Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:07:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
music backup solutions? (Read 9912 times)
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

music backup solutions?
12/04/16 at 19:32:33

after many hours/days/weeks of ripping cds over the last several years i am starting to get nervous only having an external hard drive for a backup.  like to get these flac files backed up somewhere else too.

what's everyone using for this?  i have about .75TB of flac files.

price is a consideration, but more so i am concerned about ease of use.  i'd like backups to happen seamless in the background if possible.  i don't want to have to specify individual files for backup (every, day, week, etc...).

thoughts?

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: music backup solutions?
Reply #1 - 12/04/16 at 21:11:16

This is what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-StoreJet-Military-External-TS2TSJ25M3/dp/B00K08...
I just hook it up every couple of weeks and copy and paste my music files over.
It isn't hard or very time consuming.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 12/05/16 at 16:55:13

I know cost is a factor, but here are some thing you should consider:

#1 The human factor - getting busy, or being lazy, you forget to back up or you put it off and possibly lose some, if not all your data.

#2 Tragedy - If you have a house fire or other serious incident, you would lose all your data.

You could get a NAS (Network Attached Storage) which has an automatic backup  feature. They do get expensive, but you're paying for not only the hardware, but the operating system that has features such as automatic backup...and they can backup multiple devices, even your smartphone (with apps that would support this). I have a very large NAS, and it does quite a bit for me. It records my TV shows, stores my photos and downloads, backs up my desktop and laptops, and has a redundant hard drive setup, so if one (or more) drives fail, it keeps going giving me time to replace the failed drive without data loss. I've even added a network security camera to my house and it has software that looks for motion and records the videos. I also use it to stream my music to my DAC.

That covers about 98% of what you need.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keyword...

The other option is something like Dropbox or other cloud storage. This backups up your data to the cloud automatically, and allows you to share the cloud files from any PC you have the software on. So, let's say I have music on my home PC, it automatically gets backed up to the cloud, so I can also listen to my collection at work on my work laptop, or with the Dropbox app, I can also access all those files on my phone or tablet.

This gets your files *out* of your house, so if you have a tragedy where you lose everything in your house, at least your data is safe and can easily be recovered. The only thing is, this feature is $99 a year for 1TB.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_14935779011_spks_0_0_2725887742?rh=i%3Aaps%2Cn%3...

You could also do a combination of the above. I believe the Synology NAS even has a Dropbox app, so you could have automatic backups to your NAS, then automatically backed up to Dropbox (offsite). Or, get yourself a NAS, and also backup to your External hard drive which you can keep at work or a friends out (offsite backup).

The cheapest option I could think of right now though, get a pair of Western Digital external hard drives, which should still include their backup software. Have them backup your data every night, and once a week move your latest backup drive to work so you have one at home, and one at work. That still has some human factor in case of Tragedy, but would only cost about $200 for a pair of external drives.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 12/05/16 at 17:01:01

Note, these aren't the only options - there are lots of different cloud storage options, Google Drive, Amazon Prime Cloud storage, Iron Mountain, Apple Cloud.

There are also lots of backup softwares that can help you backup everything, or even just your music. So I'm sure you could find inexpensive options - my thoughts above were just to get you thinking.

There are so many options these days, and they are always changing and improving. So what I like and have been using for many years, might seem expensive or too difficult in 2017.  ;)

Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/05/16 at 18:58:22

i back up to a drive and put it in my fire proof safe.

like the idea of getting this stuff out of my house.  looks like the going rate is about $10/mth for 1TB.  that sound about right?

thks for the thoughts!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 12/06/16 at 05:55:38

When I took on the task of ripping my CD's, I did a bitperfect rip with XLD and set the output to AIFF and FLAC simultaneously.  That way I use one for playback and one for archiving.  

The problem is that we are talking about redundancy.  I keep multiple copies.... one on my hard drive, one on a separate NAS/RAID drive, one in my fire proof safe, and a final copy I keep at my dad's house.  

A hard drive can fail at any time.  The last thing you want is to try and access a hard drive one day, and it takes a nose dive, you will be pissed.  Hence the need for multiple backups.  

What I did was build a 4 bay NAS/ RAID drive to run off of my MAC.    You can choose which RAID mode you like ( I chose 1 + 0).  That makes a mirror copy.....but that requires the purchase of 4 identical hard drives upfront.  

