Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 09:59:19 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Secret Decware Speaker Offering Coming Soon.... (Read 82003 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Secret Decware Speaker Offering Coming Soon....
Reply #50 - 12/13/16 at 16:27:55

Further, good questions gentlemen.

I'm a kid in a candy store! Tomorrow, my Eddie Vaughn Carina (with Bubinga wood), deliver's at my local UPS. However, I can't get to it till Thursday because of work getting in the way of my life!   Grin  

Plus, old man winter has arrived in full force.....hey it has climbed from -6 to 0, so far today......... .   Roll Eyes

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 12/14/16 at 00:37:54

@ Stone - It's so cold here in Chula Vista that I almost had to turn my fan off before I went to bed last night! Grin

IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 12/14/16 at 00:43:46

I can attest to the wonderful synergy that a Decware amp ( Rachael for me) and Omega speakers have will send you into audio heaven.  I've got the Monitor 7s and just added a Deep sub this past weekend.  OMG...I really am not getting other things done around the house, as I'm sitting and listening through my collection.

I'm glad companies like Steve's and Louis's are around as there is great care taken in what is being made and produced....this isn't just hyperbole.

I'm currently running a Rachael with RCA 6L6GC, Amperex 6922 and a GE5Y3GT tube complement.  Really nice deep lows and a smooth mid.  The other part of this is just fun to change up the tone and frequency with a simple tube swap.

In any case, I'm quite pleased to see this partnership of sorts, it's a good feeling of confidence for the decision to purchase from these two companies.

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 12/14/16 at 01:46:33

@Beowulf - Did you end up getting your pair of custom AlNiCo Omegas with Rhythmic subs?   If, so how did they turn out?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #54 - 12/14/16 at 13:40:03

Good one Beowulf. I tell ya, the older I get.....December, January and February.....are really getting old up here. Going to retreat to my hut and the Coyotes in South Texas soon for good.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
willyspuddle
Verified Member

Reply #55 - 12/15/16 at 00:50:20

Pricing will be interesting. The Super3XRS is 1095.00, so an extra hole and set of 4.5 inch drivers/air coil should be way less than 3k. Also the website has Super3 monitor for 695.00 so this done up in 1.5 way should price out well. The Outlaw side of the website shows pictures/specs but no pricing.

Cheers!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #56 - 12/15/16 at 12:38:54

Good point Willy, I've been researching too. Well under 3k.......... .

Okay, heck, it is only -8 out there right now....it should climb to -5, when I go to the UPS store to pick up my Eddie Vaughn Carina at 8 am.
Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cool

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 12/16/16 at 02:55:29

Dave1210 wrote on 12/14/16 at 01:46:33:
@Beowulf - Did you end up getting your pair of custom AlNiCo Omegas with Rhythmic subs?   If, so how did they turn out?

Hi Dave, some family stuff got in the way and they haven't materialized just yet.  The subs are already at Louis' workshop in Connecticut, but I had him hold off on the build until after the first of the year (perhaps I can restart the project in early Spring).

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 12/19/16 at 02:46:59

How would these speakers sound like attached to the Decware DNA Horns?  Would that work?

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 12/19/16 at 15:19:52

After reading Steve's email I am more curious about this new offering. As soon as people hear this speaker I would love to hear more about it. I was sold on a pair of alnico towers from Louis but now I'm not sure.

JD

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 12/19/16 at 19:39:46

After receiving and reading Steve's email - these are very tempting.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 12/19/16 at 19:45:59

At this point, if I had 3k to burn I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on these.  I wish they go lower that 40k, for sure.   Some of Zu Audio's stuff is comparably priced with what I think are better specs, but that is just me.  I am off the subwoofer train and I'd rather not jump back on it.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 12/19/16 at 22:31:22

Steve wrote:

"It is the perfect pairing with our SET amplifiers and sells for well under $3K a pair."

I'm not sure what that means, but if they are near 3K, I would buy 2 pairs of other Omega speakers and have fun trying different setups/configurations. Wink

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 12/19/16 at 23:49:28

I don't know if Steve will see this but it would be interesting to get his impression as it relates to the Omega's he has been listening to.

I have the Omega Alnico Monitors and they of course sound Great on Great recordings. I was quite surprised however to find that lesser recordings sound surprisingly good on the Omega's as well. CD's that were barley listenable on my Klipsch RF-7s (a bit harsh, a bit thin) sound really good on the Omega's.

