Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:57:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This Forum as a Resource (Read 11981 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

This Forum as a Resource
01/21/17 at 13:45:43

I had a really great listening session last night and couldn't help but think about how far I have come in just a few years.

I started thinking about how this system was built and who all from this forum were primary contributors.  Not every suggestion I implemented came from this forum alone, but I really think I owe my overall “sound” to this group.  Here is as complete a list as I could assemble (“p” indicates I bought this from a member):

Room Treatments:  QRD7s, QRD13s, QRD23, etc. - Lonely Raven

REW/Measurement Mic – Lonely Raven

OB Speakers/Auggies – Randy, Maddog, Donnie, Lin, & Lonely Raven
(baffle building buddy)

Audirvana Software Settings – Will

Digital Coax – Stone of Tone (p)

Regen USB hub – Lonely Raven

807 Output tubes – Lonely Raven (p)

Input Tubes – Stone of Tone

PS Audio Power Cords – Lon

PS Audio P5 Power Regenerator/Settings – Lonely Raven / Lon (p) / Will

Rachael Amp – Everyone who spent time with me my first Decfest I attended (and some guy named “Steve”)

Torii Amp – Lon / Maddog / Will

Music – Lonely Raven/ Lon / Contributors to the “What’s Spinning” thread

So thanks everyone.  I would not have anything close to this sound without your advice, help, gear, and patience.  And to anyone out there reading this forum, the tips here are well thought out and tested by people who care about music and know good sound.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Re: This Forum as a Resource
Reply #1 - 01/21/17 at 16:08:41

It has definitely been a great resource for me also.
I am light years ahead of where I was a couple years ago, I was frustrated and getting very discouraged.
This Forum and some phone calls to the very accommodating and patient Steve and also the excellent help of Sarah and the rest of the Decware family has changed my enjoyment and appreciation of music.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 01/21/17 at 16:55:09

This forum has been a major factor in the amazing music/dvd system we have in our living room. I check it daily, post a few times a week and refer back to threads all the time. Thank you forum and Steve for all the hard work keeping this going. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/21/17 at 18:16:42

This forum has been instrumental in building my system. . . and it can also make me restless and want to change things when I'm happy with what I have. That part I don't appreciate so much! Smiley

To be honest I feel less and less involved with this forum as I'm not interested in streaming music, mobile files, computer audio, open baffle speakers, room treatment or devices to change the sound of digital to make it "better." That material takes up much of the space here and my eyes gloss over and I start skimming. But I know I'm a dinosaur and my system building need wanes more and more and it's okay that this forum has moved past me. Cheers to all the forumites!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 01/21/17 at 19:58:35

I started out just wanting something that sounded good and looked cool.
With the help of all of you fellow weirdos it has went so much further. For the life of me I hadn't ever heard of open baffle speakers, expensive DACs, or even much about tube amps.
Now 5 years later they are all a daily experience  for me.
Thanks one and all.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Skyblue
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/21/17 at 23:09:13

I agree the forum as took me to a level I never expected and all that see and hear my decware system is amazed  ;D

Colin

IP Logged
Rich

Reply #6 - 01/22/17 at 03:22:17

I'm greatful for finding Decware and this forum.  Steve, Randy and many others in this forum have been really helpful to me in putting together a system that was reasonable and that sounds amazing.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7 - 01/22/17 at 17:04:01

I love music and would rather listen to LP's, CD's, Play or listen to live music than watch TV or movies. I began my audiophile adventures right here at Decware and, as is the case with many of you, my purchasing decisions have been made based on the wealth of information in these forums. System sounds beautiful (many Wow! moments) The sound continues to improve with age ( zen se84ckc is nearly 3 yrs old). I could not have built such a great sounding system without everyone's input here! Now, if you'll excuse me I have some listening to do! Enjoy!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/22/17 at 20:11:57

Hi guys,  thought I'd poke my head in and say hi.  I still lurk and read a lot, but don't add much.  I'm done changing my system.  blissfully content with my ZMA+DM947, Torii3+HDT, and SE84CKC+Trapeziums.  I've learned so much from this forum, that anytime I talk audio with friends, I blow their minds and they end up with that blank stare from too much info.     Someday, I will start building diffusers and keep brainstorming a way to do this cheaply and with low weight, but that's for later.  I'll keep seeing what you guys do in the mean time.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/23/17 at 05:09:24

I agree with all the comments above. My systems are light-years ahead of where they were just a few years ago, and, I'm sure, also light-years ahead of where they would be if I hadn't found this forum and all of the assembled knowledge of you audio wizards. Thank you one and all.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #10 - 01/24/17 at 03:29:44

I like to think I partially influenced you into Augies and OB, Pal!  :-). Or maybe I just taught you what not to do lol

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/24/17 at 04:01:51

He lives!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #12 - 01/24/17 at 04:34:01

Yes, alive and plotting new moves in a new room.  I'm gathering courage (and spousal approval).  I will also be using the forum as a resource.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/24/17 at 11:44:00

Well you definitely opened my eyes to the way of the Augie.  Also what is possible in a zen+plate amp configuration.  And last but not least the power of positive tweaking.

