03/28/24 at 10:52:53 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tube Swapping So Far (Read 58088 times)
donovan
Verified Member

Tube Swapping So Far
10/19/16 at 00:34:05

I've had my SE84UFO for a couple months now. After one month I switched out the Chinese ValveArt rectifier for a Soviet "Winged C" 5U4G. This was a big improvement, with the main difference being more "presence" in all frequencies.

My next swap was a pair of NOS Sylvania black plate EL84's. I put these in and fired up the amp and I simply could not believe my ears - what happened to my beautiful Decware sound? These EL84's were awful! Veiled sound, no gain or projection. Just plain muffled. The seller tested them but obviously didn't listen to them in an actual amp. I left them in for several hours and they got worse rather than better. I now appreciate the Soviet 6P15P-EV's that Steve ships with the amp.

I wonder if the Sylvania's were shot or if that is just the way EL84's sound in the SE84UFO? Anybody have EL84 experiences they want to share?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Tube Swapping So Far
Reply #1 - 10/19/16 at 03:28:00

It sounds to me like the EL84's you tried were probably tired. Get yourself a pair of Sovtek EL84M tubes. They are around $20 ea and are probably pretty close to the EL84's I used in the mid 90's when designing the amp. These should be the most smooth, warm, perhaps rolled sounding tubes you can put it the amp. From there a good pair of NOS EL84's would be cleaner with more detail. 6P15P-EB are at the top of heap at any price because they are a video tube that has a more delicate grid. Wider bandwidth and faster with near perfect neutrality is how I would describe the difference resulting in the highest level of detail from top to bottom. The only way to improve would be to have tighter matching and cryo treatment.  Using a conductivity enhancer on the tube pins after you clean them with a pencil eraser is also a nice tweak.

WWW   IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #2 - 10/19/16 at 05:18:03

Donovan.  I went from a Dynaco sca 35 which is an el84 tube based amp. so I tried some of my el84 tube in my SE84UFO2 yup it sounded like an EL84 which is not bad if you like, I much prefer the more neutral sound of the stock tube.   Darrell

IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/27/16 at 08:36:11

Definitely going to try those Sovtek EL84M's!

I bought a USAF 596 rectifier for kicks. Can't wait to try it out but the adapter hasn't arrived from China yet.

IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/02/17 at 01:04:37

Okay, so I tried the "mighty" 596 rectifier with an adapter. It sounded really nice - exactly like my Winged C in fact. I couldn't tell the difference between the two, so I moved the 596 and adapter onto another board member in a trade. The 596 would definitely be an upgrade over the stock Shuguang but not the Winged C 5u4g IMO.

I currently have a Magnavox 9308 amp in my posession, so for fun I took out two Magnavox EL84/6bq5 and tried them in my SE84UFO. Again, a pair of EL84's just didn't shine like the 6P15P-EB's do. They sounded constricted and veiled compared to the soviet tubes.

So for those keeping up, the 6P15P-EB remains undefeated. It must be the gold plated grid that makes the magic happen.  :)  Does anyone know what the difference is between a 6P15P-EB and the 6P15P-EV? Are they the same tube with just a different grading?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/02/17 at 04:53:01

EV and EB are the same designation. Long life shock resistant. Get a nice old US 5U4G coke bottle rectifier. Or use a 5Z3 with an adapter.

Don't waste your time with an EL84 in this amp. It was designed for the other tube so use the tube it was designed for. I tried EL84s in my Zen and they sounded as you wrote, veiled.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/02/17 at 10:43:16

Donovan, I agree with Riv.  After reading about all those who rolled EL-84s in their small Zens, I decided not to and mainly rolled Rectifiers and input tubes.  What I did do was stock up on the Mil Spec Russian tubes as well as the Svetlana brand SV83's while they are relatively cheap....enough for the rest of my life.

