Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:23:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Have you heard the Shuguang 6H1N yet? (Read 32352 times)
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Have you heard the Shuguang 6H1N yet?
09/22/16 at 19:03:41

Last week I had to return my Taboo III for a minor low level hum issue and to upgrade the Taboo III to Taboo UFO. Steve has found the problem and fixed it. Smiley

While I was talking to Steve about the problem he mentioned a new inexpensive Chinese tube he was unexpectedly very impressed by: a Shuguang 6H1N (drop in replacement for any 6DJ8 family tube).  He only had a few, but was nice enough to mail me a pair to evaluate.

A few days later I received them and put one of the 6H1Ns into my CSP3s input tube position. I really wasn't expecting much since it was only an $11.00 Chinese tube. I was very wrong and very happy. After only 10 minutes of listening I sent an email to Steve which said:

Quote:
I received the pair of 6H1N tubes today (Saturday) and I just plugged
one into my CSP3. By the way, even with a magnifying glass I really
couldn't make out the "6H1N" with any degree of clarity and white boxes
have no information apart from a clear seal which I presume is
"Shuguang's" factory seal/logo.

I looked the tubes up up on ebay and found two sellers stating they were
new or NOS tubes from Shuguang Factory from the 1970-80's period for
$11.00/ea.

Anyway, I really wasn't expecting much, but my initial impression is
"color me impressed". I haven't done comparisons between my Amperex,
Telefunken's and a few other lesser brands in the 6DJ8-7308 family, but
these tubes, to my ears, have:

1. Improved bass definition and punch
2. A really spacious and detailed midrange that isn't overly warm
3. Very impressive overall sound stage (width, depths and height)
4. Impressive instrumental imaging and a
4. Smooth and detailed top end - not too bright or etched

I was making this judgment based on listening via my LCD-2.1 headphones which are on the warm side of neutral, but sound absolutely wonderful to me.  Now that I've listened for several more hours using Amperex 7308s as the CSP3s output tubes, my opinion hasn't changed.

If Steve can find more of these tubes, I think they are going to save those who like their sound, a good deal of money.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Have you heard the Shuguang 6H1N yet?
Reply #1 - 09/22/16 at 20:09:11

That's awesome - I wonder how they would work in a Mystery Amp.

I'd go buy some off eBay, but I know Steve has, and uses a Preamp tube tester/matcher where he can even listen for noise. So what he sells are usually sorted through pretty well.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/23/16 at 00:55:11

LR,

From what Steve told me, after careful inspection not all of the 6H1N tubes offered on ebay are the same quality as the ones he obtained. He only had a few good ones on hand last week. I'm sure he's looking for a quality supply as we speak.

I do recall that Steve said one of the ways to tell the better ones apart is the laser etching of the "6H1N". In my email to him above, I did mention that I had a hard time making out the "6H1N" with a magnifying glass, but I did see the number etched into the glass tube.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 09/23/16 at 15:59:40

I'll have to reach out to him and see. I find on the ZMA, preamp tubes have a bigger impact than swapping power tubes. At least with the KT-66 tubes I've tested in my amp (not really anything rare, expensive, or exotic).

So I'm interested in finding out more! Hell, I'd swing by his place and offer to sort tubes for him if it helps get them in stock sooner.  :)

Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/24/16 at 00:18:31

I can't wait for you and others to try these tubes out. Steve pretty much agreed with my auditory assessment, but I'm certain other will have differing opinions.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 09/26/16 at 23:54:00

Do these look like the right thing? They are here in Illinois, and about 45 minutes from me (and on my way home from Peoria)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Quad-6H1-6H1n-6N1P-6N1PVI-6N1PEV-6H1nBN-6H1nEB-6N1-...

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 09/27/16 at 00:56:38

LR. I've never had anything good come from Morris il.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 09/27/16 at 18:06:05

LOL - probably right, Donnie.

Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/27/16 at 20:10:20

LR,

My cell phone doesn't take good photos (or, more likely, I don't know how to use it Cry ). Attached are 5 photos of the tubes Steve sent me (currently, he doesn't have anymore). I was hoping the photos would show the etched number better. According to Steve, the problem with Chinese tubes is variability.

