03/29/24 at 16:22:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mono amp conversion (Read 4376 times)
mdl62
Verified Member

Mono amp conversion
01/07/17 at 01:49:10

I am very interested in trying these amps and am new to tubes.

I have Legacy Aeris speakers that are 4 ohm and 95.3 senstive.
They have internally powered woofers so any amp would only supply the mids and tweeters.  They obviously have crossovers which do require some loss of amp power.

Presently powered by an Ayre SS amp and sounds good but I think there is more out there to be had.

They are in a dedicated and treated home theater room that is 25 x 18 x 10.
I talked to Steve D. the other day and he actually suggested the Torii Jr. over the Mk.IV for this set up. He thought that either amp would be fine to drive these speakers.
It sounds like Jr. will be adequate for power but in case it does not I was wondering about the possibility of bridging the Jr. or the Mk. IV.
I think in that case power should not be a problem with either amp.
Does anyone know if these are bridgeable?

I call 3 times to try to talk to Steve and couldn't reach him.
It has not been long but was hoping that someone here might know.

I'm also considering the Mystery amp due to the balanced inputs as I might place the amp closer to the speakers and the long run XLR cables would be advantageous, as well as potentially better than the RCA inputs according to the ZMA info.

If the Torii Jr or Mk IV are not powerful enough I have other systems where I can use them.

I am soon to join the Decware fold.  I really like what i read about these but have not been able to hear the products.  I am also looking forward to getting off the audiophile search wagon for better sound.

By the way, sources include a Sony BR disc player, soon to be replaced by the new Oppo BR player.  TT is Townshend Rock 7. I use Tidal thru Control4 but need to research the digital stuff more.
The Aeris speakers are fed by a DSP/DAC called the Wavelet.

Thanks
Mike

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Mono amp conversion
Reply #1 - 01/07/17 at 02:00:36

Hi Mike,

Sorry about being unavailable this week, I've been under the weather all week and in bed for much of it.

The MKIV is not bridgeable.  The Torii Jr., probably could be bridged mono without any real issues but would not sound as good as the ZMA, and by the time you set them up for balanced inputs with a ZBIT, you would have spent about the same money.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
mdl62
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/17 at 06:09:01

Steve,
Thanks for the response.
I may try the Torii Jr and if it doesn't work in my main system it can work in a different set up. I know there is a return option too.
No apologies needed on your availability.  Sorry to hear you are under the weather.  I did reach you on my first call early in the week and you were very helpful. I was trying to get more info and since it was the weekend didnt think I'd get your expert opinion.
Thanks!

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #3 - 01/07/17 at 08:06:47

Hi Mike,
I am not sure how helpful this will be, but it may translate.  I have a Decware based 5.1 HT setup.  In front of my amps is the Ultra pre-amplifier. My center channel speaker is a Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD which has a sensitivity of 93.5.  Your Aeris speakers are more efficient at 95.4.  I originally used the Super Zen Triode (SE84UFO) - bridged - so 6 watts fed the Silverscreen.  With the added gain of the Ultra pre, it had no problem powering the Silverscreen.  

Legacy recommends 60-500 watts for the Aeris'.  They also recommend 25-250 watts for the Silverscreen, so about half as much power.  Considering 6 watts (with the added benefit of the pre-amp) easily drove my Silverscreen, I think a Torii Jr. may very well handle the Aeris speakers just fine based on the specs.  

With your dedicated theater room, you should really look into the Decware Ultra 6-channel home theater pre-amp. It is at the heart of my all-tube home theater system and now that I have it, I could never go back to a traditional SS HT setup.  It is that good!

Cheers,
Jeff

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/07/17 at 15:23:58

Mike, I saw your thread yesterday and didn't give my two cents but have decided to now. I have a Torii MK IV in my main system and a pair of 2008 Zen Triode Signature Monoblocks. 2 x 2 watts in the second system.  In the main system I use HR-1 speakers that are 4 ohm and 92.5 dB.  In the other with 2 WPC I've used Omega Alinoco speakers at 8 ohm and about 94 dB as well as Zu Audio "Soul" speakers at 8 ohm and 99 dB.  All work well with more than enough volume.  Given the size of your room though I agree that 20 WPC or more would be best.  The other option would to be to replace the speakers with ones without crossovers or modify them as Stone here has, replacing the crossovers with caps.

I highly recommend the Torii MK IV or III but they do not have the new transformers that are the "Thing" now.  I haven't heard the Torii Jr. or the ZMA but both have received rave reviews with plenty of Impressions given on this site.  I guess I'm saying any Decware Amp that gives you enough headroom will no doubt satisfy your needs.  Welcome to Decware.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mdl62
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/07/17 at 17:14:17

Jeff,
Thanks for the input.

The Torii Jr. may be the ticket.
Of course, the ZMA would would be better yet power wise.

The 6.1 preamp is intriguing but I have an 11.2 system with a Marantz AV8802 pre/pro.  For home theater, I'm fine with the SS system. I don't listen much if ever to multi-channel audio (exclusive of movies/video) so powering the center channel with the present SS amp is fine. I have the Legacy Cinema HD center speaker and it is 4 ohm with a 90 db sensitivity, so it would require more power than your Silver Screen. Right now it is bi-amped with an Ayre amp at 150 wpc. The Ayre amp is 5 channels and I got it last year.  For the money, I wish i had put that toward multiple Decware amps.  Assuming how I like the Decwared amp that I try, I may end up selling the Ayre. For the 8 surround speakers (2 sides, 2 rears, 4 ceiling Atmos) the SS power is fine.

Thanks again

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print