Send Topic Print
Tekton Double Impact (Read 10623 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Tekton Double Impact
Reply #50 - 06/02/17 at 17:24:15

Small, 12 X 13, however, with proper room treatment...it sounds very good. I had the Impact too....not the Double Impact. I liked them....but I could not keep them and my Caintuck Audio OB Bass Alpha 15", modified Acoustic Zen Adagio's, DM947 Monoliths ....and be on my current journey with an NT-503 with ZBIT coming.

It pained me to return my Impact's.....with my ZBIT coming....I'm in lock down and pay my bills.  

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 08/11/17 at 18:39:26

Hey Stone,  I know your Impacts have been gone for a little while now but wonder if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience in regards to placement.  My room is similar in dimension and I have always worried about 'rear' ported speakers and honestly stayed away from them.  I am currently using a modified pair of Zu Omens (which work really well) but am overly intrigued with this new Tekton design.   Having just read completely through your experience, I am even more so now.   Did you find that with the rear ported design (I am assuming it is as the others) placement was somewhat finicky with keeping the bass from being boomy, etc,..   I also noticed you have some OB's,  do they work well in that smaller room?  I have considered trying some Spatials as well but am not sure they would be done justice in my room.
Many thanks for any light you can shed!  -Best, Johnny

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #52 - 08/11/17 at 20:45:52

I had the Impact as you know, not the Double Impact. Yes, the Impact are finicky just a tad....they needed to be a good 1.5 feet out from the back wall further than my Transmission Line Adagio's and they were fine. I must mention too....I do have Acoustic treatment in my room and of course for the back corner's/bass.

The Impact are fine Speaker's. Ultimately though, my modified Acoustic Zen Adagio's buried them. The Tweeter(s) alone, in my Adagio's,  Crushed them and the DM947 Monoliths.....the Adagio's destroyed as well. The timbre, treble extension and being able to handle the extreme when called upon.....Adagio's, including driver's can't be beat, by these two Speaker's mentioned. However, for 1800 bones the Impact is a value.  

Anyway, I digress, ......my OB does a lock, just behind my right Adagio front firing....with rear OB....draining to acoustic treatment behind. Randy's OB, is an absolute steal.

Oh, I had to go open a Surly Furious!  Time to play some Vinyl....and have some cleaned for when Sue gets home..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 08/11/17 at 22:40:18

I appreciate the response.  I figured that being rear ported they would be a little finiky.   That surprisingly has been a nice trait about the Zu's and how they are ported,..  From a bass standpoint placement in relation to the back wall isn't so much a problem.  I do have treatment in my room as well as builtin books shelves to the ceiling on two walls that act as a natural diffuser.  Works extremely well!     I have been wondering if treatment directly behind some OB's would work well in my case.  Guess I wont know until I buy some and try,  lol!  As much as I want to like the Tektons something is really drawing to the OB design...  Ah,  decisions, decisions,..  life could be worse.   Shocked  my other dilemma is whether or not to sell the behemoth 219 and go for a ZMA,..  I really love that 845 SET sound though,..  It was actually the little Zen-84CS that put me on that path, and look where it got me  ;D  Thanks again for the input!  Go enjoy some vinyl,  I think I'll do the same,..  maybe a little Seth Walker to get the evening started right!  -Peace

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #54 - 08/12/17 at 00:42:24

Oh , I would put my ZMA up against the 845 SET sound. Especially with some of the best Kimber Select I use and NOS PLAT' tubes from my uncle Kevy. I'm turning into a bit of a snob I guess. Why I also proclaimed Mr. Lee's Adagio Tweeter and Driver's where I crossed them over to be best.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 08/12/17 at 02:17:26

LOL,  I bet you would (ZMA>219).,.  I gotta say though,  two different beasts,..  I've owned the 84CS,  Rachel and a MKIII,...  each I loved and each had it's merits but different still from that 845 sound,...  to each his own,...  I still think about that D. sound and the ease of ownership though,....  Alone to replace the tube set in the 219 is ~$900 and that's good tubes but not 'special'!  plus,  it isn't something your just gonna move around at 145lbs.   The ZMA's really have appeal to me I'm just afraid I'm gonna miss the 845 sound like last time when I sold the LM-518 for the Ayon,... and I would say the Ayon was more in the Decware camp sound at least Tori sound wise (I haven't heard he ZMA) compared to the 845,..  either way all good stuff,  I can/could live happily with any of but yet I still find myself looking around..    for one reason or another.  For now though,  speakers are the next endeavor..

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 08/12/17 at 02:21:41

Meant to add,...  I have bought my fair share of tubes from Uncle Kevy,  def a good source and quality you can trust.  Have you ever dealt w/ Andy at Vacuum Tube Services?   If not check him out,...  you talk about one meticulous OCD individual  (just the type you want picking your tubes),...   Got a great supply of highly graded and selected stuff!  No ties here,  just great experience. Fair pricing too.   Figured it was worth passing the word.  Anywho,... be well

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 08/12/17 at 02:47:31

Thanks Js, for the tip about Andy. I will check him out.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 08/12/17 at 03:00:20

I miss spoke, it is http://vintagetubeservices.com  Andy is a character but the kind that polishes the pins (the only correct way i might add).   He is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the years they were made and the tooling diferences.   Call him though,  his email sits like grandpa's cell phone voice mailbox,..  lol. Full and unanwsered for months!!!  In all Honestly, call him, tell him what you have and like and where yiu want to go and he'll put you spot on it!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 08/12/17 at 15:14:28

Thanks again js, I did find it (Andy).

