Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:16:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Subwoofer Suggestions (Read 11228 times)
RJR
Seasoned Member

Subwoofer Suggestions
01/29/17 at 13:27:38

I need some recommendations in order to integrate a better subwoofer into my system.  I currently have a Torii MK3, CSP2+ and a Def Tech Supercube 3 as well as Zu Audio Omen Def Mk1B speakers.  I am limited to using high level (speaker level) inputs instead of low/line level inputs into the sub.  I have had issues with the pre amp on the Supercube and, I believe, I have replaced it 4 times.  So I am interested in a SVS SB13 Ultra, yet it does not have speaker level inputs.

There is a mono output on the CSP2+.  Several months ago I asked Steve if this would work with my sub and he suggested using the speaker level inputs as the mono output won’t work???  I don’t know if I have options with my CSP2+ and/or with my current set up, yet suggestions are very much appreciated.

Also, I am a bit of a bass junky and enjoy the added weight that the sub provides to the Omen Defs.

Thanks  

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Re: Subwoofer Suggestions
Reply #1 - 01/29/17 at 14:04:27

Check out the Vandersteen subs. They sounded pretty damn good, you can run two of them for added weight. (PSA: I am not a subwoofer fan, I like tight clean bass -- I know some subs can integrate well, but I have always had trouble being happy with the sound).

Here is the link to the Vandersteen Subs: http://vandersteen.com/products/model-2w-series-subwoofers

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/17 at 14:25:55

2 (or more) subs are better than 1, even if they are a smaller model.

Hsu ULS-15
SVS SB-1000
REL

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543ADP12/Russound-ADP-1-2-Speaker-level-to-Line-le...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/17 at 15:37:11

i've always had good luck with svs and they have great customer support.
when looking for a sub for my mg1.6's i started with a sb1000 and wasn't real happy with it in my setup.  on the recommendation of svs they thought the sb2000 would work much better, and it did.  it's small, quick, and integrates well with every speaker i've had thru my basement so far.

you can get a return/open box and save a little cash.  i've done this twice with svs and the subs they send are in perfect condition.  they'll state if otherwise.

if not svs i'd prob go REL route.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/29/17 at 18:09:41

RJR, this question has come up before, do a search.  I have an earlier version of the below Omega Sub Woofer.  It allows adjustment of gain as well as what frequencies you want to use it for.  Louis, the builder, recommends the speaker level connections and that's what I use.  Integrates easily and can be adjusted if you desire for different types of music.  Very flexible.  I have one but two in a larger room might be great. Check out the reviews and comments here and at audio circle.  Mark.

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/deepomega8.html

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/29/17 at 19:39:53

mark is that a dayton 250wpc plate amp on those omega's?
i've been meaning to buy one for my homemade passive sub.
sounds like you like it huh.

yeah i like the speaker level inputs better too.  

sb2000 doesn't have these.  that's the only thing i don't like about it.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/29/17 at 22:26:56

I've used various subwoofers for many years.  Some of them did a great job but it is my opinion that the best subwoofer is no subwoofer at all.  I suggest full range towers.  That's my 2 cents.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 01/29/17 at 22:49:50

Decware is to fast and real for Subs.

So, I figured out the best room size for my ZMA and the Adagio Transmission Lines are King.  You will figure it out if you stick with Decware.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #8 - 01/31/17 at 01:33:11

A bit more information about your system may yield different suggestions such as is your room a dedicated listening room or multi purpose family room, acoustically treated (important) etc. Anyway here are some suggestions I think are relevant either way.

Use speaker level inputs on your sub. Use as high or as best as you are able a quality of speaker wire to your sub (s) as you have to your mains.

I feel a forward firing sub is better than a down firing one. If you like clear precise tight bass why project that into the floor. Unless your mains are facing the floor as well? I think forward firing sub (s) allow you to use a lower volume level to avoid booming and keep the sound clearer and balanced.

Avoid corner or wall placement.

Adding a sub may allow you more freedom in placement of your mains to optimize imaging without worrying about losing bass as your sub (s) will supplement your lower end.

