Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:29:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stereo Times Review of Betsy (Read 10423 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Stereo Times Review of Betsy
11/19/16 at 04:47:44

Welcome to the Betsy Support Forum.  Betsy Web Page: https://www.decware.com/newsite/Caintuck.html

If you want to know what a Betsy Loudspeaker can do, or what it is, the quickest way is to put on a pair of good headphones and watch the video on the web page.

The Betsy's from Caintuck Audio are a speaker created from the very best karma which explains why the first reviewer we sent them to purchased a pair on the spot. The REVIEW FOR THE BETSY from STEREO TIMES can be read at Stereo Times from the following link: http://www.stereotimes.com/post/caintuck-audio-betsy-openbaffle-loudspeakers/

The speakers simply defy all reason and only cost $450 a pair.  Definitely read the review and watch the video!

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
geezerrocket
Verified Member

Re: The Amazing Betsy Open Baffle Loudspeakers
Reply #1 - 12/02/16 at 05:40:54

Hi all;

I built a pair of Betsy's last night and thought I would share a video.

I built my pair out of solid 1-3/8" maple with chamfered edges along the perimeter as well as relieving the back of the driver cutout.

I understand that Randy builds these things to a price point so I am not critical of the plywood spec for the commercially available Betsy's using it.

I knocked up a pair in 20 minutes using some 3/4" Baltic birch I had laying around, but I ultimately wasn't happy with the amount vibration so I went with solid maple - YMMV.

https://youtu.be/mhQidURwrlE

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #2 - 12/02/16 at 19:34:49

Cool video ..... well worth watching .....

I have talked to geezerrocket via telephone and exchanged a couple of emails.  Good guy ..... and we hope to have him join us at the Decware Zen Fest 2017.

As mentioned, my offerings are (at least partially) based on a price point ..... as well as size and weight considerations for shipping and size and weight for ease of movement.
This is a big consideration for many buyers who have to take into account the crucial WAF (wife acceptance factor) .....

In the listening tests with my baffles, I didn't detect a huge sonic difference in the type or thickness of materials used for the baffles ..... at least at the volume levels I normally listen at.

Having said that, there are ways to cut down on vibration discussed on a "questions" page found on my website here for those who are interested.

Having a nice selection of various plywood veneers as well as the Sapele hardwood works for most potential buyers ..... however from the beginning I have encouraged those with woodworking skills and tools to build their own baffles and enjoy the pride of creation and ownership.

For those who don't, a modest investment makes possible a nice look into the wonders of a high efficiency single driver dipole point source loudspeaker system that works amazingly well with the SE84UFO ..... or any of the other fine Decware amplifiers.

Happy listening,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
geezerrocket
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/03/16 at 20:24:07

Thanks for the kind words Randy.

A bit on the vibration I detected with the "beta" models I made:

The 3/4" plywood I used was not braced in anyway, nor was it attached to a big piece of wood like the 2" × 12" that Caintuck employs in their design. I'm sure the mass of the 2" × 12" base adds substantial mass and thus helps with damping. I'm positive the models available via Caintuck/Decware sound superb.

Now for a bit more about the driver(s) themselves for those out there who may be considering buying a pair of Betsy's - For shit sakes just do it !

If you like we'll recorded, or even marginally recorded normal music, these things punch so far above their price class that's it's laughable. As I stated in the video; I've had bigger bar tabs than what these cost - I'm shameless.

If your musical tastes run toward artists like Marc Cohn, Jennifer Warnes, Norah Jones, Chris Jones, Cat Stevens, Dire Straits, or anything like that, you'll go nuts for 'em.

Any jazz, voice, swing, bop, big band - you'll love them.

If you want to play Metallica, Rush, Scorpions, Rap, hip-hop......You can, but you have to play them at sane listening levels or you will bottom the drivers out.

They will play with solid state, but they won't sound like anything that resembles music - just saying.

S.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 12/03/16 at 21:39:52

Quote:
The 3/4" plywood I used was not braced in anyway, nor was it attached to a big piece of wood like the 2" × 12" that Caintuck employs in their design. I'm sure the mass of the 2" × 12" base adds substantial mass and thus helps with damping. I'm positive the models available via Caintuck/Decware sound superb.

Indeed, without both the base AND the brass handle, both of which act as stiffeners, combined with the curved sides which keep standing vibrations from building up along the edge, a plain 3/4 board is unlistenable. Just removing the brass handle from the back will completely compromise the resonance of the baffle. Don't let ol' Randy fool you, he knows what he's doing. The saying comes to mind; "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”  – Leonardo da Vinci

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 12/03/16 at 21:47:51

Forgot to say... Great Video!

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 12/15/16 at 20:18:13

I have a pair of Betsy drivers in my possession right now. And I have a pair of 18" drivers I'm putting in sealed boxes. Just sorting out my garage workshop so I can start cutting wood and join the OB club.

Thanks Randy for showing off these great speakers at Decfest. They were such a great surprise! And this coming from someone who doesn't like OBs.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 12/15/16 at 20:19:26

Stacy - that's a great video!

P.S. You need some room treatment. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print