Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:24:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
System Brag!  What's your current setup? (Read 30423 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

System Brag!  What's your current setup?
10/19/16 at 17:50:51

One of the reasons people love audio reproduction so much, is all the cool gear. What's fun about being a Digital Audiophile, is that those of us that are computer savvy can leverage these great leaps in technology and our knowledge to make them go, with cool gear and clever software, with some networking thrown in.

This thread is for bragging about your current Digital Audiophile system...which some of us do a lot anyways - (Stone, I'm looking in your general direction! LOL). Not just what DAC you are using, but tell us about the computer, software, networking, whatever...even if it's just an iPhone to a pocket-DAC to headphones! Share what makes it work and why you chose what you did, and How Does it Sound!?!

Hopefully this will help out those just getting started, and not scare those who aren't super computer savvy....because we all know, this can be as easy or complex as we want it to be (or our budgets allow! LOL)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: System Brag!  What's your current setup?
Reply #1 - 10/19/16 at 23:40:31

OK, I'll step up and tell you what I'm running.
I'll start with my "garage stereo" whose whole purpose is to piss off my neighbors. It is a Dell Inspiron with a i3 processor running Ubunto and JRiver 21, a cheap USB cable into my Wadia 151 PowerDAC. From there some Audio Quest cables that I had laying around, into my oversize DM945 clones. It plays loud and sounds better than anything that you can buy at Best Buy by a factor of about 4.25. Lol
My "Main" stereo starts with a Dell black box (I see no model designation)  with a i5 processor and 1tb worth of SSD's and 12 gb of RAM. Windows 10(hate it) JRiver 20 and JRiver 22 (I'm having a hard time with 22, getting settings right is taking quite a bit of time). USB out with a Mapleshade USB cable to my Wyred 4 Sound DAC. Mapleshade interconnects to my Torii 3, Mapleshade Golden Helix speaker wires to my homemade OB speakers.
I've been running at least a version of this setup for 4-5 years now. I guess the only thing I haven't changed is my Torii. I bought the Torii for life!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 10/20/16 at 17:49:30

I didn't realize you were so Computer Savvy, Donnie! That Dell system must be *quick* with all that SSD storage!!

I guess I'll chime in - I'm trying not to hog (or be the only poster! LOL) the Digital section now that I've got a few posts in and people are starting to check it out.

So, my setup is currently in flux. And I'm super broke right now, so I'm trying to work with what I have...but considering splurging on new software.

As I mentioned in my why I got into digital thread, I started down the rabbit hole when I realized my Oppo BDP-105 had these great networking playback and USB featuers. And I had this giant PC stuffed with hard drives that was my "file server". Once I realized my Oppo worked better as a network media player; I moved my noisy File Server from the living room where it was connected to my Home Theater recevier via HDMI, I moved it down to the basement (Laundry Room) where I have a small network rack that housed my router, switches and such. Over a 3 months period I ripped all my CDs to FLAC and dumped on the file server and was playing them via the Oppo.

Around that same time I heard the ZMA, which floored me, and it did everything I wanted from a midweight amp. That really sent me down the path of getting serious about my audio setup. I sold an expensive acoustic guitar, a Porsche 914 that had been sitting in storage for 10 years, and a couple paychecks, and ordered the ZMA.  My File server was having issues, so I splurged and got a Synology 8 bay NAS which I transferred all my "file server" hard drives to. Then, I heard the PS Audio DirectStream DAC, which also floored me (and has gotten quite a bit better via Firmware/OS updates). Through some happenstance and persuasion, I got a fat 30% off discount from Paul McGowen, and got a2 years same as cash financing deal through Music Direct here in Chicago...otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it! In fact, I only just recently paid it off, about 5 months ahead of schedule.

