03/29/24 at 00:11:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
selector switch (Read 10702 times)
meteoor
Verified Member

selector switch
04/02/17 at 20:52:48

I have three systems, two digital and and one analog. They all have their uses. My quandary was output-level switching. This project, underway, is made of two 4 pole 3 throw Swiss Elmos and twenty four cardas solid copper binding posts in a solid walnut enclosure (which, as you can see, is still in process). It will switch 2 channels to select between 3 amplifiers and 3 sets of speakers. I'm thinking of wiring it with un-insulated pure silver conductor. (BTW, I'm totally aware that extra components in the signal stream are discouraged however, the added impedance in this arrangement will be, next to nothing. Listening to i-tunes library or
CDs early evening, then switch to all analog vinyl later on. That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for reading! More pics coming.

IMG_3288.jpg
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: selector switch
Reply #1 - 04/08/17 at 19:34:49

You deserve accolades for such robust work. That is exactly how I would build such a device. Looks to be walnut as well. I really doubt that will in any way, hinder the sound being in the mix, especially for the switches that you have chosen. They are of the highest quality, and I have never had even the slightest issue with them in a system. The best part is that you are following through with the whole thing, one end to the other. That's where the difference lies.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
meteoor
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/09/17 at 00:15:48

Thanks 4krow! The cabinet is nearly done. There's nothing like solid wood but it has its challenges. The panels need to float to accommodate humidity swings.

Next: .999 silver wire conductors between the switches and binding posts!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 04/20/17 at 17:39:15

Are you going zero insulation on that wire? That's what I was thinking would take this up a notch.

What about any shielding on the walnut itself? Maybe copper lined with a ground wire like an old turntable?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #4 - 04/22/17 at 22:33:30

Hello Meteoor,
Never heard of Elmos switches, and a google search came up empty. So I'm going to assume you're using the very fine Swiss ELMA switches, which they do look like. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Going further, those switches are for switching line-level signals. I don't know exactly which switches you are using, but a check of Elma's specs shows a maximum current rating of two amps into a resistive load, of which your speakers surely are not. Speakers loads are highly reactive.

Also don't know what your speaker and amp options are, but 16 watts into 4 ohms put you at your two amp max for those Elma switches.

Before you fire it up, I'd check your switch ratings to make sure your not going to exceed the current rating.

Cheers,                       Crazy Bill

IP Logged
meteoor
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/08/17 at 20:36:20

Crazy Bill, thanks - yes, Elma switches. My typo!
My particular system will be fine with current rating of the Elmas. The amps are low power, my speakers very efficient at 94db and moreover, I don't crank the volume. That being said, It would have been my preference to use a rotary switch with a higher rating, had such a thing been available. If you have any leads to a high quality 4p 3t rotary on that order, I'd love to hear about it.

Best Wishes,
Janos Meteoor

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 05/10/17 at 18:51:58

Good Catch Crazy Bill, it might not have caught my eye either. I doubt that the Gold Point switches would offer more/higher power handling though. Fortunately for the system used these seem to be a viable option. Back in the day, Considered using copper U shaped plugs for switching. Seemed like a bit of overkill, and the possibility of a bad accident.
Copper foil is fairly easy to work with to cover the inside of the switchbox, should you feel that it is needed. Having said that, where does it end? Why not shield all the speaker cables too Smiley

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
meteoor
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 05/10/17 at 20:27:14

I have a message in to Elma asking if a custom switch with general output level capacity, rather than their signal level 04 model is possible.
If you think about it, isn't this the first thing and audiophile should have? I mean, you're going to be buying and selling several amps in your lifetime, probably several speakers and tons of other components but you'd never sell your switching system. Just recently, I was looking for a high quality optical toslink switch - no good options for that either!!!!

IP Logged
meteoor
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/10/17 at 20:32:48

4krow, that is a very interesting thought: copper u shaped plugs!! That could be the coolest thing ever.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 05/11/17 at 04:10:02

But NEVER, I repeat NEVER try them for the heat setting of your toaster.  My ingenuity stings me at times.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print