Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 22:48:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PS Audio Landrover review (Read 8240 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

PS Audio Landrover review
12/02/16 at 19:11:22

Saw this on Facebook this morning - realized this hasn't made the rounds yet so I'd post it here.

https://audiobacon.net/2016/12/01/ps-audio-lanrover-review-vs-microrendu-uptone-...
ultracap-lps-1/

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: PS Audio Landrover review
Reply #1 - 12/03/16 at 21:29:20

Sounds like an excellent product.  Ironically it lists all the reasons why I created both the ZCD240 and the ZDSD... no connection to a computer, and no computer required.  That last part is my favorite.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 12/04/16 at 17:09:12

Exactamundo.

Furthermore, $$ for more Decware, my Rachael and input NOS Platinum tubes.... For rolling in my Rach' and ZMA. ......time savings to listen to more music? Priceless.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 12/05/16 at 17:19:38

Quote:
Sounds like an excellent product.  Ironically it lists all the reasons why I created both the ZCD240 and the ZDSD... no connection to a computer, and no computer required.  That last part is my favorite.

Playing music from a flash drive on my Oppo BDP-105 was what made me discover how amazing digital audio could be.

But I like having access to every/any song in my collection instantly, as I'm listening, as the mood hits me. Hell, I purchased and downloaded music while I was at Decfest, and was able to add it to my library of music at home, and play it at Decfest in minutes. I've also purchased albums for my girlfriend while I was at work, and she was able to play it on her phone and on my ZMA.

Having to stop, pick songs, put them on a flash drive, then pop it into the player is like scheduling sex in my calendar, *and* needing to pause take a pill to make it happen.  :D  

I love popping on Heart, which makes me think of and jump to Zepplin, which makes me think of great guitar  and pop on Hendrix, which makes me think of modern blues so I pop on Joe Banamasa, which makes me think about guitar virtuosos so I play Joe Satriani....all from the listening chair, all as the music makes the mood change.

Add to that, the device does reclocking which makes everything sound more like the analog master for *any* device it's plugged into, plus good software which helps me explore my large library of music and discover new artists.

Yes, putting in a memory card does isolate the DAC from the noisy computer, but leveraging that technology gives you so much more. If it costs an extra $700 to considerably improve the sound, and have all that access, it's worth it to me.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 12/06/16 at 17:36:23

Points well taken LR. Hey, I don't need that pill either!   Grin

Anyway, I'm not a complete neophyte... .
Obviously, to survive in 2016+, I stay up on the latest and greatest for my home desktop PC, iPadII, DVR and phone.

I will get the bug one of these days and start ripping my CD collection to hard drive and go down the path..... . I enjoy following and learning from what you, Pal and others have to share about computer audio.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 12/06/16 at 17:48:18

Hell, I have trouble keeping up with it all, and I do IT for a living!

But then, it's like the mechanic with a crappy beater car that needs stuff fixed....after working on it all day, I don't want to have to go home and do more!

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/07/16 at 09:48:18

I quickly lost interest in the review and lost respect for the reviewer once I read this:

The LANRover actually sounded very flat and dull without a better Ethernet cable between the sender and receiver. It’s a night & day difference in dynamics, clarity, imaging, bass response, and engagement. <snip>

However, when the sender & receiver are directly attached to each other via a SOtM Ethernet cable, the bass tightens and the sound is much more open. It’s a huge sonic difference and I would expect these results if the network environment were optimal. For that reason I’ve kept it in this configuration for my tests.

All I can say is Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 12/07/16 at 20:05:10

I can't fathom why that was as well. Unless the cable was bad and causing major packet loss and lots and lots of resends...I can't imagine how an expensive cable would improve the sound...on the network side everything is sent in packets, and the whole point of the LanRover is that it's taking those packets, putting it back into digital stream, then re-clocking and outputting via USB.

So where is the issue?

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/08/16 at 05:38:25

Lonely Raven wrote on 12/07/16 at 20:05:10:
I can't fathom why that was as well. Unless the cable was bad and causing major packet loss and lots and lots of resends...I can't imagine how an expensive cable would improve the sound...on the network side everything is sent in packets, and the whole point of the LanRover is that it's taking those packets, putting it back into digital stream, then re-clocking and outputting via USB.

So where is the issue?

My thoughts exactly.  That guy is smoking crack if he thinks he can hear an Ethernet cable from a data stream that has gone through an entire network with 2 separate re-clocks along the way before it even hits the DAC (through an evil USB cable on the final end no less).

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #9 - 12/09/16 at 18:15:12

+1 on the Ethernet cable - psycho-acoustic difference at best - I'll bet my paycheck that in an A/B/X test of ethernet cables, as used in the review, he cannot pick one specific cable over any other - assuming they are all structurally sound and operating within their design standards.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print