Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:26:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84 UFO Distortion or clipping? (Read 17651 times)
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

SE84 UFO Distortion or clipping?
10/04/16 at 22:30:20

So I was watching Straight Out of Compton on Blu-Ray the other day. And for the most part it sounded real good but two things and I think they might go hand in hand with each other. So anytime I watch a Blu-Ray, I have to turn the volume knob on the Decware all the way to max just to have it at adequate volume levels and it's still not as loud as I want it. But during some of the music scenes I noticed some distortion. Not a lot but some. Was that due to the amp clipping because of the volume turned all the way up? I know it can't be the speakers due to 2 watts should not get the speakers to distort. Is there something I can do to help out with this issue while playing Blu-rays? I know that the Schiit dac I am using only outputs at 1.5 volts so I know that can be some of the issue but it seems to only be a real issue when playing Blu-Rays. Any suggestions? I am getting the new Schiit Audio Modi 2 Multibit which outputs at 2 volts so I know that should help. I was also thinking about getting the Decware gain stage as well. Any suggestions? Thanks.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84 UFO Distortion or clipping?
Reply #1 - 10/05/16 at 03:17:30

Sounds like you need more voltage hitting the front end of the amp. In my living room, the volume at 9 o'clock is more than adequate for tv/movies/music. I'd look into a preamp that gives you more voltage.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/05/16 at 05:10:51

Yeah. I really think it's the voltage.  Any suggestions on a good 2 channel pre-amp to mate with the amp?

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/05/16 at 06:25:03

I'm using a SimAudio Moon 230HAD for my digital sources. It's a dac/preamp/headphone amp all in one. It adds substantial weight to the sound and a lot of volume. Sounds really good to me.

All of the Decware preamps seem like great options. I want to try a zstage at some point and have extra inputs added to run digital source and vinyl source through it.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/05/16 at 06:35:06

btw... what is the sensitivity of your speakers? The Dayton's I use are 96.5 dB. The speaker sensitivity will play a big part in the volume you get out of the amp.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/16 at 16:41:39

Your Sim Audio looks real nice. Has some great reviews. I really think that the Schiit Audio Modi 2 Multibit just might be the ticket though. It's getting great reviews and outputs at 2 Volts compared to the 1.5 of my current dac. And it's only $249! Another option I am seriously considering is just purchasing an Oppo BDP 105D and using that as a dac. And it will be my media hub as I can stream Netflix from it, Spotify, TIDAL and obviously play Blu-Ray, CD's, SACD's And DVD audio. And it outputs at 2.1 volts. What do you think of the Oppo option?

IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/05/16 at 16:52:58

Oh and my speakers are Omega 3XRS's. With no crossover and a 94.5 DB rating. And when I play my SACD player that is connected directly to the Decware, it plays as loud as I need it to. I rarely turn it up past the 1oclock position. So it is for sure not the amp running out of steam, it's just the output of the source/dac that is the issue.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/06/16 at 05:24:57

I bet the Oppo 105d would sound great, and the fact it's a media hub as well is added bonus. Interested to see where you land and how it sounds.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/22/16 at 15:56:13

I have the Oppo BDP-105, UFO and Omega Super Alnico monitors. The Oppo sounds great in this combo and I like the simplicity of a one box solution.

No problem with volume output. UFO volume pot at about 1 O'clock for loud on most CD's. Blu-Rays about 3 O'clock for loud but no distortion.

This is my third Oppo over the years.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 10/22/16 at 21:44:28

You have probably already looked, but does your blu-ray player have an internal volume control in settings. Most do. If so, crank it to the max.

IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 11/14/16 at 23:13:14

I am eventually going to end up with an Oppo 105 but for now I ended up purchasing a Yamaha WXC-50 Pre-amp/DAC/ Streamer. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamwxc50ds/yamaha-wxc-50-music...

Will stream Spotify to it and then go optical in for my other digital sources. It's outputting at over 2volts. Should be in tomorrow. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #11 - 11/15/16 at 08:54:53

Keep us posted on the Streamer.  Until I buy the Torii amp, I am running a Yamaha SS AV integrated receiver, and this streamer would work nice in my setup.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/15/16 at 16:54:05

For sure. I am excited to try it out tonight. Just got a text message that my package is in. So far, I have really enjoyed my experience purchasing from a4less. We will see if it was the right choice.

IP Logged
HIFI JEFF
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 11/16/16 at 16:00:57

So I hooked up the new Yamaha dac/streamer and have to say , I am quite impressed. It sounds really good. I am still having to turn the volume all the way up on my Decware to get it to an adequate listening level but at least it now sounds a lot better. So I guess as long as running my amp at near max levels isn't hurting it at all, I wont worry about it. it just freaks me out because I have never run any amp I have ever owned at max so I am not used to it. So it is okay to do that right? Not going to hurt the amp or burn out the tubes earlier? I still would like to know what is causing this issue and why I don't need to turn it up nearly as much when listening to my CD player. Both the dac and the cd player both output at 2VRMS. So I don't know what the difference is.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/26/17 at 12:34:57

yeah, i got my ufo2 last week for a 2ch/ht setup and am running into the same thing.

running bestys (pretty high eff), oppo 103 straight, or thru schiit bifrost 4490.  both ways, i seem to clip and run out of steam with DVD or bluerays.  music cds aren't a bunch louder either.  think i have a gain issue.

may have to try my multibit and/or my csp3 in there and see what happens.

or get a 105 like DBC.  his gets plenty loud.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/26/17 at 17:45:22

Quote:
Tripwr1964 wrote:

yeah, i got my ufo2 last week for a 2ch/ht setup and am running into the same thing.

running bestys (pretty high eff), oppo 103 straight, or thru schiit bifrost 4490.  both ways, i seem to clip and run out of steam with DVD or bluerays.  music cds aren't a bunch louder either.  think i have a gain issue.

may have to try my multibit and/or my csp3 in there and see what happens.

or get a 105 like DBC.  his gets plenty loud.

Trip,

Much of the perceived weight & volume in my system comes from the SLAB 15's we listened to in my main room. You may recall when we disconnected the SLAB's the soundstage seemed much smaller. I could turn the UFO volume up but could not reproduce the weight and scale of soundstage that the SLAB's add running with no crossover.

I have the stepped attenuator on my UFO. CD's Normal Listening = 11 O'clock, Loud = 1 O'clock, Really Loud = 3 O'clock. Most Blu Ray & DVD Loud = 3 O'clock, Really Loud = 5 O'clock. These settings are with the SLAB's active. My experience is that DVD's and Blu Ray simply have lower levels.

I have never A/B tested the 103 & 105 to know what the sound quality difference is. My guess is it would be noticeable given the higher quality analog stage in the 105? My guess is both units have the same analog output gain so probably no advantage there?

If you ever want to come down and A/B your 103 against my 105 you are welcome here.

DBC

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/26/17 at 22:28:29

CSP3 or Stage should solve the problem.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/27/17 at 01:44:33

dbc
already running some 15a's with the betsys.  bought two and have tried 1 and 2 and 1 seems to sound better to me in my setup.
i'll also double check my settings on it.

rr
i have a csp3 i could try and see what happens.  was thinking about that today at "work".

also put in a nos mullard blk base 5ar4, while it helps a bit with overall volume and punch in lower mid range.  it messed up the top end.  all the nice smooth liquid upper range was exchanged for more detailed harsher stuff... don't like.

so yeah i'll put in my csp3 sat. and see what that does.

thks for input guys!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/27/17 at 03:17:28

You won't regret it. The CSP is useful if you run across a channel imbalance too.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print