Send Topic Print
TABOO MK4 is HERE! (Read 35615 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

TABOO MK4 is HERE!
01/25/17 at 03:59:10

I have taken the Taboo design to a higher level of refinement and operation by basically re-designing lucid mode, and changing the entire chassis layout. Bottom line, this is a better sounding Taboo and it's far easier to use.

The original lucid mode that was on a switch, had to be ON in order to use 1/4" headphone jacks otherwise you would drop the ground on one of the two channels. This was because a Taboo has no real ground reference in it's output stage design, instead it uses a virtual ground which floats above real ground. If you just went into Charlie Brown mode and all you head there was "bla bla bla" I apologize
and this is the reason for the redesign... to have something that needs no explanation whatsoever to operate.

One of the best features of the Taboo MK3 and UFO, was "New lucid mode" which can take recordings to a place where not even the mastering engineers were aware it could go. It was by far the coolest thing I've ever invented and since it had to be tuned to the headphone impedance we set it to 50 ohms meaning if your headphones were higher or lower than that, this cool new feature would not work properly and therefor be unusable. In addition, the feature is recording dependent, so while it has a positive effect on 2/3rds of your music collection, it will wreck the other 1/3rd. So, between these two things the greatest feature of the Taboo has gone largely undiscovered by most.

Lucid Mode is now a simple switch, ON or OFF and a level control which determines the effect. New lucid mode is seamlessly integrated into the mix all you do is turn one knob until you like the sound. With this design change, Lucid mode will likely be used by 95% of people 95% of the time which is as intended.

No longer are there going to be 4 headphone jacks on a Taboo. Now we have only one, and it is a 4 pin XLR jack, and that is the ONLY option. To use a taboo, your headphones must be equipped with this kind of cable.

No longer are there input level controls next to each input jack. In the past these went largely unused, and if they were used it was to adjust balance between channels. Now we have DUAL volume controls, one for each channel so that you can make fine channel balance adjustments. We feel STRONGLY that this is the best way to control level on a reference headphone rig, which this is. If you feel anxiety about using two controls, rest easy it's a wonderful experience compared to a single control... BY FAR.

Also, there will be no stepped attenuated options, even though we would likely sell a TON of them, the steps defeat the infinite adjustability that is so important with headphone listening, and in this case would also make it impossible to make fine balance adjustments defeating the purpose of having dual volumes in the first place.

The HI-LO option that has been so popular in the MK3 and UFO is now standard and on a switch right next to headphone jack with all the other controls where you can easily visit it.

The amp is still a kick ass speaker amplifier and drives a pair of efficient speakers with all magic you would expect from any Decware amp.  Unique is the fact that it is and has always been a single ended pentode amplifier giving it a touch better extension on both ends and more speed.

We are using the new UFO transformers in it and the tube compliment remains unchanged.

As far as options, the only one I can think of is the coupling caps, i.e.. beeswax or copper beeswax, both of course are cryo treated.  The wood base, knobs, and the caps are the only options on the new taboo.  Oh, and yes I almost forgot, there is now an option for XLR transformer balanced inputs.

Price is being set as we update the web page starting next week.

Everyone with Taboo's on order is being contacted when their amps are started to find out which model they would prefer. Those individuals will not pay more should the price of the new amp be higher since they already have budgeted for what they had on order.

Steve

In summary, the most exiting part of this re-design is that Lucid modes will work across all headphones and loudspeakers for that matter, is fully adjustable and has a bypass switch so you can A/B the effect.  

Having the full output of Balanced XLR driving the taboo with it's 4 to 10 volts, will negate the need for a preamp to achieve best sound.  That alone can be a real game changer to your budget.

The device is so simple to use, no directions or even labels are required to understand it within minutes.

I have been developing a re-mastering process based on the taboo's lucid mode design for the past 4 years, and making it adjustable was the key that made it finally work.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: TABOO MK4 is HERE!
Reply #1 - 01/25/17 at 16:53:13

Steve,
Is this adjustable New Lucid Mode able to be added/retrofitted to my Taboo MKIII?  I am ok with all of the other features on my MKIII, but like you just mentioned, it is often un-utilized.  It generally does not jive well with my headphones as it is currently set.  I would love the option to be able to adjust it and make it work when it normally would not.