Here is a quick article of RAID configurations explained...

https://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid

In term of the NAS/RAID, here is what I use....

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/external-storage/mercury-elite-pro-dual-esat...

This is what I use for the Hard drives.....

https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-red.html#WD40EFRX

The WD Red drives are meant to handle NAS and RAID environments, and come with a 5 year limited warrantly.  With using this setup, you just have to make sure that the hard drives are not only the same size type, but also are the same firmware version.  

What's nice about that is that it writes all of the information onto multiple hard drives, dependent on your RAID configuration.  When it fails....fails it will let you know.   You then just buy a new drive, slap it in, and it will rebuild itself on its own.

If you go this route, I would also buy software to certify the hard drives, which is sometimes overlooked.  I use Softraid only for that purpose.  Here is some more info on this....

https://www.softraid.com/pages/features/testing_disks.html

My problem is that I have 5 TB of Music, so for me to try and go to cloud will get expensive on a monthly basis.  For me, I am fine with my current storage solution, minus one day adding a backup onto  dual layer DVD's.    

Like the Lonely Raven indicated.....there are a lot of options out there, this is just to get you thinking.  Hope this helps.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 12/06/16 at 07:12:00

Quote:
i back up to a drive and put it in my fire proof safe.

That's really a misnomer, if not flat out misleading.

Typically the "fireproof" safe is fire-resistant up to a certain temperature for a X-minutes.

So your safe might be "fireproof" to 300 degrees for 120 minutes...which is great if you have paper documents in the safe and the fire is out in less than 2 hours, but kinda sucks if you have backup tapes or hard drives in there...

Just something to think about.

Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/06/16 at 12:17:26

oh that's exactly why i put this post up!

i was just stating what i currently do, which is only saving me from an original HD failure.  Not enough.  have way too much time in this to start over.

like the raid idea, but i still need to get copies out of my house.

i am thinking setup a raid 1 and back it up on a cloud somewhere or take a periodic copy to my parents house... something like that.

thanks for the input guys!

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/06/16 at 13:54:03

Ah, now I remember why I liked CDs and vinyl.  HAHAHAHA!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 12/06/16 at 14:20:18

LOL. Me too.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/06/16 at 16:56:55

RETHINKING....

guess having a backup HD (located anywhere) is as good as having my CD's, LP's, and Gear in the house!

if i have a fire, flood, or tornado, it's all gone anyway huh!  LOL

think i'll just settle for a backup on external HD or run a RAID mirrored HD, in the case that a HD fails.  If i have catastrophic loss I'll have other things to worry about.... i think

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/06/16 at 17:09:40

If you have a fire, flood, or tornado, I'm thinking CDs or FLAC files may be the least of your worries.  Just saying.

I've had some experience with cloud technology, but not alot.  They are not always reliable plus they don't seem to sync up to what I want.  

If a disaster took all my audio related stuff I don't know if I would go down the same path, again.  I would probably relegate myself to music on the iPhone with a nice set of headphones and be done with it.  Or take up the harmonica.  Harmonica players don't really need much.  Harmonicas are cheap.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 12/06/16 at 17:11:32

One of the biggest considerations is utilizing a variety of formats for archiving, in the addition of offsite backup.   Optical media, hard drives, and even tape should be part of your archiving strategy.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 12/06/16 at 17:45:13

Quote:
If you have a fire, flood, or tornado, I'm thinking CDs or FLAC files may be the least of your worries.  Just saying.

That is true, yes - but if you have all your music properly archived, it's one less thing you have to worry about, that insurance simply doesn't help you with. Whereas they are more likely to help you replace your hardware which is a more tangible item than a music collection.

Speaking of which, if you have enough equipment of value, including your music collection (Lon, thinking of you here), you should probably have a rider on your insurance covering the equipment or collection. To your insurance, your 10,000 CDs is just a bunch of plastic that's included in the meager sum they give you to replace your home.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 12/06/16 at 17:51:45

I've got that covered Eric, have for some time. Ha, at the moment I could travel 40 miles to my storage unit and set up a system immediately! Smiley

I'm sticking with the discs. They may not have a lot of value these days, but they have more value than digital files. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print