You may have read that via audirvana dsd upsampling I have been able to return to Rachael while keeping my chord dac.  Really a different and much smoother sound.  Still not quite 2w zen UFO transparency but pretty close.

Combined with these offset full range drivers and some more room treatment and I am enthralled every night.

May the zen be with you in your new Sound adventure.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 01/24/17 at 16:08:41

I miss ProgRob.  :/  

We need more CDAPS members.

Most of what I've learned, I get from Steve and Bob.

When I wanted my first tube amp and went to listen to Steve's setup at his old house, I learned what 1watt could do, what diffusers could do, that high quality audio doesn't have to have high end pricing, and that DIY can do as well if not better than store bought high end gear.

Then in spending time with him, I learned to *trust myself*. Trust my ears, trust my gut, trust my first impressions, trust my subconscious body language . This was huge for me. I doubted that I could really hear like those "golden ear builders and reviewers", and in fact I found that *really* hearing is just trusting yourself (and double checking with another impartial listener LOL).

Palomino has been a big part of my growth in the past few years as well. I feel we trust each other's thoughts, theories, opinions, and work. When we met ProggRob, he was developing his system in a vacuum; he didn't have the trusted feedback that's helped Tom and I develop our systems, improve our listening skills, and grow our music collections (LOL).  I was so impressed with what Rob had done on his own, and after some thoughts from myself and Tom, his work on his system took it to a whole nother level.

From Bob I've learned precision, the beautify of simplicity in builds, and it's good to chase those "what if I tried...."  I can't say how much all of that has made me slow down, enjoy my work, an accept my mistakes as something to learn from.

Then there's all you bastards here in the forum that make me spend money on cool tubes, cables, and feets and stuffs.   Grin   Seriously though, we have some of the smartest guys (not in the business - regular joe listeners) poking their heads here in this forum, and I love that we don't get into bickering and drama like so many other forums. I think it's wonderful that we have such diverse opinions and at the end of the day it's "cool - you enjoy your thing and I'll enjoy mine".

Overall, I have to say that Steve, with all his talent and mad scientist skills couldn't have developed as far as he has without listeners, as we listeners couldn't have developed as audiophiles and music lovers as much as we have without sharing with each other.

Yeah, I think we need more get-togethers....

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #15 - 01/25/17 at 23:52:57

Yes, this forum is a great place to expose one’s self to new ideas and seek out opinions and experiences of other mostly like-minded folks…. A good thing.

I learned about OB's here first.  I had been quite happy with my Decware and full-range DIY’s for a couple of years – more content than ever before actually!  Then, always in pursuit (though not as obsessive anymore), perusing this forum and attending a Zenfest… I met RandyInCaintuck and a “new”, to me, speaker design was shared – Open Baffles.  Once again my audio foundation was shifted, just a bit.  Now I’m full-range, crossover-less, open baffle…. And tubes.  The sound has only gotten better.  Now I have two full-ranger OB’s; a DIY spin on the Hawthorne Trio and a modified set of Randy’s Betsy Baffles.

If you haven’t heard the Betsy Baffles… you should give them a listen sometime.  I know of no higher value speaker on the planet. They are not only exceptional for the $$, they are just plain old “good”.  I’m enjoying my pair right now… while I “update” my other OB’s… Does this ever end?????  

Yes this forum has led to more sonic goodness and some nice discoveries…. Some discussions on this forum have caused me to do some research on “recreating the soundstage with stereo speakers”. I think the last sonic frontier for me is room acoustics.  I think my room is actually too dead.  I recently read some research done by Siegfried Linkwitz that supports the need for controlled reflections to properly recreate the soundstage.  His research points to uniform polar frequency response as being essential to attaining “the magic”.  One major component in his equation for creating the magic, is open baffle speakers…..  
For those who might find this interesting: 
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/The_Magic/The_Magic.htm

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 02/01/17 at 16:58:22

So well put LR (and all other's).

I enjoy reading people "getting Decware" and you can do it affordably, providing you some great sound. I also have learned a lot too and can refer back to posts of others on diverse stuff.

My big Polk's and that whole fiasco I have downstairs is fun and serves its purpose. However, it is not my ZMA and gear.

I have said it before: I got lucky and the timing was right when I got my ZMA in Jan/2014 and the rest of my stuff by late 2015. I could still live with my original signature below/gear. You don't need to spend a lot......as you mentioned.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
rlj
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 02/02/17 at 02:32:37

I started with an SE84 kit almost 20 years ago. Steve's come a long way since then. (Hats off!) The forum is a great resource.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print