Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:56:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84 UFO mated to Tekton Pendragons (Read 23323 times)
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

SE84 UFO mated to Tekton Pendragons
02/10/17 at 20:24:03

I am currently running Omega 3XRS's with my SE84 UFO but just ran into a great deal on a pair of Tekton Pendragons. I might pick these up and do a little comparison. I guess if worse came to worse, I could just sell them if I don't like them.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: SE84 UFO mated to Tekton Pendragons
Reply #1 - 02/23/17 at 20:46:47

Have you gotten those speakers yet?   Wink

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/11/17 at 17:54:08

I have.   Wink

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/12/17 at 00:48:27

How do they compare to the Omega's?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/15/17 at 20:34:18

Sorry for the 5 month delayed response. Two totally different speakers. Is one better than the other???? No. Omega=speed, transparency, details, imaging and floating soundstage to die for. Tektons. Effortless, accurate, natural, wall of sound but amazing imaging as well. And the bass they produce is jaw dropping. A true full range speaker. I like them both though. Wish I had rooms for both. But for my specific situation, the Pendragons will be in my main system for a VERY long time.

IP Logged
ginny

Reply #5 - 09/18/17 at 23:05:58

HIFI Jeff,

I am the proud owner of 2 week old Pendragons.
I am currently replacing a 5.1 system with 2.0 and am trying to decide on a tube amp (which will be my first) and have tentatively decided on the Rachael.

I question 6 watts being enough or should I invest an extra 1k for the Toriii jr.

I have also considered bringing 2 SE84's, but having to adjust 2 separate volume controls all the time is kind of a deal breaker.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo Sonica / Neotech (AC) / Torii MKlV with type ll beeswax caps / Analysis Plus black oval 9, solo crystal oval, digital crystal / Tekton Pendragon / Dedicated 10-2 w/ground circuit, PSAudio Power Port Classic HG outlet / Dual Rel Acoustic S/812
  IP Logged
LeftyEric
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/26/17 at 21:24:42

Hi Ginny,

Here's my experience: I have the SE84UFO paired with Tekton Lore 2.0's. I've had this pair for about 5 months now and it's plenty loud in our small-to-average sized living room (perhaps 10' wide and 15' long).  I typically listen at about 9 o'clock, and could carry on a louder spoken conversation.  At 12 o'clock it gets hard to have/hear a conversation whatsoever,  and at 3-4 o'clock it puts me back in my chair. There's no need for me to go louder than 3 o'clock - it's as loud as i'd ever go regardless of wattage, and I do like it loud.  (I'm using an airport express and Schiit Modi 2 uber dac).  

So for me - it's plenty loud enough and I do like it loud sometimes!

As an aside, this combo of amp, speakers, dac and streaming Tidal music to the airport express is just an incredible price to quality ratio.  Man, i'm always happy soaking in the music!

-Eric

Tekton Perfect SET, SE84UFO3 Monos (poly bypass mod), Denafrips Ares ii DAC, Parasound ZPhono XRM, Nagaoka MP-110 on UTurn.
  IP Logged
ginny

Reply #7 - 09/30/17 at 23:40:10

Eric,
I have decided on the Oppo sonica DAC. Since the SE84UFO has no volume control, would it be possible to control the volume with the sonica?

Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo Sonica / Neotech (AC) / Torii MKlV with type ll beeswax caps / Analysis Plus black oval 9, solo crystal oval, digital crystal / Tekton Pendragon / Dedicated 10-2 w/ground circuit, PSAudio Power Port Classic HG outlet / Dual Rel Acoustic S/812
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 10/01/17 at 00:03:10

Is your SE84 UFO different from stock? The stock has a volume control. From the amp's Decware site page:

The amp features a pair of inputs that are selected via a silver contact toggle switch located at the front.  There is also a volume control on the front that can be used for volume when running direct with no preamp, or can be used as a gain control when being run with a preamp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ginny

Reply #9 - 10/01/17 at 03:39:09

Lon,
I'm sorry, I meant to ask since the SE84 UFO has no volume control "remote" can I control the volume of the SE84 via the sonica?

And since I have your ear, what is your opinion on this potential setup of Oppo sonica, Oppo UDP-203, SE84UFO and Tekton Pendragons?

Wife and I are classic rock fans and will soon have a tidal subscription for streamin, and would this setup be sufficient for 2.0 DVD?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 10/01/17 at 12:19:59

Ah I see. I honestly haven't heard any Oppo components besides headphones for five years, so I don't actually have an educated opinion on the lineup you are suggesting. My guess is that it will yield great sound for your purposes.

Looking at the Sonica literature I saw this below, which seems to mean that you can adjust the volume output of the DAC so yes seems you can use it to control the volume of the Zen amp:

Easy Connection with Source Components and Amplifiers
Sonica DAC provides both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended outputs, and the outputs can be set to volume-controlled or bypass, making it suitable for connecting to either pre-amps or power amplifiers. 12V trigger input and output make it possible to turn on and off the entire audio system with one click. In addition to the USB DAC input and network streaming, Sonica DAC also offers coaxial and optical digital inputs for additional digital audio sources.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ginny

Reply #11 - 10/01/17 at 21:12:22

Thanks Lon,
Having read a decent amount on the SE84UFO, my current plan is to purchase the sonica next month when funds are there, then purchase 1 SE84UFO at tax time.

With a room size of 13' x 19' (hallway on one corner and op corner open to kitchen) I will see if 1 SE84UFO will provide enough power to fill the space, and if not, purchase another SE84UFO at a later date. My only concern is the sonica being able to control the volume of 2 (bi-amped) SE84UFO's.

I currently have a loaner Jolida JD1501rc from a good friend since my 25yr old  Nakamichi av10 stroked out 2 days after we received our Pendragons.
With this current setup, the Pendragons (although in break in mode) with about 50-60 hrs, are producing terrific bass, but the mids and highs are considerably harsh.

I am using Mogami 3082 speaker cable recommended by Eric Alexander at Tekton and a loaner Fiio x3 music player which I hope is the culprit of the harshness.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 10/01/17 at 22:13:14

I think that the harshness may be insufficient "break in" time. Most speakers I have owned have needed several hundred hours plus to truly show their best nature. That harshness should be diminishing as you go along.

I don't see that it matters to the Sonica if you have one stereo amp or two stereo amps: it will send the same signal out from it to the amps, it isn't influenced by the amplifier it is feeding in that situation. . . .

My guess, not being familiar with these speakers I can only guess, one UFO amp will probably give you what you want.

IP Logged
LeftyEric
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 10/03/17 at 02:12:56

My Tektons, and again a more modest pair, came out of the box with great bass. The mid and highs did mellow out after 50-150 hours. It was gradual but, the best way I can put it - is that they got more mellow and natural. Now they are super smooth.

I think you’d be surprised how loud the se84ufo will be when more than half way up. Still dead quiet.

It seems to gain steam past half way - with excellent bass control. Shockingly great bass control actually, that doesn’t weaken with volume. It’s kind of mind boggling with such little wattage. I now drink the Koolaid.

Tekton Perfect SET, SE84UFO3 Monos (poly bypass mod), Denafrips Ares ii DAC, Parasound ZPhono XRM, Nagaoka MP-110 on UTurn.
  IP Logged
ginny

Reply #14 - 10/03/17 at 11:40:04

Lon,
One of the best things about this site is people like you and others with audiophile knowledge that are willing to help and share your knowledge with those of us who in my case are just learning about the tube world.
-Thank You-

Eric,
I am torn between going all in on one SE84UFO which guys like you and others have said would be sufficient to drive 95db Tekton Pendragons in a 13x19 room (open on two corners) or waiting a year for monoblock SE84UFO3's.

Lon,
Just out of curiosity, how would I wire one output from the Oppo sonica to the inputs of monoblock SE84UFO3's?
And is there any doubt monoblocks would be sufficient power?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 10/03/17 at 11:55:55

The mono blocks will have an RCA connection for an input just as the SE84 UFO does, you'll take one of the RCA outs from the DAC and connect it to the RCA in on the mono block with an RCA interconnect. . . . Simple enough, nothing complicated

IP Logged
ginny

Reply #16 - 10/03/17 at 16:06:34

Lon,
Please forgive me if I seem slow to catch on.
The sonica has 1 rca L-R output that will need to feed 2 monoblock L-R inputs... will I need a splitter so the sonica's rca L-R output splits and feeds both monoblock L-R inputs...

or does the sonica rca out L go to the left monoblock input and the sonica rca out R go to the right monoblock input?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 10/03/17 at 16:58:59

As there is only one channel, there's only one input needed from the DAC for each output on the DAC, so yes, the left on the DAC goes to one mono block, and the right on the DAC goes to the other. No splitter and extra cabling needed.