Don't go cheap on the sub (s) you will be disappointed. Based on the cost of your mains I would say a 2k or better sub may be a good consideration. If it comes down to 2 cheap subs or one good quality I suggest one of good quality.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/31/17 at 14:29:03

I run subs with my setup, but my setup is a little different and I will give you my $0.02.
I don't care for plate amps. Had way too many issues with them. I like to run a dedicated sub amp. This could be one of those sub amps with the crossover controls on them or just an amp you have laying around. With a basic amp you will need something to control the lower frequencies just going to the sub amp. I use a Paradigm sub box, which you can find used every once in a while. Not sure whey they don't make it anymore. Its a great little box.
The best subs I have heard and have are the Decware WO32's. You have to build them or have them build for you. They are a harder build because of all the angles, but these subs are so fast they will blend with any speaker you have. I use them with my Fostex back loaded horns. They hit hard and go deep. They also double as a stand for monitor speakers or you can just sit them next to your towers. I have two WO32s for true stereo. Then on my CSP2 preamp I have two outputs, Steve added the second one. One goes to the speaker amp and the other goes to the sub amp. My sub amp is an older Adcom 545. It puts out 100 wpc. I have them adjusted just to add that lower note but on those days when I want a little extra bass I can turn them up and have windows rattling and stuff falling off the walls. These subs are great.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/31/17 at 14:53:27

WO32s are nice.  I had a pair that I sold for dirt cheap.  Truth is, they are REALLY, REALLY large.  They take up lots of space.  They weigh a ton.  So, if space is a requirement, then good luck.

My 2 cents, again....for music, get full range towers.  That's the best.  However, if you have HT then I think subwoofers do add extra grunt to the movie.

So, there you go.  Lots of opinions.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #11 - 02/01/17 at 06:55:18

I have an older Velodyne dual firing powered sub.  While not exactly considered audiophile, they have always had a solid reputation.  Mine has the 10" front, and 12" down firing with line level and RCA connections, high/low pass filter, phase in/out switch, and fully adjusted volume and crossover.  Back 15 years ago, I ran me like $1400.

I mainly used it to only hit the really low frequencies, and never ran it past 3 or 4 on the volume level.  I have to say that it is truly a beast.

I agree with Jeff1.... The front firing is better for audiophile listening.  But...If you plan to use the sub in a home theater setup, the down firing is what will give you feeling of a powerful explosion, gun firing, and room shaking experience.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/01/17 at 11:32:05

RJR...I have a REL S5 sub in my system.  It integrates seamlessly using the speaker level inputs.  Using the speaker level inputs, the sub takes on the character of the main amplifier, making it easier to blend with the mains.  

I have gotten this sub to integrate well with Decware MG944's, ERRx's and Zu Audio Omen Defs.  Basically, every speaker I have had in my listening room.  

I only have one sub, but there is a lot of information online about the benefits of multiple subs to achieve even bass response in your room.

The REL doesn't call any attention to itself, period.   But it does serve its purpose of providing a solid bass foundation.  That said, I don't think the REL is the right sub if you are a bass head.    

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/01/17 at 14:25:32

I had a small Rel Strata II a long time ago.   It was a great sub; probably the best sub I've ever had.  But, Rel is not cheap.

IP Logged
RJR
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/01/17 at 23:10:18

I appreciate everyone's input.  I have my eyes on an older Rel T9 for a reasonable price that won't break the bank.  Worse case is I cannot get it to blend or work properly.

BTW  It is hard to stop thinking of upgrading or adding components.  This hobby is too addictive.  Period.  Thank goodness I am in it.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/02/17 at 02:06:43

RJR...a little experimentation with placement (and crossover/volume) and I have no doubt you'll get the REL to blend seamlessly.  REL has a placement guide, but IMO they are suggestions, not rules.  I ended up with the sub on the outside and slightly behind one of the mains.  

Your ears will tell you if something isn't right.  Better yet, they will let you know when it is.  

Have fun and let us know how the sub works out for you.

IP Logged
rlj
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 02/02/17 at 02:22:57

I like JL Audio e112 and use a pair along with their active crossover.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print