Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:42:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggestions for Speakers for Mini Torii (Read 5425 times)
FarmBoss

Suggestions for Speakers for Mini Torii
10/27/16 at 02:20:59

So I have a Mini Torrii that I have used mostly as a headphone amp.  I have set it up in my basement and have a bunch of vintage speakers I have run.  Large Advants, Warfdale, and currently am using KLH model 17's.  For some reason I really dig the sound out of the 17's.  I know these speakers are probably 40 years old and am considering getting something a bit more current.  I have the pendragons on my ZMA and think they are great.  I have considered ZU superfly's but not sure about the 16 vs 8 ohm.  I think the Mini is for 8 ohm?  and the ZU wants 16. or vice versa.

Not committed to anything just looking for some ideas.  This rig will mostly play big band and jazz.

IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Re: Suggestions for Speakers for Mini Torii
Reply #1 - 10/27/16 at 20:46:35

WWW   IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #2 - 10/28/16 at 01:22:28

I love this idea!  I do a lot of woodworking and have a bunch of quartersawn oak from a huge tree that died a couple years ago.  I went to the DYI page and see the HDT listed but I don't see plans only the prebuilt models.  The other speakers listed have both prebuilt and plans.  Anybody know if these plans are still available?

IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #3 - 01/13/17 at 02:21:46

My speakers are done.  I have put the driver in one of them and hooked it up to my ZMA.  Sound is really different than the Pentdragons.  Kind of like a sports car vs a muscle car.  The HDT is more revealing and super fast.  I didn't have the time this evening to install the other driver yet.  I will hook them up to an old solid state amp and run them in for a week before I give them a real comparison.

I plan on hooking the HDT's to my Mini Torri eventually but the ZMA was more easily available to test them out.  I am pretty excited and I can tell they are going to be something great.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 01/13/17 at 17:35:30

Nice!

You have a build log or at least photos or something? I'd really love to see this!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #5 - 01/20/17 at 01:38:13

I always think I should take pictures as I go but I never have my camera around the workshop.  I think they turned out pretty nice, and they sound really nice.  Great project to do.  

speaker_1_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/20/17 at 02:32:54

Now that's a cool looking speaker. It has that vintage vibe going on. What's the gap on the top board for?
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print