Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:17:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Concrete Block speakers (Read 10920 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Concrete Block speakers
01/14/17 at 22:02:38

A guy who works for me just sent me this, I guess they would be good for "heavy" music.
http://danielballou.com/#cinder-speakers.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Concrete Block speakers
Reply #1 - 01/15/17 at 00:57:07

Sealed woofer and ported tweeter?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 01/15/17 at 01:35:44

Lin,
I thought the same thing at first. Then I noticed that the back was routed out to connect the chambers.
I really doubt that they would sound very good, but it would be a interesting project.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/15/17 at 05:08:59

A 2 chamber, dual ported alignment. Very high tech.

I saw these on another forum a while back and forgot that they are routed on the back. Embarrassed

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 01/17/17 at 06:11:59

Nifty idea, except isn't a cinder block porous?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 01/20/17 at 01:49:23

I like to see the ingenuity of what might be. There is a line somewhere when the 'clever' is not the best. Just saw a speaker using an old tire as the cabinet! Well, no, no, not a very high WAF.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 01/20/17 at 15:00:52

Low on the WAF factor and tires PING...but that's under pressure so...might not be so bad?

Honestly, it's not a big step to go from cinderblocks to casting your own concrete speakers. Back when I first started this audiophile journey, Steve's DIY speakers that I heard were built to be as stiff and dense as possible...I'm pretty sure he said double or maybe even triple layers of MDF and sand filled chambers.

If that was my goal, I'd do a TL speaker with chambers to fill with sand or lead birdshot. Imagine an El Camino speaker made entirely out of 1.5" concrete walls, then sealed with concrete sealant!?

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 01/24/17 at 00:31:26

LR,

We are of the same type of thinking. If I build practically anything, it must be beefy and inert. As I recall the first set of speakers that I ever built were corner horns and weighed around 170 apiece. Never heard bass like that since.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 01/24/17 at 03:48:51

If I had a design I really liked and knew could be improved by density,  I'd be making concrete speakers all day long.

(sigh) One can dream, right?

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 01/25/17 at 02:12:08

I know, right? I am always dreaming about products that I see in raw form wondering what they would be like. Corian for example, might be perfect for a front baffle if it is the right thickness. Then I see countertops poured either from resin or even concrete....hmmmm says I. They don't even try to help me at the local hardware store since they never know why I am asking the questions that I do. "Any idea of the resonance frequency of that copper pipe?"

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/28/22 at 14:53:44

Old thread re-hab, again.

I used to work near a place that re-did kithens and bathrooms, installed counter tops of all sorts made from all types of Corian. Going through thier dumpster was the thrill of my week, sometimes.

I made a few small speakers using either solid Corian leftovers or just the baffle or maybe just the sides. Finding scraps that matched, big enough to do anything larger than desktop speakers was not likely. But still one of my all time favorite dumpster dives! Oh, to be young, again, right?

Still an easy, fun and very inert material to work with. I even cobbled together mismatched panels and painted them once. I used metallic blue car paint, left over as well from my '70 Chevelle project.

The tweed grilles I put on them, they were beautiful!  And using the little Tangband drivers from Parts Express clearance pages, they sounded pretty good, too, deploying one of thier tiny, 'no case' 20W chip amps for another few bucks.

Working as a photographer at that time, yet I never took pics of MY stuff.  I have some lite regrets about not keeping a journal. Photography was always a hobby, but doing it for a living, even though it might be your favorite thing in most cases, seems to take something basal from the pleasures that you can never get back.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/28/22 at 15:52:09

Made my audio stack from left over Corian from a project for work. It does cut well with standard carbide blades. Really like how easy it is to get a mirror finish with fine sandpaper. It is very heavy as compared to wood. Never built any speakers with it.

Back in a day there was a guy that built concrete spheres as enclosers for one of the contests that were running at the time. I remember the sound was very good.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/01/22 at 20:38:50

I would love to hear more about your audio stack made with Corian.

Smiley

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 03/13/22 at 18:53:54

Here is my use of Corian for a DNA2 speaker build. Used for top, bottom, and lower front of the cabinet.
https://ibb.co/xLFjWVZ

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print