Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 21:14:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDT MK II/DM 945 resistor wattage? (Read 10219 times)
Corey
Seasoned Member

HDT MK II/DM 945 resistor wattage?
09/24/16 at 05:28:29

To pad down the tweeter, what wattage is required?  Would a resistor like a Kiwame sound better than what Steve Deckert uses?

Thanks!

Corey  :)

WWW   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: HDT MK II/DM 945 resistor wattage?
Reply #1 - 09/25/16 at 03:15:20

Corey,

Use 10W MOX resistors from Mundorf. You can get them from Madisound.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/25/16 at 03:24:05

Zygi,

Appreciate the knowledge, thanks Bro.

2, 6, 16 ohm should be (3) good values to try?

Cor

P.S. I guess I should go peruse the Radial forum for Lon's RL-2 days. I believe he went 16 ohm in near-field.

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/25/16 at 03:28:12

Oh no, Steve took out the Radial forum. That's okay.

Perhaps if Lon is reading this, you can recommend a couple values for near field?

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/25/16 at 03:30:24

Corey,

I'm not sure how valuable you may find  my recommendation. I am the only one I know in the forums that use 100 ohm and 50 ohm resistors. On my HR-1s I use 33 ohm resistors. I am really sensitive to high frequencies and these values work best for me. But I don't think there are many who follow in my footsteps in this manner.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/25/16 at 04:00:55

Lon,

Are you running vinyl or digital?

I didn't realise the values were so high.  It's been years though since I read your previous posts concerning the RL-2's.

Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/25/16 at 12:08:32

Corey, like Lon, I have HR-1s and use a 10 ohm Mundorf Supreme resistor to tone down the tweeter a bit.  More than 10 seemed to suck too much life out of the music.  I don't remember who, maybe Will, but I've seen as low as 3 ohms used.  The only way is to get a range of cheap resistors to try.  What you end up with is an individual choice that none of us can make for you.  Mark.

PS...with the HR-1s I run mainly Vinyl but also have a CD player and a SACD player in my main music room....the Cave.  My Torii MK IV also has the treble controls turned down as low as they go for most albums.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 09/25/16 at 12:30:39

I am running cds, DVD and Blu-ray and vinyl.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 09/25/16 at 14:50:06

Whatever value, I do also recommend using the Mundorf Supreme resistor. A step above the others.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/25/16 at 15:36:32

Corey, here are the type Lon and I bought...  https://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_mundorf.html

But I bought a bunch of values of these to find the value I wanted and to experiment in the future if I so desire....
https://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_mundorf_mr10.html

And here's the whole Mundorf family of resistors....I think I bought from this company...
http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_mundorf_main.html

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/25/16 at 18:10:19

For a slightly different take:  After playing around, I ended up with 2.7 ohm Mundorf Supremes with my HR1s and ZMA (ZP3 and vinyl) which is where Will is with his Torii IV and HR1s, I think.  Eventually I took mine out and I prefer things this way.  I don't know if it is a function of hearing or amplifier but I don't hear things as out of balance at this point.  It could be a function of break-in too.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/29/16 at 03:54:40

Thanks for the knowledge guys! Smiley  I think I am just going to go on faith and order a set of Mundorf Supreme resistors in 18 ohm; install them, and forget about them!  

Corey

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/29/16 at 03:55:45

Those MR10 resistors sure look like Kiwame's!

WWW   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/01/16 at 14:03:57

Corey, I am not technically inclined....more about the music than the gear but I think you should also buy several different values of cheap resistors to try.  They are only 1.79 each.  All the comments are from HR-1 owners with different Amps than yours (and different preferences...Ears).  So since you are dealing with different gear and speakers not to mention speaker cable, interconnects, tubes, etc, etc...and since in other posts you are spending much more on other upgrades, I don't think faith should be your course.  Maybe get the 18's but also get a selection to see how your combination of Hi Fi gear sounds with higher and lower values.  Mark.

IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/01/16 at 21:52:21

Mark,  thanks for replying!

I originally was going to source the backplate that Steve uses then test from the rear binding posts but couldn't find from Parts Express. I am using Romex for internal speaker wire and am going to solder the resistor/capacitor in nice and neat,  shrink tube them and be done. One pair is being used "Near Field" in actual record engineering within the realm of Pro Tools/Waves so he needs some attenuation but requested or expressed interest in a more neutral presentation.  I am going to send the pair with the phase guides!

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/02/16 at 14:01:42

I have decided to go with the Mox resistors from Madisound. Supreme's are nearly half the price of the drivers!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print