04/18/24 at 19:07:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pioneer PLX 1000 (Read 5846 times)
Barnharty
Ex Member

Pioneer PLX 1000
02/03/17 at 00:35:56

Anyone have any thoughts on this table? I've read some great things from stereophile and Steve Guttenberg and others, but the audio karna and Steve Hoffman people seem to either love it or despise it.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Pioneer PLX 1000
Reply #1 - 02/03/17 at 02:03:05

I don't know how the Pioneer compares to the original Technics 1200 but I have a MKII in the later that KAB did his magic on and I wouldn't trade it for anything but possibly the new 1200G -- but I'm not even sure about that since I'd need to add a few things like an outboard power supply, tonearm damping and a strobe cut-off.

Read some of Kevin's (KAB) take on TTs and you might see why the Technics (Pioneer?) has a lot of fans.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/03/17 at 02:23:12

Can you still order a modded Technics from KAB?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/03/17 at 16:27:40

When I got mine in 2007 he was selling new models that he would modify.  Once Technics discontinued the tables, Kevin required that you provide the table.  This shouldn't be too difficult since millions were made and are readily available used.  Kevin can refurbish them too.  Best would be to contact him.  He's very available via email and telephone.  You will get quite an education talking to him.  His ideas don't necessarily dovetail with the "Decware mentality" of less is more but he is expert at what he knows and does.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/17 at 02:44:50

I had a Goldring, a Rega at one point. They were a pain in the ass to use. If it isn't their belts its something else. I eventually obtained a KAB Modified Technics over at Audiogon. Now it is easy to play records. No picking up a disc from a spinning platter and all the other little idiosyncrasies involved in using a belt driven table. I have an outboard power supply, tonearm damper and strobe defeater. I have a Shure V15 cart.  

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/17 at 13:39:55

Riv, I don't know why but after getting home way past my bedtime, I checked the new posts here...and saw this thread.  Interested, I read it.  In the late 70's I replaced a belt drive Pioneer TT with a Pioneer PL-540 Direct Drive semi automatic TT.  I had nothing to compare it to but it always performed great.  The Cart is some kind of Audio Technica.  I still have it and was using it a few years ago when I began my journey back to Hi Fi and Vinyl with a Decware purchase.  It is in perfect condition and I plan to use it in my second system with those 2008 Zen Signature Monoblocks you'd like to pry from my hands ...haha.  It is this pair once owned by Mike B of Seattle.  He had Steve do the CCK mod then later had new resistors and Jupiter Bees Wax caps installed.  They are wonderful. I'm sure the new ones are just as good or better. https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1359836217

Anyway, I digress, Riv, how did you decide on the Shure V15 Cart.  At some point I'll need a new one but don't want to break the bank. It's in the second system after all.  A Rega RP6 with an Exact II cart is in my main system.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-540.shtml

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/17 at 14:39:27

I have a friend who is an audiophile, and music lover, strictly solid state. I could describe him as Al Frankenesque. He would buy an LP because it's an LP. He has a room in his house with walls of LPs, then stands full of discs. He is always buying and selling music. He went through a period where he was buying and selling equipment like some one changes underwear. I bought a lot from him over the years, including tables.  I would always change cartridges for him because he was not skilled enough to do it. We used to use the Shure stylus force gauge and a Geodisc to align the cartridge on the arm. He had a bag of cartridges and small stuff in which he had the Shure V15. I talked him out of it and have not looked back.  

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/17 at 15:06:04

Well, sounds like I have to do some research.  Thanks, Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print