Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:17:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phono Stage Recommendations (Read 921 times)
Barnharty
Ex Member

Phono Stage Recommendations
01/09/17 at 06:37:35

Hello, I primarily listen to vinyl and right now I'm using a Little Bear T10 Phono preamp but for some reason it has become noisier and noisier, and I've looked up every recommendation on how to fix it, to no avail.

So, I need to get something else. I would really like to get a ZP3 but it's out of my price range right now, and it'll probably be another year before I can save up enough for it. The amplifier I'm using is a Zen Super Select.

I've heard good things about the Lounge Audio LCR and it is at a pretty decent price. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about the Lounge? Or any other phono recommendations Less than $600?

Thanks,
Brandon

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Re: Phono Stage Recommendations
Reply #1 - 01/09/17 at 10:47:00

Brandon,

We would need to know more about your setup. MM? MC? Cart?

At the end of the day, personally, I wouldn't spend $500 on a phono pre, if you're doing to be spending $1300 in 1 year on the ZP3. The ZP3 is supposed to be the holy grail of transparent phono stages (mine is on the bench right now) -- I sold my Audio Research PH-3 to upgrade.

My brother has a Music Fidelity VLPS (his version is no longer made), it is not bad.

Something like the Emotiva XPS-1 which is $130 right now.
Stepping up a bit would be the Vincent Audio PHO-8 Phono Preamp which is $300.

Have you looked at the classifieds here for a ZP3?

These are simple suggestions, I don't have personal experience with either of the two options I posted. If you provide more information on your setup we might be able to provide a little more direction.

-R

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/09/17 at 13:57:00

Hey Ron, the rest of my setup is a Rega RP3 with an Ortofon 2m Blue and Klipsch Cornwall speakers.

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/09/17 at 15:07:39

Those two that I suggested might be a good option. Pro-Ject has a nice Tube Phono Pre as well. I recommend that you find a local audio shop that has one you can try @ home.

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #4 - 01/09/17 at 17:11:09

If you are going to get the zp3 I would recommend you do what i did.
Get the Emotiva XPS-1 it is on sale right now and it is a very good sounding phono stage way above it's price point and would not hurt your bank account very much.
I was happy with this unit and used it for a couple years until I saved up and finally purchased my ZP3.

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xps-1

IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/09/17 at 19:33:41

That's 2 for the Emotiva. What cart were you using with yours? I've read good things about running a Denon 103 with it.

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/09/17 at 20:05:14

I would keep your cart, and see if that fixes your hum issues. I have run a Denon DL-110 HOMC and a Ortofon 2M Bronze. The 2M Bronze is incredible!

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/09/17 at 21:43:17

I used a cambridge audio azur 640p-s before getting my zp-3 and highly recommend it. I'm using a 2m bronze and it sounded great. Real sleeper of a phono stage.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #8 - 01/09/17 at 22:43:50

Ortofon 2m black

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/09/17 at 22:46:46

Wow that Ortofon 2M Black is nice! I thought the 2M Bronze was expensive Wink

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/10/17 at 01:16:16

With the zp3 i found the 2m blue to be very good match.  I got a black after, and couldnt justify the price delta.

So id keep that 2m blue and save $$$ for a zp3.

Ive had a bunch phono stages (ear, ar, rogue, etc...) and the zp3 is in a league of its own.  And dead quite.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/10/17 at 01:17:19

As with everything in this hobby. There is a point of diminishing returns. :-D

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/10/17 at 02:56:49

OK Brandon, this is not an audiophile product but it's what I used when i waited for the ZP3 to be built and as a back up should I need to send the ZP3 back to the mother ship.  For $50 there is almost no risk.  It did the job and performed way above it's price.  Read some reviews on Amazon and here at Sweet Water.  I think I bought it at Sweetwater....free S&H and great customer service.  Mark.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeeJayPre?adpos=1t1&creative=169712212488...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/10/17 at 06:00:36

You can find the 2m black pretty cheap on eBay. From what I've heard, the seller is completely legit.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Ortofon-2M-Black-MM-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge-incl-Stylus-/3...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print