Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:03:34 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone else waiting for mono zen amps? (Read 8760 times)
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Anyone else waiting for mono zen amps?
12/27/16 at 01:32:58

Hi guys

Placed my order for a pair of these mono amps on Black Friday. Ordered them with upgraded caps and with the stepped attenuated as well. Since I live far from Decware I haven't heard them, but I'm pretty sure they are as good or even better than Select I heard a while back, and also a step up from the MiniTori I have and will keep. No pre-amp in this setup, not sure if will get one either, not for a while at least.

So if anyone else has bought a pair please chime in

I do wonder if it can be built with a meter on them though, I like the detail, but that will maybe be a mono select version later

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone else waiting for mono zen amps?
Reply #1 - 01/04/17 at 11:25:39

Emailed Steve a few days back. The reply was that with this chassis design, meters couldn't be added, but can be a possibility with a later design. The others part of the email was concerning the bias setting. Steve offered to add a bias setting switch or to build the amp with the aggressive setting. Since I haven't heard either setting and that I do not know what would be better in my system I decided to have the switch added to both amps. A little extra cost but now I don't have to wonder what would be better.

Now I am contemplating if I want to add a pre-amp, run long IC and shorter speaker cables.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/04/17 at 15:20:00

Keep us apprised of what you end up doing. I would love to hear those monos.

JD

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/05/17 at 14:59:41

I will. I was just reading a thread about using the miniTorii as a pre. My first buy from Decware was a MT, and it's a keeper for sure, even when the mono amps come. Maybe the MT can be a pre and find out  if the Mono's appreciate a pre-amp? Should it be used with the ordinary tubes?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/06/17 at 01:33:35

I thought that Decware keeps a list of what everybody ordered. You might see somebody on there who is waiting but won't post on the forums. These are not a high volume item because most folks look at the cost, currently around $2400 per pair and see 2.7 watts and go "hmmmm?" Is it worth it? Especially when you can get a 20 watt Torii Jr., for the same price; a 4 watt Mini Torii or a 6 watt Rachel for less.

One has to be a purist to want these mono blocks. The magic of the Super Zen and its new UFO version is undeniable. So I can see why a few would want to take that to the logical final highest level which is found in the mono blocks.

I think that Steve should offer the mono blocks in a single chassis with meters and adjustable bias. Maybe a Rachel sized platform would do.

As to bias, I liked the hot bias setting in my Super Zen when I had it. It just is more alive sounding.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/06/17 at 03:21:53

Hi RR
Yeah you're right, I can probably find other buyers if I need to. When I was waiting for my ZP3 last spring I found my 2014 MT purchase way down on the list. And I totally agree with you, one can get more watts for less even at Decware. I really like the mini Tori a lot, and shouldn't actually need more gear,  but then on the other side I have read so much positive reviews of the zen and wanted a little something special. I don't need more watts either, I'm waiting for custom pair of Omega high output speakers, with alnico drivers instead of the 4inch drivers used in the Decware/Omega project. I have my hope up that this combo will be a cool upgrade, even if playing in the same park.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 01/07/17 at 16:47:32

Jorgan- Please keep us informed when the amps arrive. I would love to hear Omega's with Alnico drivers sometime. I do enjoy the heck outta our  Super 7XRS mk2's and going up to the Alnico drives would have been too much $$$(have to keep the bike running well also) but maybe someday. Very interested in hearing about your system. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/09/17 at 18:48:25

Hi HD
Yeah I guess a Harley cost a lot, up here I would expect 3000USD just to get a license.... I'm running the MT with 7"alnico drivers today, also from Louis. A 1.5 HO will be different, and with new amps a totally new setup. It seems the amps will be finish earlier than expected so I have treat soon to come.

Reading up on tubes and looking to get a few to roll, it's a pretty expensive hobby. I have a trick up my sleeve whenever my wife raises an eyebrow though, whatever I buy and she wonders the cost I say 500, no matter what.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #8 - 01/10/17 at 21:55:01

Reading up on tubes and looking to get a few to roll, it's a pretty expensive hobby. I have a trick up my sleeve whenever my wife raises an eyebrow though, whatever I buy and she wonders the cost I say 500, no matter what.

Jorgen,

And that works?  

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/11/17 at 01:05:00

Ehhh well she's a PhD graduate... so not born behind a barn. Maybe its more like the male equivalent to: it was on sale, I saved a lot...

