Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:47:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hana Cartridges anyone? (Read 24583 times)
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Hana Cartridges anyone?
01/23/17 at 02:02:03

Has anyone tried the Hana Low Output MC?? Impressions?? I would love ti hear about it. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: Hana Cartridges anyone?
Reply #1 - 01/23/17 at 18:04:30

Hey Chris,  A mile off your subject:
I'm thinking of going with a HOMC cart when the time dictates. But, I do not want to purchase a ZMC to make things right. Has anyone gone thru this process with good success?

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 01/24/17 at 05:27:23

I have never had a HOMC, they have all been low output. Not by choice just the way it turned out. My old NYAL Minuet in A could take LOMC straight in with plenty of gain. Let me know how it goes when the time comes. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #3 - 02/26/17 at 02:15:09

Hello Acetone,
You don't need a step-up transformer with a HOMC. It will feed directly into a MM phono stage, such as the ZP3, and supply sufficient signal to drive the phono stage to full output.

You only need a step-up such as the ZMC when feeding a LOMC into a MM phono stage.

Cheers,                          Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #4 - 02/26/17 at 14:52:15

Hello Chris.

Check out the Feb 2017 Absolute Sound issue. Andre Jennings reviews the Hana offerings, and is very highly impressed w/ all of them, but especially the SL.

Cheers,                        Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/13/17 at 01:03:07

hana sl next on my list... looks like a good one!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6 - 04/13/17 at 17:46:12

Thanks for the info crazy bill. Hana looks very good. I am interested in the S -series. But, might still go with the SL and step it up. Saving $ first.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/08/17 at 03:17:53

Anyone get around to testing the Hana HOMC with the ZP3?

Hana      EH      47 kΩ      2 mV      $475

I am really interested in getting one but don't want a SUT.

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/11/17 at 00:31:30

bumping this one up

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/22/17 at 21:58:35

Ok, I had a great chat with Steve: Hana HOMC is not going to be a good fit with the ZP3. So either LOMC + SUT or No Hana.

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #10 - 11/17/17 at 14:25:31

I ended up getting a cartridge that I have been lusting after for a long while, Dynavector D17MkIII. I is a low output mc with a dam short cantilever and a nice straight lines and allows an easier mounting. Received it a week ago Wednesday, mounted, aligned, balanced etc on last Saturday morning (while Mrs was at the farmers market). I will re-check everything this weekend but the vinyl I played last weekend and all this week was AMAZING!! I had a DV Ruby mc way back in the day but it got damaged by a inquiring 4 year who climbed the wall unit. This cart lays out all the vocal lines like I have never heard. Great tone and detail, extracts a great low mid and bass. Most of all, I have NEVER had a cart this good with our ZMC-1>ZP3>Rachael>Omegas and I have to say it is like getting all new gear. The Decware musicality X 100. More to come as the hours build. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/17/17 at 14:52:50

Chris,

Congratulations on the Dynavector D17MkIII.  I have had Dyna cartridges on my tonearm for a long time, most recently a 20X2 LO aided by the Dynavector P75MKII phono preamp.  

It should take about 100 hours for the cartridge to fully break in.  I hope your new cartridge gives you many hours of listening bliss.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #12 - 11/18/17 at 15:17:21

HK - Yes I cannot wait to rack up a lot more hours, just thankful that out of the box it sounded so good!! One of the nice things about winter in my area is that more time is spend inside listening to music with family & friends. I am really enjoying how this unravels the layers of instruments on recordings. Have a great weekend and happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/24/18 at 14:10:16

my buddy picked me up a hana sl at the chicago show couple weeks ago, for a killer deal.  currently breaking it in.  it sounds damn nice out of the box, will be interested to see how things progress after 20-50hrs!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 09/05/18 at 17:59:27

yes currently running hana sl with a parasound jc3+ (i know, i know, but the thing is very nice sounding) and they seem to be a perfect match.  i haven't touched my analog side in 6mths... that's saying something for me.

IP Logged
Analogue1
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 12/23/18 at 20:54:56

Don't own one but .... The reviews I've read comparing value to sound are very positive. It's nice to read/hear about quality audio products at a good value

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/30/19 at 19:23:25

I'm looking at a hana ML low output MC cartridge and I'm not sure what zmc to use with it. It has two different impedance levels. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/30/19 at 19:59:03

Even though I use a ZMC1 I still get confused by all of this.  However, I think the choice of ZMC depends on how much gain you need.  Most use the ZMC1 which gives 20X increase.  I use the ZMC1 with 0.35mV to 0.5mV carts and I then feed into a ZP3.

The ZMC has a dial which is used to adjust the impedance match.  You simply turn the dial with music playing and when the volume peaks, you have the correct match.

