Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 07:16:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leave power on? (Read 13281 times)
Ken Rafika

Leave power on?
03/01/17 at 16:46:21

Many sites recommend leaving a tube amp on all the time (with speakers connected), as opposed to turning it on/off for each listening session.  Is that a good idea with a Tori Jr or aCSP3 preamp?

Tekton Designs Electron spkrs; Tori MK IV and CSP-3 w/ 25th Ann Mods; OPPO 105D; Roon Quboz; ultraRendu; Teac UD503; Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Red Dawn spkr wire
If you want to find the truth in life, don't pass music bu -- Eric Burdon and the Animals
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Leave power on?
Reply #1 - 03/01/17 at 16:48:43

I don't know but I turn mine off after each listening session.  Some leave their Amp on all day whether listening or not but off at night and while out of the house.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 03/02/17 at 04:03:20

We turn everything off when not in use, but I will leave the ZP3 on from Friday night when I get home so it's ready for records during the weekend. If I am going to listen on and off during a day, we'll leave things on. YMMV and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/02/17 at 14:17:43

I have two zen's in two different systems. The first few years with the first zen (going back 15 years now) I would frequently turn the amp off. I experienced a number of tube failures over that time when the amp was switched on cold.

In recent years I turn the amp on and leave it on 24-7 when I'm home. Have not had any tube failures in a long time. I tend to re-tube the amp once a year which is not that expensive for the Zen.

So my experience has been that switching the Zen On & Off frequently could result in one or more tube failures over a 12 month period (especially the rectifier). If I turn it ON and leave it ON the full tube set will go a full year no problem.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #4 - 03/02/17 at 18:48:41

Thanks, DBC,
That was the gist of the sites which recommended leaving the amps on -- more failures from off/on/off.  I'll likely replace tubes yearly, too.

Ken

Tekton Designs Electron spkrs; Tori MK IV and CSP-3 w/ 25th Ann Mods; OPPO 105D; Roon Quboz; ultraRendu; Teac UD503; Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Red Dawn spkr wire
If you want to find the truth in life, don't pass music bu -- Eric Burdon and the Animals
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/03/17 at 00:43:37

It struck me that there is a moral angle to this question.  I did a calculation and given that the Zen amp uses 65 Watts' then leaving it on 24/7 uses a whopping 569 KWh/yr.  If it's used 4 hr/day and turned off the rest of the time it uses 95 KWh/yr.  The difference is about one months electricity use at my house (gas heat).  If other components are also left on with the Zen, then the energy waste really gets big.  

I think I'll turn my equipment off when I'm not using it and buy a few extra tubes.  

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #6 - 03/03/17 at 14:56:24

That is a very good point -- I hadn't thought of that.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/03/17 at 19:11:46

I'm not certain, but it seems like I read somewhere on this forum, that once you turn on your amp, you should leave it on for at least 30 min or so before turning it off. That the amp needs at least 20 minutes just to stabilize.
Hopefully Steve or someone can clarify the preferred approach to powering on and off.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/03/17 at 20:34:27

Quote:
The only tube that requires some special note is the
OA3. This tube is fascinating to watch as it won’t light until there has been
some delay after turning it on. Once the tube has lit, it is desirable to keep
it on for no less than 20 minutes otherwise it’s life may be reduced.

This is from an older ZP2/3 user manual.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 03/03/17 at 22:00:51

The usage of electricity, be it the cost vs. environmental impact, is an interesting one.  Lets assume we are most concerned about cost.  Well, being the one to broach this topic, I will go one step further in asking that we refrain from going philosophical with this one so we can at least limit our variable to just one - the cost.  Someone else can take this to that other realm but I choose to focus on cost.  The average household in America uses 10,812 kWh of electricity per year.  So, by keeping it on 24/7, one uses 569 kWh according to Archie's post.  Now, this is where is gets personal.  Some listen very little, some listen a lot.  And electricity is more expensive in some territories and less expensive in others.  If someone tube rolls and uses rare/unique NOS tubes, the cost of replacement can be considerable.  And how can one value a near impossible NOS tube replacement when said tube(s) no longer exist?  

This being said, I think it may be a good exercise for everyone to calculate the cost per kWh for their city/county and measure thst against their average per day listening. This will help determine if leaving it on all day compared to premature tube replacement makes more sense.  

This of course is assuming that leaving it on all day does in fact lead to longer tube life.  The only other unknown is how much longer life - on average - one can expect to get from leaving it on day and night.  

I tend to believe that the on/off regiment is a much more violent process to the tube than extended "on" time from what I have learned and experienced with incandescent light bulbs.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/03/17 at 23:41:19

Cost is generally a good metric and is used for most planning, i.e., Cost/Benefit Ratio.  Generally we look at cost from a personal POV but know that the true cost is typically much greater.  If we all follow the "leave it on" strategy (not just for our tube amps) then cost might need to include additional power plants, pollution/sickness, environmental degradation, etc.

If I had special tubes I would possibly leave my equipment on despite the "cost."  No one has chimed in with other component parts that might fail, such as capacitors, transformers?  A trip back to Decware would really get expensive.  

But here's a "philosophical" angle.  Climate change will only be mitigated if every user of resources cuts back as far as possible (not just what's convenient).  It's amazing that the Average American Household uses almost 11,000 KWh/yr!  I'm not a paragon of conservation but I use half that.  (I do have natural gas though.   Undecided )  It's no wonder the planet is heading towards collapse.  I don't know what a "carbon neutral" world would look like but we all might be pedaling bicycle generators while we listened to music!   Tongue

Edit:  One practical reason NOT to leave the amps on and unattended is the possibility of a random tube failure that might result in amp damage if not caught.  I left my house for an hour with my ZMA on and when I returned there was a super loud, distorted, tone coming from the speakers.  I think I had a transient fault in an input tube.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/12/17 at 05:19:04

Not everyone believes in climate change, or that the world is imploding.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/12/17 at 12:36:04

Uh Oh Riv, prepare to be Flamed....you Denier....ha ha ha  ;D Grin Grin Grin

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print