Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:30:11 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone else waiting for mono zen amps? (Read 8758 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Anyone else waiting for mono zen amps?
Reply #50 - 02/12/18 at 04:13:23

You know me, I won't be withholding impressions. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 02/15/18 at 02:46:42

I am enjoying my SE84UFO3. They are coming along very well. I had a toe tapping session today.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 02/15/18 at 03:05:22

Great Juan! Look very nice. The first pair of 25th Anniversary, eh? I'm looking forward to mine.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 02/15/18 at 09:03:30

Just regular SE84UFO3.   Smiley

They arrived before the recent R&D breakthroughs were posted. I am thinking about upgrading, but I want to get to know what I have first.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 02/15/18 at 10:17:39

Oh sorry, I thought perhaps yours was the one that was shipped out. Good idea to break these in and get to know them if you do decide to send them in for the upgrades.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 02/18/18 at 13:51:32

Even without the upgrades these are fabulous amps, but I really want to go for the upgrade. My problem is that I have to ship them from Norway to Peoria, I guess at least 4-500 usd for the shipping alone. And a total cost of close to 2k is quite a lot. Yet, from Steve’s post I read that it should be worth it.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 02/18/18 at 18:33:26

I agree. The SE84UFO3 are great amps. I do not think I will be upgrading them because I would have to ship them back.

I thought long and hard before I pulled the trigger on the original purchase. I have no regrets now that something better has come along.

I have put the SE84UFO back in my music system while I wait for more details on 25th anniversary editions.

My SE84UFO3 are now in my TV system continuing to burn in.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 02/18/18 at 18:39:48

Quote:
Even without the upgrades these are fabulous amps, but I really want to go for the upgrade. My problem is that I have to ship them from Norway to Peoria, I guess at least 4-500 usd for the shipping alone. And a total cost of close to 2k is quite a lot. Yet, from Steve’s post I read that it should be worth it.

I can envision talking myself into a pair of SE84UFO325 and moving the SE84UFO3 into backup or 2nd system duty. A very compelling argument!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #58 - 04/06/18 at 11:56:19

My SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks are built, tested, and packed! Should ship soon. Exciting!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #59 - 04/06/18 at 16:17:32

Lon,  Sweet! Can't wait to hear your impressions. I'm saving for the ufo25.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #60 - 04/08/18 at 02:42:45

Hello Juan,
Are those Mapleshade platforms under your amps ?
If so, did they make a difference ? ;
Inquiring minds want to know !!

Cheers,                  Crazy Bill   Grin

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 04/08/18 at 11:31:25

Yes. Mapleshade platforms. They serve the purpose and are consistent with my other platforms and audio rack. I bought them when I decided to order the SE84UFO3 so I have not used the amps on anything else. Thanks

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 04/08/18 at 11:41:51

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 04/08/18 at 11:43:54

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #64 - 04/08/18 at 11:49:32

Look beautiful Juan. I get my Monolocks tomorrow.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 06/04/18 at 22:38:54

I don’t know too much about DAC and have a gut feeling that this might the area in the audio chain were we first hit the point of diminishing returns. Still my Cambridge dacMagic has been my weakest link. Not a bad component, far from it, but I know now I have some potential here. Yesterday I got myself a AURALiC VEGA. So fun to find a good step upwards

This is really something else. And I’m still just using it with redbook material

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 01/06/19 at 20:21:01

Hi guys and happy new year!!

I wanna ask a question concerning one of my monoblocks. A couple of times i have noticed a repeating "thump" sound in one speaker. First time i turned them off and later back on again the sound was gone. Later it happened again.
'
Last night it once again occurred and i also noticed the VR tube was "blinking" and in the same pace as the sound in the speaker. So changed that tube and everything seemed ok. Later the same symptoms occured. But maybe the rectifier tube didnt seem to glow, not sure though..

Anyone with an idea what this could be?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 01/06/19 at 23:20:47

Jorgen, I've occasionally had similar sounds. . . in my case I think it's one of my sources shutting down causing it. It hasn't been a problem that damages components or diminishes the sonic qualities.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #68 - 01/07/19 at 00:44:24

All OA3 tubes will blink on and off during start up and do it again during shut down.  The volume should be turned down during this period.  Once the output tubes begin to conduct current and the OA3 blinks on for the first time or two, you might hear a thump through the speakers.

Additionally, in order to keep an OA3 (or any VR tube) lit, the tube or tubes it serves must be drawing current.  If for example, the input tube started drawing less current because it is wearing out or failing) this would create the condition you described during operation.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 01/07/19 at 01:02:40

Ever since I got the Anniversary mods on my CSP3 I hear a medium and rising pitch "wooooooop" from each channel on startup.  It started in the right mostly and now it's longest and loudest on the left.  I know this because I don't have my volume down at startup.  Oops.   Tongue

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #70 - 01/07/19 at 01:17:27

My CSP3 with the 25th Anniversary Mods has done the same thing. My wife likes to pretend it's ME passing gas. . . .