Rather than "a bit harsh, a bit thin" these recordings are Raw, Interesting, lots of Detail and get your toes tapping.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #64 - 12/22/16 at 02:13:02

I took some time to document my impressions of these speakers and then emailed everyone on our customer appreciation list (aka "the list") shown at the bottom of this forum.  If you're not on the list or didn't get the following email, then just click on the banner and sign up.  Meanwhile, here are the contents of that email and my impressions so far of these fine speakers.

Quote:
The New Omega Loudspeakers
A breakthrough in low mass high speed loudspeaker design

It’s no secret to those who are familiar with Decware’s SET amplifiers that Omega loudspeakers are a good match. You read about it over and over again in all the audio forums.  Over the past many years I can recall literally 100’s of phone calls involving the pairing of Decware amps and Omega loudspeakers.  Despite selling our own high efficiency loudspeakers for the past 15 years, I have pointed customers who’ve called me about Decware speakers towards Omega speakers when I thought something in the Omega line would be a better fit for a given situation.  

You might think this is odd, but it simply comes from customer feedback and getting to know Louis from Omega.  The feedback is substantial if not overwhelming and like myself, Louis is more interested in furthering the art than he is the pocketbook,.. so being on a similar page he has come to fit into the family rather well, if not by complete accident.

Our speaker line follows a creative path that exploits the potential of multiple speaker designs that we find to work well with our amplifiers.  The goal is and has always been to find affordable ways to let you hear the inner beauty hidden in our amplifiers… inner beauty only able to be fully appreciated on high efficiency, low mass speakers which we offer in great variety.  

We’re not interested in “good, better, best” marketing strategies in the choices we make for interesting loudspeakers to offer.  This includes our own speaker designs which follow no apparent design patten other than efficiency. In fact, when our cabinet maker’s obsession and expertise with the radial driver pushed the sound quality of our Radial speakers up a whole plateau and subsequently inspired him to to create his own hybrid design, the HR-1, well it was so good we had to carry it.

Recently we did the similar thing with another small manufacture who makes an open baffle for under $500 that is simply overwhelming good. I know of nothing for the money that will touch it. We decided to add it to our line of speakers this year and sales have been great.

When it comes to Omega loudspeakers, based on our own customer feedback representing the entire Omega line, I would have been happy to carry any of the models, so you can imagine the surprise when I was informed that Louis was working on a brand new loudspeaker design just for the occasion!

This new speaker (under I imagine some pressure to be exceptional) has stepped up to the plate in a big way.  Ironic for such small drivers… it’s just been hard to wrap my head around this new speaker.  For someone who lives this stuff nearly seven days a week for the past twenty years, I only have one other speaker that I have ever had any problem wrapping my head around within a few weeks if not hours.  This is one of them.

For starters, it has four inch drivers in it.  There are two drivers per cabinet.  One of the two drivers is low-passed with a high quality inductor somewhere around 500 Hz which makes a lot of sense.  

What is particularly puzzling about this speaker is it’s efficiency.  These new speakers are actually around 99 dB with 1 watt!  That means that the raw 4 inch drivers have to be around 96 dB by themselves and if not impossible must certainly be extremely rare.  Now, if you take into consideration that the drivers are achieving bass response in this cabinet well into the mid 30’s ( just based on listening…) you quickly come to realize that this should be impossible.  

To have a 4 inch driver be 96 dB efficient with 1 watt typically means that you have a mid range driver at best with very little if any mid bass.  To go into the mid bass region and maintain this efficiency would be impressive enough, but to go below that by a full octave is just ridiculous.   Yet it’s happening.  

After chatting with Louis about this, he informed me that the cone and surround for this 4 inch driver is only 1.5 grams.  To put this in perspective, the average 15 inch woofer has a moving mass of 80 grams or more.  A 10 inch woofer typically used in todays hi-fi speakers of all price points, is about 50 grams.  A soft dome tweeter is closer to the 1.5 grams… so you can start to put two and two together here and see that a full range driver, i.e., one that does the treble, midrange, mid bass and low bass, that comes from a 1.5 gram cone is going to have the speed of a tweeter and yet some how be more efficient and go 8 octaves lower is proof that the Audio Gods like Louis. : )

The closest thing in speed I’ve ever heard to these speakers are my full range direct coupled high voltage electrostatic loudspeakers, which are interestingly the other speaker I mentioned having trouble wrapping my head around.  The common denominator of these two speakers is speed.  My Acoustat’s actually have  about the same 1.5 grams of diaphragm weight giving them similar characteristics from a speed perspective.  

