Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:48:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen Triode with Spatial Hologram M4's (Read 2117 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Zen Triode with Spatial Hologram M4's
01/15/17 at 05:09:22

Hi,

Has anyone paired or heard the Zen with Spatial M4's?  I would like to hear the impressions...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: Zen Triode with Spatial Hologram M4's
Reply #1 - 01/16/17 at 20:12:00

I believe no one has...  In this case, may I just change the Spatial to Zu Audio's Omen Bookshelves?  :)

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/16/17 at 20:44:41

For about a couple years, maybe more, I've been using a pair of 2 WPC monoblocks originally built in 2008 and updated a few times, with a pair of Zu Audio "Soul" speakers.  This is a very good pairing IMO.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Rich

Reply #3 - 01/17/17 at 20:39:15

I have not listened to the spatial's or the Zu's but with one being an OB design and the other a box speaker they would be quite different.

I'm currently using diy OB's with Betsy drivers.  I have also used Monitor Audio Silver's, which are enclosed and ported.  My room is quite small, 9 by 12 with a 8' ceiling.  The OB's make this room seem much larger.  They have a wider and deeper sound stage then the MA's  On the other hand the the MA's have more pin point imaging.  OB's will have less reflection from side walls because of their figure 8 radiation pattern.  They have more reflection from the front wall behind them.  They need to be pulled out about 3 feet into the room.  I use QRD defuses behind my OB's which helps even out the reflections and gives them decent imaging.

I would love to know how the Sptial's would compare to my DIY's.  they have a great return policy so I may someday order a pair to try. They have gotten very good reviews in the Audio Circle OB forum.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/18/17 at 14:57:10

Dear Mark and Rich,

Thanks for the input...  

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/17/17 at 18:23:56

Spatial just recently came up with a model called M3 TRIODE MASTER.  Assuming they announce the specs correctly (*), this looks like quite a match for our beloved low-powered Decwares!

Frequency Response:  32Hz - 22kHz  +/- 3dB in room response
Efficiency:  95dB 1W@1M 16Ω
Impedance:  16Ω average

The company has a 60-day hassle free return policy so it might be worth checking...

(*) I am not sure about the audiophile industry but in bass amplification, the specs are all over the place.  It is impossible to buy something relying solely on the specs.  That should be the case anyway, but there seems to be no common standards of publishing speaker or amp specs, but more so speaker specs.  Let alone the ethics of some manufacturers...

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
GaryAR
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/18 at 14:32:34

I'm bumping this one up... I have an amp very similar to the one pictured above (just one though not in monoblock configuration) and I was wondering if anyone had heard it with the M3 or M4 Spatial Triode Master speakers.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/17/18 at 20:18:58

Hi Gary,

When I contacted Spatial Audio, the owner (I do not recall his name at the moment) specifically mentioned that his speakers would need at least 10w/ch and the low-powered Decware's are likely to mismatch his speakers.    

The way my SE84UFO sounds with B&W DM630's at 91dB (and most probably with complex crossovers) makes me think if the amp is really 2w/ch, as it can get quite loud already...  So my gut feeling is the pairing with Spatials might work quite well.

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
GaryAR
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/18/18 at 04:02:40

Thanks for the reply, that's really helpful. I'm trying to decide between the Spatials, the Omega AlNiCo, and the Club-27 Jimi. it's a tough call, especially when I can't audition any of the speakers in person. That's the curse of the online buying era.

IP Logged
RLB
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 05/18/18 at 14:46:55

GaryAR, am curious why you are looking at the Club-27 Jimi. I read the review on 6moons.com, and Marja and Henk had their best sound from them with amps with 25W/channel, not anything like what the Decware monoblocks are able to crank out.

IP Logged
GaryAR
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/18/18 at 19:36:15

I have what is sort of the predecessor to those speakers, the Bastanis Prometheus, they're very similar in terms of design approach and they do fine with my Decware (much better in fact than any of the higher power amps I've tried with them). They're 100db/W after all. My main concern is that even after all these years the Prometheus are pretty fantastic speakers and I'm not sure that something in the $2k to $3k range would be an upgrade.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/18/18 at 19:38:27

My own experience and recommendation is to expend the money/effort/time to go where you can hear the speakers before buying unless you are willing to pay the return shipping which is required on most online purchases.

IP Logged
GaryAR
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 05/18/18 at 23:03:48

I hear you, and certainly agree 😀 however there is a used pair of Spatial Triods on audiogon and $1k off the list price would make it a whole lot less painful if I ultimately decided to resell them.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/19/18 at 02:59:27

GaryAR,

Two thoughts regarding the speakers.  First, contact the company principals and ask them for recommended amp pairings for their respective speakers.  I know the Omega speakers match particularly well with Decware amps, that's what I have.  Second, you may want to post an inquiry on the Audio Circle website.  There are a number of regular posters that have Spatial and Omega speakers.  Perhaps, if they live in your area, you can get an invite to listen to their systems.  

The very best way to buy via internet is to listen with your own ears.  Good luck.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print