Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 20:34:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bought a new LP, shocked what it actually played (Read 11351 times)
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Bought a new LP, shocked what it actually played
01/06/17 at 17:49:38

So I was on vacation in Texas over the holidays and ended up purusing the Lp's in Barnes and Noble. Came across Glen Hansard a season on the line. I know I like some of Glens music but wasn't familiar with this one so I listened to a few tracks on my phone before I bought it.

Got home and spun it up and the very first track sounded like a bluesy African American singer. I thought ok, maybe Glen brought in a guest singer for parts of the album. Well I listened to all tracks front and back and they all had this deep vocal bluesy guy singing. I thought, crap I didn't keep the receipt so who knows if the local Barnes and Noble will take it back.

So I drove over to the local Barnes and Noble and explained my findings to 2 different people at the service desk. I told them something goofy must've happened with the recording or something because this isn't Glen Hansard singing. They looked at me puzzled and directed me to the back of the store to talk to the record guy. So, I went back there and explained the deal to that guy and he said "well I can't take it back because you opened it". I said "well how the heck do you think I knew this album was funky without listening to it?"  So he called the manager and after some discussions back and forth they finally agreed to give me a replacement album.

Got home and spun it up and guess what?  The same friggin deep bluesy guy was on this LP too. I told my wife this is just crazy, what's going on here?  She said "honey, did you check the speed?"  I said "of course, it's always at 33 1/3 for lp's". Well, what I didn't realize is that some of these are recorded at 45... Duh!  You'd think they would make that little 45 in the circle a bit larger for us older dudes.

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Re: Bought a new LP, shocked what it actually played
Reply #1 - 01/06/17 at 20:05:49

Wow.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/06/17 at 20:35:39

I always thought those 45 masters were doubles?  I've never tried one for two reasons.  First they require too much flipping and second they are expensive!   Cool

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/06/17 at 20:54:39

Archie, I have a lot of reissues both 45 and 33 RPM.  I would prefer 33's but the trend is toward 45's.  The sonic benefit isn't worth the extra cost IMO but I think they have figured out if 45 RPMs are the only choice they have a willing buyer.  They eventually sellout even at the higher prices.  All the reissuers have raised their prices in the past year as well.  Turning the LP every 1 or 2 songs isn't a big deal for me.  Mark.

PS...yes, reissues of existing LPs are usually doubles if 45 RPM but what Raymond got was something else.  There are also many double LPs at 33 RPM though.  You have to know what you bought  :)

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/06/17 at 21:06:30

Now that is funny. I'd be lying if I haven't listened to part of an album on the wrong speed but I love that you returned it. They will remember you there if they ever figure it out, maybe the guy in the record dept. will be able to keep it, go home, play it, and wonder what was up.
I've got a bunch of 45's most of em cuz that's what was available but they do sound delicious. I don't have any duplicate 33 and 45 albums so cannot compare sonic qualities.

JD

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #5 - 01/06/17 at 21:34:01

When I bought Supertramp "crime of the century" years ago, what I pulled out of the jacket said Ingberg humperdink, or some other such artist! (can't remember who it was) I assumed it was a joke based on the album name so gave it a spin. It was not Supertramp. Music Plus store took it right back and opened the replacement to make sure it was right. Apparently they were having this issue with other customers!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 01/07/17 at 07:08:15

Hey Rick...classic story!!   I have one just as good.  When I was in Hich School...I had bought the Quiet Riot "Metal Health" vinyl.  While recording it to tape, the needle jumped without me realizing it, on the song "Thunderbird"...which was the Randy Rhodes Tribute song.

[I always did a one off vinyl recording, put the vinyl away, and then used the tape for everyday playback].

Fast forward years later I buy albumn on CD.  I play the disc and midway though the "Thunderbird" song, I hear an entirely whole new verse that was not on my tape recording.      I totally freaked out!!  It felt like Kevin Dubrow was live in my bedroom!!  Talk about a chill running up your spine!!

Now after typing this post I had to go online and listen to the song once again.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #7 - 01/08/17 at 05:57:14

This happened to me also.
I bought a new Eurythmics album (long time ago) and thought, I know these guys can be funky but this album is really strange. Didn't realize until I listened to the whole side and was turning it over that it was a 45. Got a good laugh.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/13/17 at 12:18:15

Englebert is/was massive here....the housewives fav along with Tom Jones. Big open necked shirts,hairy chest and chains. Balads.

Massive Attack 12"ers sound spooky on 33rpm. Easily done.

Didn`t know where to put this other wierd fact. Vinyl outstripped CD`s last year in the UK ! 40% of them will not be played. Bought just for art and the tactile thingy. Uni and college students. I dont know whether to laugh, cry, or hope they start demanding AAA pressings  :)

Downloads and streaming are tops by a long way.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
s3steve

Reply #9 - 06/03/20 at 21:31:25

An old post but something similar happened to me. I bought a Marcus Miller LP that I also have a digital copy of so I know the music.
I'm thinking it must be a remixed version. Then the second song come on and it's the same. Hmmm...

It says 33 1/3 but it was supposed to be played at 45!

Ohhhh That's better!

CSP3-25
SE34I.5
Ariston RD11
PS Audio GCPH with the Underwood upgrade
Bluesound Node N130
Altec 605B's in a 620 Cabinet / JBL 2402 / Markwart 605B Time Aligned Crossover
Omega Super 3 XRS
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print