In regards to Rectifiers, in my Zen Monoblocks I used 50's RCA 5U4G-STs since I bought them but recently tried and like the RCA 50's 5V4G coke bottle shape.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7 - 04/02/17 at 18:54:43

Yup,  I agree w/Riv and Mark. I only swap the input and rectifiers on my SE84CKC. 5U4's, SV4's all good but for me the Phillips 5R4GYS from Upscale audio and a few 50's RCA black plates are my faves. Also bought a lifetime supply of 6P15P-EV's from russian tube suppliers (make sure you shop for and get EV's or EB's). The pair in my amp are over 2 years old now!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 04/02/17 at 19:02:19

I'll cast one vote for EL84s used in a different Zen amp. I have a C amp modded by Eddie Vaughn that I prefer EL84 tubes in. I don't know if there were mods made that would favor this tube, the only mod I know about done to the amp is the volume control is by-passed. It sounds good with either tube type, but it has a deeper bass and warmer signature with the EL84 type and I prefer to use those when i use this amp (which is not often!) I have used a pair of cryo'd TAD EL84s which I also use in my Taboo Mk III amp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/03/17 at 02:43:53

The 5V4's seem pretty expensive compared with the 5z3 I use as a sub for the 5U4G. You can still find 5Z3 tubes for spit. They are electrically identical to the 5U4; you need an 4 prong to octal adapter that is readily available. For my Torii MK IV I have a pair of Tung Sols; two pair of RCA JAN and various GE and Sylvania singles.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/23/17 at 21:49:06

I have not tried EL84s but have have swapped out input tubes and rectifier tubes. My favorites are bolded.

Input tubes
Amperex picked waist 6922
Amperex JAN 7308 white label
Amperex PQ 6922
Ediswan CV2492
Mullard E188CC

Rectifier tubes
RCA 5Y3GT
Millard GZ32
RCA 5V4G
RCA JAN 5U4G (VT-244)

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #11 - 04/23/17 at 23:45:03

Hello Donovan,

Be advised I have never heard the UFO, but had a SE84CSEX ( 2003 vintage ), which used the transfos for high impedance speakers ( I think they were specced at 9K primary impedance ). I have HDT's so it was a match made in heaven.

Never used the Winged C rectifier, but I have used the stock Ruby 5U4G, the  Valve Art  274B, a NOS  60's vintage RCA black plate5U4G, NOS 50's and 60's  vintage Russian black plate 5U4G ( very scarce on Ebay now ), and an EML 5U4G mesh plate.

Worse ( but still good ) was the Ruby. The Valve Art was better to my ears. I enjoyed them both until I got the rolling itch.

Next came the RCA black plate. To be fair to it, I never got it broken in so it never had a chance to loosen up, STS. It was better than the Ruby and Valve Art  by far, but didn't approach the NOS black plate Rusky 5U4G types that I had tried first. Couldn't stand to spend the time breaking it in after hearing the Ruskies.

If you can find some 50's or early 60's vintage black plate Russian 5U4G types, grab a few. They are very, very, good. Not as good as the EML mesh plate, but awfully close.

Of course, the EML reigns supreme, as it should for the price. I've currently got one in my ZP3, and won't be looking back.

Steve's little gem is good enough to warrant spending the bucks for the finest tubes extant, including the EML. Also, the current draw in this amp is a walk in the park for a 5U4G, and I would expect MANY years of service in Steve's amp ( 10 yrs would not surprise me in the least ).

So don't be afraid to search the best. Steve's amp warrants it.

Cheers,                    Crazy Bill

P.S. More to follow on the other tubes in the mp. I've played with a lot of different Rusky types.

IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 04/27/17 at 21:42:06

Thanks for the info guys.

For output backups, I ordered a matched quad of 1971 made 6P15P-EV from Russia. I am planning on trying a Mazda GZ32 rectifier soon.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/29/17 at 16:05:58

Donovan,

Just read your post and I had a similar experience with Amprex BB EL 84's and NOS Tungsrams as you did with the Sylvania's.

