Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 10:52:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wiring an se84ufo in mono (Read 5045 times)
Barnharty
Ex Member

Wiring an se84ufo in mono
02/28/17 at 02:25:19

So, I know you can bridge two se84 amps in mono, one for each speaker. But I was wondering if it is possible to wire one amp to give full power to one speaker? I only have one amp but I was wondering if there was a way to do that just so I could see what the sound difference would be like.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Re: Wiring an se84ufo in mono
Reply #1 - 02/28/17 at 12:13:36

It's easy enough. You need a Y-cable adapter to feed either the left or right channel feed of your source to both right and left amp RCA inputs at the same time.
Then a short jumper wire between the negative of one speaker output jack to the positive of the other speaker output jack.
Then attach your speaker to the remaining free speaker output jacks.
Make absolutely sure your amp is capable of bridging (what this connection is) or your results may result in smoke.

IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/28/17 at 17:34:51

Thanks for the info, but now I'm thinking the idea of seeing my baby up in smoke might not be worth it. Is anyone running dual mono se84ufo? I'm mostly wondering if there is a difference to the sound besides being able to play louder?

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/02/17 at 05:53:17

I currently have two SE84UFO2 bridged mono. The primary improvement is increased volume.
Since I bought the second UFO2 about 1.5 years after the first UFO2, the tubes on my first UFO have more burn-in. So I noticed a difference in the sound from the left and right channels. If I had thought about it I would have had Steve send a full set of matched tubes for both amps. This may have eliminated the difference in sound.

Don't get me wrong, the difference is sound is minor (to my untrained ears) and the new amp sounds great!

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/17 at 02:53:36

Don't do it. Steve said that you will lose some of the imaging when they are wired in mono. The main advantage is of course increased volume.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/17 at 06:54:15

I have to say that my experience parallels Rivieraranch's. I have a 10W 300B SET amp that I just love the sound of, but thought I needed more power. I've become friends with the owner/manufacturer, who lives in the area, and he brought up a second identical amp to experiment with. He wired them internally as monoblocks, and they did get louder, but they lost that "magic", which wasn't acceptable to me. I have a number of other amps with more power, but none that sound like that. So I'd say that if you're happy with the quality of the sound that you are getting, but just looking for an increase in volume, go with a more efficient speaker. Maybe Randy's Betsy open baffles, which are WAY up there on the "bang for the buck" scale.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print