Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 05:40:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Could use some advice / opinions. (Read 3653 times)
David Wilcox
Verified Member

Could use some advice / opinions.
12/28/16 at 02:23:27

Hi Decware fans,

I could use some advice / opinions on finishing my new listening room addition. Four years ago I converted a spare bedroom into a experimental test room using much of Steves suggestions on the Decware site. For example I made the room width shorter to match recommended room dimensions.
I bought diffusers and plans from Decware,then I built more diffusers and lots of absorber panels.
When I was happy with my rooms performance I decided it was time to build a little larger permanent  room.

What I have to work with:  (No need for soundproofing.)

Room is 14' +/- wide, 17' long, 10' ceiling and concrete floor.
Ceiling is now 24" o.c. trusses,mesh covered with 12" cellulose sprayed on top of mesh. I was thinking of not sheet-rocking but covering with fabric?

Front and back 14' walls are exterior 2x6 16" o.c. insulated walls. Do I sheet-rock them or something else?
17' wall on right is all brick. ( backside of garage). I thought I'd build a 2x6 wall in front of it. Should I insulate it and sheet-rock or something else?

17' wall on left will be a 2x6 wall partition separating my share of the addition from my wife's share. Should I insulate and sheet-rock both sides to try and compensate for the brick backside on the right side.

The addition is built and the interior is all exposed so I can easily do what ever would improve the audio performance.

All advice and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

David Wilcox
Wilmington,NC  

108+TRUE+GRIT+WAY   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Could use some advice / opinions.
Reply #1 - 12/28/16 at 07:27:07

Quote:
Ceiling is now 24" o.c. trusses,mesh covered with 12" cellulose sprayed on top of mesh. I was thinking of not sheet-rocking but covering with fabric?

I can see this being problematic - having a giant absorber, without knowing what it will do. Having random treatments before you know the issues, is like taking a random medicine for a possible future illness. Basically what I'm saying is more isn't always better.

So, if you can leave that till later (i.e. do nothing with it and take measurements in the meantime), cool - otherwise just drywall and deal with the consequences.  

As for the walls, sheetrock makes the most sense. If you keep everything the same/equal, you'll have known factors and can use math to predict what issues you'll have and what you need to correct it. Knowing the final dimensions of the room gives you 90% of what you need...the rest is measurements, making corrections (sound treatment - which you've already built), and more measurements.

I suppose you could double up on the sheetrock with some Green Glue acoustic adhesive between the layers - that will make the walls less resonant in the audio spectrum - but it's not really necessary.

Steve recommends nice thick padding and quality carpet to take floor reflections out of the equation. But I've also heard hard floors sound good if diffusers and/or absorbers are used to tame that first reflection (from the floor).

I'm not sure what you mean by "compensate for the brick backside on the right side". Again, my recommendation is to make things as equal as possible, and work back from there with your absorbers and diffusers. Since it's a dedicated room, I wouldn't hold back at all - go full on room treatment and takes measurements along the way to dial it in. The goal being to diffuse as much of the first reflections as possible so your ears can hear the source perfectly, and use absorbers to try and tame low frequency nodes.

Man, I wish I had a dedicated room that large. I'd be going crazy with it!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Could use some advice / opinions.
Reply #2 - 12/28/16 at 07:32:54

Oh, just as I hit post I thought of something else you should consider, which would also make having insulation between the studs and double layer drywall make sense....

The lower you can get your ambient noise level, the more detail you'll be able to hear. So while you don't need to soundproof the room to protect other rooms from your music, you should consider how to soundproof the room from allowing outside noises in!

Which, IMHO, means no windows. Thick door, thick/heavy walls, maybe even insulation in the walls. Planning ahead with your HVAC ducting - maybe even have the vents go through a muffler to deaden the swooshing sounds and blower noise. Block and absorb as much as you can - lower ambient noise = being able to listen deeper into the music!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print