It seems I can only add 1 photo at a time, so I will make 4 more picture posts in addition to this one.

6H1N-1.jpg

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/27/16 at 20:12:01

6H1N picture 2

6H1N-2.jpg

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/27/16 at 20:17:51

6H1N picture 5

6H1N-5.jpg

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/27/16 at 20:19:58

6H1N picture 4

6H1N-4.jpg

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/27/16 at 20:21:27

6H1N picture 3

6H1N-3.jpg

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/05/16 at 15:42:43

Any more info on these tubes? Which ones to buy?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 11/07/16 at 02:53:09

Hi everyone,

I have decided to put my ebay source for these tubes here on the forum so that anyone interested can give them a try. So far I have ordered five times, 10 tubes each time, and have had no issues, and no bad tubes. I will also say that no other 9 pin tubes in current production that exist today can I buy 50 of without having to rejecting some due to being out of tolerance or any number of other issues. Is this a fluke, yes and possibly no. By that I mean that this particular batch of tubes seems to be a good one. When they run out, and re-tool for another batch it's anyone's guess.

These tubes work in all Decware amps that use 6N1P, 6922 input tubes, which is most of them.  In the TORII's, that being all versions of TORII, MK2, MK3 and TORII JR, I have not yet found a better tube.  Because TORII's are direct coupled (where the amazing transparency and speed comes from) they are very picky about the quality and matching of the input tubes that you use.  Using anything less than great tubes in a TORII input stage can result in a drop in power or an increase in distortion or both.

INFO SPECIFIC TO TORII AMPLIFIERS: Since we're talking about TORII's I should remind everyone that TORII's originally shipped with 6N1P's until around the time of the MK3. About that time TORII's stopped working well with 6N1P. This is not due to changes in the amplifier, but rather changes in the 6N1P from Russia. And likely it's not changes in the 6N1P but rather changes in the various batches over the years. 6N1P's were made through the 1980's. The operating points of a TORII input stage were near the limits of the plate curves of a 6N1P with a lower voltage than would probably be considered normal. In past years the 6N1P's coming out of Russia have been hit and miss at this lower voltage. I say hit and miss, because Russian tubes are characteristically all over the map when in comes to plate current. That means the ones that test at one end of the window will work fine and the ones that test at the other end of the window will become voltage starved which in turn will drop the power of the TORII amplifier by sometimes more than half.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Shuguang-Chinese-6N11-6922-6DJ8-Vacuum-Tube-2PCS-/17...

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/07/16 at 07:05:16

Thanks Steve. I ordered some to try!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #16 - 11/07/16 at 15:36:37

don't know how accurate the "remaining counter" on eBay is, but I just bought a pair - and it says only one left.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/07/16 at 18:16:58

Lol I bought 3 pairs on Friday

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/18/16 at 21:59:06

Just received these tubes and popped them them in. They live up to the hype from Steve. Incredible transparency and resolution with no glare or edginess whatsoever. Remarkable. Better then the Amperex white label 7308's. Crazy good find. Thanks Steve!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/19/16 at 19:19:55

I've been thinking about changing my ZMA input tubes and I noticed this thread (re-noticed).  I've ordered 4 pairs to cover my ZMA and CSP3.  I don't have a way of matching tubes so I guess trial and error?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/19/16 at 19:33:18

Sounding v/n in the Rachels. I haven`t tried my third pair in the CSP2+ yet, guess you could use 3 tubes there. They are as good as anything I`ve used in the 6dj8 slots.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 11/19/16 at 21:08:10

Syd. You could try them in either the front or middle position of the CSP. They don't need to be the same tube in all three.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 11/20/16 at 17:26:34

Thanks Will. I popped a pair of the Shuguangs into the CSP2+ forward positions and noticed a big improvement in a cleaner background allowing the sonics to become clearer and more focused. More air and clarity. Very nice !
Thanks to the member who brought the to our attention, and of course Steve D.,.. great bargain.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 11/20/16 at 18:22:59

I like some things about them quite a bit, and not others. But my favorite position in my setting and setup for them is the power tubes in the CSP3. Very nice there if exceptional micro detail and subtle nuances are not critical.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Robem
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 12/10/16 at 09:02:24

Steve,

Massive props to you here man... I ordered a couple of pairs of these tubes based upon what you said and at $20 a pair I thought "what can I lose?". Well dude I'm going to tip my hat to you, even semi cold these sound fantastic and I can say I'll be buying more to keep in stock for future use! Thanks for the link!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/10/16 at 15:50:03

I also like these tubes.  I have not tried them in the Torii but they sound quite good in the Rachael.  

