Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:48:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with Pre Amp hook up to 2008 Monoblocks (Read 11466 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Help with Pre Amp hook up to 2008 Monoblocks
04/01/17 at 17:25:21

Ok this is an old thread ...I know...but there isn't one for the new version yet.  I own Mike B's pair of Zen Signature Monoblocks, the ones he speaks of above in this thread.  

I am getting a CP3 next week and want to hook it to these.  This pair has the extra inputs to bypass the volume pots, just not sure which ones.  I have only hooked up my Jolida CD player to the two RCAs that weren't covered by the gold covers.  Just as in the pictures below...just click on the link.  I'm assuming the input right beside the ones I'm using might be them.  I'm a little baffled by 4 options.  The write up doesn't help and I can't find an owners manual.  Any help will be appreciated.  I'll copy and paste this to an email to Steve.  Thanks, Mark.

http://prntscr.com/er6uyz

http://prntscr.com/er6zxs

http://prntscr.com/er70kc

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Help with Pre Amp hook up to 2008 Monoblocks
Reply #1 - 04/01/17 at 18:22:14

I think the original amp had two sets of inputs? If so. . . and following the way that Steve seems to use symmetry on the inputs of amps I would guess that the middle two would be inputs bypassing the volume (especially as they are right by the input tube) and the furthest from the ones you are using now would be the other input controlled by the volume control.

But it should be easy to figure out don't you think? You could just turn the volume down on both the CSP3 and the mono blocks, connect to an input and see what happens as you increase the volume on the CSP3. If the input bypasses the volume control the CSP3 volume should bring it up to high volume easily. If not, turn the CSP3 volume up a bit and then up the mono block volume some and the volume should increase with the amp's volume control.  . . .Oh you'll have to play with the input selector switch too and see that controls the inputs that are not connected to the volume pot (does the switch have two or four positions?)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/01/17 at 18:52:44

Yup that's what I figured.  I hadn't thought about the switch and two different sources being able to be hooked up without a pre amp.  If I don't like the CSP3 in the setup, I can hook up the ZP3 and Jolida CDP directly.  

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/01/17 at 19:00:35

Yes, quite a versatile setup you have there! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/17 at 19:04:05

Lon, on the switch, it is a silver toggle with two positions.  Currently they are both towards the side with the OA3 tube.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 04/01/17 at 19:20:17

Okay. That reinforces my guess in my mind that the furthest outermost jack not in use is also volume controlled and the two inner are the direct input jacks. Let me know if that turns out to be the case. Wink

I'm envious, these are I am sure excellent sounding amps and with four source connectivity the centerpiece of many possible great systems. With your new purchases you've really upped the ante.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/17 at 19:39:46

Yes, I plan on finally getting the Omega Alinco Super XRSs out of the bedroom and placed by the Zu Audio "Souls".  I have an extra set of speaker cables with bananas so I can set it up so I can switch speakers at the Monoblocks...no stooping and Back Pain... Smiley  It will be another audio adventure.  I already have an abundance of tubes to roll.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 04/01/17 at 20:02:07

Cool. I remember when I had space for extra speakers etc. on the premises. Some day I may refer to that time period as "the good old days." But though limited in space, I'm happier now, here.

I did something reckless. I ordered the Taboo Mk IV amp. I have fallen in love with the Taboo Mk III that I bought from pale rider, and now have it in the main system and darn it. . . I know that the Mk IV will be a big step up and I took it. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it. Ah well, there's always something to sell and this will force me into selling stuff, an action I really don't like to do but should.

IP Logged
ja1
Verified Member

radio check
Reply #8 - 02/18/21 at 04:07:35

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print