Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:21:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decfest Demo Tunes Thread (2016) (Read 5116 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Decfest Demo Tunes Thread (2016)
10/10/16 at 22:47:40

Palomino and I regularly talk about great albums we find and like to show off great tracks that highlight something in a system. We kind of take pride in being able to come up with demo tunes that aren't the same tired songs that everyone is using at the big audio shows (though I admit those are used for a reason), and we're quick to whip out Shazam when we find something interesting. (great App by the way)

Randy had some great tracks that didn't come up on Shazam because they were from indy record producers, and Pal and I get asked "who is that?" when we play something odd and cool, so we figured we'd start this thread to share Artist/Albums/Tracks we used this weekend, and hopefully get others to chime in with some suggestions to add to our repertoire.

I'll start - I'm going to put in as much information as I can to make it as easy for people to find these albums as possible.

My Demo Tunes are all digital - I gave up spinning media a couple years ago when I realized my digital files typically sounded better than the spinning media (all things being equal).  

I have to look a bunch of these up to be accurate, so I'll edit and add more info later

So in no particular order:

Artist   -   Track   -   Album   -   Format/Bitrate

Aleixa - Rain in the Air - Honeylake  - FLAC-16/44 CD Rip

Cyndee Peters – “House of the Rising Sun”  - Opus3 Showcase no3  - DSD64

The Wailin' Jennys  -  "Summertime"  -  Live at the Mauch Chunk Opera House - FLAC-16/44 CD Rip

Project Trio   -   "Dup Dup"   -  Project Trio  - FLAC 16/44 CD Rip

ALT-J  -  "Intro"   "Interlude 1"  "Tessellate"    An Awesome Wave  FLAC24/96 HDTracks

(need to look up the artist)  -  "Money (That's What I Want)  - FLAC 16/44 CD-RIP

NILS LOFGREN - "Keith Don't Go"  -  Acoustic Live  - FLAC 16/44 CD Rip

Michael Jackson  "Billie Jean"  - Thriller FLAC 24/88 HDTracks

Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Tin Pan Alley"  Texas Flood  -  FLAC 16/44 CD RIP

Stevie Ray Vaughan  -  "Little Wing"  -  The Sky is Crying  - FLAC 16/44 CD rip

Sara Bareilles -  "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"  -  Brave Enough: Live at the Variety Playhouse  FLAC 16/44 CD Rip

The Beatles  -  "Here Comes The Sun"  -  Abby Road (2014 Universal Music)  -  FLAC 16/44 CD Rip

Emerson, Lake & Palmer  "Lucky Man"  Emerson, Lake & Palmer (2012 Sony Legacy DVD)  FLAC 24/96 DVD Rip

OK, I need to get back to work - I'll finish up the list later tonight if I have time, that's almost half of my typical playlist I've been using for two years now.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Re: Decfest Demo Tunes Thread (2016)
Reply #1 - 10/11/16 at 02:26:49

few of my favs:

Exodus Quartet - Grove Gumbo - Way Out There 44.1/16 flac
Supertramp - Sooner or Later - Somethings Never Change 44.1/16 flac
Lee Ritenour - Why I Sing The Blues - 6 String Theory 44.1/16 flac
The Latin Jazz Trio - Luisongo - Latin Jazz Trioo 96/24 hd flac

great idea, and good seeing you at the fest!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/11/16 at 03:05:03

Hey, there was a selection played on the first night with some very progressive violins.  I tried to Shazam it but it ended before I could do it.  I wish I knew what it was.  It was interesting.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #3 - 10/11/16 at 22:54:56

Good thread .....
I'm headed out the door in a few minutes but will post some of the goodies I played at the Fest later tonight or tomorrow .....

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/12/16 at 15:11:11

Good thread.  I will try to contribute when I have some time.  Most of my list is inbred with el president's but I think I have a few that he doesn't have.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #5 - 10/13/16 at 21:41:32

OK ..... I finally got settled in after the trip home from Peoria .....

So ..... here are some of the CDs I shared at the Zen Fest that several of the attendees asked to add to their short list :

Almira Fawn - Chillax
Song - Appalachia
This has to be downloaded from the CD Baby site

Chris Isaak - Baja Sessions

Jacintha - Jacintha Is Her Name

Richard Buckner - Devotion + Doubt

The rest are on the German Stockfisch label and can be ordered through Elusive Disc .....

Kerstin Blodig - Out of the Woods

Ewen Carruthers - When Time Turns Around

Sara K - Hell or High Water

Steve Strauss - Just Like Love

Allan Taylor - Hotels and Dreamers

Enjoy,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 10/14/16 at 13:57:14

Thanks so much for that list, Randy!

Randy also mentioned that several of the albums are from this label.

http://www.stockfisch-records.de/sf12_start_e.html

I have a couple I've not had a chance to listen to, mostly classical. But I plan on checking them out soon.

I also found out there is a way to archive DSD straight from the SACDs I own using my OPPO Blu-Ray player - so I'm going to see if (yet again) the digital files sound better than the spinning media (all things being equal - or as equal as possible). So I might have some more demo tunes to add to my list.

Speaking of which, I need to finish up my demo tunes list above - that's only about half.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print