If I'm wrong on any of this hopefully someone with more technical knowledge will correct.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/30/19 at 22:10:10

The ML has a 0.4 mv/1KHz which falls the range you stated.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 01/30/19 at 23:26:30

As always, Steve is the definitive resource, but I'd say the ZMC1 is what you want.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/20/20 at 17:25:56

Just ordered a Hana ML low output cartridge! I'm receiving my ZMC1 on Thursday. This should complete my vinyl system for a while. I think it will be a significant upgrade from my Ortofon 2M blue.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/26/20 at 03:23:39

Just started listening to my Hana ML with my new ZMC1. Sounds fantastic. Played Coltrane with Monk, Rhiannon Giddens and Mark Knopfler. Fabulous!!

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #22 - 04/26/20 at 16:12:25

Bikehappy - Please keep us posted on this. I had one coil on my DV short out and after getting zero support from DV back thinking about the Hana line. Thank goodness I still have a Shinon Red MC that still works fine even though it's a million years old. Who did you order the Hana from? Easy to deal with? Thanks and happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/26/20 at 16:26:58

I bought it locally at Gig Harbor audio. Installation was complimentary. I took my tonearm off from the prime so I didn’t have to take my whole TT down. They had one in stock.

IP Logged
Leftfield
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 04/30/20 at 14:12:33

I’ve had a Hana SL Mono for a couple years. It’s a top notch cart. I find it to be very lush sounding, but without compromising soundstage. It’s good with modern mono reissues - which are not always very well mastered.

It has a high impedance at 30ohms compared to other LO cartridges. I’ve used it with an Icon Audio 1:10 SUT, Bob’s Devices 1:20, and a Miyajima ETR Mono. All paired well. By the numbers, the 1:10 is best suited. The 1:20 pinched the sound and tamed the lushness. This is because the cart only sees 3x it’s load. This sound is more analytical and better suited to well cut lps. The ETR mono is the best because it allows me to dial in between the two.

An interesting thing about the Shibata stylus. Out of laziness one day I tried it on a 10” microgroove. Usually I use a larger 1.0 or 1.2 mil needle on records that were manufactured before 1965. It tracked like a pro with no noticeable noise from the ditch. It outperformed all of my other carts except the Zero.

IP Logged
SakoAud
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 04/23/22 at 00:35:32

I have a Hana ML MC on a VPI Scout 21, being driven by a Luxman EQ-500. First time with a Hana, impressed so far...waiting to see how it improves over time.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #26 - 04/23/22 at 01:29:05

SakoAud- I must have ESPN about the vinyl thread. Ordering a Hana LOMC this weekend and I thought I would check the threads before and low and behold....I use a Decware ZMC-1 and it's been fine with all my other LO carts. We'll see what happens. Please keep us up to speed as your cart breaks in. Thanks and happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/24/22 at 17:52:49

HDR- Good news on getting a Hana.

I don't know if it's too late, but if you can spring for the extra drachmas I think the Hana ML might suit you better.

The Hana SL has a shibata stylus, which is a step up from an elliptical, but the microline of the ML is a step above that, and much closer to the microridge on the D 17DX that you are accustomed to.

Also, the SL has DCR of 30 ohms and Hana recommends a load impedance of  > 400 ohms for that cart, whereas the ZMC1 steps down the 47kohms of the phono preamp to 117 ohms (what the cartridge is facing). Cartridge makers' load recommendations are almost always based on the cart going into a MC input of the phono pre, which of course not all phono pre's have. I've seen here and there some (including a cartridge maker) say that the load requirement can be cut  to ~ 1/2 the reccomendation if going into a SUT, but that still leaves it at 200 ohms for the Hana SL, vs. the 117 ohms of the ZMC1. The ZMC1 can adjust the input impedance, but I'm almost positive it will only adjust downwards (from 117).

The Hana ML has DCR (or 'self impedance') of 8 ohms and a recommended load of  > 100 ohms, for which the 117 ohms presented by the ZMC1 is perfect. The difference in output of .4mV from the ML vs. .5mV of the SL doesn't look like much , but the latter is 25% higher. Loud percussive bursts (or the orchestra brass section blast, or bass heavy electronica) can produce cart output 3x-4x more (or greater) than the test record spec. Not a 'danger problem' at all for either the ZP3 or the CSP3, but after the 20x of the ZMC1 and 125x from the ZP3, the preamp might see a spike of 4V from the ML, 5V from the SL,  -momentarily- exceeding the 3.32V (I think) distortion-free limit of the CSP3. Of course that is with the input pad of the CSP3 wide open, so easily remedied by backing the input off a bit. *

Which is all a long winded way of saying you should get the Hana ML because you have the perfect SUT for it.

*Steve says of the CSP3: "You can shove 11 volts into it if you want" but it starts to overload beyond 3.32 volts at the input (with attenuator full open).

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #28 - 04/25/22 at 16:53:33

Edsonic-  Thank you for the detailed explanation on the signal chain differences between the ML and SL, broke that down to terms that are understandable. Due to family things this last weekend, no cartridge was ordered and it will have to wait until next weekend. What I really do like about the CSP3 is the adjustability that is has, and it seems that in this hobby the stars don't always line up perfectly but boy oh boy to they look good. Thanks again and happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print