Jeff

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 01/26/17 at 02:53:01

Haven't gotten that far yet, but I think so.  Probably one of the rear headphone jacks could be removed and replaced with the control.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #3 - 01/26/17 at 04:47:17

Yeah, I know I jumped the gun a bit but that is the only feature on my Taboo that I don't use, but the one I was (and still am) most excited about. Although I have not gotten it to "work" for me, I absolutely see the potential in how it - without a shred of a doubt - influences the sound.  

I know you have your hands full rolling this thing out, but when you are able to come up for some air, I would love the opportunity to send this puppy back for this feature upgrade.  

Jeff

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
amw1011
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/26/17 at 13:44:07

Seems very interesting. It was recently recommended that I look into the Taboo, so I guess my timing is right.  I admit, my technical knowledge is poor so I may be asking a silly question.  Does this new design work with headphones greater than or lesser than 50 ohm?  The new 300 ohm ZMFs come to mind as a pairing.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 01/26/17 at 15:43:53

The Taboo works beautifully with ZMF's.  I have the Ori's which is Zach's planar version and subsequently, the hardest to drive in the ZMF lineup.  The Taboo does it effortlessly.

IP Logged
amw1011
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/26/17 at 19:22:32

My question is more about the "since it had to be tuned to the headphone impedance we set it to 50 ohms meaning if your headphones were higher or lower than that, this cool new feature would not work properly and therefor be unusable" Statement.  I was wondering if that still holds true with the MK4, since the new ZMFs are 300 ohm.

Zach is the one who recommended that I look into the Taboo originally so I have no doubt it matches well with his planar lineup.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #7 - 01/26/17 at 19:31:07

I see.  Well in general, regardless of any mode switch, my ZMF's sound amazing on the Taboo.

As far as the New Lucid Mode on the MKIII, I can say it does not work well with my ZMF Ori's.  Not sure if this would be different with his new Eikon or Atticus models since those our house-made proprietary drivers and therefore, my observations have no relevance.    

Steve will have to chime in as to what the adjustable range of this New Lucid Mode is to see how the 300 ohm ZMF's fit in.  Im curious myself.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 01/27/17 at 00:02:21

The Taboo Mk IV's lucid mode works with all headphones.  It is infinitely adjustable.  The difference between a 50 ohm phone and a 300 ohm phone is simply that the you would turn the control up MUCH LESS for the same effect on the 300 ohm phone vs. the 50 ohm phone.

WWW   IP Logged
davestamper
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 01/31/17 at 05:21:34

Received my Mk4 tonight.  Can't wait to play with it.  Steve, you mention the Mk4 has a switch to turn on Lucid mode, a switch to by-pass and a hi-lo switch. What does the fourth switch do?

I must admit I have not turned it on yet.  I am out of town until Thursday
so the wife took a picture and sent it to me. It is killing me!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 01/31/17 at 13:37:20

If the new model still has two inputs, perhaps the fourth switch is to toggle between them.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 02/01/17 at 05:23:10

The switches for input selection are located directly in front of the input jacks.  One switch for each channel.

The lucid mode switch is on the right of the headphone jack.  It is the lucid mode bypass switch that you can use to A/B lucid mode which is essential to getting the variable control set right.

The switch to the left of the headphone jack is the HI / LO switch.

The two volume controls are each located under the bias meter for that channel.

And apparently I forgot to install the front screw Sad

WWW   IP Logged
davestamper
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 02/03/17 at 03:26:42

I listened to my MKIV for the first time today.  It is a stunning piece of equipment.  Not just beautiful with the feel of quality workmanship but sonically gorgeous.  

First listen was with ZMF Ori headphones and AK380 as the source. The new knob for adjusting the Lucid effect was easy to adjust.  Using the Lucid on/off switch to A/B shows a dramatic affect on the sound.  The dual volume adjustment is something I suddenly can't live without.  My old ears appreciate the fine adjustments I can make.  

I am not qualified to describe the sound presentation in terms that the audiophile wants to hear.  All I can say is the MKIV sounds better than any of my other equipment.  I own Ray Samuels Raptor, Red Wine Audio Audeze edition and other headphone amps. With Lucid off the sound is similar to the Red Wine Audio setup which is wonderful.  When I turn on the Lucid mode I feel as if I've moved from the front row to onstage. I hear everything in the recording.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #13 - 02/03/17 at 03:33:03

Steve,
When can I send mine in? Smiley

IP Logged
chengdigger
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 03/02/17 at 18:34:30

Sweet Christmas! I finally unboxed and fired up my Taboo MK4 - SN #3.

