Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:37:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whats your plan for 2017? (Read 18145 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Whats your plan for 2017?
12/27/16 at 15:34:48

What do you see in store for yourself?

Okay, i'll start.  

I'm going to just let all the gear I purchased in 2016 burn in.  I'll probably get an upgraded DAC for my now over 15 year old Bel Canto 1.1, but that will probably be it for next year.

Of course, I have a plan for next year's Decware black Friday if there is one.

How about you?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Whats your plan for 2017?
Reply #1 - 12/27/16 at 17:01:29

Enjoy the heck out of my great ZMA Listening Room System and being grateful for it.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/27/16 at 17:18:38

I too am going to enjoy my system. This year was the year to pay attention to my sources and I did. I feel weird around  here as I'm not at ALL interested in computer audio, in open baffle or indeed any other type of speakers than I have, room treatment (just not possible, I have a wife and a tiny house),"Hit" boxes, "Pills," or other ways to manipulate the signal. I really love my system and will focus on the music I have, new music, and the video content broadcast or purchased.

I'm very grateful for the system I have, it's like a dream that I had come to reality, Decware and PS Audio predominantly have provided me with incredible components I can afford and enjoy.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 12/27/16 at 21:06:33

I'm going to keep churning out diffusers. I've got some designs that would be considered high-end custom builds for recording studios that I'm going to put in the back of my listening room...then I'll start selling off my foam and prototype diffusers to make room.

Since I have the Betsy OB drivers which are pretty efficient, I'm going to try a couple fun baffle designs and see if I can get them small enough without losing sound quality to use in my "second system" which is right off my computer desk.

I may also look into a budget DSD DAC for said second system off my computer, along with a little subwoofer under the desk.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 12/27/16 at 21:17:58

2017- a cartridge for the turn table...I have been dragging my butt on this for too long. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #5 - 12/27/16 at 23:16:41

Component isolation.
Room treatment.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/02/17 at 18:01:20

picked up a pair of dm-947's from fellow forum member.  so now i can try a high eff speaker with a low watt tube or ss class a amp.

what do you think csp3>rachael>dm947?  that work?
or will a ZMA do these and my 86db mg1.6's too?  be nice to have one amp (that i could live with) do both, rather than 2 different setups.

still have my zenfest coupon burning a hole in my pocket Smiley

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/02/17 at 18:30:18

If you can swing it why not do the ZMA, it will drive both those speakers I'm sure, and why not have "one amp to rule them all."

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 01/03/17 at 17:23:07

Besides my reply #1, I decided to get the Pills for my DVR output.
https://www.decware.com/newsite/PILL.html

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1455075036/90

I have a nice stable of IC's still.
Another pair of Kimber KS1030 available (I use no Pre with ZMA now).
Kimber KCAG....in use coming out of my DVR right now. Very, very good and not bright as you might expect.
Also, a classic: the Monster MSeries M1000 Mk III IC, I will put in the mix. Why not....it is a little jaded in the bass....but fun.
Kimber Hero....out of my DVD/BluRay to use too. Love this IC in this spot....but need to try with Pills also.

So the Pills between a two or three combo experiment of IC's should prove interesting for Sirius Satellite Radio. When I can't be in my Listening Room.....I have SSR/XM playing through my behemoth Polk SRS SDA 1.2's:
Real Jazz
Smooth Jazz
Classic Rewind (Rock)
Classic Vinyl
Blue Grass.....
.............................Get some improvement I bet with the Pills...... .

I bought the Pills/own....so I will be experimenting with them indefinitely...and will try in my Listening Room....curiousity will be to much... .

Tripwire! Go with the ZMA man. Long term durable good of Joy....you can enjoy for many year's till the inevitable grave.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 01/03/17 at 17:43:10

I still love Maggie's. I worked for them before I went back to college in the late 80's. Last November/15, I went to a reunion. I had the pleasure of seeing and speaking to Mr. Winey before he went to Florida for that Winter.