So my super-system had suddenly (and expensively) evolved to the Decware ZMA, PS Audio DirectStream, and Synology NAS....which prompted me to start working on a dedicated audio PC. Palomino was already doing something like this with his Mac Mini, but I'm a PC guy. So I got a refurb Lenovo Tiny Form Factor PC, dropped a 40GB SSD in it, loaded Windows Server 2012 and Audiophile Optimizer 1.3 set as best as I could, with Foobar2000. The PC choices were made because I had basically no money and was doing some computer repair side jobs to afford what I could. Refurb PC, Audiophile Optimizer software were about $250 together, Server 2012 was basically free because I was part of a testing program (And required for AO), Foobar2000 because it was free, and 40GB SSD because I already had it from a laptop I sold to afford all this stuff. LOL. I felt the power supply might be holding the PC back, so I splurged on an industrial, linear power supply that I scored for like $40, then dropped $75 in upgraded parts to make it more of an audiophile piece...and it did in fact improve the sound a hair...less noise coming down the USB.

After the DirectStream and ZMA, the Oppo had pretty much been relegated to Home Theater only; as clever as it is, it sounded etched compared to the much more refined DirectStream.

TL;DR version

So my music is on a NAS stuffed with 2TB hard drives. Music is being played back via Foobar2000 in Windows Server 2012 with AO via USB to the DirectStream. I was controlling it with a laptop that was just using Windows Remote Desktop into the server to click away at Foobar2000. Then of course out of the DirectStream to the ZMA via Balanced cables, from ZMA to my trusty Decware MG944.

Going Forward

So, I said my system was in flux...I was lucky enough to be a beta tester for the PS Audio Bridge II. I hear that PS Audio and Roon work well together via this Bridge II network connection, and at the same time someone offered to buy my Lenovo Tiny Form Factor PC from me to build an Audio Server of their own. Plus, Roon now has a Synology NAS Core software!  So I've Sold my Tiny Form Factor PC, I'm running Roon on my NAS, controlling it via the Roon App on my Android phone, and it's coming through via the network on my Bridge II. It sounds really good, but my NAS simply doesn't have the horsepower to run Roon as well as it should, so my searches are super sluggish, and I occasionally get dropouts, and worst yet...Roon isn't "discovering" my new music when I add it to the MUSIC folder on the NAS. So when I'm all excited to listen to a new album, the software just isn't finding it for hours, if not days!

I do like the Roon software, but I need more horsepower to run it than my NAS has, so I'm going to be going back to a Tiny Form Factor PC with an i5 Processor and Windows 10. Except this time I'm running Roon and going via network rather than Foobar2000 via USB. I'm also considering purchasing HQ Player (about $150) software as a birthday present to myself and try upsampling out to the DirectStream (which might force me back to USB as I think the Bridge II can't handle DSD128 and higher)

Sorry so long winded (as usual) - just lots going on with the digital front recently. Hell, I've not even talked about considering picking up a budget Chinese DAC that does DSD256 or 512 for my computer desk/spare bedroom system...I mean, I do have this little Zen amp sitting here after all.    :D

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 10/20/16 at 22:59:20

LR,
Ha, me computer savvy, not even close.
The kids that work for me are the reason I have anything that works.
I am good at following directions and being able to generate enough cash to purchase what I'm told to buy.
I splurged for the SS drives because of the performance improvements we saw with our CAD systems at work. I figured that if it was good enough for Creo, it would be good enough for my old ears.
Have you considered Ubunto or Linux to bump up the performance of your server?
Ubunto did wonders for my laptop in my garage stereo. it runs much faster without all of the Windows garbage bogging it down. A kid at work had a disk and we loaded it up over lunch one day. Painless.
I do take care of the young guys that help me out with this stuff, one of them currently is borrowing my MG944's. I'm kind of funny that way, I never sell any of my old stuff, I just give it away. Hell, I gave away my first DAC, a ZenDAC.
I might be worth buddying up with! Lol

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 10/21/16 at 18:25:20

I've never really had a use for Linux, but dabbled in the past. If I go with HQ Player, the Linux license is a little more expensive than the Windows only version (I think the Linux license covers Mac/Linux and Windows).