Gorgeous build. It took me a bit to figure out all the switches (and how to select the XLR inputs).

Yesterday, I was running a Cavalli liquid carbon and schiit mjolinir 2 at the same spot. The current source is a balanced schiit gunginir multibit dac. I went to Taboo for different sound and to be able to run a pair of omega desktop speakers at my desk.

At the moment, I'm using a pair of mrspeakers Ether Flows. They are the cans I've been using the past couple weeks. I also have the closed version, some ZMFs, fostex, beyerdynamic, and sennheisers I plan to run through, but for reference I want to spend the first week on the same headphones.

Lucid mode is screwing with my head. I'm grateful for the knob and bypass. The impact of the feature is indeed very dependent on source. For example, Doxy on Bags' Groove doesn't seem to benefit much from the technology.  Gregory Porter and Allen Toussaint had some cool results. My 20 minute impression is that naked, clean, well-produced tracks are really fun with this. On the right track, the effect seems to be like throwing on a pair of corrective lenses or using a high-quality pair of binoculars.   The rock tracks I tried didn't do much in lucid. I suspect the compressors and other engineering diminish the effect. The variability of the effect b/t tracks is so great that I can't imagine not having the adjustable feature and bypass. I'm going to have to reorient the amp to be able to 'tune' track by track.

This is an impressive amp. I look forward to getting to know it better. I'll try to update my impressions with some time.

Congrats, Steve. This kicks some ass.

IP Logged
chengdigger
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 03/07/17 at 12:46:12

I wired in my Omega desktops to the Mk4 this morning. The taboo runs them quite well. After trying a single-ended source, I'm really grateful for the extra voltage provided by the balanced inputs. It's a great option

With the headphones, I noticed the mk4 much less forgiving of marginal recordings and sources than the liquid carbon and to a lesser degree the mjolinir. As much as it brings out the good, it shines a harsh spotlight on the bad.  It seems a bit more forgiving with the loudspeakers. The lucid dial and independent volume controls are a real trip with speakers in nearfield.

I am, however, wishing for a speaker bypass switch. Being at my desktop, it's pretty inconvenient to have to mount/unmount the heavy duty spades every time I want to run speakers. I guess I could go banana plug, but a bypass switch would be nice.

IP Logged
Steve
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 03/15/17 at 02:19:53

Any updates on upgrades?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 03/29/17 at 04:08:32

Indeed...

The bypass switch would have been nice and I admit probably the biggest reason besides not having another contact in the signal path, was that I only use bananas in my world so it is just so easy to lift one... you only have to lift one.

So, I have finished the web page. I'm sure as always there's plenty of humbling typos but as anyone knows it is difficult as hell to proof read your own copy.  The same is true with amplifiers.  If you build one with an error and it doesn't work right, it can take you in some cases days to find it, whereas someone else could see it in ten minutes... happens a lot around here.

Here is the link the to the new web page for the Taboo Mk IV, and hopefully soon an owner's manual will follow.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

-Steve  

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 04/01/17 at 20:04:22

I did something reckless. I ordered the Taboo Mk IV amp. I have fallen in love with the Taboo Mk III that I bought from pale rider, and now have it in the main system and darn it. . . I know that the Mk IV will be a big step up and I took it. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it. Ah well, there's always something to sell and this will force me into selling stuff, an action I really don't like to do but should.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #19 - 04/01/17 at 21:40:29

Hey Steve,
Had a moment to think about a potential upgrade option(s) for MK III owners?  I have had my MK III for less than two years.  I do feel the UFO and adjustable New Lucid Mode option, amongst others, would improve my listening experience, but the thought of selling such a new amp to repurchase the MK IV doesn't.  If not all features are upgradeable, may still be worthwhile for some of us to choose the features that are upgradeable.  

Inquiring minds want to know...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 04/09/17 at 15:19:47

I am eager to hear the new Mk IV, but realize I have three months or so to wait!

In the meantime I have the Mk III in my main system, powered by the PS Audio P10 and an PS Audio AC-12 power cord and boy does it shine! I rolled some tubes yesterday and I've settled on a 5Y3 bottle type rectifier as clearly being the best with all the input tubes I tried, and I found a tube that I have lost track of and is either a 6N1P or a 6N23P and is not cryo'd. . . this one gives me a really accurate and dynamic sound. I'm using the Military Russian output tubes that came with the amp.