Thanks for the link Steve.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 12/10/16 at 15:59:24

Damn!!  Better than the Amperex white label 7308s.  I've got to hear these for myself.  I have quite a few Amperex 7308s and when I look on ebay for closely matched pairs the cost has gone up quite a bit.  I guess my cheer-leading for them didn't help...hehe.  Anyway if Steve says they are good and this source is reliable, I'm in...ordered 4 pairs.  I have a Torii MK IV, CSP-3. Taboo MK III and a pair of 2008, 2 WPC monoblocks...so lots of places to try them.  I have been very happy with the white label Amperex 7308s and 6922s so we'll see.  After a very brief run of the original input tubes in my Torii MK IV, I've had only the 7308s so I'm reluctant to mess with success.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Robem
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 12/10/16 at 20:29:51

I found them to be extremely dark and dynamic with no harshness and that is straight out of the box. I'm going to let them settle in and come back to you guys with additional feedback once they are warmed up a bit.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 12/10/16 at 23:05:44

Ok, I should not have said better then the 7308s, they actually are very different sounding. But in my Torri MK III with the ZU's they are very transparent, and super smooth. Lighter on the bass then the 7308s and less energy, but super smooth and elegant.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 12/10/16 at 23:51:25

Mark, like you say, no great loss if they do not fit everywhere. Also, they might mix nicely with the American Amperex in your systems.

I ordered 6H1Ns when this thread first came up from the same seller Steve mentioned later. Burned in in my CSP3 power positions, I enjoyed them...very good bottom definition, "big" sounding with nice detail and excellent spaciousness, nice midrange richness, warmth, and ambient information...but there is a little too much detail rigidity and midrange emphasis for me .... I kept craving micro detail to fill things out, feather edges and open the top a little more.

American Amperex 7308s can sound great too, natural sounding bass, and very quiet, revealing their seductive mids and upper mid textures and harmonics, but still I crave a more fine detail for better highs, more complex textures, faster nuance, and full spectrum spacial information.

The more I listen and read comments about other DACs, I realize my Tranquility DAC, as set up, is just really good at integrating fine detail with more obvious “courser” detail, and this may be a player in my interest in excellent micro information. I don’t know how specific this is to this DAC, but after a long time of refining the front end, I have proven to myself that more fine detail can contribute to solving the “detail” most of us cringe at when it is hard or sharp. Rather than reducing “detail” to solve “glare,” more micro detail can help solve it without masking.

Clearly not just tubes effect this. If it is not there at the source to begin with, or truncated along the way to the speakers, it is just not there. Particularly cables can “truncate” or mask fine detail. Also noise from power and vibration, not to mention room, often a big culprit in creating glare through amplification in that tonal region, and masking fine detail.

Having been picking up NOS tubes for many years, I have a lot of nice tubes. And in my system/room, though the 6H1Ns are really good for what they do, there are many tubes I like better.

Today, putting the Shuguangs in the CSP3 power position, their spacious power, big midrange, and bass definition made them seductive right off. I think I would say they are actually forgiving in bass. To make the Siemens E288CC I had been using closer in volume, I had to turn the front tube up a bit on the pots, or the master volume. [My most used input tube is an off-label PCC88 that I think is probably Telefunken. It has just a little extra clarity than many tubes, but is also really smooth, a little warm...musical. It is great for tuning the power tubes by turning the front pots up or down.] Comparing the 6H1N as power tubes, volume more-or-less matched, the Siemens have really good frequency balance, smoother detail, more spaciousness, faster, and notably more micro information...increasing texture, spacial information, harmonics, open highs...Aside from all the terms, they sound more like real music to me, more natural, complete and engaging.