I started building my new TFF PC with Windows 10 last night. I didn't put an SSD in it, but I probably should. I'm basically gearing up to download the demo of HQ Player software and see how it sounds. Since it too Integrates with Roon, it all sort of works out, no matter what OS I use. Linux does make sense though. Windows 10 is just "easier"...but that's only because I'm used to it. I may just have to give it a whirl!

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 10/21/16 at 22:37:27

LR,
For giggles download the free 30 day trial of JRiver 22. It sure does anything I have ever needed in a Media center.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/25/16 at 09:28:35

Main System (used for both 2 Channel Audio and Video):

Amp = Decware Taboo MK II or Decware Zen Select
Preamp = McIntosh C220
Source 1 = Rega RP6 TT
Source 2 = McIntosh D100 DAC/Digital Preamp
Source 3 = RadioShack DAC (plugged into my cable box)
Speakers = Omega RS7
Subs = Rythmik Audio
Cables = Mix of Decware, Zen Wave and Wireworld
Power= Monster Power Center HTS3600
PC = Asus VivoPC (via USB to the Mac DAC)
Monitor = Samsung 65" HDTV
NAS = Western Digital MyCloud 2TB
Playback Software = JRiver MC 22

I have a few network switches in the mix and strung throughout the house as well.

Bedroom System (used for both 2 Channel Audio and Video):

Integrated Amp = Rega Brio-R
Source = Rega DAC
Speakers = I have some no name cheapy ones in there right now, but possibly the Omega Super 3 Desktop in the future or I was actually thinking about some BBC type ones like the LS3/5
Sub = AudioEngine S8
Cables = Rega
Power= Cheapo Power Strip / Surge Protector
PC = Custom Built (by me) Gaming PC with Xenon Processor, Pretty much all high end stuff by MSI motherboard and MSI/AMD based Video Card. Configured for Raid and lots of memory, yada, yada, yada.
Monitor = Samsung 27" HDTV
NAS = Western Digital MyCloud 2TB (same NAS as the main system above)
Playback Software = JRiver MC 22

Pretty much can watch movies and play music anywhere in the house that matters to us.  My son also has a partial system put together with a Technics TT and also has access the NAS, plus we have our printer networked as well, etc.

Aside from having to work on my back pain constantly through yoga and different types of physical training and exercises ~ I kind of flip flop between my other 3 main hobbies which are guns, PC gaming, and audio/video.  No particular order they kind of just ebb and flow to me ... lately I've been lagging on the A/V side of things and playing more with my AR-15 and Glock (old salty dog sailor what can I say Wink).

I did however recently purchase a Shunyata MPC-12C power conditioner and Venom HC power cable for the main system (which I should receive Wednesday) I was able to get both as demo units for a really great price.  Even though I got them on the cheap ~ I will scrutinize the shit out of these when they get here though as I'm not 100% convinced that they're going to make a huge enough difference that would warrant the cost.

I'm also having a pair of custom built Omega "Ouitlaw" Loudspeakers that will incorporate Louis' best drivers (the AlNiCo Hempcones) and Rythimik subs.  These are what I'm most excited about, but since they are custom made the ETA on these are still a bit far off.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 10/25/16 at 19:01:58

Quote:
LR,
For giggles download the free 30 day trial of JRiver 22. It sure does anything I have ever needed in a Media center.

I've used it in the past, and while it's got a great interface, I'm looking for better sound quality, and I'd like to dabble in upsampling to DSD...which HQ Player does. Plus HQ Player interfaces with Roon, which I'm playing with right now.

I started building my TFF PC, I had one with Windows 10 already on it, and just stuffed it with 16GB of fast RAM, but it didn't have an SSD. It just needed some updates and it's ready. Next to try out some software and setup the spare bedroom with diffusers.  :)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 10/26/16 at 17:42:15

Great Thread LR. Yeah, I'm guilty as charged. I don't mean to come off like that....I will cool it. LOL
"This thread is for bragging about your current Digital Audiophile system...which some of us do a lot anyways - (Stone, I'm looking in your general direction! LOL)."

But seriously, great Thread. I'm up for learning. I would like to start Ripping my CD Collection to a hard drive and access it to ZDSD for starter's?

