Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 09:41:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Connecting Torii MkIII to powered subwoofer? (Read 4533 times)
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Connecting Torii MkIII to powered subwoofer?
12/02/16 at 13:34:57

Hi everyone,
I purchased a Torii MkIII from "marcocolo" on this forum about a year ago and am just delighted and awestruck with the sound I am getting.  I currently have a stereo pair of 12" subs that I used in combination with my main speakers (GMA Eos HD) with my prior solid state amp, running "speaker-level" connections to the main speakers and to the plate amps of the subs, as per Roy's (owner of GMA) advice, as he said this would allow for better integration with my main speakers.  The Torii I bought had the second set of RCA inputs modified, as per Steve's instructions, to be used as subwoofer "line-level" outputs.  Is there any reason I could not try running speaker-level outputs from the Torii's binding posts to my subs' plate amps, i.e., is there something about the Torii's design that requires the use of the "after-market" line-level RCA outputs to attach powered subwoofers?
Thanks so much,
Chris

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Connecting Torii MkIII to powered subwoofer?
Reply #1 - 12/02/16 at 14:37:34

I have an Omega Sub and the recommended method was speaker level connection to my Torii MK IV....works great.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #2 - 12/02/16 at 14:57:36

Would there be degradation in audio quality using this method? Now the speaker level outputs is driving both the subwoofer amplifier and speakers at the same time.  The subwoofer probably sucks just a tiny bit of power from the tube amps but wouldn't that be enough to negatively impact sound quality?

Sources: 2Qute, Hugo 2, Rega P5, Marantz SACD 8005.
Amps: Decware SE84UFO2, Torii, Nelson Pass Aleph, Elekit 8600s
Speakers: Tekton, Golden Ear Triton Two, HD800S.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/02/16 at 15:06:33

I don't think so but someone more knowledgeable on the technical side should answer.  I haven't tried any other hook up method.

PS...almost everything I read said the speaker level was preferred and is best for integration with your main speakers.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 12/02/16 at 15:31:38

I thought the same thing - I *assumed* that using the RCA would be better sounding because it's closer to the source. But even Steve/Decware recommends speaker level outs. I really can't discern any degradation of sound quality going speaker level. It does integrate better as far as I've seen, and if you have a plate amp or power amp with a built in crossover, then it's pretty much built for this.

If you have both options, it can't hurt to try both and see what works best for *you*.  Go for it and see how it sounds - you won't hurt the amp - so trust your ears!

P.S. I'm going to be doing something similar soon myself. I have a giant 21" subwoofer (that's the speaker size, not the box size!) backed up by a 2000 watt budget PA power amp I'd love to integrate with my MG944 off my Decware ZMA. I love my MG944, but I miss having a full bottom end, and the big woofer can go down to 10Hz hardly breaking a sweat.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/02/16 at 15:48:19

I connect both the sub and loudspeakers to the speaker level outputs.  In fact, my blue Torii has two sets of outputs so that I don't have to cram to sets of cables to the same output connector.  This was the best way I could integrate both sets of speakers.

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/02/16 at 16:15:17

Thanks everyone, for all the helpful replies!  I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't hurt anything by using the speaker-level off the Torii, as this is my first tube amp Smiley
I'll give it a try and see which way sounds better.
Thanks again,
Chris

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print