I know that the the Amprex are good as I was using them in an amp that I sold with excellent results.  Yet when I tried them in my SE84UFO2 - similar results that you described with the Sylvania's.  Same thing happened with the Tungsrams.  But TAD STR's were good as were the stock 6P15P-EV.  Anyone have any thoughts on this???

I'm using the stock 6P15P-EV with Mullard CV593/GZ32 and Siemens E88CC in the input.  Getting results far better than I should as this amp is fresh and burning in.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/30/17 at 14:49:43

Joman

You have reached the nadir of sound in that thing. I would not mess around with EL84's in this amp because it wasn't designed for them.

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 04/30/17 at 14:57:28

Rivieraranch wrote on 04/30/17 at 14:49:43:
Joman

You have reached the nadir of sound in that thing. I would not mess around with EL84's in this amp because it wasn't designed for them.

From the manual:

The Zen Triode Amplifier (SE84UFO) is an SET which means Single Ended Triode. It uses a single EL84/6P15P output tube per channel driven by a 6922/6N1P dual triode.

Your amp is shipped with hand selected premium quality N.O.S. 6P15P-EV output tubes rated at 5000 hours. These Russian military spec tubes are the top grade of what we came to know in this country as the SV83.

NOTE: You can also use EL84's in this amplifier without adjustments of any kind however you'll find the 6P15P-EV's to be unparalleled in speed and detail. The reason for this is because the 6P15P-EV is actually a video tube as opposed to an audio tube. This gives it much wider bandwidth than a normal audio tube and that results in great SPEED.

We think these small bottle tubes are some of the best sounding and best quality available today. Of course, with the nearly as good sounding EL84 options out there, you can have a different sounding amp just by changing output tubes.

I would not say that the amp is "not designed" for EL84 use. In every Zen amp I've owned EL84s can sound very very good. The Hazen Grid is not for every one or every recording (I often use tubes in my amps that don't activate that mod and prefer the sound without the mod to be honest in most cases, especially digital material. And especially with certain input and rectifier choices.

Just offering a differing viewpoint. "Nadir" is not a word I would use.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/30/17 at 22:53:21

Should have written "pinnacle" sorry.

55   IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 05/03/17 at 21:28:29

It amazes me the low cost of NOS 6P15-EV from the Reflektor factory. $20 for a matched quad! One of the many benefits of owning this amp.  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 05/03/17 at 21:40:30

It may be just me but. . . I really don't like the sound of these tubes that much. I much prefer the non-military version by Svetlana (admittedly I don't have any of the ones Steve warns against, I have three pair of the earlier ones). They have a touch of warmth and don't have the touch of hardness I hear in the others.

I like EL84s too. My first amp was BEFORE Rev. A which allowed the use of SV83 and I found the same preference using EL84s, for example the Sovtek regular version sounded considerably better to me than the military version.

Rooms and taste differences perhaps! I'll be on the look out for more Svetlana as the Taboos use this tube type (I have a Mk III and a Mk IV on order).

IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 05/04/17 at 05:30:17

" I much prefer the non-military version by Svetlana (admittedly I don't have any of the ones Steve warns against, I have three pair of the earlier ones). They have a touch of warmth and don't have the touch of hardness I hear in the others."

Hey Lon, do you have a link to these tubes? I'm not sure which ones you mean. Thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 05/04/17 at 11:59:55

https://www.tubesforamps.com/products/el84-6bq5-sv83/svetlana-sv83-matched-pair

This pictured is the correct tube to use, there is a later version with a smaller "S" emblem that Steve says is unreliable. The problem is that from these places you don't know which you are getting when you order. I prefer to buy from ebay from pictures of the actual tubes for sale.

I like these tubes a lot.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/04/17 at 21:24:44

Based on recent experience with EL84 tubes, personally, I don't think that the SE84UFO2 gets along with all EL84's - my opinion only.