This coming week I'm going to get to know Lucid mode better, the old and the new. . . I haven't listened to these much and it's time I explored them, in advance of the new New Lucid Mode that is adjustable.

To think I was once so tired of headphone use and spent a few decades avoiding them! If I had this amp and these headphones (Audeze LCD-2, Oppo PM-1) in the past I'd have not given it up!

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/13/17 at 21:02:42

So, what is the verdict on upgradability?  Can we have our TABOO mkIII's (from 2013-2016 period) upgraded to mkIV?  Since the layout has changed, I assume this would be a bit difficult and pricy...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/17/17 at 21:10:33

Being the impatient person I am, I gave a call to Steve regarding if an  upgrade from mkIII to mkIV was possible.  Steve told me that he has not looked into this in detail as of yet, but from an ergonomic perspective it would be difficult.  I understand that the new design is more practical than the older one.  After giving it a try, he will post his findings here...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 04/29/17 at 13:40:21

I've been listening to my Taboo Mk III a LOT of late and really enjoying the listening. This is increasing my eagerness to hear the Mk IV, which would be my first experience with both the UFO transformers and the Type 2 beeswax caps.

I've found the best available tube set for the Mk III from tubes I have on hand, and in comparing the sound of the Mk III and the CSP2+ . . . well it's clear that with both headphones I have (both Magnetic Planar) the Mk III is the superior headphone amp. Both work single-ended in the CSP2+ and the Oppo PM-1s sound best single-ended in this amp, bettering the sound of the Audeze LCD-2 in this preamp, as well as sounding better single-ended via the CSP2+ than the Mk III. But both sound best in balanced form via the Mk III.

The balanced form of both headphones via the Mk III is fascinating compared to how headphones sounded to me in the past. Real space and separation of instruments, dynamic contrasts and volume differences are easily experienced. The two headphones have different presentations with the Audeze being more three dimensional by a hair and the Oppos a bit more dynamic and richer sounding. Either is a great listening experience, and either may excel with different material.

I've experimented some with the Lucid modes. . . and I've come to the conclusion that though they do create a fascinating listening experience for some material the best listening would be with the adjustable level of Lucid mode that the Mk IV provides. So I am really looking forward to that aspect of the Mk IV as well as the new transformers and caps inside.

Lately I've been using the amp and headphones to catch up on my DVR as Lucy and Fiona sleep late in the mornings on the weekends. The sound is very interesting, with all the TV sound effects bubbling about and the clear as a bell reproduction of the human voice and instruments. Yes, the DVR signal is a bit compressed, more than I'd like, but the combo of this amp and either headphone makes this more than bearable, enjoyable.

Kudos to Steve for the Mk III which I never thought I would enjoy as much as I am now, and oh my I'm ready for the Mk IV.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 04/29/17 at 14:46:33

Disc 3. Beautiful music.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #25 - 04/29/17 at 16:02:14

Hi Lon,
I listen to my MK III quite often, and mostly at night if I am up later than the wife and kids.  I am much more of a night owl and I simply do not enjoy my two channel system at an ultra-low, non-disturbing volume.  I much prefer my ZMF's and the Taboo which all me to crank it up without worrying about waking anyone up.  Plus, it just sound damn good!  Like you said, it is a very different experience and for me, working on getting my room treated, it is superior in some ways.  I use my ZMF's for music and my Ultrasone Signature Pro's for movies as they have this really cool surround sound effect that works great for HT listening.  They also sound great for music but I generally prefer the tone/timber of my ZMFs.  The Sig Pros are more detailed/technical.  

I am excited for you (and envious  ;)) that you are upgrading to the MK4.  I am really intrigued by the Lucid Mode, but just have not had any luck with it on my MK III with no adjustability.  At the end of the day, for me, the Lucid Mode is a "bell and whistle" on the amp and I still adore the MK III for what it is, an amazing headphone amp.  I am sure with the UFO it is even that much better.  I am still hoping Steve can figure out a way to upgrade my MKIII.  

At least you have your MK III while your 4 is being built!  Keep enjoying in the meantime.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 04/29/17 at 17:11:14

I promise to keep enjoying it! I hope that he can manage an update for you. I'm hoping to keep the Mk III and use it upstairs (infrequently) as the centerpiece of a second system. Like you, there are times I can listen via headphones rather than wake the others (or can let Lucy watch her endless HGTV shows without me!) I've never heard headphone playback that is better!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 05/07/17 at 01:36:56

Continuing to experiment with the Taboo Mk III and tube rolling, and Lucid and New Lucid Modes. . . . During this long wait for the Mk IV I have to keep busy!

