 foot per minute! That is a lot. I don't know what kind of stainless that you are using, but I would be very wary of it getting close to it's bursting limit.
Also be very careful sending current through ball bearings, it has a tendency to arc between the balls and races, causing pits, making the bearing to turn harder. I like ceramic bearings, but you would need to come up with a different way to get the electricity to the shaft.

I meant to say 9K, but it's just a number that popped into my mind... watch part II of the video and see if you can guess how fast it went.  That was as fast as I can get it without melting something.

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 04/20/17 at 17:24:30

Wow, I'm stumped on this one.

I'm sure it's an elegant solution, but you got me.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 04/21/17 at 02:33:10

If it used electricity in a conventional way, the RPM's would be limited by the number of winds on the stator and the flux of the magnetic gap.

This works with either AC or DC current.  It also works under water.  

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 06/02/17 at 06:18:45

I watched the first video, and tried not to pretend to understand it. So far so good. I have not watched the second video, as I am saturated. Point is, I could take all of this in eventually, until you added, "It also works under water." Now, what the hell do I do with that monkey wrench? I mean to my mind you just can't unring that bell.
Many years ago, I liked to blow my mind... slowly. I would imagine a finite object, then increase it. I kept increasing it's size in my mind trying to get closer to infinity. Everytime, there was a certain point at which a breaker blew in the back of my head. We are not allowed access past a certain point, period.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 06/03/17 at 04:28:28

In the second video I get it up to some astronomical RPM by changing from 6 volts at 4 amps to 12 volts at 600 amps.  Definitely DO NOT WATCH the second video.

: )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 08/20/17 at 05:04:57

Here is video one:  https://decware.wistia.com/medias/i1xu7wr0om

and

Here is video two: https://decware.wistia.com/medias/urb1u0c60f

This has to be almost to the coolest thing I've tried all year... anyone care to guess the RPM's ???

If you haven't seen these videos, watch the first one to see the motor with no parts...  then watch the second one to see it jump to hyper speed!

Sorry, I forgot until today to place these links after having removed the videos from the forum header.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 08/22/17 at 05:23:37

I love the puff of smoke when it really gets cranking. I'm not sure if that's lubricant cooking off at high rpm or arcing from the 600 amps. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 08/23/17 at 02:25:49

My only regret is that I didn't have a laser tachometer of some sort to measure the RPM's. When I get one I'll make a 3rd video.  Right now I'm still having fun guessing.  You saw how long the spin was with 6 volts at 4 amps... How many times longer was this...  600 amps / 4 = 150 x 2 (12volts) so was it 300 times longer?

The theory of a ball bearing expanding into an egg shape and contracting based on current induced heat gets harder and harder to fathom as the RPM's increase... you wouldn't think the metal could change temperature that fast, and what frequency would that have been?

I have certain intellectual friends who I am looking forward to visiting with so I can show them this and melt their brain. After all that is the only practical use for the design as it doesn't have much torque and creates too much heat.

Still, it is the ZEN motor of all time...  basically one moving part. Who knows, perhaps rotation that high in the absence of a magnetic field does other things we don't know about : ) Sucks only being conscious of 3 out of 12 dimensions... so much we don't see or perceive. For all we know every time I turn it on some Paladin Monk in a parallel universe on a different planet spontaneously farts without a clue what's causing it.

It would be interesting to scale it up to something larger and see what happened.  

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print