I did try TAD EL84-STR and these are marvellous.  Similar in ways to the 6P15P-EV.  But not quite as hard with more a little more delicacy and detail - unbelievable detail and layering (see my review of the Omega's).  But be warned these can be critical of the recording and source.  Also my amp and speakers have 25 hours at best so some of the hardness is probably due to that.

Also, it's not just the EL84's.  In the input I now have a Siemens E88CC and the Rectifier is the Fivre 5Y4GYS.  Will alerted me to this rectifier and I believe Lon commented on TAD EL84-M on one of the posts.

I hav a pair of Telefunken/Siemens E289CC on the way.  It's an itch I have to scratch.

Rivieraranch is correct... I am hunting for the pinnacle and I think that I'm getting closer.  Keep in mind that my amp and speakers are still quite new and that I am tolerant of a very transparent and detailed system.  This may not be for everyone.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/04/17 at 21:28:49

Correction: the Fivre is a 5R4GY/CV717.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/04/17 at 21:31:10

Another correction: Siemens E288CC.  (got to slow down!)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 05/04/17 at 21:34:20

Yes, those TADs are really good tubes.

I've been having success with the early Svetlana SV-83 tubes in my Taboo Mk III. They just have a touch of warmth and forgiveness that the military version doesn't--they do bring a lot of what I like about the TADs to the table. I think these will be the tubes I use in the Mk III and the Mk IV I have on order; I have three pairs currently, all relatively unused, so I'm good for a spell.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 05/04/17 at 21:37:02

JOMAN wrote on 05/04/17 at 21:31:10:
Another correction: Siemens E288CC.  (got to slow down!)

I predict you'll like those a lot.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 05/04/17 at 22:02:57

I remember using a couple RCA 5r4gy a while ago in my Torii III. They are most definitely tight,crispy and detailed. I might revisit them.

JD

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 05/04/17 at 22:09:44

Lon,  now I have another itch Svetlana SV83's.  Does this ever stop?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 05/04/17 at 22:17:13

No, it never stops. Sometimes if you're lucky it hibernates for a while. . . . Smiley

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 05/31/17 at 20:42:27

LON, I got the Tele/Siemens E288CC and a pair of the Svetlana SV83, not so sure this was a good thing Wink.

I do like the The E288CC a lot and am on the same page with you on the Svetlana SV83, BUT, (always a but) these come with a trade off...

The combinations and comments:
1. Mullard GZ32/CV593 Rectifier, Svetlana SV83, Tele/Siemens E288CC
NICE! Smooth, detailed, natural almost no edge even on less than stellar recordings.

2. Fivre 5R4GY/CV717 Rectifier, TAD EL84, Siemens E88CC
Also NICE! as above with slightly, very slightly, less detail.  This combo seems to have more "emotion".  It's evident in the smallest changes of pitch, modulation, and power.  Vocals especially manifest this and seam to be "breathier".  Also this combo is a little more dynamic.

However here's the but... Combo 2 definitely can be somewhat edgier.

The jury is out on this one and will be for some time as my amp still needs more time to burn in and the speakers especially so.  Probably will keep both combos.  I think they can be handy in final tuning or just to satisfy a change of mood.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 05/31/17 at 22:39:22

Very interesting. I like both the SV83 and the TAD EL84 a LOT.

In only one Decware component was a 5R4 palatable to me. . . a CSP2+ with the Valvo CCa tubes, with headphones, haven't tried it with an amplifier. Otherwise. . . too dry and edgy for me. I think that may be where the occasional edge with the TAD is coming from.