I don't really know where to start? I don't know what I want to do in the arena of computer, software, networking, whatever..... .

Glad you're back in full force on the Forum Eric. Your absence was duly noted.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/28/16 at 01:07:20

LR thanks for launching this new forum topic. I’m very interested to learn more in this area, and have many of the same questions as SoT.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 10/28/16 at 20:57:16

Awesome - I'm glad this section is getting some traction.

Please, start a thread asking questions, even if it's as simple as "I want to  rip all my CDs". And when i have time, I'll write up my (rather wordy) little posts and see if I can help out.

The technology and software is constantly changing, so sometimes I need to research something myself to see what's *currently* the best or at least recommended for doing things. Either way, i'm happy to share what I know and help research!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/31/16 at 19:15:15

2010 Mac mini
- 500 GB SSD
-  8 GB RAM
- External linear power supply

Raven's USB cord (forget the brand) into a Uptone Audio Regen powered by a linear power supply then a Curious USB cable into a Chord Qute DAC.

I run Audirvana 2.5.4.

My iTunes library resides on the SSD.  My higher res stuff currently on an SD card since I fried my external 2T firewire drive.

I launch Audirvana off of a ram disk that mounts at startup.  Also, if I am really being anal, I copy the music to a ram disk before landing into Audirvana.

Audrivana automatically shuts down a lot of the background processes when run so as to minimize the stuff that can impact SQ.

My current duo core mini does not have the horsepower to keep up with the DSD upsamping in Audirvana so I am looking at upgrading to an i5 or i7 mini.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 10/31/16 at 19:23:50

I'm holding off on computer audio (once again). Next year, around this time/might persue. I do create DSD recordings here and there, with my ZDSD which is very cool.

Right now, the Linear Tube Audio ZOTL2.0, has me to intrigued not to get it and try it out! See my post in the ZMA Forum.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 10/31/16 at 20:35:35

I'll brag that I have the easy breezy disc system for my digital. With my PS Audio PerfectWave Transport (and starting tomorrow the PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player) and several SACD players I have wonderful sound, better sound than I have ever personally heard from a computer audio system, and I don't do "music on the go" or download, legally or illegally from the internet, so I'm good and have no desire to move in that direction.

:D

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/31/16 at 21:22:26

Come on Lon, real listening involves pain!  You are not experiencing the hobby if you haven't had to re-rip your entire CD collection after a hard drive failure;D

Interested in your thoughts on the new player.  I probably won't go back to the spinning disk but I am fascinated with that technology.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 10/31/16 at 21:46:26

i'll certainly view my impressions of the new player. Looking forward to it mostly because it should allow my SACDs (of which I have more than I thought actually) to sound even better.

LOL, I'm not into pain. If I and my collection (and my wife) were twenty years younger I'd probably jump right into digital files etc. feet first. But time is short with me, and I don't want to waste my time ripping. That's exactly what it seems to me, a waste.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #16 - 10/31/16 at 22:58:36

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 10/31/16 at 23:01:46

Ripping never has been that big of a deal for me. I buy a disk, throw it in the 'puter and in a couple of minutes it's done.
I also make sure that I back everything up on 2 external hard drives, just for posterity.
When I first started into computer based audio, I would just load what I was listening to at that time. That way I more or less kept current on what was interesting me at that moment.
I have had marathon ripping sessions, usually I just sit and listen to music and pump a bunch through the system.
I also, gasp, give my CD's away to my friends so I don't have to take up space in my house storing them.
Physical media is dying a rapid death. The kids I work with wouldn't even consider buying a CD, it takes too much effort to keep track of a object.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 11/01/16 at 01:10:54

Well Don I have about 20,000 and I like using them, ripping is a waste of time for me and I'm 61, listening and enjoying my discs make more sense to me as a use of my time, especially as in my system they sound so fantastic. And I find more discs to buy than ever. We're all different, and computer audio is not for me.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 11/01/16 at 17:44:35

I get excited at that the thought of ripping discs, till someone like Lon says 20,000...then my heart sinks.