I will get a pair of .7's for my Listening Room in 2018's budget, Tripwr.

....and of course, I will break them in stock...then have my Man Joe at Midwest Speaker....work his magic on the x-over's as I had him do for my Acoustic Zen Adagio's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/03/17 at 19:54:05

Well I spent the last 2 weeks of 2016 out of state so currently I'm drowning myself with my system here at home. Missed it while I was gone. Still fine tuning what I have but no certain direction on what to add next.

Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/03/17 at 23:32:11

stone/lon
you guys are no help with my amp selection!  lol
i've been leaning toward the zma for couple years now, prob should just do it.

that's cool you had a chance to talk with mr. winey last year.  i'd like to chat with him a bit.

selling all my speakers but the Maggies.  i just like them too much.  stock forum is ok on these 1.6's but with mye stands and modified xo's they really come to life.  it kinda sucks you have to do all the diy stuff to make them really really nice... but of well, and i still don't think i have more than $1500 in them.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/04/17 at 00:11:22

I have resolved to enjoy my Torii MK IV more. I'm currently thinking of changing from KT66 to 6L6, with also varying the inputs to tackle what is a bright room that the amp and speakers are set up in.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/04/17 at 16:01:52

I'm on a Rachael kick lately and I expect that to continue in 2017.  Last year was input tubes and rectifiers so this year I will be fussing with some power tubes to see what those bring to the table.

I'll also build up my new mac mini to include more RAM and a LPSU.  I'll probably play with Audirvana settings and the settings on the P5 powerplant.

I usually have some mad money around the end of the year so I'll consider UFO ugrade.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #14 - 01/04/17 at 17:00:03

Palomino,
Do you know what the cost is to upgrade an existing Rachel with the UFO?

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 01/04/17 at 17:07:33

Quote:
I usually have some mad money around the end of the year so I'll consider UFO ugrade.

Doo eet!

Trip -

I drove these with my ZMA - it's not loud by any stretch, but it's some quality low level listening.  I just put these up for sale locally.

samb0357
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 01/04/17 at 17:08:41

Can't see myself buying much more gear. Records? Yes. Right now I have pretty much a perfect set up for me. Using my CSP2 with a restored Harman Kardon Citation 22 amp(and sometimes with a McIntosh MAC4100 receiver) driving both a pair of AR3 speakers, and sometimes a pair of AR 3a's. I might pickup a lower powered tube amp(probably something vintage, but a Decware is not out of the question) to use with a pair of KLH Model Six speakers from 1960 which sound great with lower powered tubes on occasion I have 4 turntables(Miracord 50H, AR XA, Garrard Lab 80, Dual 1019) which I love and use regularly. Can't see myself adding to that stable unless a Garrard 301/401 or Thorens TD124 makes themselves available at bargain basement prices.

All in all, over the course of years, I have put together a system which works for me. Sounds like others have too. Now to sit back and just enjoy the music.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 01/04/17 at 17:57:31

I look forward to potentially bringing in a pair of the Maggie .7's for their size manageability, with the new tweeter + midrange config. of the 1.7. With 115 watts of peak power out of my ZMA.....the .7's should be fun. I'm going to see if Audio Perfection will let me demo a pair......... . I might find a used pair too/this calendar year.

To your point Tripwr, yes the stock x-over's have to go! You know.

Buy the ZMA.  8-)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/04/17 at 18:38:36

I don't know.  I think its between $300-$500.  I'll noodle around to see if I can find the exact price.

One other thing I intend to try during 2017 is streaming.  Audirvana comes with a 3 month trial of Tidal so I'll give that a whirl.  I meant start the trial to over the holiday but I was too busy building stuff.

Also, speaking or Rachael and the UFOs, I discovered this:

http://alien-ufo-sightings.com/2012/02/rachel-nevada-famous-for-ufo-sightings-ar...