I've tried all kinds of rectifiers in Decware amps and with the 2 watt Zens I have had and the one I still have, and the CSP2 and CSP2+ and ZP3 that I have I just think that the 5Y3 and the 5V3 are ones I can settle into and relax deeply into the music with. . . others I keep getting distracted with edge or bloat or thinness etc. With the Toriis I have been using 5V4 and when I've tried 5Y3 I have liked the sound but the pair I tried caused the OA3s to flash. . . which is odd. . . I'll have to try another pair sometime of both 5Y3 and OA3.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the sound. Those TAD EL84 are excellent tubes even though they don't activate the Hazen Grid. I also like the SV83, which do.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 06/01/17 at 00:13:36

I'd agree with you on the Fivre 5Y3GY.  Initially I tried it in my CSP3 with HD800 head phones and didn't care for it for the very reasons you indicated.

I tried a number of different rectifiers in the CSP3 including the Phillips 5Y3.  Eventually I settled on two... Mullard GZ32 and an unlikely AWV Radiotron 5AS4 GT bottle.

Currently in the CSP3 I have the AWV 5AS4, 6N11's in the output and a Valvo PCC88 in the input.  I had all but written off the Fivre 5Y3GY until I tried it in the SE84UFO2 on a whim before finally retiring it.  It's still in the UFO2.  

As far as the edginess... as the speakers burn in it's diminishing.  What the final result will be is yet to be determined.  But at least I have narrowed it to the two combinations to work with.

For sure the TAD's and Svetlana's are keepers with the stock 6N15 tubes still in the inventory, just in case.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 06/01/17 at 01:35:10

Cool, it's nice to have a few complements to rotate and also some outliers to experiment with. It's amazing how much tubes influence the sound on these amps, but not that surprising as there are so few parts altogether in the amps.

The GZ32 you experimented with is very similar to the 5V4 that I have been using very satisfactorily in my Torii amps. Like Goldilock's porridge for me it's just right in that application.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the UFO transformers when my Taboo Mk IV is built. Will be an experience!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 06/01/17 at 03:51:26

Look forward to hearing about the Taboo MKIV when you get it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 06/01/17 at 13:07:30

Believe me, you may not get the blow by blow you get from Stone of Tone, but you'll hear about it. Wink

IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 06/02/17 at 02:11:45

I've been watching Ebay for those Svetlana SV-83, but they don't come up at all. I'm not too heartbroken as the 6P15P-EV's sound amazing. I was inspired by Pursuitofnow to get his favorites because it looks like he has run through the best of the best in his amp.

I ordered the Mullard E188CC from Upscale Audio and I am supremely impressed. It's the Great Britain variety, not the Holland. Paid the extra $10 for a platinum select and this tube has been a revelation. The input bias switch now makes sense! I couldn't hear it's purpose before because with the 6N1P it only sounded good in the forward position. The Mullard sounds amazing in both positions. I just goes from great (backward position) to transcendent (forward position). A+

Same grade for the RCA JAN 5U4G (VT-244): A+. WWII vintage. It's kind of difficult to describe the sonic qualities of rectifiers, as it's more of a "know it when you hear it" type of situation. This RCA is the best of heard so far. I have a French Mazda GZ-32 awaiting it's turn, but I'm in no hurry to pull out the RCA!

I'd keep going on, but the Warriors and Cavs are about to tip off.  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 06/02/17 at 02:39:39

Well, yeah, don't bother to look for the SV83. More for me! Wink I just put a pair back in after listening to a pair of the 6P15-EV for a week; I definitely prefer the SV83!

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 06/02/17 at 04:47:18

Donovan, glad to hear those tubes are working out for you in your system.

I'd like to try the SV83 some day to hear the difference in my system, but I'm not sure what I'd gain. Lon, do you have the UFO transformer in your zen? I wonder if that makes a difference when comparing the 6P15P-EV and the SV83.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 06/02/17 at 11:33:12

No, though I will soon have UFO transformers in my Taboo Mk IV when it is built and shipped and can compare roughly between that and the Taboo Mk III that I have.

I suspect that I may still prefer the SV83 myself because the basic tonal characteristics of the tubes themselves. The SV83 has a touch of richness that to me makes the "military version" sound just a bit brighter and thinner. (I have experienced the same differences before for example with Sovtek EL84 tubes, I much prefer the standard to the "military" version with similar differences evident.)

