Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:01:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Next Upgrade....  UFO or MC cart w/SUT ? (Read 13905 times)
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Next Upgrade....  UFO or MC cart w/SUT ?
03/23/17 at 18:04:59

Torn to which step I should take next. (probably both but, where to start?)
Sound stage is pretty amazing now...details are very, very nice.
So, which option (MC cart w/SUT or, UFO upgrade to my 2w Zen) will give me the best bang for the buck!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Next Upgrade....  UFO or MC cart w/SUT ?
Reply #1 - 03/23/17 at 19:06:41

I love my MC and SUT but it was the better part of $2K.  Try the UFO mod first.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/23/17 at 19:41:42

I'd opt for the UFO mod. The 2m black is quite nice. See where you're at after the UFO upgrade.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/27/17 at 14:01:57

Interesting thread. I have the 2m black as well. And considering if a mc sut upgrade is better b4b than a csp3. Pretty much same same in terms of $$. And I'm even considering a pair of subs. Also in same price area. What is the best upgrade?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/27/17 at 16:42:06

There's a nice CSP3 for sale right now.

I'm a fan of both the CSP3 and an MC with a SUT but the added weight I get with my CSP3 is welcome with both MM and MC carts.  I'd be tempted to go that way first.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/28/17 at 08:39:44

From time to time a CSP appears for sale but I need one with 240 volt...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/28/17 at 13:51:03

Jorgen, I've never seen one for resale with 240 volt. You might have to bite the bullet and buy new.  All the gear in my main system was bought new.  All the gear in my second system was bought used.  As you know, in my second system I have the 2008 version of the Monoblocks you have.  I think the CSP3 was a nice improvement/upgrade with the monos.  I say go for it.  Mark.

PS...Jorgen, you used to have Omega speakers.  I can't remember model...what are you listening to now?

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 04/28/17 at 15:26:55

Note that the CSP3 page says that the transformers can be wired for other voltages and so I think if you bought used you could have the voltage changed. . . worth a call to Decware to find out about that. I would inquire if the CSP2 and CSP2+ are similarly equipped with transformers that can be wired for different voltages. . . expand the used possibilities.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/28/17 at 16:21:56

Lon, by the time he pays for the new transformers and a new warranty and shipping to Europe....he'd probably be better off buying new.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/28/17 at 16:43:36

Maybe, but it's not new transformers, just a rewire apparently, according to the component page.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/28/17 at 22:10:31

Decware rewires the existing transformers Uncle Lon?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/28/17 at 23:28:35

I don't know firsthand, I'm just reading what's on the product page:

VOLTAGES

This amplifier comes standard with our World Voltage Compatible Transformer. Your CSP3 will be automatically wired for the correct voltage for your country and be supplied with the correct removable power cord.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP3.html

Remember, the CSP preamps don't have output transformers, only the power transformer.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/22/17 at 17:10:56

I would not worry about the unit being 120V or 240V.  I have moved back and forth between Brooklyn and Istanbul a few times in the last 6-7 years. Rather than having the amps rewired for different voltages, buying a decent step-up/step-down converter with ample power solves the issue.  

An SE84UFO draws 65 watts at full power.  My Copland CTA405 (with 4 KT120's) draws at most 250 watts.  Even with a 1,000-watt converter at around $50-60, my system did not have to go through all the back-and-forth shipping of heavy tube stuff.  

Just my 2 cents!  :)

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables