03/28/24 at 23:57:12 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ZROCK (Read 9515 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: ZROCK
Reply #50 - 05/21/17 at 01:03:52

Dana, I can't answer your question about where to put the ZROCK but I was wondering what you think of your Rumble Filter.  I looked at the information on the KAB sight.  How did you determine that you needed it and what benefit have you heard with it?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
DanaHolmes
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 05/21/17 at 01:15:18

Bro, it is a MUST if you are a vinyl guy.  It takes the rumble/ feedback out of my system immensely.  I needed it because I have two beautiful subs in my analogue chain and it sounds sweet.  The benefit is that my subs refrain from that machine gun affect big-time.  I get my bottom end and fullness, etc.  I am just looking for MORE!  It is a drug...

IP Logged
DanaHolmes
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 05/21/17 at 15:41:00

Hi again Archie.  Not sure if I explained how I determined that I needed a rumble filter.  Basically, my subs and even main speakers were sending vibration through my floor and up into the rack, feet and stylus of my turntable.  This in turn causes you woofers to dance/ machine gun in and out at a rapid pace thus working the amplifier harder as well.  I am not sure if you have experienced this yourself but it is fairly common.  Even with a rumble filter in place you can still get the woofer action if you have a cartridge and tonearm that are not in compliance with one another.  I just picked up a VPI Aries 3.5 turntable and a Kiseki Blue NS low output MC cartridge but I have yet to get the rig up and running.  I am curious as to how my system will work and sound.  Kevin Deal at Upscale sold the units to me and he said the Kiseki is perfect with the Aries.  I am hoping to be a believer.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 05/21/17 at 19:11:43

Dana, thanks.  I'm not getting that kind of response in my system but I don't have subs (just HR1s) and I put everything, speakers, TT and amps on good isolation platforms.  According to my math and a test record my tonearm and cart are a good match.  My TT is one of KAB's wonders so I know what he can do.  That said, I hesitate to spend the $200 plus interconnects to experiment, especially since I don't seem to hearing any problems.  It's the subtle effects that I can't dismiss but can't necessarily hear until they are removed that worry me.  :P

I did once have a feedback issue with my ZMA but I cleared it up with isolation.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 05/27/17 at 03:06:52

With HR-1s you do not need a sub

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #55 - 08/02/17 at 11:58:34

Okay, a bit of correspondence with Steve about why I need the tone controls so much on my Torii Mk III and why I just need a bit of treble reduction when using the Taboo Mk IV as an amp led to him recommending the ZROCK2 to me. And it makes sense the more I read about the ZROCK2. I may want to continue using the Taboo instead of the Torii and so I ordered a ZROCK2. It may be just the ticket to make the Taboo Mk IV my main amp. Now begins another long wait. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #56 - 08/02/17 at 22:50:07

Hey Lon....

as you and I have discussed before about our Torii III's - that we will never give them up because of their unsurpassed synergy/performance with full-rangers, at least IME... so far.  I have been contemplating a ZROCK also... for my less than stellar sources and for good music that has less than stellar sonics.  I saw way back that Steve was "2"ing the ZROCK and have been purposely waiting for him to start building the new version.  And.... trying to time it so I can just pick it up at Zenfest in Oct.  So please do keep us posted about your experiences with your ZROCK2 when you get it.

The other thing in your last post that caught my attention, was your mention of your Taboo.  I did not get a chance to spend a lot of time listening to one, on familiar speaks, with my music at last Zenfest, but its "sound" really caught my attention several times during the 3-day event.  Since you and I share similar opinions on Torii's... I suspect we have very similar hearing perceptions.  I'd sure like to hear you compare and contrast your Torii and Taboo.... if not in a forum post to keep from ruffling feathers - just send me a PM.

thx.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 08/02/17 at 23:22:00

Amigo,
You are likely imo to get the ZROCK2 at Decfest before or about the same time that I get mine! My last two Decware orders (for the ZBIT and for the Taboo Mk IV) took three months from order date to delivery, and I expect the same from this one. I'd love to be wrong and get it sooner! I won't keep quiet about it when it arrives and there are a handful of orders ahead of mine that I anticipate we may hear about before we get our hands on one. Sonic Seeker's impressions and information has been great to have for the original ZROCK.

I'm not worried about ruffling feathers, and to be honest the sound of the Torii Mk III and the Taboo Mk IV driving my HR-1s is more similar than dissimilar, which really surprised me! With either one driven by the CSP2+ the Torii will get louder, but the Taboo gets louder than I listen to ever and still seems to have a bit of headroom. That surprises me but Steve says the Taboo puts about 4 watts into speakers and that seems all the HR-1s need for me. The thing that floored me was that the tonal balance of the Taboo and the HR-1s, which has no adjustment as the Torii does, is pretty darned close to how I adjust the Torii with its treble and bass controls (and boy are they adjusted, treble really reduced, bass really close to full clockwise). The Taboo has a bit more treble energy and a bit less bass than I'd like, and that sounds like ZROCK2 territory to climb and see what happens. Listening today I several times wanted to get up and tweak a treble cut knob. . .that isn't there! So in some ways it will be a long wait for the ZROCK2 if I keep using the Taboo.

The really pertinent difference between the two amps. . . well as Steve says "The Torii has the sound of the SET amps in a push-pull amp." Well the Taboo has the sound of the Torii in an SET amp, and is just a bit closer to the SET sound. Which is really nice, there's that 'organic' feel to a signal that isn't split and then recombined, a cohesiveness to the sound and its ambient response that is nearly equaled by the Torii. And the Torii has that enveloping lower frequency vibe that the Taboo just doesn't quite pull off. . . at least not yet. The ZROCK2 should help with that too. And the Taboo has just a hint more "dynamics" than the Torii it seems. To use someone else's metaphor I read either here or at the PS Audio forum, with the Taboo I feel as if I'm just a bit closer to the music. (Which means sometimes I might be flying too close to the sun!)

So I love both these amps and I'd keep one of the three Toriis I have for sure. . . probably forever. But the Taboo is a great amp and I think the Type 2 Jupiter caps and the UFO transformers are responsible for all those "just a bit more" judgment calls I'm making.

I'm still playing around with the Taboo, rolling tubes, doing other little tweaks. . . and I'l have the Torii fired up again soon, it's great right now to have both heartbeats to the system. And the wait is on for the ZROCK2 and to see how that shapes the sound of both amp and which will win the coveted isolation platform for the amplifier in my main system.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #58 - 08/03/17 at 05:03:16

You know your comment "heartbeats" really hits on something... something that I think explains why we all end up with more than one amplifier no matter how good it is. Hearing music through a different set of ears is no different than experiencing it from a different consciousness. Hearing music through different amplifiers accomplishes the exact same result... which leads one to realize that music is too grand to be fully taken in by a single consciousness.  Probably explains why I have a dozen amplifiers and a dozen speakers.   Smiley
Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 08/03/17 at 14:13:14

Exactly.

I long to change nothing in my System. (I have had everything in my Listening Room that matters, from DAC's to Pre's, Speakers and Amps, the last 4 years).  However, as you stated....hearing music through different amplifiers/Decware Amplifiers.....6C33C's in my sites.

.....and for me different input tubes: Mullard, Ediswan & Amperex...with my constant of the premium Telefunken for inverter's. I am never tempted to switch out my KS1030 IC's....but switching from my KS6063 speaker cables....to 8TC.....has me putting the 6063's, back in pretty damn quick.  ....different sets of ears/consciousness. (The KS6063's, bested my KS3033's and KS3035's).

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.5 meter

Audio Research Pre w/remote volume & mute LS-2B MkII
NOS Platinum/Mullard 7308/E188CC / Cryogenic

(ARC Pre rotated in and out...approx. in, only 25-30% of the time)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC/6922 for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's

ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain ~ w/ZDSD Direct
ZMA adjusted at  80-90% or 100% gain ~ w/ARC Line Stage, running via Remote Volume Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 53Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/4 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3

(Open Baffle 15", not in use all the time....approx. 30 to 40% of the time...when music calls for)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ARC Pre, and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC/6922 ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.      

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 08/03/17 at 14:59:01

I personally just want to have ONE AMP TO RULE THEM ALL. I don't have the luxury of switching things out often, nor the room to store things easily for swapping out. I have a wife, she is not into audio, she doesn't want to look at audio equipment, it's a struggle just to have my system in the best room. I'd choose her over the system, reluctantly, she's more important than anything, but luckily I don't have to make that choice, I just have to compromise.

I think, if what Steve writes about the ZROCK2 design and performance is true, that the ZROCK2 will allow me to have that ONE AMP to be the master of the system, the strong heartbeat that pumps all the music through. I just wish I had it NOW.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #61 - 08/03/17 at 15:19:51

I want the other Decware Amp(s).  I was fortunate when I moved in here to make the 2nd bedroom in to my Listening Room. In exchange, I decked out the loft for my girlfriend as a guest bedroom and a nice space to sit and read.

She gets....I need my man cave/Listening Room. The cool part with her...she really does enjoy music and concerts with me and my Living Room Rig for movies. Plus, she absolutely loves cleaning Vinyl with me and playing our modest Debut Carbon III, through my behemoth Polk SRS SDA 1.2's (talk about a different perspective/consciousness=yes and frame of reference....how my Listeing Room is worth every penny and my time to obtain it).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #62 - 08/03/17 at 15:50:54

Well good, don't get married and change it, believe me it will change.

Though I want most to be married to Lucy and have her at the center of my life. And I only need one system, music is more important than equipment to me ultimately, and I'd rather throw money at one system and have the money for music. I've a good balance right now in all aspects of my life, and I count these blessings every day.

I've got the Torii Mk III powering the system again today. I missed the bass and the wider soundstage. I've gotten so used to the push-pull sound and the presentation of this amp. I'll probably use this one most of the time til the ZROCK2 arrives.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #63 - 08/03/17 at 18:42:41

35 years with the same gal... we know and understand each other pretty well.  She doesn't give a hoot about my audio hobby/system except that she respects that it's important to "me".  Same goes with my interest in her hobbies and obsessions.  It's give-n-take, compromise, understanding and mutual respect that makes it all work.
I have seven "major" pairs of speakers right now... and several more "minor" pairs.  I would like to think that I can get down to two pair for my main man-cave system.  I also have multiple amps, preamps and DAC's.  I'd like to get down to just two main amps for my main man-cave system.  And I think I can live with one amp to drive Augie's.  Preamps... I'm a little torn here too, until I can get settled on amps.  Right now I have four pre's - which is ridiculous IMO.  I should be able to get down to one per the logical thinking side of my brain.  DAC's... oh boy - not 100% sure where I'm headed with this component at the moment.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #64 - 08/03/17 at 18:57:59

Well, that's cool. I have mutual respect going too, which is why I have a storage unit and not making my wife climb over all my stuff in our tiny house. Have to try to ditch the storage unit though, I'm paying more than half my half of the house payment and bills on it. Not sustainable, and I've come to realize I can't enjoy it all. . . in a storage unit.

I've got it down really to one transport, one DAC, one pre, one turntable and phono pre, one set of speakers. . . and if I had to choose right now one amp (Torii Mk III) but we'll see what the ZROCK2 does to both that and the Taboo Mk IV. . . I'll let the winner stay in the system. I can see why others want lots more speakers etc. but not me. Sure I learn a lot comparing components and listening with different "minds" to different things. But I keep coming back to trusting what I like and sticking with and fine-tuning and seasoning one system with stable components. I just want one great system to settle in and listen and watch on. That's among the best parts of life.

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 08/06/17 at 01:35:30

Hey All,

Im considering my next Decware purchase and have narrowed it to the ZMC  or the Zrock. But I can't decide which one will produce the best improvement in sound. The ZMC will cost more considering I will have to buy an MC cart. However, I've been wanting to try an MC cart. But wondering if an MC is really worth the money.
I'm hoping my fellow Decwarians can chime in to help me solve this quandary.

Thanks Wink

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 08/06/17 at 20:18:25

Tal,
It has been decades since I heard an MC cartridge and it was in a not so high end system. . . . Many audiophiles say that they are  da bomb and a big step up from MM cartridges. . . . The ZROCK2 though may well give you an interesting flexibility to tailor the sound and (as you don't also have to buy a cartridge) may be the more bang for the buck option.

So I would probably choose that as I'm over the moon happy with my MM cartridge and ZP3 and the ZROCK2 would offer a nice tailoring tool (I think, I hope. . . I have one on order).

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 08/22/17 at 19:33:35

Lon

thanks for the advice. I may go with the ZRock2 and possibly upgrade to a better MM cartridge at some point.  I currently have a Ortofon Blue.

Tal Wink

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #68 - 08/22/17 at 19:37:45

You're welcome Tal. I'm probably going to be canceling my order for the ZROCK2 because I've decided to buy a ZTPRE.. . . but in your shoes my recommendation stands! I think it's going to prove to be a great product for Decware.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 08/22/17 at 21:54:55

Well, it's official as they say. . . my ZROCK2 order is canceled. That will mean good news to those who ordered after me, they just moved one unit closer to delivery!

I've found some more audio money and I've used it to buy a ZTPRE and a Magnum Dynalab Model 90T SE tuner,  and some great cables to go with them, which fills up my rack space and creates space in my wallet. I'm still excited about the ZROCK2 and think it will prove to be a great product for the Decware line and who knows in the future I may be on that list again! Certainly my audio mania won't be quelled for ever. (Even though I may have just spent my last big chunk of money on audio! Though who knows what the future holds, it always surprises me.)

I'm eager to read more impressions from ZROCK2 owners!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #70 - 09/20/17 at 12:52:55

And just like that the fickle audio winds have blown me into ordering a ZROCK2 again. Had I not canceled my previous order, I'd have one probably built by now! Ah, such is life.

I'm really happy with my system as is, but the ZROCK2 offers another way to get tonal balances tailored and I want to try it out! Mine will have the Jupiter caps and silver RCA jacks, and an ebony knob. Smiley

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 09/21/17 at 06:28:38

Congrats, Lon! I know that you are going to love it!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 09/21/17 at 11:13:20

Thanks Randy. Fiscally, not the smartest move. BUT. . . I think I'll have a lot of fun with it.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #73 - 09/21/17 at 18:42:28

I think you will enjoy it Lon.
It is never going to be removed from it's place in my system.

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 09/29/17 at 01:35:03

Well, after months of sitting on the fence, I pulled the trigger today, and placed an order for the ZRock2!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #75 - 09/29/17 at 02:08:07

Alright!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 10/28/17 at 19:05:57

My ZROCK2 is in "Testing" so should have it in a few weeks.

I will have fun playing with it in the main system (which is sounding fantastic right now, I really don't feel it needs anything!) Also my second system. . . I think that will be the perfect place for a ZROCK2. . . I really think the Taboo Mk III there (and the Mark IV in my main system) is close to the perfect tonal balance with speakers, but a good EQ application could make it just right. So. . .I figure the ZROCK2 may end up there or a second one will! (I think both Taboos have perfect tonal balance for headphones!)

I have so much equipment. . . I really do need to thin the herd (and I really don't even need my second system. . .at least not now. . . and I begin to want to check out the ZMA but can only do so by selling a lot of stuff) . . . but I really am happy, deliriously happy with what I have. . . I should stand pat.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #77 - 11/17/17 at 14:06:29

Received my ZROCK2 last night and have about four hours under my belt of experimenting with it driving both my Taboo Mk IV and Torii Mk III and my first and foremost impression? THIS WORKS. And well.

More impressions and results to follow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #78 - 11/18/17 at 15:34:29

Had a full day of playing with the ZROCK2. The RCA tube that Steve sent is very good. But I had bought an Amperex 6085 to try in the ZROCK2 and had to put it in (I had leant it to bottlehead who enjoyed my pair a lot in his ZROCK and preamp). It lacks an appealing warmth the RCA has, but it is very neutral and clear and open and BIG and bold sounding and works really well with the ZROCK2. (The tube itself is as big as an EL84 tube!)

Once the ZROCK2 and the 6085 were all warmed up and properly situated in my system and settled in and connected up to the Torii Mk III . . . what fun to play with! You can really tailor the sound with the "tone" controls of the Torii Mk III and the ZROCK2. Witht he Torii I can place the Torii controls in much lower positions and dial in the EQ in little steps to get an amazing frequency balance that is full and yet still dynamic and detailed. And having 6922 variant tubes in the ZTPRE and the Torii it's nice having a 12AU7 type in the chain to add its flavor.

For most recordings, "medium" to good, just a little bit of EQ A (which I use most) of EQ B will hit a really sweet spot for the recording. I've been able to tweak a bit and really enjoy masterings of cds that irked me before as they were either etched or lean and dry or both. I've bought different masterings in the past as a result, but with the ZROCK2 I feel I can just tailor the sound more to my liking. In many ways the ZROCK2 allows you to be your own mastering engineer, and that's a big part of the fun aspect.

And as reported by the other owners the ingenuous way Steve has implemented this does actually improve imaging and sound staging a bit, definitely does not impact them negatively. And the dynamic "hit" is really pleasing. . . .

Also I had one big fear: that the ZTPRE into the ZBIT into the ZROCK2 might not allow me the volume range that I have been growing accustomed to without distortion. That was a needless worry, at least with the Torii Mk III there is no compression or distortion at all, clear and fluid detailed sound instead.

Excellent recordings don't really need the EQ and you can either center the gain knob or activate the bypass--no discernible difference there--and listen to the beauty of the sound.

I've a little bit more time to play intensely today and in a while I'm going to connect this up to the Taboo Mk IV as a speaker amp and experience the difference the ZROCK2 makes for that amp/speaker combo.

The ZROCK2 was worth waiting for. It may just be the icing on the cake. My new three Z Amigos--the ZBIT, ZTPRE and ZROCK2 have really transformed my listening!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #79 - 11/19/17 at 17:03:05

I have to say: Steve really selected a great tube to send with the ZROCK2. I moved from it to the 6085 (have the most time in on this one in the tube socket) and then an RCA 6189. . . and then I came back to the RCA tube that Steve sent and like Goldilock's porridge it is "just right." There's an ease and touch of lushness that is perfect for Redbook. The 6085 is wonderful with hi-res material but just a touch too forward for me and honest to a fault with Redbook (my main listening format). Options are nice, I'll be putting that one in from time to time.

The ZROCK2 continues to impress. I wish I hadn't cancelled my first order (live and learn) but I'm so glad I have it now.

IP Logged
Les
Verified Member

Reply #80 - 11/20/17 at 18:04:37

That sounds wonderful Lon.  Thanks for posting your thoughts.  I am seriously considering a ZRock2 for my system.  It seems like a good way to improve those recordings in our collections that for whatever reason don't measure up to our expectations.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #81 - 11/20/17 at 19:11:53

Yes, and you can dial in that extra missing bit of bass. . . usually with just the right amount of treble as well. You'd like it Les.

IP Logged
whoopycat
Verified Member

Reply #82 - 11/23/17 at 02:24:00

Greetings, my first Decware forum post.  I got a ZROCK a few weeks ago.  I don't have a Decware amp yet (hello, Black Friday), so right now I'm using it with my vintage Sansui integrated.  

This thing does exactly what Steve says it does.  I used the tone controls on my Sansui 90% of the time.  Thanks to the A/B switch on the ZROCK, I can happily confirm running the ZROCK with the Sansui tone controls flat sounds way better than taking ZROCK out of the chain and using the Sansui controls.  Everything sounds deeper, richer, faster, less bloated.

I'm glad there are two EQ options, I use them both.  Toggle down is similar to the loudness button.  Everything sounds bigger and richer across the board.  Toggle up is more of a bass extension.  Kind of like using the bass knob but with a faster, more dynamic sound.  I change toggles depending on the recording.  I leave the knob set at about 3 o'clock either way.

IMO a great product that deserves a much wider audience than just Decware amp owners.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #83 - 11/23/17 at 02:35:07

After the filter.  Putting it before the filter would just make the filter work harder.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #84 - 11/23/17 at 02:35:11

Welcome whooycat! Keep posting and hope you have an amp soon!

IP Logged
whoopycat
Verified Member

Reply #85 - 11/23/17 at 23:01:57

Oops, I meant I keep the ZROCK knob at 3:00, not 9:00.  Actually more like 3:30.  I edited my last post.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #86 - 11/24/17 at 16:47:15

Yes, whoopycat....keep the impressions coming. I just ordered mine. Obviously, it will be some time before I get to enjoy and comment.