Coincidence?  I think not.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 01/04/17 at 19:02:11

I found the pricing in the Rachael thread:

The UFO upgrade for the SE34I is $400. It involves two new transformers, new mounting holes as well as a switch to change between 4 and 8 ohms!

Additionally there is an BIAS MOD for the amp as well.  It involves an upgraded bias supply for the output tubes that will mill the tubes up to around 48 mA. The mod also includes relocating the bias meters in the circuit closer to ground which improves the sound.  Cost $100

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 01/04/17 at 19:02:47

Coincidence?  I think not. To good, Palomino.   Grin
Steve's water drops do not lie either. I'm glad they/them are benevolent so far........ .

Jealous of you computer audio guys. I will climb out of the stone age eventually. I will get either my son or daughter's old Mac Laptop when they upgrade....and pine over all you guys have written.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 01/04/17 at 19:11:17

Happy to share what I know Stone.  Laptops are not supposed to sound as good as the mini, but are a good place to start.  With a program like Audirvana and some kind of USB signal cleanup device like a Regen, you may be surprised by the SQ.

Raven, you want me to buy your tubes or do the UFO upgrade?  Please let me know how you intend to spend my money so I can plan accordingly, you troublemaker.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #22 - 01/04/17 at 19:18:21

Thanks for the Rachael upgrade deets.  I was unaware of the Bias Mod.  For the price seems a no brainer, especially if already on hand for the UFO upgrade.  

Hell, may as well add some pin striping too...

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
samb0357
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 01/04/17 at 19:20:54

RE Streaming. Find a used Logitech Squeezebox, or Squeezebox Touch. Easy as that. It will stream your library, plus Spotify, Pandora, etc, radio stations from all over the world, etc. Great sound quality too. If you have wireless great. If not, you can hardwire the sucka. Small footprint, too. They don't make them anymore, but tons of support at the Logitech forums. I've been using one for many years now and will never give it up. And I ain't no technophile.

IP Logged
mac48025
Verified Member

I can resist
anything except
temptation

Reply #24 - 01/04/17 at 19:35:54

My resolution is not to spend so much money on audio this year. I give myself until the end of January to break it Wink

With building the new dedicated listening room and getting the Torii in the last month and a half I'll spend 2017 fine tuning the room and enjoying the Torii as it burns in more. Stocking up on NOS tubes and tube rolling will be a priority. I'm looking forward to enjoying the PS Audio Perfectwave PMT and PWD I recently purchased from Lon and will add a PS Audio P10 this spring. THEN I hope to be done buying new audio treats for a while. No promises though!

PS Audio P300>PS Audio Perfectwave PMT & PWD>Decware Torii mk IV>NOS Western Electric 14g speaker wire>Tekton Double Impacts
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 01/04/17 at 19:46:23

mac48025 wrote on 01/04/17 at 19:35:54:
I'm looking forward to enjoying the PS Audio Perfectwave PMT and PWD I recently purchased from Lon and will add a PS Audio P10 this spring.

Just got back from UPS Tom, they're on the way and should be there tomorrow!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #26 - 01/04/17 at 20:09:44

Quote:
Jealous of you computer audio guys. I will climb out of the stone age eventually. I will get either my son or daughter's old Mac Laptop when they upgrade....and pine over all you guys have written.

I build micro-PCs that are very capable, and starting at only $150 if you want to get your feet wet inexpensively. You just need a DAC of some sort with either USB or internet input.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #27 - 01/04/17 at 20:52:40

You bet LR, thanks. I will probably take you up on this later in the year.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/06/17 at 12:20:56

947's in the house!... thks Dixlon

sound pretty cool right out of box (no other system tweeks).  i did replace the stock jumpers with some WE12ga.  didn't like the looks of those jumpers and they make getting everything in the hole a pita.

looking forward to "new" set of speakers to play with in 2017!

20170105_182916.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #29 - 01/06/17 at 17:14:17

Really nice looking setup!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print