Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:27:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Post - and WELCOME! (Read 7636 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

First Post - and WELCOME!
10/19/16 at 16:44:27

Thanks everyone for visiting this little section of the Decware forums, the new Digital Audiophile forum! There was quite a bit of talk about Digital music Reproduction at the recent 2016 Decfest, and I've been dabbling in this myself for a few years now - and while I'm no expert, and this is a very quickly growing/evolving form of music playback; I'm going to do my best to share info, and answer questions, and basically share the tips and tricks and my personal progress as I and other Decware fans go further down the rabbit hole of digital audio.

I'll be honest, there is a great forum at ComputerAudiophile that is solely dedicated to this, and it's where I've learned quite a bit from guys that are way smarter than me. But this is Decware, and we tend to do, see, and hear things from a more "Zen" point of view, and I feel that we have a lot to talk about that is glazed over or simply not grasped by your typical audiophile.

My goal here is to have us all share links and info from various sources, and share our own personal explorations in a way that is naturally Zen and Science.

So please, read, ask questions, and share your trials, tribulations and Zen elations in this evolving world of digital audio reproduction!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: First Post - and WELCOME!
Reply #1 - 10/19/16 at 18:25:58

LR,

Is that your ZMA?  What's up with those cool caps covers!?  Something from Steve's hot-rod days?  Like, like!   Cheesy

Also, wondering about the bias meters reading all over the place.

Sorry, nothing about digital in my response.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 10/19/16 at 19:46:09

LOL - it would figure you'd catch the details in the image. I literally just grabbed a photo from searching Google, simply to add some interest to an otherwise boring Welcome post.  ;)  

I didn't even notice any of that till you mentioned it. I just thought it was a nice image.

Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/20/16 at 00:17:19

Now I'll be looking for those chrome cap covers! Cool

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 10/20/16 at 14:40:29

I don't see what you're seeing, it just looks like the normal black caps.

Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/20/16 at 17:11:43

I see that you are right.  The caps looked shiny like stainless steel when I first saw the picture.  A trick of the light.  But now I'm thinking how cool they'd look if they were silver.  I also read a Forum where they were thrashing what Steve said about the design of the ZMA (not it's performance -- they hadn't heard it).  I couldn't understand a lot of it but some made sense.  One guy insisted that the big caps would cook that near the output tubes (and transformers).  I wonder, would a heat shield be advisable?

FYI:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/252999-40w-class-pp-kt66.html  

I think I'll post about this over on the ZMA forum -- didn't mean to sidetrack your digital discussion.   Tongue

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 10/23/16 at 19:02:52

LR- great posts on digital. I was kind of taken off guard by the diyaudio post slamming Decware and Steve. Seems like a bunch of disgruntled wankers. I doubt any of them have heard any Decware gear in a proper system, so we can guess that they are just blowing smoke. Me? I love our Decware system day in and day out it is always making music. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 10/24/16 at 21:47:27

I've run into a lot of guys who are EEs, and quite capable builders, but they are what some people like to call "Math Guys".  They tend to have little imagination and everything is done by the numbers and rarely by the ear.

I think that's part of what I find so fascinating about this Digital Audio stuff...more and more I keep running into things that the math guys and audio skeptics say can't happen, but we hear it...hell, I've even made some of them grudgingly agree they hear things that aren't supposed to be possible.

My favorite saying lately is "everything matters" when it comes to audio. Just because I can't explain it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print