03/29/24 at 01:28:24 

Poll
Question: Preferred Ohm switch setting

Forward
Backward

« Created by: Barnharty on: 10/23/16 at 15:40:35 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preferred Ohm switch setting (Read 13215 times)
Barnharty
Ex Member

Preferred Ohm switch setting
10/23/16 at 15:40:35

I just got my first Decware and there seems to be a huge difference between these two settings. I'm curious what you people prefer.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Re: Preferred Ohm switch setting
Reply #1 - 10/23/16 at 17:42:30

Interesting. For me the difference is not huge at all. Very subtle shift actually. I prefer the 8 ohm for my 8 ohm speakers. Seems somewhat laid back in comparison to the 4 ohm but ears adjust and it is less fatiguing over time.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/23/16 at 20:46:36

I think the difference is very speaker dependent. I find each of the positions on my Torii with my HR-1s to be a viable choice. My speakers fall in homage about dead center between the two positions so each is good. I prefer the position with the switch towards the front, but with another tube complement and different room placement of the speakers I could easily leave it in the other position. A very useful tool for tailoring the sound.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/24/16 at 01:04:15

That's interesting. I have my Zen select hooked up to a pair of Cornwalls and when I move the switch from forward to backward, it's like all of the music that was around me and filling the room was suddenly pushed back and it's far behind the speakers and the fine detail isn't there anymore. The back position isn't bad, it's smoother and nice for late night listening, but for me and maybe it's my speakers and listening room, the two options sound like two different amplifiers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/24/16 at 01:22:23

Well it would be interesting to know what ohmage your speakers are rated and where that falls in terms of the speaker switches. As I said mine at 6 ohms falls right in between the values for the two switches. Pursuit of now finds the 8 ohm clearly preferable to the 4 ohm position in use with his 8 ohm speakers.

I hear clearly different signatures, the one I prefer is a bit more laid back and less "hot" seeming, that's my preference, but I can live with the other signature comfortably especially if I roll a few tubes and adjust the input bias switch. So we may be hearing similar differences, just expressing the differences differently. And I'm talking of using a Torii Mk III, which is a different amp topology as well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/24/16 at 15:55:24

I'm running Omega Super Alnico monitors (8 ohm) wired in parallel with 15" LoFOB's (Low Frequency Open Baffles, 8 ohm). So my SE84UFO sees the equivalent of a 4 ohm load in this configuration.

Ohm selector switches set to forward position and I'm sitting in the music. More like being transported into the original recording space. More Space, Depth, Dynamics (Live).

Ohm selector switches set to Reward position and I'm listening to a recording. Instead of flooding the room, the soundstage retreats to the front of the room. Less Space, Depth, Dynamics (Live? Not so much).

In my system it's a big difference. I'm using an Oppo 105D as my source. A minimalist system, Oppo + SE84UFO + Speakers.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/14/16 at 23:16:51

Will setting your amp at the 4ohm setting hurt either the amp or the speakers if they are rated at 8ohms?

IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/18/16 at 05:56:24

I've been told before that it won't harm anything. And Steve's advice for which setting you should choose is basically, whichever one sounds best.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/03/17 at 02:45:37

I've had Zens before and I always had the selector in the forward (hot) position. It just sounds better; more life, energy and verve.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/14/17 at 03:04:07

this has always been something i wrestled with because my zu audio omens are 12 Ohms.  whats a fella to do in this situation?  i basically play around with the settings every night.  LOL!  ;D

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 06/14/17 at 05:06:09

The very best thing you can know about the speaker impedance switches is that they are a high/low switch vs. a specifically 4 or 8 ohm switch. On average one position will favor 2~6 ohm speakers and one will favor 6 to 16 ohm speakers. This favoritism is determined by performance, i.e.., how much power the amplifier will put out. This may or may not correlate with the best sound, especially if you are not running your amp near clipping. For this reason it is best to always refer to the switch as being set towards the front and towards the rear with no reference to ohms, and for that matter there is no need to know or worry or wonder about the impedance of your speakers with these amplifiers.  Use the switch as a voicing tool and revisit it often.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Barnharty
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/14/17 at 05:33:22

After a lot more use I've come to use the switch almost like a loudness switch. When I'm listening at lower volumes I have them switched forward and it gives me extra clarity and fullness. But, if I'm listening at much higher volume, the forwards switch sounds too bright and uncomfortable, so switching it to the back eases it up without losing any of that detail.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print