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 01/07/19 at 01:39:05

🙈🙉🙊

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 01/07/19 at 17:06:38

Hilarious!  It is a really funny sound.  Totally unexpected.  (The CSP3 I mean.   Embarrassed)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 01/08/19 at 17:11:49

Hi and thanks for replying

Maybe i wasnt clear when i wrote my question. Its not related to when i turn my amp on or off, i have noticed that especially the ZP3 blinks a lot when turned off. The tube blinks when it, the amp, has been running for hours, and the thump-thump-thump sound is heard in the speaker in the same pace as i can see the blinking. If i turn it off, and wait a while before turned back on the symptom is gone. as i wrote, i have changed the VR tube, but a few days later i noticed the same problem, so i have thought maybe its not the VR tube, but maybe something else.. like maybe the rectifier, but i do not know, i have currently changed the rectifier to see if the problem goes away. The thing is that, as stated above, the problem have appeared when amp has been on for many hours..

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 01/08/19 at 17:22:36

Have you tried swapping out all the tubes with known, good tubes?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
jslateiv
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 01/08/19 at 17:43:35

As Steve and Archie said, make sure your 3 front end tubes (ax7/au7) are good.  If they are start to get weak and their bias has dropped too low then there would be less current running through the VR tube possibly causing the condition you're experiencing,..   I believe these VR's require at least 5ma running through them to keep them 'alive'.    In the ZP3  there is probably not much more than that being pulled with a know good set of input tubes.

PureFidelity Harmony (SS Zephyr MIMC / ZYX Ultimate 100 / Miyajima Madake) > Roon/NUC > Holo KTE May > Supratek Cortese LCR > SE84-25 Zen / Gerus 300B / Radu Tarta Ultimate 300B > Triangle Celius 202 / Zu Omen (Hi-Mod) / ZenMstrL-F15 : PSA P12 : Iconoclast Cabling
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 02/03/20 at 18:16:33

Finally i got the opportunity to ship my monos back to decware for upgrades. Really looking forward to hearing them, when i get them back in a few weeks. . Since my last post I also bought a CSP3, without 25th ann upgrades.
What do you guys think, will i have the full effect of the upgrades before i upgrade the pre? Best result without pre? The CSP and my miniTori is next in line for a trip to Peoria

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #77 - 02/03/20 at 18:43:39

You'll get great sound without the pre. Will get a bit more flexibility as far as gain riding and dynamics with the CSP3 stock. With the mods done to the CSP3 even more so. I have the Monoblocks with the mods and have run the CSP3 with the mods and currently use the Monoblocks with a ZTPRE (no mods) and the CSP3 with the mods with a Taboo Mk IV with the mods. Two great systems!

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 02/03/20 at 21:42:06

HI Lon

Im sure i will get great sound with upgrades, but if in my shoes would you use the pre, if not upgraded?
In my system I guess i will, just because of my need to have two sources, and because i think the pre added some favorable qualities, at least before any upgrades.

Main system; Upgraded turntable from Thorens. ZP3 to CSP3 to monos to HO Omega speakers with Dave Cables all the way. Streaming is Tidal HIFI to Auralic Vega DAC.

For headphones: MiniTori feeding LCD 3 from Audeze. But in retrospect maybe i should have chosen a Taboo....More usage as a headphne amp than as a stereo amp.  Using PC to DACmagic plus. The MT makes a little hum, and the CSP3 isnt enough power.
BUT then...  really like my MT. Like really

Im pondering if I should get long RCA cables and place mono amp close to speakers. Not sure if identifiable in terms of soundquality with short speakescables and long RCA as an alternative to short RCA and long speaker cables, but would be a way to have room for everything.

I have asked if possible to get meters added to the monos, i dont think it would be possible, but doesnt hurt to ask.  Also asked if it is possible to have adjustable voltage on the pass-through RCA

Chheeezus my computer is set for Norwegian, im not really this bad at spelling...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #79 - 02/04/20 at 01:56:27

I definitely would use the CSP3 without mods as long as they had matching output caps, and maybe later upgrade to the mods. I am using a ZTPRE without its mod and love the sound. . . .

I have never tried short speaker cables. long RCA. . . .

What pass through RCA do you mean?

