03/28/24 at 15:47:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New guy... (Read 14861 times)
EMack
Verified Member

New guy...
02/24/17 at 20:28:47

New here, and new to tubes.  Yeah, another one of THOSE guys!  ::)

Been reading all I can on tube amps, speakers, etc., which is what led me here.  I'm starting from scratch after years of dealing with mid-fi junk, and looking forward to building a decent system again.  I have a pair of Hsu HB-1 M2 bookies which will have to do to start, I'm very interested in the Omega line to upgrade into, though my mind is open on this.

I'm open to suggestions which Decware amp to start out with, my musical taste is pretty wide, with Jazz and Rock as my most listened, although classical and country have their moments.  

I live in central Ohio, in case anyone may be local to me and would let me come listen to their setup(s).  I'll try not to annoy with too many questions, but no promises....I'm still learning, and always will be!  :)

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: New guy...
Reply #1 - 02/25/17 at 01:54:38

EMack-Welcome to the Decware forum. There is a lot of great knowledge, opinion and experiences here. I think I researched Decware for about 6 years before I bought my first Zen 2 watt amp which I used for a few years to prove to myself the low watt concept. The sold off all my gear except turntable and cd/dvd player and purchased our ZMC-1/ZP3/Rachael/Omega's have been happy as heck with the decision. Read Steve's articles, ask questions and flip thru the forum. Happy listening, Chris.
P.S. If you get our to rain soaked Santa Cruz California you are welcome to a listen.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
EMack
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/17 at 14:16:23

Thanks, Chris.  
Santa Clara is a bit of a trip, lol, but I do get to LA once in awhile....

Was reading up on the Zu speakers last night...perhaps worth considering as well as the Omegas.  Need to learn enough to select the right amp as I put the new system together....dip the toe, or jump into the deep end?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/17 at 14:57:33

OK, I hope you realize "best" is in the eye of the beholder...in other words I can tell you my opinion and what I did but it won't substitute for your own ears.  I know this is frustrating but I too bought all my Decware gear and several speakers without hearing them first.

So, I own a Torii MK IV, a pair of 2008 2.3 WPC Monoblocks (a new version is offered now at an introductory price that's only about $100 more than in 2008...a bargain) and a Taboo MK III.  I would only recommend the Taboo for headphone use...I have the Audeze LCD 2.2 for it.  The two Amps for speakers are both wonderful and very different.  The Torii MK IV paired with a CSP3 preamp, Omega Sub and Decware HR-1 speakers give a big musical experience.  The Mono Blocks, which I spend far more time listening to, are more subdued and transparent...at least the way I listen...no preamp, Jolida 100 CD player and Zu Audio "Soul" speakers.  We won't even get into Power cords, tubes, interconnects, speaker cables and Power Conditioning that all factor into my sound.  I also have two pair of Omega speakers...an older pair of Omega Alinco XRS and a custom version of the 7XRSs with Alinco Magnet (no longer offered) speakers in them and narrower baffle...deeper cabinet.

So I recommend all these speakers but the "Souls" are a great match with the 2 WPC Decware Amps and I love the HR-1s and have to be honest, I never tried them with anything but the Torii.  So if I could only have one system which Amp would stay?  No question the Torii MK IV.  There are a lot of ZMA fanboys here but the Torii is it for me and a lot of folks here...

If anyone is interested in the Custom Omega 7XRS with Alinco 7 drivers, I would sell them for what I paid   $1250 plus shipping.  This is non-negotiable.  If interested I could probably get pics from the prior owner...the ebay photo's are long gone.  I'll look on audiocircle for a pic and add if I find these.

PS...here's what my Custom 7XRS cabinets look like...Eco Ebony.  But the drivers are the Alincos in the 7 series...that pictured is not an Alinco.  Only the Alincos in the 7 series drivers had a whizzer back then...I bought these in 2014 if I remember correctly.

PSS...well damn, the photo won't post

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/25/17 at 17:31:49

New Guy,

What size listening room do you have ???

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #5 - 02/25/17 at 17:47:19

11' x 16' x 8' ceiling.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
EMack
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 02/25/17 at 20:35:15

Thanks, Acetone, but you guessed a little small...

The room I plan to use is 15 x 22 x 8 ceiling.      

IP Logged
EMack
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/25/17 at 20:39:31

I've been looking at the Tori Jr and the Mk4 the closest at this point.  Its a big room, but the listening levels in that room will be modest...most of the rockin' out goes on downstairs in the man-cave.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/25/17 at 22:07:23

EMack,

Encourage you to read reply's 11, 12 & 13 at this link for a gauge of what you might expect a two watt UFO to be capable of in your room.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1484158418

Tripwr1964 came down to my place to hear the UFO with his Decware monitors. We listened to music and 2-channel HT. You will notice that he never mentions a lack of volume.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
EMack
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/25/17 at 22:26:45

Thanks, DBC!

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/28/17 at 18:36:16

Emack,
I'm just NW of Detroit if you want to come up and listen to my Zu Soul Superfly speakers. I actually flew out to Colorado last year for the RMAF show just to look around. Didn't really think I was interested in changing my speakers at that time but once I heard the Zu's, I knew there was something there that I liked. It's definitely a personal preference and you should listen to as many speakers in person as you can so you can base your OWN decision off what you hear.

Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
EMack
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 02/28/17 at 20:40:03

Thanks, Rraymong... PM sent...

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/04/17 at 01:56:58

Emack, that's a big space but still smaller than my 40 x 30 loft space with a 22 ft ceiling. After a personal consult with Steve, I went with a Torii Jr and the ERRx speakers. And this is my favorite hifi system of all time.
My Decware system fills the huge space with a wall of sound - taking the edge off of digital sources with a slightly relaxed presence. I can be practically anywhere in the room and it sounds fantastic. If you perfer speakers with a more pinpoint image this setup is probably not for you. However, if not, then perhaps worth consideration.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
EMack
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 03/05/17 at 15:27:54

Thanks, Tommy.  I bet that combo sounds great!  You are the second to recommend the Torii Jr, along with a couple suggestions of going the SET route.  Meanwhile, after reading everything I can find, I've written off the Tekton Lores, and plan to go with the Zu Omen Dirty Weekends... supposed to be 97 db efficient, I will talk with Steve if I can before ordering though.

There is almost nothing in the way of tube dealers around here, except for one, and I spent a couple great hours yesterday auditioning a PrimaLuna Prologue Premium paired with a Paradigm Prestige 95F's.  All I can say is Damn!!  Those speakers are way bigger than what I plan on, but the whole system sounded wonderful.  I really wish I could A/B that amp along with a Torii Jr.

IP Logged
eag618
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 05/14/18 at 21:06:15

All good inf Coolo, thank you!

IP Logged
AC
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 09/03/18 at 22:26:13

Thank you for this info!