The speed of either speaker is completely disarming.  You don’t ever get used to it. Basically these are like a pair of headphones for your listening room… and the dynamic resolution across the scale is dumbfounding… at least to these ears.  It is a speaker that gives a Decware SET amplifier the dynamic explosiveness usually only heard in super high power systems with enormously large speakers.  I heard a vintage Zen Triode amp have that leading edge attack of a current day Zen Mystery Amp that boast 20 times the power.  The new UFO Zen’s are almost over the top with resolution… you’ve been warned. : )

That brings me to the size, which is ideal.  It fits into the family of speakers on the web page without stepping on any toes, and is large enough to kick a little ass, yet small enough to be non-dominating in even smaller rooms.

The burn-in period I estimate to be between 100 and 500 hours depending on the resolution of your gear and room, as well as perhaps your choice of recordings.  These speakers are a high resolution microscope on the music, source, amps and cables.  From a speed standpoint, they are essentially like speakers that don’t exist leaving you with the almost honest truth as your room distorts it, unlike headphones that will eliminate much of the damaging effects of poor room acoustics.  I mention this so you understand that this is a speaker with the resolution of a headphone located in your listening room, so some attempts must be made to make the room half way smooth sounding, and the audio gear must be well above average sounding.

With your ducks-in-a-row, as alluded to above, these speakers will undoubtably set a new benchmark for resolution.  I have to stop again and say that in 20 years of looking for 4 inch high efficiency full range drivers I have never found anything on the planet that goes lower than 50 Hz on a good day, with more sensitivity than about 91dB.  

The 4 inch drivers in these well executed cabinets are truly rare and memorable in what they do with a zen amp at 99dB.  In fact, so much so, that even if you didn’t like the sound you would still demo it to your friends because they have performance that simply can’t be discounted or ignored.

Watch for this speakers to appear on the Decware web site in early 2016.  Price is under apparently under 3K.

I want to leave you with this thought;  Imagine having a pair of speakers in your listening room tonight… and each one contains only a single pair of 1.5 gram soft dome tweeters that somehow go down to below 40 Hz and are 99 dB efficient with only 1 watt !!!!!!!!!  It’s insane right?  Turn them on and you have rarely heard speed that is the same throughout the audio band, usually only achievable with electrostatic speakers, which ironically unless the size of a door, need slow 50 gram woofers for bass.  

This Omega is just a very unique niche speaker that exploits what the SET amplifier can truly do. I’m almost disturbed that after 20 years even our own speakers have barely grazed this efficiency and certainly not in such a diminutive size. A diminutive size that stands on it’s own without the need or desire for bass augmentation or a subwoofer.  

Anyway, that’s my take on the speakers after 30 days of listening.

So from here I will shift to creating a web page for them, a page that will be somewhat challenging to write due to the difficult to believe claims I’m making but I guess that fits in with the Decware Hi-fi underground rather well so once it’s on the web site we’ll notify everyone on our customer appreciation list with an opportunity to pre-order before the web page goes public.  Since these speakers are built to order, getting your order in early translates into getting your stuff sooner.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #65 - 01/02/17 at 00:19:57

We're getting closer!  $2295.00 a pair with level one finish and $2495.00 a pair with level two finish.
Shown is the Level Two finish in dark Cherry.

Happy New Year!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 01/02/17 at 05:57:19

I have to say that's a good looking loudspeaker.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #67 - 01/10/17 at 20:54:31

The page is nearing completion, and just as a reminder, once it's approved by Louis at Omega, I'll be sending the page link to everyone on the Decware Customer Appreciation List (linked to at the bottom of the forum).  That way our customers will have first dips on ordering.  Remember these speakers are built to order, so hypothetically if 10 people order in the first day, the first person to order could get his speakers in 6 weeks, while the tenth person might be waiting twice that long or more... so it's a first come first serve scenario.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #68 - 01/17/17 at 05:21:43

I sent out the link to people on the list tonight so they can get their orders in and secure their place on the list.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #69 - 01/17/17 at 21:20:56

I find it so interesting that Steve still mentions his Acoustat electrostatic speakers in his writing. I found Decware researching Acoustat Four's over 10 years ago. I had a buddy who had a pair that were flipping amazing (in a so-so room) and was looking into securing a pair and all the up keep that would be needed....one thing led to another while reading Steve's articles and now I have a closet filled with glowing Decware gear and Omega speakers. Not missing the Acoustat any more. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #70 - 01/18/17 at 04:51:37

Here is the link to the page where you can order the speakers.  I'll link to it from the site menu soon.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/Omega1.html

Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #71 - 01/19/17 at 01:46:38

Steve - do you have any intentions of carrying more of the Omega line?

