Send Topic Print
Ambiosonics (Read 9111 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Ambiosonics
03/03/17 at 03:50:37

As you guys already know, I experiment with all things audio, yet have a lust for good ol' stereo. This time however, I have been diverted to what I have not tried before called ambiosonics. It's complicated if you do it the DSP way. Cancellation signals and delay signals ad infintum. The Carver sonic hologram approached this idea to an extent, but this time it has gone much further. Anyway, I listened to some demos of the process, and yes, very impressive, but how might it sound on my main system when the little DSP unit arrives. Or will I go absolutely mad trying to get it right. Stay tuned...same bat time, same bat channel.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: Ambiosonics
Reply #1 - 03/03/17 at 17:04:31

Sounds interesting. Definitely keep your findings posted.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 03/03/17 at 17:30:26

I believe I understand the concept, but do you have any links to share?

Ambiosonics is actually a style of house/dance music - so digging through that to find what you're talking about might be a pain. I'm really interested to learn the science behind it, and especially to hear what you think once you get it integrated into your system.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 03/05/17 at 03:07:41

Well, the unit arrived today, and I hooked it up to the system. I will have to fine tune it, but the it sounds as though you are in the front row of a concert (at least you can control the volume) and the sound extends nearly 150-180 degrees as advertised. I couldn't be more impressed with the results, and yet, I am not disappointed by stereo that is mixed well. So, here is a file of a brief about this process/unit:

OK, SORRY, BUT THIS SITE DOESN'T ALLOW A FILE TO BE INSERTED IN A POST. I TRY AND TRY AGAIN. SCREW IT.  

So for those of you that are like me, just type in ambiophonics and go from there

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 03/05/17 at 04:08:12

Ok ok I calmed down a little bit. Here is the irony to me. I can hook up a DSP unit in 5 minutes that I can barely explain how it even works....then there is the forums and all their (or my) little quips, irregularities, etc. and I just get fed up.

'Nuff said about that. Now back to the Ambi" stuff. As cool as I think it is, and I don't intend to dump it, my present stereo does all that my ears want and need to really 'get' the music. Go figure. like a bigger photo lens should be better, right? And in some ways there is no argument. But the fact is, a decent clear photo is all we wanted in the first place. So is the way for audio. Yes, I experiment and am fascinated by many things audio, including acoustics, the way our brains actually hear and interpret sound, and on. This device is no exception. It gets you right there in the middle of the mix and that is impressive and worth owning...but maybe not so much ALL the time and for every occasion. that's the beauty of this hobby------variety.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 03/05/17 at 06:33:38

Ahh, ambiophonics...you originally said ambiosonics.  This makes more sense now.

Back about 25 or more years ago, there was a recording technique called QSound. This sounds like a modern version of that, processed on the fly.

http://www.qsound.com/spotlight/users/recording-artists.htm

http://www.ambiophonics.org/Tutorials/UnderstandingAmbiophonics_Part2.html

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/05/17 at 06:41:23

Hey 4krow,

You didn't mention the name of the unit (probably b/c the link wouldn't upload - I feel your pain). Is this one of the Kemp Electronics units? Those intrigue me.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 03/05/17 at 22:10:04

If you go to 'Ambio4you' it will get you there. Also, check out 'MiniDSP'. Seems that the first company is merging into the second one. That said, there is one thing that is really great about the DSP unit. It has 4 parametric EQ's PER channel. We all know how our rooms like to mess with us. HA!

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/05/17 at 23:29:08

OK, thanks 4krow. I'll check it out.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 03/06/17 at 05:27:37

LR,

Your right on track with the sites that you listed. There really is a lot going on in audio, and it keeps me interested. The people who build their own can really bring about some epic scenarios. And then, to make up for all of that is the chaff trying to put out tweaky stuff that can waste time and money.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 03/06/17 at 16:26:23

Cool. I have a few Qsound disc's. Soul Cages ~ Sting for one, I just Listened too.
I also use crosstalk cancellation in my other Rig, with Polk SRS SDA 1.2's. I love it for Solid State.....will not sell these Speaker's and I enjoy Vinyl with Stereo Dimensional Array too.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=polk+1.2
I paid only $1250. for my pair back in Oct/2011 - steal.

As you stated 4krow, fun to investigate different stuff. I have a Schiit Saga passive Preamp, coming on Thursday and might try the Freya too. I want volume control from my chair. As you stated, like the Ambio, it does not need to be in the System all the time (my ZMA is awesome alone too).

I am intrigued to see if the Passive mode and Passive Tube Buffer mode, they call:
"A unique active stage that uses a hybrid tube buffer?
Gain: Approximately 1 (0dB) through either passive or active stage
Maximum Output: >10V RMS (active stage)"
.....the
Saga can attenuate my ZDSD....and with riding the gain of my ZMA.....give me a volume control from my seat transparently (enough). AND most important; maintaining the influence of my ZDSD's output transformer's and the signature's of my NOS Platinum tube rolling's in my ZMA (input pair and inverter pair stages).

I find it cool that Schiit has seen the void in the market with me in mind for these Pre's. Now, I hope it/they do not suck?
http://schiit.com/products/saga
http://schiit.com/products/freya

Keep the posts coming on the Ambiophonic............ .
http://www.ambio4you.com/store?page=shop.browse&category_id=1

PS~I have PAC-S's of Steve's running out of my Dish DVR....very nice for Sirius XM Radio.
Also, interested in Steve's ZROCK....for Rock in the Listening Room. Only put in when needed for a run of a day or two of my Rock music that needs the help......... .

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 03/07/17 at 03:13:53

I have little to state yet due to just too busy. That will come to an end in a couple of days. I will say though. There seems to be changes for any furniture movement, or speaker movement. Then the unit itself is adjustable. Unfortunately only if connected to the computer. It can all be a little too much so I adjust it accordingly.
In the past, I have used a Carver C9 unit for these purposes with great effect. Now that I have the ZOB open baffles, it just runs itself without help from anything. Starting to think about getting some directional speakers to use with these units and see where it leads.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 03/10/17 at 17:04:28

A little update. There is no doubt that the Mini-DSP unit that I am listening to has great effect on the audio signal. Again it may be more about what you need to be done in your own system, and what sort of system that you own in terms of speaker design. When used with a more directional speaker, I believe that this unit is effective and useful. even when using it on my little computer system, the sound is incredibly large. Now when used on my main system, it seems a bit much, and I still prefer the Carver C9 unit that uses the same principles but not at the elevated level that this unit does. Also, because this unit incorporates a 4 band parametric EQ per channel, that might be key in getting it right for your system. Here is one downfall of the unit. I plug it into my main system between the CD player and Rachel. If I decide to change ANYTHING with the unit, I must disconnect it from my system and take it back to the computer to program my unit. It would be much better to do this on the fly, like in a computer based system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print