All this may well be system dependent (may be how the PS Audio P10 and AC-12 power cords and the VooDoo Cable Stradivarius Cremona interconnects are displaying info etc.) but this is the system I have. . . and I prefer the SV83. It's not a huge difference, and I like to swap between these two types and really nice EL84s as well with other tubes in the complement as well; helps me keep my ears on their toes.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 06/18/17 at 02:23:02

Hey Lon,  that makes two looking for Svetlana  SV83.  Do you think there's enough for both?? 😁

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 06/18/17 at 11:47:05

Probably not, they're getting scarce! Smiley I'm good for a while, but if you hit a big motherlode let me know!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 06/18/17 at 12:55:03

Well, this may be blasphemy but I have both versions of the Russian tubes and can't say I hear a difference. But my audio memory is poor and I don't like swapping tubes in a warmed up Amp.  Currently  I have the Svetlana SV83s in my Zen Monoblocks and the Military types in my Taboo MK III.

On another note...I picked up 3 beautiful well testing 1953 RCA, Labeled Emerson, 5U4G-ST Rectifiers for $35.50 shipped.  They all test close to each other so could be used as a matched pair in the Torii or Monoblocks.  I'll have to test them soon in the Monoblocks but suspect the RCA 5V4Gs will be brought back rather quickly. I still haven't tried the 5V4Gs in the Torii but I have British GZ 32's in my CSP3s...a Mullard in the main system and a Ediswan in the second system...they are doing a fine job. Roll on my friends, Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 06/18/17 at 14:43:48

Well, if you ever want to trade military versions for SV83, let me know! I hear a slight difference, enough of a difference for me to prefer the SV83. Since these are used in amps with neither treble nor bass controls the tubes are my frequency balance tools, and the SV83 create a better balance with my interconnects etc.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 06/19/17 at 02:33:13

Mark, I do hear a difference with my current system where as I did not hear as much of one with my previous system when tube rolling.  I believe that what one can or cannot hear is very much system dependent.  Nothing necessarily wrong with not hearing a difference if you're happy with what you do hear.  

My current system in part consists of a CSP3 + SE84UFO2 + Omega S3HOXRS.  My previous systems were no where near as transparent.  I've tried the stock tubes, TAD EL84-STR and Svetlana SV83 (Winged C).  I like all three but like Lon am leaning toward the Svetlanas.

IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 06/20/17 at 01:33:02

Here is an interesting review where the owner prefers running Bendix 6094's through socket adapters. He is also another user who hasn't had luck with EL84's. What the benefits of 6094's are, I have no idea, but they are pricey.

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/decware-se83c.html

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 06/20/17 at 04:20:52

Does anyone know if these Svetlana SV83 are good ones?
https://www.tubesforamps.com/products/el84-6bq5-sv83/svetlana-sv83-matched-pair

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #46 - 06/20/17 at 11:41:53

I ordered a pair of those. .. and received the 'bad' ones. But. . . to be honest . . . I decided to use them and they sound similar to the "good ones" I have and there has not been a single problem in a hundred hours or so.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 06/20/17 at 11:57:41

If you go to the Tube Store and Search SV83 you'll see the ones with the small gold label.  It's my understanding that these are the ones that can be unreliable.

I got a pair with the large gold label as shown on your link from TFA, but when ordering I stipulated that I only wanted "Large Gold Label as shown, NO substitutes".  I got the ones with the Large Gold Label.

Not too long after I tried to get more but were out of stock.  They just received a new shipment but have not visually inspected the shipment to determine if any of the ones with the large gold label were received.  I would ask them to let you know after they have checked the new shipment.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 06/20/17 at 15:48:11

Thanks Lon and JOMAN. I've ordered some and will check them out soon.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 06/22/17 at 01:40:21

...and for what it's worth, I contacted TFA and they confirmed large logo as in the picture.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print