Input sockets dead (Read 7743 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Input sockets dead
01/04/17 at 02:09:28

I have a brand new ZP3 and am having issues with my input tube sockets.  At first the front 12AX7 tube blew.  The silver coating at the top of the tube turned to a white powder.  I ordered a new set of tubes and now I am getting no power to either of the input tube sockets.  I tested the new tubes on another amp and they work fine.  Also, the ZP3 is getting power as all other tubes are glowing except the two input tubes.

Any ideas?  I already emailed tech but thought I would see if anyone else has experienced a problem such as this.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Input sockets dead
Reply #1 - 01/04/17 at 21:29:46

Jeff- Sorry to hear about the headaches your having. I have never had a problem with my ZP3 so I can't be much help. I would reach out to Steve (assuming you got it from Decware) and if you didn't I would spend the money to have Decware bench it and transfer the warranty. Just my opinion bro, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 01/04/17 at 21:49:13

Thanks Chris.  Fortunately I did get it from Decware.  I got a message out to Steve so Ill see what he thinks.  Figured I would check with others just in case.  Strange it is just affecting those two inputs tubes as everything else is getting power.  We shall see...

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Denizen
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/04/17 at 23:41:27

It sounds as though the bridge rectifier for the tube heaters is fried. The tube rectifier uses a different voltage and a different transformer winding
and the VR tube is a glow tube the voltage from the tube rectifier is what lights it up. I've never seen it happen, but should be an easy fix,unfortunately it will require a trip back to the shop.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 01/07/17 at 16:11:28

Jeff / Denizen - I know it's kind of a pain in the arse, but sending back to Steve means that he/they will be going over that with a fine tooth comb. I know I would be frustrated but I also know that Steve and team view each one of these products like a child. Keep us posted on the return. Happy listening when it comes, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 01/10/17 at 00:58:02

ZP3 on its way back to the mother ship!  Thanks for the input guys.

IP Logged
back2vinyl

Reply #6 - 02/06/18 at 01:42:53

Did you get it fixed?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 02/06/18 at 02:59:12

We'll be curious to see what could cause only the two front tubes not to glow when all three are on the same supply!  

One thing that should help a lot of people who are newer to tubes and reading this post, is that any time a tube looses it's silver color and turns powdery white inside it means that the tube has lost it's gas indicating that there is a crack somewhere in the glass.  When a tube actually fails during operation it never does that, instead it just turns dark.  A common time for a tube to have a catastrophic failure (internal short) is when the glass cracks or breaks.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print