IP Logged
ginny

Reply #18 - 10/03/17 at 22:26:35

The total output from 2 SE84UFO3 MB's is 2.7 watts.
The total output from the SE84UFO is 2.3 watts.

I read this on the SE84UFO page:

MONOBLOCKS
Worried about 2 huger than life SET watts not being enough power?

The SE84UFO employs a unique floating output transformer scheme where the negative speaker wire is not tied to chassis ground. That means when the amp is bridged, both channels may either be series or parallel wired. In series, both channels work as one and transparency is preserved.

So with no sonic drawbacks to running the amps in mono, you can expect 6 dB of additional power rather then the expected 3dB. This is thanks to the power increase the amp has when it sees half the speaker load from being series bridged.

My question is, has anyone wired 2 SE84UFO's in series? If so what were the results?? Was there any loss of the excellent transparency I have read about when only running 1 SE84UFO vs 2 in series. And with 2 wired in series, would that result in enough added power to fill a 13x20 room (open on 2 corners) with say 90db at 2 meters with a little head room to spare?

Ok I lied, 4 questions...

IP Logged
LeftyEric
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 10/05/17 at 01:55:48

Again just one man talking here, but if you check out the classified section you’ll see that you can sell a SE84UFO for extremely close to what you’ll pay for it. I waited 10 weeks for mine and I think there’s a demand for folks to buy it ASAP with no wait.  The resell is awesome.

I mention this because if you do decide to give it a shot and you find it’s just a little too quiet (I think that’s unlikely but totally possible) you can easily sell it and just take a small hit. To me - it’s worth the chance and losing a hundred or two tops versus waiting for the monos.  But I’m pretty impatient.

IP Logged
ginny

Reply #20 - 10/07/17 at 19:07:20

Well, after talking to wife about the power issue, she is cool going the route of the Torii jr. at tax time 👍
Any Torii jr / Tekton Pendragon owners out there that can tell me what to look forward to?

Source will be an Oppo Sonica DAC for streaming Tidal. I also plan to have the sonica modded at some point.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 10/07/17 at 19:44:23

Congrats! Should sound great.

IP Logged
ginny

Reply #22 - 10/07/17 at 20:21:19

Thanks Lon.

I checked the amplifier waiting list and it seems there are only 54
Torii jr’s in circulation. I thought there would have been more.

I also saw that you have a zbit on order and it’s currently in qc. 👍

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 10/07/17 at 20:44:00

Yes! I have one in use now but want to have two stereo outputs so I can feed both my Torii and my Taboo and not have to connect and disconnect as I do now. I couldn't bear mine being sent in and out of the system for weeks for a mod, so I ordered a new one, and will probably use the original in my second system. Should have it in a week or so (it's been in quality control a week).

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Re: SE84 UFO mated to T ekton Pendragons
Reply #24 - 10/07/17 at 22:01:54

I have a Jr. and used to have Pendragons with it.
You are in for a treat, this set up will be very dynamic and, at least for me, louder than you would use safely if wanted.
What do you listen to mostly.

IP Logged
ginny

Reply #25 - 10/07/17 at 23:50:47

That is nice to hear...
We listen to classic rock and blues mostly. Wife occasionally listens to contemporary Christian music during the day. We also LOVE to listen to movie soundtracks.

I have to be honest, since getting the Pendragons 3-4 wks ago and hearing new life in EVERYTHING we have listened to, we have opened up to music that we really never had an interest in. We’ve never heard Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel sound so good. I can’t get over how good the bass is on the
Pendragons.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 10/08/17 at 01:24:34

Quote:
Well, after talking to wife about the power issue, she is cool going the route of the Torii jr. at tax time

Have you checked the Classified?  Just a few days ago there was mention of a Tori Jr reduced to $2K.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
ginny

Reply #27 - 10/08/17 at 15:12:21

I DID see that. If I had 2k in hand it would be in route to my house.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print