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/23/17 at 19:51:17

The Mono's are now on bench, and I checked the waiting list, and from what I can tell, I'm actually the only one so far to order these...so this will be a lonely thread...

Still looking for tubes for some rolling, is the 6922 tube the one with most impact on sound?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/23/17 at 20:54:20

Jorgen, yes that is my finding.  I have a pair of 2008 monoblocks with beeswax caps and other upgrades.  I have the Russian output tubes in, a 50's RCA 5U4G rectifier and I think 50's RCA OA3s.  In the input position I've tried a bunch of things but my favorites are the Amperex 6DJ8, 6299 and 7308...all white labels.  But a good cheap tube is the Chinese tube Steve recommended for 20 bucks shipped for a pair.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/23/17 at 21:10:29

Agree with Mark. My fav of all time is Amperex 7308 made in USA with USN CEP written on the tube. Recently noticed that the top of the tube is also crimped. I think they would be awesome in your application.
Would love to jump on the mono wagon but funds do not allow.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 01/23/17 at 21:15:54

In my opinion in such a simple circuit every tube matters and will influence the sound of the whole complement. I recommend burning the amp in with the tubes supplied and then experimenting with each tube type over time.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/23/17 at 23:52:23

You are spot on to my plan, but I have a need to have replacement tubes for each spot just in case and I might aswell get some which are an upgrade it at least different. I do trust Decware to supply a good combination, but gonna get some that's interesting.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/01/17 at 19:34:54

I never gave it a thought, but it turns out these amps are fitted with one input, I guess I just took a peek on the pictures and didn't think much more of it, but it turns out there is s RCA pass-through or something. Not a big problem though, I can add a switch box or a ordinary pre. While I decide or wait for needed equipment I can use my moniTor as pre

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/01/17 at 20:37:12

Quote:
I never gave it a thought, but it turns out these amps are fitted with one input, I guess I just took a peek on the pictures and didn't think much more of it, but it turns out there is s RCA pass-through or something. Not a big problem though, I can add a switch box or a ordinary pre. While I decide or wait for needed equipment I can use my moniTor as pre

That's how I ended up getting a CSP3 to use in front of my ZMA.  By the time I factored in the cost of a quality switch box, I figured, why not?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/28/17 at 23:59:23

At last the amps are here. A friend brought them from Florida and to my place outside of Oslo. Except for one tube that is ringing a little,they made here in perfect shape. Decware know how to pack important stuff!
First five or so hours with a digital source, but now I have rearranged my setup and am able to play vinyl through the ZP3. I know Steve writes the Decware should have the same sound signature but I'm not sure I hear the same stuff as before. The sound is quite different compared to the MiniTori I'm very very familiar with. Not sure how to put words to it but it seems like the music I'm listening to is more forward in the room, almost as I'm closer to the soundstage. Now I have to figure out what positions the bias setting is best and if I prefer the 4 or 8 ohm setting best. I know from before that amps will grow as the get some hours of usage and burn in, but they sound great out of the box. My speakers will need more hours in the days and weeks to come to give max of the potential, but this is like love at first sight.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/01/17 at 00:04:22

And on the bottom it says #002/003

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/01/17 at 01:41:05

Cool. I look forward to hearing more about your amps as time goes by. I hope more mono amps are out in the field soon. Inquiring minds want to hear more about them.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/04/17 at 13:03:41

The first couple of days I was a little worried about a small transformer vibration in one of the amps. Steve answered me quickly and he wasnt worried, the vibration went away after a few days, as he suggested. Wasn't a big issue, and didn't affect sound quality. Still very satisfied when it went away. The amps are more quiet than my miniTori, close to no hum in speakers. At the moment I'm very impressed with power I can squeeze out of them. I'm getting plenty of headroom for my use with 95 (or so) dB sensitive speakers. Keep in mind my speakers are new and developing as well as the amps so I don't know the potential yet.
Even though I was happy with sound quality straight out of the box I notice development. With a very good source as the ZP3 and a good jazz recording I'm sitting with the musicians and can separate each performer and instrument from the next.

The other amps I have had from Decware has been better and better with use even after first and second year, so this is what I'm expecting with these as well.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 03/04/17 at 14:03:31

Jorgen, I've skimmed this thread and want to say I love my set of 2008 Monoblocks...I'm the second owner.  They were upgraded with beeswax caps and better resistors before I bought them...mine don't have the new UFO transformers of course. When you get to the point you want to know about tubes to try, I'll tell you my opinions if asked.