It took me 3 months to rip about 1000 discs. Granted, I was only doing a few a night, and my ripping method is painfully slow because of error checking.

I'll post how I did it eventually. I also found there is a simple way to rip SACD as an ISO or DSD using my Oppo. So I'm going to archive the few SACD I have as well.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 11/01/16 at 19:50:39

Cool LR. Do tell about your ripping method with error checking. In the -20 temp's coming in Jan and Feb...... . I might get into it/with what I need, etc.... .

Okay, I need to brag a little?  I have a MicroZOTL2.0 coming. Pretty excited!

Oh, I already said this in yesterday's post. See how excited I am?!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #21 - 11/02/16 at 16:53:01

Interesting! I've never heard of Z-OTL. I'll have to read up on that more.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 11/02/16 at 18:05:48

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #23 - 11/02/16 at 18:12:31

Yes LR, check it out. See my Thread in the ZMA Forum.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 11/02/16 at 19:04:58

One day I'll love this album! I've gone from not getting it to sort of digging it to liking it okay to . . .liking it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 11/02/16 at 20:11:42

From Japanese SHM-CD Heavyweight Champion box set.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #26 - 11/02/16 at 20:46:11

Lon's randomly posting in the wrong forum again.  ;)

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 11/02/16 at 20:56:13

Just keeping you on your toes!

I'll make an official contribution to this forum: my system now has a PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player in place of the PS Audio PerfectWave Transport.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/02/16 at 20:57:00

Inquiring minds want to know....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 11/02/16 at 21:00:05

Here is what I wrote this morning about the new DirectStream Memory Player on the PS Audio forum (It has been sounding even better since then):

It’s been 21 hours now since the DMP was installed and plugged in and spinning discs.

Initially, cold off the truck, the unit sounded “fuzzy” and “splashy” in comparison to the well-seasoned PWT. There was a lot of higher frequency energy that was filling spaces that were “black” with the PWT and there was a looser and less overall lower frequency sound in general. This made Redbook sound less satisfying than the overall warmer and tighter presentation from the PWT.

The DMP Redbook playback is very different at the moment. All the “fuzzy” and “splashy” aspects have ended. The “black” spaces may be a bit diminished in presence as there are new minute micro-detail nuances that seem to sneak in to those spaces. The soundstage has bloomed and in comparison to the PWT the soundfield seems a bit denser and yet airier as well. I’m not a “soundstage nut” so I haven’t developed my vocabulary to describe what I hear nor have I as much experience in many changing  impressions as I don’t really tweak for that. The DMP is giving me a new, different presentation that I enjoy, retaining very similar boundaries, but blending the instrumental images a bit more, in a good way, cooperatively, as they sound to me when I am listening in a small club or when I was rehearsing and performing with others in the ‘eighties (yes, I can still remember that far back). So. . . more like real music, making the PWT seem just a bit more “Hifi.” (And before I thought the PWT had the most realistic presentation that I have heard in my home).

I listened to a few well-recorded piano trios as I have played piano, bass and drums in my musical life, after the unit had warmed up some. I agree with Alan W that piano is presented in a superior way on the DMP than the PWT. There is a quicker overall sensation, and as he noted each note is more definitively played. There is also “more” to the sound of contrabass via fingers or bow, as well as more “air” and “burst” to the drum sounds. These are not extreme differences, but more than subtle when noticed and looked for. When just experiencing the music as uncritically as is possible with a new, anticipated component of this stature, there is a lot of energy when tempos are up, and a magnetic drawing in when there is quieter, slower beauty to hear.

So less than a full day in I have to say that as happy as I am and could be still with the PWT, the DMP is a decided improvement as a Redbook transport. Buyer’s remorse never entered my head or heart.
SACD playback. . . initially it was very disconcerting. The presentation was dramatically different than what I have been accustomed to in my system. My best SACD players (from Denon and Arcam) are warm, vinyl-like reproducers. I ease right into the listening. The DMP when just installed was like a speed racer in comparison, detail filling the air and tickling the senses, in that “fuzzy” and “splashy” way the sound had in the first few hours of use. As the unit settled in I was startled a few moments by the realistic and insistent percussion that jumped out at me on the Mobile Fidelity “On the Corner” SACD I was spinning. That was my first sign that SACD playback on the PMD would be something special.