I'm considering selling my Zu Audio Omens and trying an Omega.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #72 - 01/20/17 at 03:02:13

Yes, we hope to carry several of the Omega speakers as we get time to add them into the fold.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #73 - 01/20/17 at 03:07:20

SHIPPING on the new Omega speakers is getting fine tuned so if you have been checking the shipping rates in the cart PRIOR to this post, they were likely wrong, and probably too high.

WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 01/24/17 at 03:24:10

Well, I finally did it!  Sold my Cary amp and ordered a SE84UFO2 and the SUPER3 HO XRS.

My system, with the exception of the source and power conditioner will be an all Decware System:

ZDSD, CSP3, SE84UFO2, and the new SUPER3 HO XRS.  All the cables, power, IC's and speaker will also be Decware.  The ERR's that I have will be put aside for a while, not planning to sell them at this time, just in case.

When I say "I finally did it" it's not just about making the decision to go for the SUPER3 HO XRS.  This decision making process started over 3 years ago during which time Steve patiently addressed my scepticism regarding low power, 1st watt ideology.  After slowly proving this out... "I finally" have gone from high power systems with inefficient speakers to the above.

This ought to be interesting...

Cheers

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #75 - 01/24/17 at 03:40:48

That's going to be an amazing system!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #76 - 02/12/17 at 20:02:30

Anyone out there have a pair on order ~ care to comment on the lead time?
8, 10 or 12 weeks?

I'm ordering an ZROCK when Steve's ready to sell/list link.

Then, in August, Decware Omega's. I need to hear them in my Room, my Gear and have skin in the game if they are or not my cup of tea.
....skin in game = freight to and from and 10% restocking fee.

OR, for approx. the same aggregate cost .... Me and the girlfriend can grab a local hotel and by appt with Steve....go to Peoria and have a listen this summer. Obviously, I won't be in my Room, but I can bring a couple things and still get a good if not great assessment of them.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 02/15/17 at 01:16:14

Stone,
I have a pair on order.  It's been about 4 weeks.  Haven't heard anything yet.

But Steve did warn me not to compare the Omegas with my ERR's until the Omegas have at least 250 hrs. burn in.  Evidently, they can take up to 500 hrs. to burn in.  So it'll be months before I can give any meaningful comment.

To exacerbate matters I'll be burning in a new Zen Select at the same time. Assuming I get everything by the end of March or mid April it could be June, July or even August before I could do any serious listening.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #78 - 02/15/17 at 17:44:11

It might be a little edgy, but I'm betting you'll get some serious listening in!

I expect you'll be surprised at the resolution and speed.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #79 - 02/15/17 at 18:09:43

Cool Joman, look forward to your impressions in August or September.

Heck, I just shed my PreAmp syndrome back in June for my ZMA, after 2.5 years of ownership/ now 3+ years (even though I played around with three others the past 7 months). Don't need one, with the seasoning of my ZMA and seasoning of the Caps in my Adagio's.

However, the ZROCK intrigues me....and it's not a Preamp and I'll use in and out of my Chain.

Till then...... .

PS ~ the PAC-S's intrigued me too! So, I have a pair arriving today. However, instead of hooking up in my Mid-Fi Rig as planned....I'm going to start in my Listening Room........ .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #80 - 05/13/17 at 01:22:05

So now that the speakers are on the site, and starting to sell, I thought I'd update this thread with a link to a ongoing review from a new customer...

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1488602951

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #81 - 06/06/17 at 01:52:21

Just a followup after having these in my room for several months and getting to demo them several times:

So far each of the demo's I have given with these have had similar reactions of complete amazement. Also I have found they sound quite a bit different in different locations around the room. The first several demos had a small peak at 4 kHz that gave them an itchy quality with lots of music. Now on the other end of the Decware Listening Room, this doesn't seem to be the case and what a fun speaker to demo!

Today I demo'd them and was almost asked to prove there was no bass augmentation or subs hidden around the room. Gotta love that : )

Now that I've created a support board for them here on the forum we might see some impressions from customers who've purchased them.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print