I have been tempted over the last half decade to bring in, an Line Magnetic and a Ayon. However, I have been so happy with the Zen Mystery Amplifier (close to four years now)........no need.

You should try Randy's/Caintuck Audio OB.....I am very pleased.

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder ++
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.5 meter

Audio Research Pre w/remote volume & mute LS-2B MkII
NOS Platinum/Mullard 7308/E188CC / Cryogenic

(ARC Pre rotated in and out...approx. in, only 25-30% of the time)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

{ Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8.....in inputs right now~stellar}!
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC/6922 for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's

ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain ~ w/ZDSD Direct
ZMA adjusted at  80-90% or 100% gain ~ w/ARC Line Stage, running via Remote Volume Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 53Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/4 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3

(Open Baffle 15", not in use all the time....approx. 50% of the time.....the best integrated bass)!

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ARC Pre, and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

++ ZDSD DAC, kicked to the Curb: Auralic Vega, PS Audio PWT & PWD, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Chord Qute, NAD M51 (twice) & Schiit Yggdrasil.

~All NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken E88CC/6922 ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.        

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 08/12/17 at 15:24:58

Stone, your equipment tag is getting a little overwhelming...
Grin  :P  ;)

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #61 - 08/12/17 at 15:33:06

Yes mark! Steve is going to charge me a fee.  ;D Grin
I don't post it all the time.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 08/12/17 at 15:55:55

Ya know,  they are both really great amps, albeit different,..  from a fit and finish standpoint,   the Ayon is one of the nicest I have ever laid hands on.  Line Mag is solid and nice and I prefer it's sound on efficient spkrs,  but the Ayon takes no back seat to anyone in the cosmetics dept.  and for less sensitive spkrs it is killer.  The 845's are great but knowing that your running 1kV on the plates can be a little nerve wrecking knowing that if something goes wrong,  you could fry a whole lot inside very quickly,...  I honestly will prob keep the LM for another 6-12 months and in the meantime be looking for a used ZMA if one happens to pop up,...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 08/13/17 at 01:37:51

Tekton is trying to come in at a certain price/performance point.  However my only concern is that the quality of the drivers that he uses.  For the amount he charges they look like a great bargain, but I wonder how much more competitive they would be if he used TOTL tweeters.

For instance there are 11 drivers on the Double Impact and $3000 is a heck of a price for all that.  But how good could those drivers be at that price point?  I wonder how much the could be improved upon by using better ones?

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #64 - 08/13/17 at 03:36:46

Beo, my thoughts exactly.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #65 - 08/13/17 at 14:48:15

Exactly, the driver's were not up to snuff....nor were the fit and finish of the Tekton's. For example, no router circle that the mid and woofer sit in. They were just screwed in on top of the hole.

But, they are at a price point as I mentioned in my value statement (Reply #52) and of course they are not my modified Adagio's.....Mr. Lee's in-house custom made Adagio Tweeter alone, crushed the Tekton Impact an DM947 Tweeter's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 08/14/17 at 23:32:32

I have the Double Impacts in my system now and they sound fantastic. They have an electrostat type quality. I have rolling different amps in and out to experiment. I currently have a SS Benchmark AHB2 and it's very good. Even more impressive is the 1 watt Micro ZOTL sounds,incredible and plays as loud as I ever want to listen.

Eric does have a DI coming with upgraded drivers called the Double Impact SE (special edition) for a more audiophile sound as he says. It's twice the price. I think I will stay with the DI's, very satisfying sound.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 08/15/17 at 02:42:01

ILance,..  do you prefer the DI's with the AHB2' over the ZMA?   Assuming you've run'um w/both.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 08/15/17 at 03:12:03

Jslateiv,  unfortunately I sold the ZMA before I got the Tektons. I wished I still had it but a I knew I would say that. My final stop will be a new LTA amp a few months away that will be 20 watts. I borrowed a prototype and it was the best I've heard with the DI's.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 08/19/17 at 11:07:38

Just when you thought 11 drivers were enough for the Double Impacts ...

The new TektonUlfberht:

I had to count these things  like 3 times to make sure ... there are 21 drivers shown  for each speaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy

IP Logged
Thouston
Verified Member

Reply #70 - 10/06/17 at 20:13:46

jslateiv;

Have you bought your speakers yet. If not; I have a pair of Impacts in new condition, that I will make you a good deal on. PM me if interested.

IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 10/09/17 at 13:36:44

Thanks for the offer,..   I'm in the process of upgrading my Zu's w/new drivers and some other various internal mods recommended by Casey.  I have a friend that lives nearby who just bought a pair of the Electrons.  His initial impression has not been overly favorable BUT they are still breaking in.  I hope to hear them later this week or weekend.  If they do settle down and I like,  then I could be interested but honestly, don't wait on me,  if you can sell or have another buyer then don't think twice.   Thanks for letting me know!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #72 - 10/18/17 at 19:46:06

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
CariKahn
Verified Member

Reply #73 - 07/31/19 at 16:31:36

Hi...REW is free and JRiver is cheap. They will make more improvement in your overall system than many multi-thousand components. It does require that you keep your music sources as digital rips in JRiver -- but this has som many advantages that once you get used to it, you will not go back.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print