I still need to listen to more SACD and Blu-ray Audio discs to get a handle on the hi-res sound now that the unit has been powered for almost two dozen hours. First SACD today, spinning now, is showing me that the improvements in Redbook sound are mirrored here in SACD playback. Minute details are realistically and appropriately introduced, yielding a dynamic realistic sound, with no “overhang” or added “richness.” This is very reassuring, as I had high hopes for the SACD aspect of the DMP, and I know I will be listening to SACD more often with the DMP in the house.

More impressions later today or tomorrow, but kudos to Paul, Ted and all those responsible for the development and release of the DMP. I’m a happy listener, and I sincerely feel priviledged to be a “beta tester.”

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 11/02/16 at 21:40:02

Thanks.  Sounds promising...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 11/02/16 at 21:55:17

Yes, for me this is the direction to go and it's so nice to be able to listen to SACD from this player and into the DS. I love that I don't have to futz with anything other than this transport and the DS to have a fantastic source for my music listening.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #32 - 11/02/16 at 23:05:47

How does the Direct Stream Player work? Is it reading the disc and putting it into memory to then be sent to the DAC?
I just went to the P.S. Audio site and tried to figure it out but I din't see a description that describes its function.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 11/02/16 at 23:22:34

There is a memory that is the latest incarnation of the "Digital Lens" that was sold many years ago. The real advantage of the Lens shines when you use the I2S connection via HDMI. Thus you have low jitter entering the Lens and much of it eliminated by the Lens. Carried via I2S to the DS with the data and the clock on separate wiring. There's a Lens in the DirectStream as well, further eliminating jitter.

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/the-digital-lens/

The result is the best digital sound I've ever heard. Isn't cheap, but I'm glad I had the money to spend and spent it.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #34 - 11/02/16 at 23:56:16

So basicly you "rip" the disc every time that you play it?
Why would this be better than ripping the disc once and keeping it in memory?
I would think that wear and tear on the disc would eventually come into play. I'm not saying that you use your discs as coasters or anything like that, but they are mechanical devices and things do wear out.
You bring up jitter, wouldn't a digital file eliminate it at the source?
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to see the advantage of spending $6K over a $1K computer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 11/03/16 at 00:44:14

Donnie, I'm not the one to ask all these questions, I'm not a digital engineer. I'm not sure it's just like "ripping" a disc.

I don't get the wear issue. My cds aren't going to wear out. The disc drive is probably not likely to wear out and if it does I'm willing to bet it can be replaced by PS Audio. Drives in the earlier Transport were/are.

I'll tell you one advantage: I don't have to use the computer. I hate music and computers. I don't want to mix them. I don't want to play digital files. I don't want to have anything to do with the process at all. And I see everyone who is into it always futzing. Linear power supplies. Things to clean up the USB power, so much more. With this player I don't have to worry about any of that. And I've never heard a computer based sysetm that matches the sound. It is the perfect match to my DAC which is the centerpiece of my system, giving me Redbook, hi res, tv broadcast sound that is awesome and DVD and Blu-ray sound that is amazing. I had the money and I feel this is an investment for a decade or more of just spinning and enjoying my collection. And i didn't sepnd 6 thousand. I spent 3 thousand.

I'm glad that there are so many embracing computer audio, but it ain't me babe, no no it ain't me babe.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #36 - 11/03/16 at 02:39:47

Quote:
You bring up jitter, wouldn't a digital file eliminate it at the source?

That was exactly the reason why I took the leap down the rabbit hole. I was  shocked at the improvement in dropping the spinning disc.

I think the whole point of the memory drive is that you can keep your discs, and still get the benefit of lower jitter from caching.

That said, there are many other sources of noise and jitter when you're going straight digital. USB, and optical digital have all sorts of jitter in the conversions and transmissions.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print