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 02/04/20 at 17:52:47

My monos has RCA out, one on each amp, i thought they was called pass-throu RCA. i also thought they have a fixed output of 2 or 2,5v. When i tried with a sub, with 0.7V needed input, i had very little gain control for the sub. I might be wrong on several of these assumptions though..  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #81 - 02/04/20 at 18:46:18

Thanks for explaining. My Monoblocks don't have an RCA out, I wish they did have a pass through audio as then I could feed my Taboo Mk III headphone amp from them and have the ZROCK2 settings that it would benefit from. But alas mine just have two inputs, one silver, one gold, each supposed to be the same, an input, one to be used at a time.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 02/04/20 at 23:35:24

My monos have the pass through as well. Mine is variable, not fixed. Inside jack is input and outside jack is output. I’m using the output jacks to feed a Klipsch subwoofer. Thanks

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 02/04/20 at 23:52:25

Thats quite intereresting, and the solution on yours Lon is sort of weird, if i can say such a thing, and if i understand correctly that you can only connect one source but with both connectors? have you tried them as output?  I didnt ask for a pass-throu, and actually i kind of thought i had two inputs when i ordered it, and didnt learn until later that it was only one.  I just glared at the photos and assumed and had decided i wanted to try SET-amplification after I had gotten my MT. I justified to add a CSP3 for the two input option, and was curious what a pre would add. Havent heard it combied with the monos yet,

Are there any options on the mono upgrades i should ask for, other than the general 25th ann upgrade? i believe i asked for upgraded caps when i bought them, not vcaps though. i am sort of contemplating to ask Steve to bypass attenuators, just a fixed setting matching a CSP. What you guys think?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #84 - 02/05/20 at 00:31:31

Jorgen, as I understand it (and as you can see from the manual below) either of the two input jacks can be used as an input for a channel, only one to be connected at a time I assume. Here is what the manual for the SE84UFO3 says:

The RCA input jacks are arranged with both a silver and a gold jack. Both of these jacks do the same thing and only one should typically be used at a ?me. If your interconnects are gold, use the gold jack. If your interconnects are silver, use the silver jack.

It's interesting that you both have used this as a pass through. I don't see how that is possible according to the setup outlined in the manual. I guess I'll try it. . . shouldn't harm anything to try I suppose.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #85 - 02/05/20 at 00:35:13

As for mods possible, the current model comes with the Type 2 Jupiters, and they seem to come with stepped attenuators standard.  That leaves as an option the 25th Anniversary mods which are worth it in my opinion, but not cheap.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 02/05/20 at 01:04:10

I have #14 & #15. I think there was a change in jack functionality on later models. I would get the 25th Anniversary mods if you can.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #87 - 02/05/20 at 01:16:19

Actually Juan I am so glad that Jorgen mentioned the "pass through RCA" and that you verified that you are using your two jacks as an input and a pass through as. .. I just tried the second set as a pass through in my set up and hallelujah--it passes the signal through. That means I now power my Taboo. Mk III from the bypass that includes the EQ from the ZROCK2 rather than the second set of outputs on my ZBIT. This has improved my headphone sound a whole lot, it's just what I knew the ZMF Ori headphones I'm using there needed. Win win in my situation, and I seem to be getting the full voltage that is going to my Monoblocks out of the pass through.

Thanks to you both again, I'm a happy camper. . . get to eliminate one set of interconnects that was just a bit inferior to the others, and get better sound for that headphone situation Very happy with this discovery!

So probably Steve should add this info to the product page and the manual. I'll email him.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 02/05/20 at 01:30:02

Cool. It’s a neat function to have.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 02/23/20 at 19:49:07

Shipped my amps to Decware 3 weeks ago and got them back today, pretty good since i live in Norway. So thanks to Steve and Sarah for being customer-oriented and for doing the work in no time.  And a hug thank you to my friend who brought them over the Atlantic and back

Apart from fixing a blown transformer I had them upgraded with the 25th mods, and shipped with a full set of new tubes (red tipped)

Since i have only heard a few tracks I will not comment on how they sound, (but i do notice that i do stop typing....)

I have used my MT for the last 7-9 months, the difference is obvious, and since the last time i used the monoblock I have added a CSP3 in the chain. I will get to know the new sound over the next few days, and im really forward to this.

I wanted to ask others who uses a CSP3 how you have dialed in the line level controls and headphone controls, and even how you set the volume on the monoblocks?

I use a ZP3 as source and a Auralic Vega as  DAC, i believe 2V out from the ZP3 and max 4V from DAC. Would this mean the should have indivdual setting for the 2 sources?

Also. I have a sub, and until now i have speaker cables running from the amps to the sub and then to the main speakers. I tried using the pass-through, but to much gain (?) i believe for the sub so couldnt dial it in to match.

(Since i needed 45 minutes to write this, i guess there is something going on here that i like...)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print