Till then...........I will follow you, sonicseeker and Lon....and anyone else I failed to mention.....and others/new/get one, that care to come onboard.

Whoopycat, here's hoping you buy a Decware Amp today!

.......here is my order of Listening (keeping each scenario in one to two weeks at a time):

ZMA direct from ZDSD with Ediswan pair (Cryo'd) CV2492/6922 ....as inputs/ZMA

ZMA direct from ZDSD with Mullard pair (Cryo'd) 7308/E188CC ....as inputs/ZMA

ARC LS-2B/single Mullard 7308/E188CC (Cryo'd) to Tungsram pair PCC88/7DJ8 ...inputs/ZMA.

.....currently running with ZDSD direct to ZMA (no Line Stage)....with Cryogenic Ediswan pair for inputs in my ZMA. All else (below) equal/in System.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & my Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.5 meter

Audio Research Stereo Line Stage Amplifier w/remote volume & mute LS-2B MkII
NOS Platinum/Mullard 7308/E188CC / Cryogenic

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

currently.....NOS Platinum Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair....in for Inputs/ZMA

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's

ZMA adjusted at  60-90% Gain ~ w/ARC Line Stage, running via Remote Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are
Also Read.....the lowest noise floor you will ever witness....that a $5180 pair of speaker cables should have....and they do.....(I was fortunate to get them for $2680/Demo pair/mint, from the CableCo....worth every penny/extraordinary realism.....)

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 53Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/6 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ARC Pre, and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.    

Previous Decware Amplifier's/I have owned/Purchased new: SE84CS (#76 Zen Select/you see in my original Signature below/I used for 13 years/2001 till 2014), Torii MkIII & SuperZen CKC.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #87 - 11/28/17 at 00:59:25

The ZROCK2 has been on about 250 hours and I got to listen to it today for about five hours after some days of not being able to use the stereo. Wow. Sound is even better. This is just going to stay in between the ZBIT and the Torii Mk III and a little tweaking here and there of the gain knob will keep the system sounding its best.

As has been stated by a few above the sound staging and imaging improves as well as the tonal balance. A lot of recordings just need a little bit of the EQ applied, others really benefit from a healthier dose. I'm listening to a handful of cds I've neglected for some time because they sounded thin or brittle. .. no longer.

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 12/01/17 at 04:43:01

Zrock2 arrived yesterday. Initial impressions - WOW! WOW! WOW! With only few hours of listening, I can confirm everything that has been previously stated about this little magic box.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #89 - 12/01/17 at 05:05:33

Just ordered my ZROCK2.  I was fortunate to hear its sonic influence at Decfest this year.  And while I am really happy with my system in general, having the ability to easily engage it only when needed is a huge plus.  Although now I have to buy another expensive interconnect  :-/

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 12/01/17 at 11:59:48

Awesome Jeff! Congrats. I feel your pain on the interconnects. . . My big pain was when I had to buy interconnects for the ZTPRE. Buying balanced there freed up interconnects for the ZROCK2 so at least I was spared that!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 12/01/17 at 12:01:23

Tal, great news! Yes, it sure is a nice component, and it will get better over the first week.. .and beyond.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #92 - 12/01/17 at 22:26:22

I'm on the build sheet!  Now, Carly Simon/Anticipation....plays in my head.  

Everyone, have a great musical weekend. My ZMA is warming up while I write and enjoy a Surly Furious IPA. Cheers!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #93 - 12/01/17 at 22:45:37

.....and thank you Steve on the discount (Black Friday only/purchase...now extended). It was a mistake, I thought would be adjusted on my invoice/no worries. However, you decided to give it in full...and once again, thank you.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #94 - 12/06/17 at 20:15:47

I would definitely recommend using the tube Steve supplies for the first few weeks. I tried a few others and settled on it for a week or so after the unit had settled into the system and I got a handle on the use of the component.

But I've moved back to the Amperex 6085 that I had bought in anticipation of the ZROCK2 arriving. It has such a balanced clarity and a punch that is seductive. . .I don't want to be without it once I have it.

This is a HUGE tube! The size of an SV83/EL84.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print