I'm pretty sure Steve could have given you two inputs.  I think mine have two inputs and two outputs though I'm only using the inputs that weren't covered by gold caps when I got it.  I have given you a picture of mine below...tubes and cables have all been changed since the photo.  Mark.

PS...for some reason the photo didn't post...so I'll give you the audiogon posting when I bought them...that has several photos and a description.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tube-decware-se84zsm-monoblocks-with-ckc-mod-j...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/04/17 at 14:13:33

Hi Jorgen,

Congrats on the new amps.  Like you, I have a Mini Torri too.  My Zen sounds very different than the MT.  There definitely is a midhall (MT) vs front of the hall (Zen) difference between the two amps.  For me, I often think that the MT goes a little too far in the spectrum and sometimes can sound too thick.  That said, with a good recording, the MT can really shine, but overall, I definitely prefer my SE 84, and yes it's also much quieter then the Mini.

Keep us posted with your impressions.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 03/04/17 at 15:02:50

Wow, I bet you are in heaven listening to these. These are the amps that tempt me the most. . . though I don't see them in my future as I'm not sure that the amps would have quite enough "oomph" for my HR-1s in this large room--though with the ZBIT perhaps. If Steve could fit his treble cut circuit on these. . . well I might try a pair one day if I were to clear out my audio extras!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 03/04/17 at 15:06:07

I'm telling ya Lon...They're a bargain at $2390 for a pair.   Wink Smiley  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 03/04/17 at 16:07:22

I'm sure they are Mark, but that's money I don't have right now! IF I were unhappy with my Torii then I'd be motivated, but I'm not, I am crazy in like with this machine and its flexibility.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 03/04/17 at 16:33:18

The "issue" with only one set of inputs was just me not paying attention so i never asked. A bit stupid of me. That said, i can use my MT as pre i guess, read somewhere in the forums users have tried that with positive results. For now im very comfortable with switching cables. Maybe a dedicated pre will come later.

i ordered these with upgraded caps, and stepped attenuators. The ZP3 has this aswell so i was opting for making them as good as possible.

Im looking for tubes but havent decided anything yet, and any advice will be very welcome.

I have to say this is sonic bliss and cant find enough hours to sit down and just listen

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 03/14/17 at 16:11:58

Day after day and night after these amps evolves. I have had some issues with bad rectifiers and scored some NOS NIB yesterday from my local pusher. Great to hear both amps and ZP3 without the tube added high frequency ringing I was bothered with. Huge difference in sound from entry level DAC and HQ riaa and a proper deck. I have been playing around with bias switch and have found the preferred setting, also checking differences between 4 or 8 ohm.

The above mentioned pusher almost had me for a pair of real gold pin Siemens or telefunken 6922 NOS  tubes. Approximately 250 USD a pair. He also wanted to sell different el84, but I want to read up and hear what you guys recommend.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 03/14/17 at 16:50:01

Jorgen, I went through the research phase on the EL-84s for my Taboo MK III and Zen Monoblocks, and after reading others experiences, I decided to stick with the Russian tubes and roll everything else.  I stocked up on the Svetlana branded SV83 and the Military Spec tubes and called it a day.  I have enough for my lifetime...maybe a few more lifetimes too  :)  Lon here does use EL-84s and is very happy with them...might do a search for his impressions.  

On Telefunken and Siemens tubes, after reading Joe's Tube Lore and falling in love with the Amperex input tubes...6DJ8, 6922 and 7308....I decided to not do much searching...did get some Mullard 6DJ8s, maybe a few others.  But I'm currently in the stocking up on spares mode. Hope this helps and saves you some time and money.  Mark.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 03/14/17 at 17:02:23

Jorgen, refresh my memory, what Amps do you have?

PS...nevermind Jorgen...just looked at the title of this thread...Duh.  I have the 2008 version of your Monos...love them and will never sell them.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 03/16/17 at 00:01:15

Yeah the title sort of reveals the type of amps.

I'm getting more and more impressed with this new system. Both amps and speakers have developed properly and amongst other factors detail and resolution is very impressive. Big difference when goes from digital to analog source. I'm hearing more in each and every recording, and lots of fun finding this in material I know very good. Instruments are very easily to follow, and I can choose what instrument I want to focus on. I'm very aware to cost per watt is pretty high with these amps, but to me it's very much worth it.
I think I had pretty nice setup earlier, but it is those small steps in the right direction that drives guys like us, and I'm getting quality back for the investment. It's kinda of fun to be the only owner of this version, but to any lurkers, go for it.