I discovered that the Mk III uses the 6922 type as well as the 12AT7 type at least. I like the Valvo CCa that I have with the Sovtek EL84 and TAD EL84 I have, and really like an Amperex 6122 (a 12AT7 type) with the Sovtek SV83. The latter has become my everyday listening combo. All with an old RCA bottle type 5Y3.

The 6122 has a lower gain than the regular 12AT7 and is a nice mellow tube with a darkish tinge that mates well with the speed and sunlight of the SV83. The combo works well with either my Audeze or Oppo headphones.

I'm loving headphones again. Looking forward to reading the Mk IV manual. . . "coming soon." Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 05/15/17 at 23:54:32

Over the weekend I rolled a few other input tubes and kept coming back to the Amperex 6211.* This has a nice mellow sound and allows me to get up in the upper third of the amp's output where everything is working really well.

These are not expensive so I ordered two more to put aside and use in the future. When you can get two NOS Amperex 6211 tubes for 18 dollars including postage. . . why not?

* In the post above this, which I am unable to edit, I typed "6122" but the correct tube type is 6211.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 05/21/17 at 15:16:29

Boy, I forgot how hard the wait for a product is when you're excited about the new design and possible sonic improvement. It's been seven weeks since I ordered the Mk IV! Possibly as many to go before it ships. Oh boy.

This week I played around with input tubes. I had received a pair of Sylvania 7308s that I was hoping would be great for the Torii Mk III but really haven't unseated the Amperex 7308s I have in there . . . too dry and lean. BUT they sound fantastic in the Taboo. So I've been enjoying them. And I rolled out the SV83s I have been using and rolled in the TAD EL84-STR that I have really liked in the modded Zen C amp I have. And they sound really good now in the Taboo, giving a smooth and warm contrast . . . a bit less detail, an old school tube sound in contrast to the SV83 with the Hazen Grid Mod engaged. A nice choice for some of the Redbook discs I have.

I'm telling you: sound out of the PS Audio DirectStream DAC from the single-ended output via VooDoo Cable Stradivarius Cremona interconnects into the Taboo is top-notch!

Looking forward to hopefully soon reading the manual for the Mk IV and seeing my order go into production!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #30 - 05/22/17 at 05:34:24

Lon,
It's great to see so much enthusiasm over the Taboo.  I simply adore mine! - which is being fed by my ZDSD.  I share your same enthusiasm for this beautiful headphone amplifier.  It was this amp that led me to Decware via ZMF headphones and it was my very first purchase.  It is such a pleasure to listen to and it is my go to for late night listening when the fam is asleep and I am enjoying some "me time."  

I am also eager for you to get the MK IV since it is an amp I am very interested in potentially stepping up to (or hopefully upgrading to).  It is great that you are spending so much time with the MK III and tube rolling as that is laying the best foundation possible for you to compare the new MK IV once it arrives.  

Thanks for the updates!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 05/22/17 at 12:16:39

Yes, this amp has really allowed me also to extend my listening times for both music and to catch up on those shows that Lucinda doesn't want to watch. (DVR via headphones and this amp is a great experience!)

I'm eager to hear what the UFO transformers and adjustable Lucid Mode will bring to the table!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 06/19/17 at 18:37:27

My Taboo Mk IV is on the bench. Yeah buddy, as I used to hear in Texas!

IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #33 - 06/19/17 at 20:45:08

Can you access the waiting list?  I cannot seem to get to it, just get an error regarding not having access.

My zp3 and ufo2's are in QC, ZMC1 in a box  Almost 14 weeks itching to plug them in.

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 06/19/17 at 22:25:20

I was able to access the list until bout five days ago, now it tells me that I don't have the authorization to view it. Ironically, after looking at it every day for about 12 weeks and then being closed out of viewing I got an email saying parts were pulled then the next day that  the Mk IV was on the bench.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 07/07/17 at 19:51:32

My Mk IV has shipped! It would have shipped earlier this week, but I was unsure we'd be home to receive it so I delayed it. I'll have it next week. Getting excited!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #36 - 07/08/17 at 18:23:19

Exciting indeed Lon.  I am anxious to hear what you think, being a MKIII owner myself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print