My last CSP3 power tube was a particularly good sounding pair of Mullard E88CCs with parasol getters. Again, needing a little compensation with more volume, the Mullard is warmer than the E288CC and again provided much more subtle information than the Shuguang...more obvious textures than the Siemens, but I don't think that equates to more information...just a different feel….more “fine particles” with the Mullards from a warmer foundatoin. Some tubes this rich and warm can mask micro detail, but not these. In direct comparison to the 6H, the Mullard’s bass articulation is its downfall, but without comparison, the bass sounds natural if comparatively a little thick on some music. I think the 6H must not reveal all the bass information, skillfully clearing muddle, its bass attenuation very nicely done. A great quality here.

Finally, a tube I used for years off and on for the CSP3 power, a Sylvania made, Los Gatos labelled, late 50s D getter gold pin 6922...closer to the forwardness of the mids of the Shuguangs, but with more texture, spaciousness, and more balanced/complete ambient information. The Shuguangs focus more on the low to midrange ambience, again, missing fine detail. A very nice sound, but not complete.

In the MKIV Torii….comparing the Shuguangs to the 59 CBS labelled Siemens ECC88 I have been using, the Siemens are less dense and more balanced here…. less low-to-mid emphasis. Without hardness, they bring out notably more subtle information in balance, and great balance across the spectrum. More lucidity...spaciousness, texture, complete harmonic and ambient information, more air, all in part from excellent, quiet spaciousness that allows their exceptional micro detail to be experienced without pain. And with all that, they are pleasantly warm and nicely engaging...

Though I have tended to prefer 6922 or PCC88s for CSP3 power, I have never been a lover of 6922 types in the MKIV (in my system). I can enjoy them, but can’t say I ever prefer them for long. 6922 types just tend to be a little "too good" for me...a little big and articulate, whereas 6DJ8 or 7DJ8s are less forward, more spacious and textured, more to my liking. Like 6922s, the Shuguangs are nice, but a bit too big and pushy in my system/room in the Torii.

This whole preference thing is obviously system and room specific and preference based, and what works has changed over time for me. I finally seem to have accomplished some balance at smooth warmth without detail loss in the system/room in general. So even the cleanest input tubes are not as prone to being hard sounding as they once were. I think I have solved what many call glare elsewhere from input tubes, allowing me to savor detail on all levels with less fear of excess edginess or hardness. Still possible, but less-so.

The Shuguangs power makes them seductive in direct comparison, and I agree, they do have a really good spacious sound here, especially bass to mids. They also seem to have tonal qualities that make them a flexible tube, one that might work well in many settings if you are not like me, missing the fine detail. If they had more, I would very likely fall more deeply for them. But as-is, I have not been able to keep them in.

This does not mean they are not great tubes, just not what I am after at this point in my system/room. For 20 delivered though, ridiculously good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 12/11/16 at 02:01:05

I thought I'd add this...For about two years I have used a pair of triple mica 1960 Russian 6N1Ps in my output positions on the CSP3.  Syd also bought some, don't know if he still uses them.  I think these are the tubes this is the same seller and the price is the same.  $50 for a pair.  I've been pleased with them obviously since they've been there for 2 years...the front tube has been a Amperex white label 7308 or 6922. Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-TESTED-PAIR-6N5P-BLACK-BOXED-ANODE-3xMICA-CCa-6N1P-...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 12/11/16 at 18:48:55

Mark,

Hard to say, it has been so long since I listened to those 3 mica 6N1P. Since those and the 6H1N roll off the top a bit, if the the tonal qualities of the 6H1N suit you, I think you will find them quite engaging...Powerful, quiet, spacious and smooth, I like them in the CSP3 in all ways other than the limitations in fine detail and top end rolloff. But both your favored tubes, 6N1P and American Amperex 6922s do this too, so these will give a nice variation on the theme.

With the IC wires I have been exploring being more dense and powerful, I just put some RCA labelled Mullard ECC88s in the power places of the CSP3, reducing power and density a little from the E288CC I was using. With the bigger IC, this is a really nice balance. Beautiful. The great tube just all depends on the rest!