I have a question though, when close to clipping, would the OA3 start pulsating? I have noticed this when I turn volume to between 2 or 3 o'clock so to speak? Not sure what is the max setting. I'm using stepped attenuators. Can't her any noticeable clipping tendency at that point, but wanted to ask if any of guys would know.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 03/16/17 at 00:30:41

Not many bought the 2008 version either from what I could tell.  In regards to the OA3...I think that happened when playing the Omega Alinco Super 7XRS at 93dB too loud but I never have seen it with the Zu Audio "Souls" at 99 dB.  With the "Souls" there's plenty of headroom. Mark.

PS...thinking about it I may have seen a flickering Rectifier with clipping with the Taboo MK III...it could never provide adequate volume with the Omegas.  It's been so long, can't remember.  The answer is that tubes can flicker when clipping occurs.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/07/17 at 21:04:47

Did my first "modification" in a tube amp today... Steve shipped the new covers with etched symbols. He took the time to talk to me a little on the phone and we had a ten minutes conversation about the amps and how I liked them. I really wish English was my native language, a little afraid to not understand and be able to explain my thoughts. He wanted to know how I liked the amps and we spoke a little about what find in terms of difference between these and my MT.

I was able to switch the covers, but was a little nervous that I might screw up and was very careful. Still easy enough.

Tonight I have planned to just spin records and enjoy. It ain't difficult. Even though I find them to be really good with a entry level DAC I very much prefer vinyl and the ZP3. Very reaveling in terms of quality with the recordings. That also means very rewarding with good ones. Fabulous in  soundstage and detail, and I like systems that offers this kind of detail and transparency. Very very good when I play with low SPL, that is must for since I often listen to music at night when the others are sleeping.

Using; ortofon 2m black with a mission 774 tonearm modified with silver tonearm wire and WBA RCA output. Deck is a modified Thorens 160mk2. Daves cable from TT and from ZP3 to amps. I have replaced input tubes (telefunken NOS) and rectifier with NOS from Western Electric. Amps with same rectifiers as ZP3. Speaker cables also from Daves cables. Speakers are now properly burned in over > 300 hours I guess but not counting. I really like these HO Alnico drivers from Omega. I will before summer try some HQ and expensive gold pin input tubes from telefunken but these are pretty expensive, on the other side they will last a really long time so no worries.
Still waiting to hear from others who have bought these amps...

IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #33 - 04/08/17 at 20:42:11

Guys I have a Rachel on order and a thinking about switching to the mono blocks or bridged ufo2.  I want to drive zu druids 101db but 16 ohm in a 20ft x20ft room.  Any thoughts on what would sound better?  Rarely listen loud, but would like to crank it every once and while.

Jorgen how do the monoblocks sound compared to the mini torrii?

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/08/17 at 21:35:00

I would switch to the monos. The sensitivity of the speakers would not be a problem with 2.7 watts. The Rachel is really mild. You should ask Steve to bias the monos on the hot setting.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 04/09/17 at 00:27:04

I can't tell you to switch from the Rachael to these because I haven't heard that amp and probably never will either. So I can't compare them. I first bought the MT without knowing what it could offer in terms of sound signature and quality and I immediately started to love that amp. I have enjoyed tube rolling with that amp and sound is very nice. When I got the mono amps, and learned how they sound, i realise they are quite a few notches better on the parameters I enjoy and prefer. They reveal every part of your system and the recordings you are listening to. The MT are more forgiving I guess, and that was Steve's comment as well. They are able to fill my listening room in a way that it could seem like being amongst the musicians while they play. I enjoy deciding to follow one instrument all the way through a song, hear how that instrument is fluctuating being in the back or in front, if that makes sense? To some they might be hard on some recordings because they reveal pretty much everything that is or isn't there.
I enjoy music like Talking Heads and other bands with a love for a sort of complex approach and that suites these amps very well

I ordered mine with a bias setting switch, but use them in the more forward position.
I still haven't tried them with different tubes apart from the rectifiers that was doa and I'm looking forward  to hear how they react and change with NOS good input and output tubes.

IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Re: Anyone else waiting for mono zen am
Reply #36 - 04/09/17 at 03:34:00

Jorgen it appears there is a silver and a gold rca connection on each block from the pictures.  I assume 1 is an input, is the second a preout or another input or something else or perhaps imam just confused. No online manual for these,

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 04/09/17 at 06:13:51

Yes. One is an ordinary input and one is a pass-through RCA. I didn't realise before to late. The pass-through is guess is for use when bi amping

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 04/09/17 at 12:18:56

Well Jorgen, I'm glad to see how much you enjoy your monoblocks. I added a ZP3/TT and a CSP3 to my 2008 modded version of the Monoblocks which until now had only been playing CDs with a Jolida 100 CD player.

The CSP3 changes things a bit...more weight and density, a fuller, warmer sound with an enhanced bottom end.  I just started tube rolling this morning so things will get even better.

As to your earlier comment on pulsating OA3s, I've got it again...now when I use the ZP3 through the CSP3, with even moderate volume, no where close to clipping, I see pulsating.  I don't see it when playing CDs.  I'm pretty sure it's harmless and it doesn't seem to affect the sound quality.

I have two sets of RCAs and a toggle switch but in setting up the CSP3 I wasn't able to figure out which was a bypass...when the volume is off on the Monoblocks, the CSP3 didn't have sound as I would expect with a bypass RCA.  So what I have is the same as with my Torri...a situation where both the Monoblocks' and Torii's volume controls work and I "ride the gain" for optimal results.

The first tube roll was a Beckman labeled 1964 Amperex 6922 replacing one of the 6n1ps that Steve sent as stock in the CSP3...a very nice upgrade in sound.  I'm using a pair of these in the Monoblocks as well.  Mark.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 04/09/17 at 16:35:32

You boys are having too much fun with those mono blocks!

Are you sure that Jorgen is not really "Victor Lazlo" from the movie "Casablanca?"

55   IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 04/09/17 at 19:08:05

RR ; Had to google the reference. LoL. I'm not Victor..
But I can confirm I'm having really fun with them. I am considering a pre as stated earlier. Mostly because it would be easier changing between sources. And also because I would like to max out the potential of my system.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 04/09/17 at 19:29:26

If you added a ZSTAGE instead of a pre I think it would do you a lot of good. I used one with my ZEN and it allowed a lot more weight and body into the music.

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 04/10/17 at 00:02:58

True, but I used both a CSP2+ and a ZSTAGE with a C amp and the CSP2+ yielded better sound imo.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 05/08/17 at 09:50:21

The Wife took a trip to Barcelona thursday and i have been playing Music since she left... a lot of hours. Took the effort and arranged speakerposition properly since i could leave them in the better position for a few days. Again i was amazed by how big impact position changes how the sound is presented. Speakers was almost gone, and I had to mute the sound to find them again Roll Eyes. I also had time to try my MT with these speakers and i was actually surprised how big difference there was compared to the mono amps. The MT is a very good amp indeed, but it is not as good as the mono amps. They are tighter, presents music more naturally and with better resolution. A bit strange how my memory works, bigger difference than expected.

And I had a journalist visiting Thursday because he wanted to Write an article about the setup. I Guess its mostly because Decware isnt a well known brand here, neither is Omega and he wanted to do a piece about a different setup. He took lots of Pictures and he texted me later that he found the system very interesting, also commented that he enjoyed the sound a lot. The article will be published in a few weeks online, sort of a "@Jorgens place" kind of thing , more than an ordinary review. Looking forward to reading it.  

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 05/08/17 at 16:22:50

Nice update. Please share the link when it's up.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 05/09/17 at 12:04:14

...and now i feel a little bad for my MT and that i wrote that it doesnt measure up to the mono.. it has a mighty personality, and i do want it to be happy. To be happy i have to use it, with my headphones it is very good, so the MT is in service 7-8 hours a week.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #46 - 02/12/18 at 01:49:56

Well, I'm now waiting for the Mono Zen Amps; I ordered a  pair of SE84UFO3 with the 25th Anniversary upgrades and I'm eager to hear them!

I'm really enjoying my Taboo Mk IV driving my HR-1s and I know this will be a great step up.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 02/12/18 at 02:21:19

Wow!  What's that going to cost? I didn't realize he was through with the development phase.  Mark.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #48 - 02/12/18 at 03:02:56

The 25th anniversary mod adds $1360 to a pair of the SE84UFO3 amplifiers.  If anyone want's a pair prior to the release of the stereo model, you just have to write that you want it in the comments section of the order.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 02/12/18 at 03:18:03

Thanks Steve. I'm enjoying my 2008 pair of Zen Monos with upgrades now. I'll be eagerly awaiting impressions, Lon. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print