Hopefully the 6H1Ns will be just right there!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 12/11/16 at 19:20:37

Yup Will, you know what I like.  I can't even remember the last time I rolled any tubes...over a year at least.  I have a pair of Duelund Graphite Cast 10 ohm resistors to try on my HR-1 instead of the Mundorf Supremes of the same value but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it...things are so good.  I think I'll first try the Chinese tubes in place of the white label Amperex 7308s I have in the monoblocks.  And get the new resistors burned in for a while before introducing another variable.  I also bought another Voodoo interconnect from Lon.  I haven't decided where to use it though.  I have two Voodoo Evolution interconnects between the CSP3 and Torii and the ZP3 to the CSP3....they have been marvelous.  This new one, an Ultra-linear is supposed to be a bit better.  We'll see.   Mark.

PS...I couldn't remember what was in the front position of the CSP3...got a flash light and looked...a White label Amperex 6922.  Maybe I thought it toned down the treble a bit more than the 7308?  Can't remember.  Whatever I like what I hear  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 01/07/17 at 02:02:20

Ok, I had posted my impression of these tubes on the "What's Spinning" Thread because I couldn't remember where this one was.  I've now been listening with these in my Monoblocks for about 5 or 6 hours off and on.  I really like them and will cut and paste my old post below.  I went to the seller's current items and these tubes aren't listed but I am curious if anyone has tried this factory's power tubes.  They are very cheap...about 60 to 70 dollars for matched quads shipped.  If they are of similar quality as these input tubes they'd be a steal. Mark

I just put some of those Chinese input tubes into my monoblocks...I've forgotten the thread name so I'll comment here.  I'm on the second CD with them and they are nice.  Comparing them to Amperex white label 7308s, they are musical with a warm tone, they sound natural...or I should say the piano sounds natural.  Bass seems more pronounced and the treble a bit rolled off.  Definitely less detail but very nice indeed.  I think these might be great with the Omega Alinco speakers I have that tend to be a bit much for me on the high end.  I forget what they cost but with S&H I spent less that $80 for 8 tubes.  I recommend people try them.  They took about a month to get here.  Mark.

PS...they may improve with break in, also the weather here in Dallas has been very cold...21 degrees this morning, so these tubes no doubt will take a while to show their best.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 01/16/17 at 03:16:15

I had a pair breaking in for about four days in a CSP2 upstairs and tried them in the Torii Mk III in the main system a bit on Friday. NOT for me. Much prefer the Amperex 7308 in there and they went back in pretty quick. I'll call them the Mel Torme of tubes. A velvet fog settled over the music and I wanted the sky to clear.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 01/16/17 at 14:22:58

Lon, this past weekend in my main system I thought the input tube in the CSP3, a white label Amperex 6922, was sounding a little noisy so I tried something else.  I pulled one of these Chinese tubes out of my monoblocks since they'd been burned in maybe 25 to 50 hours.  I found them to be quite nice with the characteristics I've stated before. I would be quite happy with them but I agree they aren't as detailed and do roll off the treble a bit. In the main system this is no longer needed since my many tweaks to combat treble....voodoo cabling, nanotech speaker cables, resistors on the HR-1s and an Omega Sub.  I know you use even greater attenuation of the tweeter than I do...I use 10 ohm resistors, I think you use 30 ohm?  Anyway, what I'm getting at is I think you'd like these Chinese tubes better with less attenuation in the rest of your system.  But I agree it isn't a worthwhile endeavor when the 7308s and all your tweaks have given you what you like.  For the record, I put the Chinese tube back in the monoblock and put a White Label Amperex 7308 in the front position of the CSP3.  :)

With the Monoblocks though, things are different. I use a Jolida 100 with Raytheon 12ax7 tubes straight into the monoblocks without a pre amp...connected by the evolution interconnects.  I use the Zu Audio "Souls" as speakers because they are warmer and more satisfying overall in this system compared to the Omega Alincos I've tried here.  The Omegas are just too hot with many less than perfectly mastered CDs.  These Chinese tubes have been in the monoblocks for 10 days now and may just displace the Amperex 7803s. I am able to enjoy CDs that previously I'd pass by because of the hot treble.

I will at some point put the Omega Alinco XRS speakers with the monoblocks.  I think they'll shine with these tubes.  I've been slow to do so because moving speakers usually means a few days of exacerbated back pain.

So why have I commented?  I want to encourage all to try these tubes in your systems.  For 20 bucks shipped for a pair you can't beat them.  The problem is the source Steve listed has none now...I've looked several times.  There are three other sellers that have the exact same price, shipping, same photo and same wording from Taiwan.  I suspect they would be tubes from the batch Steve has found so good.  I would like to hear from others who have bought from alternative sellers.  Steve, who have you been buying from recently?  Back to the tunes...Art is playing.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 01/16/17 at 14:35:47

Mark, I'm glad you like them, and I'm also happy if anyone else tries them but it's more than just attenuation issues in my system, they are just not up to the quality of the 7308s in several ways and I just don't want to step down. I don't have another system to try them in (my other system uses a Taboo and different tube types) and if they solved a problem for me or were a clear step UP I'd use them. They don't, they aren't, and I'm not taking a step back.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 01/16/17 at 15:01:15

Lon, I guess I was mainly writing the post for those who might have been discouraged by your post, from trying these tubes.  In my main system, I came to the same conclusion you did.  In my second system, unlike in the main where I play Vinyl almost exclusively, I have to deal with imperfect CDs.  I haven't invested in the PS Audio CD playback you have which probably would improve things quite a bit.  I didn't see your classified until it was sold.  That was a great offer.  Maybe some day down the line.  I, like you, have many thousands of CDs so they will always be a part of my listening.

I still haven't put the 7308s back in the monoblocks.  To me that's the true test...do I like what I'm hearing enough to leave things be?  I have left the 7308 on top of the monoblocks so I'll eventually do it, if only temporarily to compare.

As an example, this 4 CD set of Live Art Pepper with the 7308s was just too hot and as a result it's been months since I'd listened to it and when I do I decrease the volume from what I prefer.  With these tubes I'm able to enjoy it much more.  :) Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 01/16/17 at 15:07:27

I'm glad they fixed a problem for you and I wouldn't want anyone to not try these out, especially at the prices they are going for. But I also had to honestly report my findings or be silent. . . I chose the former.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 01/17/17 at 20:20:02

I was initially impressed with these tubes - especially in Rachael and with my single driver OB setup.  A little warmth and weight was appreciated.

I still like them in certain situations but have gravitated back to my Russian single wire 6n23ps for everyday.  They are just a better all around tube for me.  I just wish the 6N23ps were $20 like these and not $200.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #40 - 01/18/17 at 18:16:48

Never had the desire to try them or trust the seller. I'm just fine as Lon mentioned with Amperex 7308's, or my Mullard 7308's and Ediswan's too.

I should say I had a pair of Amperex 7308's that were sent to me by mistake/listened to them. I returned them, but now......I might get a pair.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #41 - 01/18/17 at 19:44:30

Quote:
I still like them in certain situations but have gravitated back to my Russian single wire 6n23ps for everyday.  They are just a better all around tube for me.  I just wish the 6N23ps were $20 like these and not $200.

Are these close enough, or do they need to be older?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-MATCHED-6N23P-6-23-VOSKHOD-Single-Wire-TUBE-QUAD-6DJ8...

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #42 - 01/18/17 at 20:12:07

Also - doing my typical research - this is an interesting rabbit hole.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/515848/safe-tube-replacements-chart-along-with-recommen...

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 01/19/17 at 17:02:41

The tubes that I have read about, tried and liked have to be Reflektor plant made single wire getter, silver shield 6n23ps from 1974 or 1975.  The 75's are said to be better and I agree.

The Voskhod are supposedly not as good.  Neither are those from the '80s.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #44 - 01/19/17 at 18:01:34

Damnit...

How about late '90s vintage? LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-6N23P-EV-E88CC-6DJ8-ECC88-MATCHED-PAIR-NEW-FRESH-SUP...

Maybe I could try out your 23P vs my beat to hell Telefunkin next visit.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 01/23/17 at 21:55:00

Sounds good.  I'd love to hear the tele's.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print